Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2021, 05:11:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Did you know any logged user can submit a new article or download to the site?
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Obsidian Shadows - Midnight meets Diablo  (Read 11988 times)
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-7

AKA Draug

« on: October 20, 2006, 02:13:09 PM »

Inspired by one of Dirigble's ideas, and what little I ever enjoyed of the Diablo computer games: Obsidian Shadows – A Collaborative Project. Midnight's largest dungeon. It's not really a dungeon. It's not even canon Midnight. Still, I think it could be some non-serious, more “game” than “role-playing” fun.

This ain't finished. It's only just starting. Like I suggested in the title above, I hope this will be a collaborative project, meaning that any GM with a cool adventure or idea can toss it in, as long as it fits the theme. I'll take care of the main story, but I am of course willing to listen to both critics and suggestions.

Anyone with me on this one? Just for fun?

EDIT: I guess I wan't quite clear. This is not a PbP. It is a huge adventure/campaign, made by anyone who wants to participate in its design, and me.

PLAYERS

History
   It is the 123rd year of the Fourth Age, once known as the Last. An age which is coming to an end.
   After 100 years of darkness, the conflicts between the minions of the dark god finally boiled over, plunging the forces of evil into civil war. Orc turned on orc, legate on legate, and even the Night Kings waged war upon each other. The armies were decimated, the Order of Shadow shattered, and in the end, the Night Kings themselves lay lifeless on the ground, slain by the greatest monster of them all: Zardrix. The dragon though, was severely wounded, and retreated to her home of Theros Obsidia, where she still slumbers.
   In the midst of the chaos, one force of light emerged to champion the cause of mankind. In year 117, Erenland again hailed a true king. The return of a monarch to Erenland united the twice-shattered remnants of the kingdom once more, bringing their swords to bear on the Shadow's minion.
   Now, the rotting corpses of the shadow's armies lie strewn across the land, their banners the vantage points of hungry carrion birds. Across the land, the temples of the dark god fall to pieces as their mirrors, left untended, collapse. A New Alliance has been forged between the man and Fey, even with the orcs of the White Mother tribe.
   The world though, is not at peace, and what victories have been won have cost greatly. Still, vast hordes of darkness roam the land, and the shattered forces of good can do little but struggle to reconsolidate. Fell roam the wilderness, attacking any living creature in their hunger. Bastions of darkness still remain, and no mighty warriors remain to storm them.
   In the quest for stability, the king has put forth a call for the brave and skilled to perform daring tasks in the name of the old alliance. Shadows beyond the reach of conventional armies need burning. A call has been put forth, for new heroes. These brave few are sent to the most devastated corners of Eredane, in the hopes that they can bring peace and stability, or at least destroy the forces of the Shadow.

Character Generation
Starting level: 1st
Ability Points: 28
Available races: All, including orcs (White Mother tribe)
Available classes: All, except legate
Starting VP: Class maximum
Special: Characters will gain feats at every odd level (1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc.) instead of at every third level (1st, 3rd, 6th, 9th, etc.).

Prologue
   In the devastated north, Theros Obsidia stands in brooding silence. To the New Alliance, the situation of the greatest bastion of Izrador south of the Fortress Wall is now a mystery. A mystery you have been sent in a ship across the Pellurian Sea to unravel.
   You have seen the huge, dark ruin from the sea, but where unable to land in the city's rubble-clogged, wind-tossed harbor. You were forced to seek an other port. In the midst of bitter winds and freezing rain, you landed in the walled town of White Cliff. The town was hauntingly empty, abandoned by legates and orcs alike. The few people still lingering would surely have died this winter, had you not brought supplies aplenty. Slowly, they have flocked to your ship, the crew does its best to give them food and shelter. You, meanwhile, prepare to set out into the wilderness, where naught but evil can be waiting.

GAME MASTER

Overview
The party is to seek out and explore the ruins of Theros Obsidia, where they uncover a great danger. At its heart sleeps the greatest threat to Fey and man alike: Zardrix. Should the dragon awake, she could spell the doom of all that has been achieved in the last decades. Many minions of Izrador cling to her as their last hope for dominance south of the Fortress Wall, and strive to protect their sleeping champion. Between each other though, they have no trust, and have fortified themselves in different parts of the city, waiting for the dragon to awake. Outside the city walls, more evil flocks to the still-powerful symbol of the great black tower, but receive no aid from the beings within. Scattered, there is no little unity within the forces of evil, letting the heroes face down a divided enemy.

The campaign starts in White Cliff, a safe port for the PCs to use as a base of operations. They explore the city, and then outside it, gathering refugees, running errands, and so on. As they progress in levels, they begin moving south and inland, meeting more dangerous foes, and becoming more independent. It is here they catch the first news of Zardrix before reaching the walls of Highwall, which they cannot breach. Then, they go underground, hunting a means to beat the guardians of the gate into Highwall. Having beaten the gate, they occupy the gatehouse, and can begin exploring the city, taking on isolated factions as they advance on Theros Obsidia. In the end, they take the lower tower, and fortify its lighthouse. Then, they finally advance on Theros Obsidia, ultimately fighting a badly wounded Zardrix at the top.

Base is the character's starting point, and where they can return to rest and resupply. As they progress through an area, returning to base will be more and more time-consuming and dangerous. When they progress to a new area, their allies set up shop in a new location, so the PCs won't have to go all the way back to start unless they really want to. Area is the location where the quests should take place, but they could be of another sort. A village in the wilderness, a park in Highwall, or a small fort to delve into along the coast are all nice. A quest should have four encounters (things with CR), averaging at the party's average character level. An encounter is a flavorful idea that is better off being a stand-alone thing than as a part of a quest.

Levels 1-4
Terrain:[/b] Coastline
Base: White Cliff
Quests: 12
Encounters: 12

Levels 5-8
Terrain:[/b] Wilderness
Base: Village

Levels 9-12
Terrain:[/b] Underground
Base: Cave

Levels 13-16
Terrain:[/b] Ruins of Highwall
Base: City Gatehouse
Main Quest: Gain access to Theros Obsidia

Levels 17-20
Terrain:[/b] Theros Obsidia
Base: Lower Tower Lighthouse
Main Quest: Kill Zardrix
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 02:46:41 PM by Bleak Knight » Logged
Ghola
Lightbearer

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 02:25:15 PM »

You got your chocolate in my peanut butter!

Hmm, I like both Diablo II and Midnight.  However since I have the sourcebook detailing Theros Obsidia I don't know if I could be convinced to send a character in there.   Wink

edit:  Ah, saw your edit.  I mis-interpreted what you meant.  I think a group design project could be fun.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 02:34:10 PM by Ghola » Logged

"New heroes will arise, driven by fate, to lead the world out of darkness and herald the coming of a new dawn." -  Aran Noros of the Sahi Priesthood, Commentaries on Vesra’s “Prophecies of the Last Age”
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 02:41:45 PM »

Well, yes. But this version of Theros Obsidia is gutted and broken, an isolated bastion of evil. City of Shadow no longer counts.

EDIT: Yeah, this kind of just ranted out of me, so I had to add that nice, red sentence. Tongue
Dirigible
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-5

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 05:30:43 PM »

Rather than this alt-future thing, why not set it in one (or, even better, several) of MN's preexisting ruin / dungeons? An abandoned dwarven hold riddled with victorious, looting orcs, dwarven survivors and deep creatures of the Darguul; Ibon-Sul, with its countless demons and spiritspresided over by a Noble Demon; Cambrial or some other rancid hole of the undead; the Foul Bogs of Eris Aman, with warrens of ruins and countless weird monsters lurking in the fog?

Also, and this is just personal taste, I'd be inclined to stick to lower levels; perhaps capping at 10 or 12. Beyond that, even MIDNIGHT turns into a manksome numbercrunching exercise (at least, judging by the contents of Legends of Shadow it does).
Albert
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +7/-2

From the north

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006, 07:07:15 AM »

Well it's supposed to be a midnight-variant isn't it. This is certainly a variation from the usuall norm, while your ideas are all good Dir, they are regular midnight, more or less.

On a mechanical note, how will the economy be? If I were to write a few quests, should I include treasure like the DMG recommends, and thus write encounters based on the party having magical items. Or should I fit it to the midnight economy of year 99.

"You ever get the feeling that the universe is a vast, impersonal emptiness that exists only to hurt you?"
"Yes, it's how we know the DM is doing his job."
- 8 Bit Theatre
Ghola
Lightbearer

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006, 07:47:55 AM »

On a mechanical note, how will the economy be? If I were to write a few quests, should I include treasure like the DMG recommends, and thus write encounters based on the party having magical items. Or should I fit it to the midnight economy of year 99.

My guess would be that Eredane doesn't have a full-fledged "D&D" economy yet despite having seen a Return of the King (heh).  However items like old coins and jewelry are probably becoming considered worthy of trade again as society rebuilds; some of the Order of Shadow's magic item caches have probably been opened and scattered wide by the various factions.

I'd say assume traditional things like gold and gems be about half or a third of their listed value in VPs.  I doubt that many magic items will be for sale but it should be more likely to find them as loot now.  We could probably justify a greater eqiupment value by level for PCs - not as high as other settings maybe but 50%?
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006, 01:22:07 PM »

Albert, Ghola: I was not thinking of increasing the value of gold or coins, really. It could be done of course, but I think that in order to keep this Midnight'y, rewards should be more centered on practical stuff, and barter with traders in the bases. As for character values per level, the heroic paths are supposed to compensate for the lack of magic stuff, and I really think heroic paths should still be a part of this. Therefore, no increased equipment value - keep it at 30%.

As for magic items, since this is the area around Theros Obsidia, feel free to swamp the place with them. Probably quite a lot has been scattered around in the chaos before the city locked up. Just keep it within the regular Midnight levels.

Oh, and if you want to include special/powerful/covenant magic items, do so, but tell me, so we don't have an overload of them.

Dir: I contemplated all those ideas and locations, but ultimately, they don't lend themselves to this style of game quite as well as Theros Obsidia does. Mainly because they are regional-specific, and focus on other things than reaching - and destroying - ultimate evil. Around Theros Obsidia, you could justify just about any monster from any part of Eredane. Also, the advanced timeline justifies a party of any race and class combination, as well as the way in which they operate and are supported. It's cheesy, yeah, but it's sufficient.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 01:34:46 PM by Bleak Knight » Logged
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006, 02:30:29 PM »

Made a template for quests, and added sample text here and there, to avoid confusion (hopefully),

SAVE MR. MCGUFFIN
Available from:
Mrs McGuffin, Outside White Cliff
Character Level: 1
Description: Goblins have kidnapped Mrs. McGuffin's husband. She fears they plan to eat him. Mrs. McGuffin has a few minor charms she will give to the characters if they save him.

Encounter 1: Goblin Scouts
EL:
1/2
Terrain: Bushes (difficult terrain, 10% concealment, -1 atk penalty)
Enemy: 2 goblins (MM pg. X)
Tactics: Goblins are Hiding in the center of a 40 x 40 ft. patch of shrubs (Spot DC 14), and will hurl javelins on targets within 40 ft. before charging.
Treasure: 2 javelins, 2 hand axes, 2 small leather armors, 2 light shields, 3 days trail rations

Encounter 2: Starving Wolf
EL:
Terrain: Flat moorland
Enemy: Wolf (MM pg. Y)
Tactics: Wolf is moving across the moorlands. Will attack as soon as he sees characters. Charges physically weakest target and keep attacking that target
Treasure: Wolf pelt (16 vp), 4 wolf fangs (2 vp)

Encounter 3: Goblin Stash
EL:
Terrain: 30 x 30 ft. dell, surrounded by rocks and shrubbery (difficult terrain).
Enemy: 4 goblins (MM pg X)
Tactics: Goblins will hurl javelins at characters if at range, then charge. They will work two-and-two, attempting to team up on and flank targets.
Treasure: A Search check (DC 13) will reveal a poorly concealed hole in the ground, where the goblins have stashed some looted stuff. 3 flasks of acid, a tanglefoot bag, and a masterworked short-sword.
Special: Goblins are arguing about who should get the masterworked short sword. They suffer a -2 penalty to detect approaching enemies. After 5 rounds, they have decided that “fine, no-one will get it!”

Encounter 4: Goblin Cooking Pot
EL:
Terrain: Rocky ground (difficult terrain)
Enemy: Moog of the Cooking Pot, 4 goblins (MM pg. X)
Tactics: Goblins attack largest enemy in melee, attempting to flank. Moog hurls his axe at anyone attempting to go around his guards. He will overturn the cauldron of hot soup on any target who comes within melee range (1d4 fire, Ref [DC 13] for half). Then, he fights in melee with shortsword and shield
Treasure: 5 small wooden shields, 4 light maces, 1 short sword, 1 throwing axe, cauldron.
Special: Moog is preparing to partition McGuffin. All the goblins are standing around him, looking hungry (-2 to detect enemies). If characters do not attack within 3 round, Moog will hack of one arm, and the other one the next round. He performs a coup de grace on McGuffin on round 6, and the quest fails.

Conclusion
Mr. McGuffin is very happy to have her husband back. She gives each of the characters chose to get either a Fishbone Charm or a Tree Root Charm from her. She will also use her Heal skill on any characters for free. Finally, she points them in the direction of Mr Bob, who needs their help (has another quest for them).

Total Experience Points: 1350
Total Treasure Value:

Appendix 1: NPCs
Moog of the Cooking Pot

CR; HD (hp); Init; Spd ft.; AC; BAB/Grp; Atk; Full Atk; Space/Reach; AL; SA; SQ; SV Fort, Ref, Will; Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha
Skills and feats:
Equipment:
Spells:
Languages:

Appendix 2: Treasures
Fishbone Charm:
+2 on next Fortitude save against poison.
Tree Root Charm: +1 AC against next attack.
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2006, 07:59:16 AM »

How about simplifying the loot system. Instead of accurately detailing everything the PCs are carrying, just convert it to vp. Every encounter, they find loot according to the short table below. The DM can, of course, specify in what form this loot appears (food, materials, tools, etc.)

Loot Table
1-5:
Nothing.
6-10: 1d6 x 20 x average character level vp.
11-15: 2d6 x 20 x average character level vp.
16-20: 3d6 x 20 x average character level vp.

Assuming the players actually spend vp on expendables (scrolls, potions, ammunition, etc.) this should result in the PCs having a proper ammount of equipment every level.

EDIT: Doubled multiplier to x20.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2006, 01:58:24 PM by Bleak Knight » Logged
Albert
Insurgent Commander

From the north

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006, 01:40:21 PM »

Hm, okay. I'm partially sold, should I get writing on something?
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2006, 02:05:12 PM »

Grin

You can start writing adventures, or you can help me stat out the bosses I have planned. Regardless, it would be cool if at least some of the adventures were tied in with the bosses I have planned.

Also, here's a list on some magic stuff I thought up, in order to speed gameplay up to Diablo standards.

Spell Energy Recovery
Like healing, recovering spell energy usually takes a lot of time. Time better spent adventuring. In order to speed up the process of spell energy recovery, Spell Energy potions are available. These potions are created by a channeler shopkeeper, who sells them at the base.

Lesser Potion of Spell Energy
Sold at:
Village, Cave, Gatehouse and Lighthouse
Effect: When drunk (standard action), potion restores 1 point of spell energy.
Market value: 50 vp.

Potion of Spell Energy
Sold at:
Cave, Gatehouse and Lighthouse.
Effect: When drunk (standard action), potion restores 2 points of spell energy.
Market value: 150 vp.

Improved Potion of Spell Energy
Sold at:
Gatehouse and Lighthouse.
Effect: When drunk (standard action), potion restores 3 points of spell energy.
Market value: 450 vp.

Greater Potion of Spell Energy
Sold at:
Lighthouse.
Effect: When drunk (standard action), potion restores 4 points of spell energy.
Market value: 1,350 vp.

Beating Death[/u]
Death happens, even to the heroes. However, rolling up a new character takes time, time better spent destroying evils. The following items are new magic items available to the heroes, intended on preventing the loss of a character.

Heartwarder Charm
Sold at:
White Cliff, Village, Cave, Gatehouse, Lighthouse
Effect: When a character drops to negative hit points, he will immediately stabilize, without having to make a roll. This does not happen if the character is still standing, such as through the Diehard feat or some other trait.
Market value: 25 vp.

Resurrection Signet
Sold at:
Village after defeat of Conlan, Cave, Gatehouse, Lighthouse
Effect: If the character dies, he will be restored to life as per the Reincarnate spell, but with no race randomization, at the end of the encounter. The level loss will be recovered the next time the character gains experience points.
Market value: 280 vp.

Rune of Healing
Sold at:
Gatehouse after defeat of Fundrin, Lighthouse
Effect: When the character is reduced to negative hit points, he is immediately subjected to a Heal spell as if cast by a 15th level channeler. This restores 150 hit points, and removes any afflictions the character is suffering from.
Market value: 2,100 vp.

Fire of Rebirth
Sold at:
Lighthouse after defeat of Obsidian Golem.
Effect: If the character dies, his body and equipment bursts into fire, and is restored to life as per the True Healing spell as cast by a 17th level cleric at the nearest desecrated (light-enshrouded) shrine to Izrador. The character retains all his equipment.
Market Value: 26,530 vp.
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2006, 02:06:03 PM »

BOSS LIST
So, I drummed up a list of bad-guys that the characters can fight just before leveling up. Though they might seem little more than names and class descriptions right now, there is some coherency between them, and many of them lead to another boss.

All these boys and girls have to be statted out. Help, please. Feel free to design the encounter revolving around that one bad-guy too. Make 'em cool. The number before each boss signifies the average character level anticipated for characters fighting the boss, and the EL should be the character's level, or one or two levels higher.

Coastline (1-4)
1: Magruub, Goblin Shaman, Goblin Channeler 1
2: Yolden, Bandit Leader, Erenlander Rogue 2
3: Torek, Fell Knight, Dorn Ungral Fighter 3
4: Kurdung, Orc Sergeant, Orc Fighter 3

Wilderness (5-8)
5: Shaarg, Orc Boss, Orc Barbarian 4
6: Caranathil, Blackwood Company Captain, Caransil Fighter 5/Elven Raider 1
7: Hernon, Corrupted Channeler, Erenlander Channeler 5/Dark Channeler 2
8: Conlan, Werewolf Alpha Male, Dorn Werewolf Barbarian 6

Underground (9-12)
9: Rorguum, Goblin King, Goblin Fighter 4/Wildlander 1/Beast Tamer 4
10: Spider Queen, Awakened CR 10 Monstrous Spider
11: Usharagha, Orc Witch, Orc Channeler 8/Kurasatch Udareen 3
12: Fryndwen, Ghost Sword Brother, Dorn Ghost Fighter 2/Legate 4/Sword Brother 5

Highwall (13-16)
13: Gorak, Orc Warlord, Orc Fighter 10/Orc Warlord 3
14: Fundrin, Blackblood Lord, Clan Dwarf Channeler 3/Dwarven Loremaster  4/Dark Channeler 8
15: (Named in City of Shadow), Blackwood Company Commander, Caransil Fighter 5/Elven Raider 10
16: Sarshal, Vampiric Grandmaster, Sarcosan Vampire Legate 6/Legate Martial 8

Theros Obsidia (17-20)
17: Obsidian Golem, CR 18 Construct
18: Viradruz, Demon Prince, CR 18 Evil Outsider
19: Teros Vilosa, Greater Legate, Erenlander Lich Legate 18
20: Zardrix, Night Queen

Who does who?
Bleak Knight:[/b] Hernon (7), Conlan (8), Rorguun (9), Fryndwen (12), Fundrin (14), Sarshal (16)
Ghola: Kurdung (4), Shaarg (5)
Albert: Magruub (1), Spider Queen (10)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 09:06:01 PM by Bleak Knight » Logged
smeagol
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +9/-2

Hiding from Shadow

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2006, 12:39:51 AM »

Wow. Amazing work! Perhaps you could send it to Blizzard Software, they would make a Diablo-like game with your ideas?

"Il n'est pas besoin d'espérer pour entreprendre ni de réussir pour persévérer" - Devise de la famille d'Orange
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2006, 08:11:51 AM »

Thanks man. Grin

Unfortunately, this is still limited by FFG's ownership of Midnight, so there's precious little I can do but make a fan-contribution. If I knew how to program, skin, etc., I suppose I could make a Diablo-mod, but I don't know squat about software. It'll have to stay a board/rpg game. Tongue

I will, however, happily treasure that sentence for the time when I try to contact one of those game-designers in order to get a job as an author there. Smiley
Ghola
Lightbearer

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2006, 10:24:10 AM »

Wilderness (5-8)
5: Shaarg, Orc Boss, Orc Barbarian 4

I have a nasty idea for this one I'd like to try.
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 02:06:35 PM »

Sure!

Also, if you want to do the adventure around him, it's yours, if you also do Kurdung, and tie them together. Kurdung needs to be holding a position which will let the players cross an obstacle (river, chasm, other impassable) to enter the Wilderness.

That ok with you?
Ghola
Lightbearer

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 02:46:37 PM »

I can do that - it works out rather well actually.
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 08:15:32 PM »

Roger that. Consider yourself added to the writing list.
Albert
Insurgent Commander

From the north

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006, 10:53:32 AM »

I could try Magruub, or the spider queen, I think I have some good ideas for those.
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 08:43:54 PM »

Awesome, you're enlisted for both! Wink
Song_of_Shadow
Lightbearer

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 01:11:07 AM »

Anyone thinking of a Diablo II Mod?  Evil
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 08:19:08 AM »

No programing/skinning/game-related computer skills at all. Sorry.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  GM's Corner (Moderators: Bleak Knight, Glacialis)  |  Topic: Obsidian Shadows - Midnight meets Diablo
Jump to: