Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2021, 10:07:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

If you are unsure how a given part of the site will work, try using the help page, it can help you use codes and navigate the site.
Pages: 1 [2]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: two - 2 - two campaigns in one! **SPOILER WARNING** (my players stay out)  (Read 14534 times)
Nifelhein
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +22/-0

Whisper's Will

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2006, 12:13:52 PM »

They all cleared, according to canon, there are common magic items and covenant magic items, mains difference is that those made by a chaneler are channeld magic, those made by a legate are divine magic and covenant ones are innate magic, meaning astirax can detect only those made by a channeler.

It isn't very common to see any kind of magic item in midnight, though, and that is what the heroic paths are there, but there isn't any rule that defines how many a character should have, some are weaker and others are pwoerful, but they al were made with the progressing ablities in order to make them useful all the way and still occupy a part of the character's wealth, not all of it. This means there is room for some other items, perhaps even some covenant or ordinary magical items. This comes from Wil Upchurch's words of how he made the first covenant items for the setting.

There are no special requisites to use any covenant item, unless stated in its dedscription, and covenant items are not intelligent as a rule, they may or not be, meaning they don't make any difference between a legate or an elf, or whether a character has an heroic path or not.

Supposedly heroic paths are unecessary for the NPCs of a world, sicne the Gm can adjust their level and equipment as needed by the game, it isn't demanded as a PC only thing, but it is very often advised and used that way. We have had word from Wil Upchurch on this, he was one of those behind Midnight.

Nothing wrong in having any other approach though, as long as you know that we use a different one in our games and our ideas and suggestions are based on the general rulings. Wink

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects."
 - Attributed to Herman Melville.
kevperrine
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +2/-1

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2006, 03:02:01 PM »

Nothing wrong in having any other approach though, as long as you know that we use a different one in our games and our ideas and suggestions are based on the general rulings. Wink

very true.
I just like knowing the base "canon" for general rulling before making it up on my own.
thanks

best,
-kev-
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2006, 02:22:22 PM »

Hey all...
Thought I'd toss out the starting idea I have for my SOUTHERN party.  See what you think. 

you can take a look for further thoughts at this thread...

http://www.againsttheshadow.org/index.php?topic=364.new#new
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 04:38:35 PM by kevperrine » Logged
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2006, 04:49:14 PM »

kev,

ove the opening and while it first sounded strange the end of scene 1 is fantastic, don't overlook that, really, I was going to suggest that you use a large boar, native to the northlands, which you can see at Heart of Shadow's cover, but what you have is far more interesting, really, specially if this could be the reason for the "dog" in the name.

In scene 2 the spell might be daze itself (normally 1 round) or even hold person, though that is a bit drastic, but can work. Simply hit him, ask for him to roll a 1d6 and then state that is how the vision lasts, perhaps it can all starte with some cloth that hangs on the teeth of the stag, or because of a piece of human finger (or whatever race you want) that it was eating and the orc sees it right before being hit. Avoid the spell thing, make him know it is a triggered event.

The speech may have him suddenly stand, and look toward each of the characters in awe, his eyes wided open, he loks at each of them and sees not the races and people they are, but the image of their own heroic paths, a bit of the world's essence, much like spirits, but with small traces of their own races in it, much like dryads and plants are, but somehow divine in nature, a beats looks like a wolfly humanoid, a giantblooded is larger and looks almost like a mountain itself, a dragonblooded looks like a humanoid dragon standing in two legs, and so on. This may not be very interesting if they are all from paths without much metaphorical potential though.

Let him cry, not because of the vision, but for its meaning, let him say, that he thanks them for giving him sight back once in his tortured life, and giving hope in a world lost to shadow. I am certain other people may come up with better ideas. Wink

The scene with the hunting, give them a sight of a dying hand on a throne, viewing it from the back of it, and a man in his late twenties is bowed ahead, his head is shaved and has tatooes around his forehead, a voicee that seems to come out of the grave, strong but failing, tells them that a band of orcs has run out of control on the X area, that they are to be tracked down and identified, if they fail to explain the situation properly, theya re to be eliminated, and the man stands up and leaves. He could be called simply Tracker, Hunter, Sniffer or whatever. Or even given a name, then allow them to recognize it, the hand is the first thign they see, perhaps with the coming visions they will see more and more of this villain, until they actually can identify him, though it could be based on a herald on the wall behind the throne wjhile the figue is there, covered in shadows, seen but not clearly. Wink

Call the underground thing simply smuggling tunnels, it helps define them pretty fast. Teh family should be a little too nervous too, maybe sweating a lot, or even looking lazy because they can't bluff their situation very well, they will probably be taken by a child and a few children though, who would think those would not help but turn you in? Only Midnight old timers. Wink

For chaining there is the manacles in the PHB, though we all like to chain people to one another and have diseased die in the way, the orcs wouldn't take any dead out, so it would be their problem to deal with if the person comes out of his/hers "eternal" sleep.

For Goblins looka t the end of the Midnight book, there are sniffers there, and you can easily add a leve to the Monster Manual goblins, same for the other NPCs. There is a NPC Generator around General (still beta) that you can use to add levels to the orc though, and if you use an erenlander you would jsut have to lower a few things for the other races. The generator also has names with it, so you can randomly determine them with it or use some sites on the web to =choose a few name s(There is a thread on names around here too, I linked lots of places to look for this information, and a list on a few real world culture names that might fit the races of Midnight.

Perhaps the blind man has the quil from a group of people that saved him, they somehow lefft it with him while they took him out of his misery, where he has lost his sight. At that moment he noticed spiritual signatures, but not much and he confused the sight with actual one, perhaps this comes up in his speech too. It would be much more coincidence (or fate) than actual intent. Wink

Leading them to Cambrial leads them to a place filled with the dead, Jahzir's plan could include no military support to the city itself, or merely a withdraw of the troops that attack the elves on the southern portions of the caraheen, eprhaps he asks the greatest warriors to fall back, but not much for the characters to actually see and recognize in there, speak fo the Flame Axe, the Fey killer general and a couple of other named orcs.

That is all i have for now (and I have to go too). mrgreen

kevperrine
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2006, 05:34:09 PM »

ove the opening and while it first sounded strange the end of scene 1 is fantastic, don't overlook that, really, I was going to suggest that you use a large boar, native to the northlands, which you can see at Heart of Shadow's cover, but what you have is far more interesting, really, specially if this could be the reason for the "dog" in the name.

heheh... thanks.
Which part at the end? 

Were you suggesting a Boar for the Bad Guy Orc?  I like that alot too - however I'm sort of thinking ahead to my NORTHERN party as well...  Trying to use "north" feeling things up there...  for some reason I think boar and cold go together.  weird.  Anyway.

I was thinking... here are the forces for this bit:

IN VISION  ("make new characters" version)
1 Orc, 3rd level Wildlander  (CR 3)
1 Worg (CR 2)  the Orc's mount
21 Goblins  (CR 1/3)
19 Dire Rats  (CR 1/3)  Goblin mounts
2 Wolves  (CR 1)  the Goblin Captain mounts

IN REALITY  ("run away" version)
1 Orc  (CR 1/2)
9 Goblins  (CR 1/3)
7 Dire Rats  (CR 1/3)  Goblin mounts

As you can see - I don't play around...
The vision is supposed to be "enhanced" view of his brother hence he's tougher and has more troops.
But even in reality it's a tough fight, really tough.  I don't believe in "random encounters" in Midnight.  This will put fear in them for sure.

Any thoughts on changing things?
How about "treasure" or weapons or items the bad guys should have...

In scene 2 the spell might be daze itself (normally 1 round) or even hold person, though that is a bit drastic, but can work. Simply hit him, ask for him to roll a 1d6 and then state that is how the vision lasts, perhaps it can all starte with some cloth that hangs on the teeth of the stag, or because of a piece of human finger (or whatever race you want) that it was eating and the orc sees it right before being hit. Avoid the spell thing, make him know it is a triggered event.

After looking -  I agree.
My thought is that the Orc is just flushing the Stag out as the scene starts...  His vision that hits is trouble for the Elf, who's dealing with the Stag.  The Orc will be away from that, somewhat "safe"...
So he won't be "hit" by anything. 
I was thinking the thrust of the vision just dazed him a few seconds  (I'll make sure and let the player know that this won't happen in combat all the time - it's his Heroic Path - NOT a flaw)

So all I'm going to do is have him make a Willpower check each round the Elf fights...  the DC will start high at  18,  then drop 2 every round...  something like that.  Or rather this will be a "floating" DC...  for the dramatically appropriate point he should be able to come out of it...  Smiley

The speech may have him suddenly stand, and look toward each of the characters in awe, his eyes wided open, he loks at each of them and sees not the races and people they are, but the image of their own heroic paths, a bit of the world's essence, much like spirits, but with small traces of their own races in it, much like dryads and plants are, but somehow divine in nature, a beats looks like a wolfly humanoid, a giantblooded is larger and looks almost like a mountain itself, a dragonblooded looks like a humanoid dragon standing in two legs, and so on. This may not be very interesting if they are all from paths without much metaphorical potential though.

Let him cry, not because of the vision, but for its meaning, let him say, that he thanks them for giving him sight back once in his tortured life, and giving hope in a world lost to shadow. I am certain other people may come up with better ideas. Wink

I like the seeing the other PC's Heroic Path thing!  I'm not sure where you're meaning to put it in at... I assume in the dream of watching the beheadings...  The other PC's Heroic Paths are:
-  Naturefriend
-  Charismatic
-  Foundling
-  ???

Any ideas on their "avatars"?

The scene with the hunting, give them a sight of a dying hand on a throne, viewing it from the back of it, and a man in his late twenties is bowed ahead, his head is shaved and has tatooes around his forehead, a voicee that seems to come out of the grave, strong but failing, tells them that a band of orcs has run out of control on the X area, that they are to be tracked down and identified, if they fail to explain the situation properly, theya re to be eliminated, and the man stands up and leaves. He could be called simply Tracker, Hunter, Sniffer or whatever. Or even given a name, then allow them to recognize it, the hand is the first thign they see, perhaps with the coming visions they will see more and more of this villain, until they actually can identify him, though it could be based on a herald on the wall behind the throne wjhile the figue is there, covered in shadows, seen but not clearly. Wink 

I really dig this.
I'm having a hard time understanding how and where you're suggesting to add it.  And MOST importantly - who is it?  Where you thinking it to be a new NPC  or  possibly a named NPC  (like Jahzir!  from the past?)

Call the underground thing simply smuggling tunnels, it helps define them pretty fast. Teh family should be a little too nervous too, maybe sweating a lot, or even looking lazy because they can't bluff their situation very well, they will probably be taken by a child and a few children though, who would think those would not help but turn you in? Only Midnight old timers. Wink 

Cool!  but again confused a little.
Are you suggesting that it be the KIDS that are the traitors to betray the PCs?  Or their parents?
I was thinking it would be their parents and a teen  (possibly with a heroic path)  that helps them out if they go the diplomacy route.

In fact THIS might be a neat place to intro one of my things from my previous campaigns...  "Fey not birthed fey"  a prophecy of a child to be born of a Human mother and an Orc father.  The first/only half-orc!   In prophecy either a Messiah or Pariah to the world...  In my timeline (that's flexible still) the child would be very very young if not still in his mother's belly...  Which could be cool to have a pregnant mother carrying the anti-christ figure!

For chaining there is the manacles in the PHB, though we all like to chain people to one another and have diseased die in the way, the orcs wouldn't take any dead out, so it would be their problem to deal with if the person comes out of his/hers "eternal" sleep.

For Goblins looka t the end of the Midnight book, there are sniffers there, and you can easily add a leve to the Monster Manual goblins, same for the other NPCs. There is a NPC Generator around General (still beta) that you can use to add levels to the orc though, and if you use an erenlander you would jsut have to lower a few things for the other races. The generator also has names with it, so you can randomly determine them with it or use some sites on the web to =choose a few name s(There is a thread on names around here too, I linked lots of places to look for this information, and a list on a few real world culture names that might fit the races of Midnight.

this is all cool.
I know about most of the stuff you mentioned.  Cool!

Perhaps the blind man has the quil from a group of people that saved him, they somehow lefft it with him while they took him out of his misery, where he has lost his sight. At that moment he noticed spiritual signatures, but not much and he confused the sight with actual one, perhaps this comes up in his speech too. It would be much more coincidence (or fate) than actual intent. Wink 

These are neat ideas...  I'll explore that.
I could see the old blind man being a former "Seer" hero...  maybe that's why he made friends with the Orc.  He is now blind (Jahzir or the Traitor Prince of Alvedara put out his eyes long ago)  but he can NOW see people's Heroic Paths!

Leading them to Cambrial leads them to a place filled with the dead, Jahzir's plan could include no military support to the city itself, or merely a withdraw of the troops that attack the elves on the southern portions of the caraheen, eprhaps he asks the greatest warriors to fall back, but not much for the characters to actually see and recognize in there, speak fo the Flame Axe, the Fey killer general and a couple of other named orcs.

Great stuff.
Thanks!

I'll be thinking of more to add... 

Anyone else?
-kev-
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2006, 12:09:17 PM »

heheh... thanks.
Which part at the end?

Sorry, i have tried to avoid speaking too much of the post you made, so your players wouldn't egt much info out of mine, but then, it became confusing. We are in the DM's Corner and if they want to read it, there is no stopping them, so i will just be careless now. I meant the bit with gnolls being used as mounts, it sounded odd, but as i thought more on the idea, it sounded great, perhaps they would need to get larger and a bit more stupid, but the idea of mounts going biped sounded like a great twist. I wouldn't make it general, though, tie it to this orc group and then make the name "The Dog" come from that, this would make them a unique group with some concern from higher authorities sent their way.

Were you suggesting a Boar for the Bad Guy Orc?  I like that alot too - however I'm sort of thinking ahead to my NORTHERN party as well...  Trying to use "north" feeling things up there...  for some reason I think boar and cold go together.  weird.  Anyway.

In the Heart of Shadow book they present a large boar from the frozen north that the ortcs train as mounts, in the cover (which you can see here) there is an orc mounted in one. So you are not the only one with boars and cold tied together. That was what i was suggesting with teh boar thing, that the orc's mounts  could be those instead, if you drop the original idea, which i like very much.

I was thinking... here are the forces for this bit:

IN VISION  ("make new characters" version)
1 Orc, 3rd level Wildlander  (CR 3)
21 Goblins  (CR 1/3)
19 Dire Rats  (CR 1/3)  Goblin mounts

IN REALITY  ("run away" version)
1 Orc  (CR 1/2)
9 Goblins  (CR 1/3)
7 Dire Rats  (CR 1/3)  Goblin mounts

As you can see - I don't play around...
The vision is supposed to be "enhanced" view of his brother hence he's tougher and has more troops.
But even in reality it's a tough fight, really tough.  I don't believe in "random encounters" in Midnight.  This will put fear in them for sure.

Any thoughts on changing things?
How about "treasure" or weapons or items the bad guys should have...

I would make the golbins be mounted on wolves, mainly because that is referenced mroe than once in Midnight books, in the real thing you could make only the captains have mounts and the other goblins be on foot, perhaps with a few sniffers along too. Other than that I figure your numbers are a little large on the real thing, but I don't remember which level they are starting, so it may be fine. The Worg is far more powerful than the orc, though, i would change that by keeping the orc's levela t 3 and making run once half of the goblins are deatl with, perhaps he won't fight at all, only watch as his minions are at it. This makes him the first villain to be able to appear later and also, makes things sound mroe relistic in that not everyone will willingly fight to the death.

On the treasure, be certain to ahev the goblins or some opponents wear equipment useful to the party, if one wants a swrord, another a bow and another one a whip, give those to them, there is really no reason to give them treasure, but spoils of "war" are really one thing they have to look forward to.

After looking -  I agree.
My thought is that the Orc is just flushing the Stag out as the scene starts...  His vision that hits is trouble for the Elf, who's dealing with the Stag.  The Orc will be away from that, somewhat "safe"...
So he won't be "hit" by anything. 
I was thinking the thrust of the vision just dazed him a few seconds  (I'll make sure and let the player know that this won't happen in combat all the time - it's his Heroic Path - NOT a flaw)

let the orc start the scene as you have pictured, then as the stag moves away, he gazes at the ground, where the animal was eating and notices blood, in the ground he sees a human baby carcass, as he gazes at it and before he can act on it and tell his friend of what danger is coming his way, the baby's eyes seem to suddenly open, and stare back at him, then he seems to faint, and when he wakes up, it is all his visions, not the real thing. The whole things lasts a few seconds, but he does not know how long, after the scene is over, let him roll 1d4 and after that many rounds let him come to aid his friend against the stag.

This would make him be certain it isn't the enemy's attack or anything like it, just another vision, and give him a sense of danger in when his visions may come up, to the player you tell tgat this is being done the way it is because it is criticla to the start of the adventure, and it won't be common, for it is not a flaw. That shoudl cover all your needs and assure him his character is not putting others in danger.

So all I'm going to do is have him make a Willpower check each round the Elf fights...  the DC will start high at  18,  then drop 2 every round...  something like that.  Or rather this will be a "floating" DC...  for the dramatically appropriate point he should be able to come out of it...  Smiley

It may not be necessary, but then you may want to give him some chance to abort the vision before it ends. you can define some critical moments for the vision, divide it in 4 parts, then the palyer the first part, then come back to the table, play the first round of combat against the stag, then go back to the orc player and incorporate the scene on the stag and his ally into the vision, he hears his friend's screams and knows he is in danger, but not at risk of death yet, then go alternating, if the seer wants to abort the scene before it is over, let him do it, it may actually help the story that way, if he goes through all 4 parts, he wakes on the beggining of the 5th round of combat and helps his ally.

Perhaps the orc actually sends th stag away while he had the vision, ask his own friend to roll a will save when he sees the orc's face while having the vision.

I like the seeing the other PC's Heroic Path thing!  I'm not sure where you're meaning to put it in at... I assume in the dream of watching the beheadings...  The other PC's Heroic Paths are:
-  Naturefriend
-  Charismatic
-  Foundling
-  ???

Any ideas on their "avatars"?

I though the visions were how the blind man would see the Characters with heroic paths, so it would be part of his speech, I would say a naturefriend would have animal features, a wolf's ears, human like face, his hair blows almost like leaves, his body is covered with small plants and all around him small birds and animals gather, butterflies, rabbits and many other animals. Charismatic could look like a king or queen of his own race, with a noble face and imposing figure his presence is almost supernatural, but then, it is felt more than seen. Foundling would have a spectral a´ppearence, perhaps even looking like more than one soul, you can also coverge other souls around him, sometimes mixing with him, others making it blink and sparkle.

The idea is that the blind man would see that and naturally know they are not common people, perhaps that is all he can see, he then speaks of each of them in their most intimate selves, speaking of their gifts and thoughts, almost like he had a pwoer himself, one to identify and see those who are given power, by Aryth itself. This man could then become an essential part of the plot too, maybe the group in the past finds out about him later one, while the one in the present (the one we have been debating lately) knows him already, but may have to leave him behind, to return later, but now knowing more about him.

I really dig this.
I'm having a hard time understanding how and where you're suggesting to add it.  And MOST importantly - who is it?  Where you thinking it to be a new NPC  or  possibly a named NPC  (like Jahzir!  from the past?)

I suggested that for the following cutscene:

CUT SCENE
[elsewhere...  ]
-  this is where I would like to introduce a reaccuring cut scene event of a regional legate or sussar or traitor prince  that  will be looking for the PCs eventually... This will either be tied to the overall plots  or  specifically with the fact this other band of Orcs are invading HIS territory!
-  any ideas???

I thought you coudl either make up a reocurring villain for The Tracker, and then ahve the Big Bad Guy in the throne figure, i woudl personaly let that oen be someone they can actually end up facing against, perhaps a traitor prince, a false sussar or someone tied to some PCs background. The thing is, you can let the Players help you in that,a s they start talking on wo he (or she) may be, they may end up making lots of plots and give you some good udas, then you can use those in the game for great effect.

Cool!  but again confused a little.
Are you suggesting that it be the KIDS that are the traitors to betray the PCs?  Or their parents?
I was thinking it would be their parents and a teen  (possibly with a heroic path)  that helps them out if they go the diplomacy route.

The idea is that they will actually want to bargain with those who captured them, so a mother and two small children (no more than twelve years old, one with about 6 woudl be perfect) would be those who trap them, let them know that this woman's husband has died, maybe with her child, maybe the baby that the stag ate was her nweborn infant, this will give them some empathy toward the family, and make them less prone to butcher them in their attempt to walk away.

It also presents them with the ahrdship of daily life under the shadow and how Midnight is all about moral choices. Wink

In fact THIS might be a neat place to intro one of my things from my previous campaigns...  "Fey not birthed fey"  a prophecy of a child to be born of a Human mother and an Orc father.  The first/only half-orc!   In prophecy either a Messiah or Pariah to the world...  In my timeline (that's flexible still) the child would be very very young if not still in his mother's belly...  Which could be cool to have a pregnant mother carrying the anti-christ figure!

Well, i don't like the half orc half human thing myself, but perhaps it could be introduced later in the game, you can start giving the orc a few vague visions every session starting on session 5 and ending on session 15, for example, then when you put the thing there, it sounds oddly familiar and makes them feel there is a lingering plot and overeaching one in your game. Wink

this is all cool.
I know about most of the stuff you mentioned.  Cool!

In case anyone is wodnering, the names thread is here and we also need to build a betetr alternative if you don't like what I presented there, it is not the result of the longer debate in the od site, but actually my own thoughs as presented there. And the generator can be found in the downloads section (1st edition midnight version) or in this thread (2nd edition Midnight version).

These are neat ideas...  I'll explore that.
I could see the old blind man being a former "Seer" hero...  maybe that's why he made friends with the Orc.  He is now blind (Jahzir or the Traitor Prince of Alvedara put out his eyes long ago)  but he can NOW see people's Heroic Paths!

I would say the man is a prophet of sorts, with the only special ability in seeing the gift in others, he could be invaluable to the shadow as a tool to find those with such powers, and so tending toward opposing the Shadow, and even mroe the the resistance, as a way of knowing friend from foe regardless of appearence. he could have lost sight because of the shadow, maybe he had them offered to a corith, and in the aftermarth that was why he got this special vision. perhaps the Tracker is actually the one who ahd his eyes rooted out. Just some more thoughts.

I hope this was less confusing then the original reply. Wink
kevperrine
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2006, 02:37:49 PM »

here's a recap of the events of the game I planned above...

SOUTHERN CHAPTERS
"BAND OF BROTHERS" | Book 1
In this story arc we meet the main characters of the Midnight Chronicles of the Southern region.

chapter # 1:1  --  "Tomorrow's Allies" , October 14, 2006.
RECAP:
The sun loomed over the southern land like a vulture circling rotting meat. Our story begins amid the damp gloom of the sparsely wooded region only a few days from the Aruun Jungles of the lower Erethor. Kyuad's face slaps against the rot of a tree stump set just below a small ridge, his head resting beside the Sarcosan war hero ShadowWall. The Erenland sage and the elder captive had been routed off the land by a roudy Goblin scout squad. Not more than a stride away a fellow Erenlander called Thorton felt his muscles stress as he was hoisted to his feet. Both men clasp in iron manacles seemingly prone to the shadow's maw. With a putrid belch the Orc called Radagug the Dog spewed commands to the young defender in a tongue barely understood by either men. Jerking Thorton about the noose fell around his neck and quickly tightened - the Dog stepped back the full distance this man-catcher noose would allow at his goblin horde cackled with glee.
            "ROUK-DROK FRAGA KILL OOL KROGLE HU-MON!! ROUK-DROK FRAGA KILL!! ROOG DWORF-AXE"
            The sickly Orc blasted motioning for Thorton to catch the Dwarven Urgosh he was about to throw...
            It seemed this hellish band delighted in torturing their victims by forcing one to sever the other's head! The twisted cadre amid the Goblin Dogs bound one over the other to watch ripping and tearing skin and cloth from the neck of poor Kyuad. The disgusting mounts best described as rat-things seemed to be coralling their goblin masters as the mob grew with anticipation. While the other mounts, two malnutritioned wolves and Radagug's own worg, seemed bored by the entertainment.

But the Erenlanders would not be alone this day. Downwind spying from beyond the tree cover the spry Elf Eranon watched with the most unusual of companions - an Orc called Durgaz. Durgaz knew this land, he had just been here less than a week ago visiting with the old Sarcosan rider hereabouts... Only moments from seeing heads roll, one way or another, Durgaz stepped from the trees. Durgaz also knew this Orc, the Dog was his elder brother!!

It hadn't been long that Durgaz had broken from his tribe. If Orc family names could be descraced this would have surely done so, but as one brother turned from the Shadow to have the light wash over his face the other stepped into his footfalls hoping to prove that even thoguh he had been the runt of their family, he would not be the black sheep. The challenge was issued and Radagug accepted as only a slimy Orc would, he barked orders to the Goblin Dogs to KILL THE TRAITOR - so much for honor! Meanwhile beyond in the trees Erenon showered arrows down on the rat-things as both Thorton and Kyuad looked to free themselves while the distraction was made. The men did not know these fey coming to their aid, but they needed no invitation to escape. Several theatres of combat opened as most of the Goblin Dogs, numbering some 20+, threw themselves at the Orc Hero as he again belowed to challenge his brother. Rat-things encroached on the elf, surprising him as they climbed the tree - they began to speak!! The mounts these goblins road could only be the twisted form of Dire Rats, and they seemed to be craving the sweet meats of elf flesh regardless of the Dire Beast truce with the Witch Queen. The battles would end as Durgaz sliced his elder brother nearly in half. But rather than run, the orc commander's goblin horde and their animals crowded around Durgaz as if mezmerized... And from where Radagug's corspe fell a monster arose cradling a child amid his entrails that buldged from his wound!

But this would not be... As Durgaz's eyes blurred, coming back to focus on a dead child at his feet! This battle was not a battle at all! These visions had flooded the Orc turncoat's mind for monthes before he finally took action to emerge from shadow. And it would be the pool of viscus in the cavity of the little dead girl's chest that would take him into tomorrow's events... Sniffing the air and hearing the crackle of twigs he slowly remembered his place. It was the dawn, the fading hour, the time when the shadow is weakest for a full half hour Aryth could rest. And as the morning fog faded from the Orc's mind he remembered... The elf, Erenon, he is in grave danger!!

MEANWHILE...
            A day's journey away two Erenlanders found their prize. Thorton had led Kyuad to this place, he knew the grove the children called "Shadow Wall". It was a place they were warned against going, a place where shadow could not go. But it was also a place feared by those in the hamlet of Festrun. The grove of elven trees was only 10-12 miles from Festrun, but no one ventured there in fear that shadow patrols would learn they had gone in. Thorton had just made his home in Festrun in recent years, so while he knew of the bedtime warnings he had no fear they were real - and less than 30 yards they stood from the center of the Shadow Wall. As Thorton pointed the way for Kyuad a voice echoed from within. It was a strong voice, but hollowed with age.
            "Come now SIRE, you and those opposed to the enemy in the north may enter. And you Master Kyuad step forth and be FOUND. You are both welcome in my home. The shadow cannot enter in this place."
            And as the door krept open the two young rebels made their way. Across the cottage filled with objects of beauty and danger sat Walden Mikhail, once called SIR MIKHAIL FRIEND TO ARADRIL, A WALL TO SHADOW (aka. Shadow Wall). Kyuad sought out this man who would have a gift for him, an item found long ago and destined for Kyuad's hand... It was Caffel who directed Kyuad to the Shadow Wall and it would seem her abilities proved correct.
            Now blind, Walden explained to the two men his tale of woe. How the enemy had torn out his eyes at the fall of the last great war 99 years before. How his new battle would be to seclude himself to wait for Aradril's rally call. He told them of the fall of the battle and of his lost love, who broke her promise to Aradril and didnot join the battle so long ago - breaking the back of the resistance. He spoke of his gift to see the paths, the souls of men and fey - he saw these two were emerging from the dark. This is Aradril's call. And as the men talked over whipser-leaf tea Walden would raise his head to see beyond the walls of the Shadow Wall cottage... The enemy approached. They could not enter here, but the shadow has ways to extract their prey and with the wood around them burning smoke drove the rebels into the maw of Shadow and the shackles that would take them to Gallow Valley where Thorton would be given the choice as prophecied in a vision the day prior...

As Erenon took aim at this morning's meal, the buck deer rushed beneath him. The tree the elf had taken cover in was strong but not strong enough to quake from the large stag's rut as it felt the pain of arrows rushing into it's tough hide. Racing to help his new ally Durgaz saw the elf fall, landing just on the otherside of the deer. And as he ran Durgaz yelled
            "CARRION STAG!! ELF EATING DEER!! GET CLEAR!!"
            Smashing the orc vardatch into the hind quarter of the huge buck, the hammering cut did little but to enrage the fanged deer! When it finally fell no less than 6 arrows and 4 hacking rips scarred the Carrion Stag but it didnot fall alone. Durgaz found that he could barely hold his footing with the stag's antler rack still driven through his armor, protruding from his lower back! That would not deter the orc though. The carcass lay behind them as he argued the explanation to Eranon why they
            "MUST GO NOW"...
            Durgaz's vision was distined to happen less than 24 hours away, and if they could not get there three lights amid the darkness would be doused - Kyuad, Walden and Thorton would DIE!!

The two unlikely allies pushed themselves to the limits rushing to the clearing nearby Walden's cottage. Gallow's Valley took it's nickname from the locals who would gather to watch the enemy punish lawbreakers. It was a minor entertainment recently created by entrepreneurs of the hamlet of Festrun that would draw several from the larger cities nearby. Today three men would be put in the gallow of their own torture. And a small audience of locals watched from the clifface above as the orc called Radagug the Dog barked his order for Thorton to chop the necks of his fellow lawbreakers!
            "ROUK-DROK FRAGA KILL OOL KROGLE HU-MON!! ROUK-DROK FRAGA KILL!! ROOG DWORF-AXE"

But yesterday's vision would not play in exactly the same manner. Durgaz's vision pushed him to arrive at the site of the gallows some three hours prior to Radagug's entourage would arrive! Still wounded from the Carrion Stag earlier that morning the orc and elf set their trap. And it would be sprung! But not fully as intended. While Durgaz's vision seemed to exagerate Radagug's number of Goblin Dog forces, he also over estimated his brother's intimidation factor. Radagug would NOT rush to one-on-one battle quite so quickly as he did in the dream... Eranon from the trees let loose the log trap, that would swing decimating nearly half the Goblin Dogs!
            The goblin captain and keymaster Forc would also prove to take a different path, as the other goblins rallied around Radagug to battle Forc slobbered over the men on the tree stump, for he knew the secondary forces that Radagug had in tow. When the battle began to fail the elder orc brother he barked another order and from beyond the few rat-thing mounts the hyena-like wolves that made up the second half of the mounts his Goblin Dogs road shed their saddles and stood up fully errect!! Unsure if the rat-things were the Dire Rats of Durgaz's vision, Erenon KNEW these beasts - they were a more savagely bred version of the humanoid shadow agents called Gnolls. These Gnolls had mascaraded as wolfling mounts - THIS is the true reason Radagug would be called "the Dog"!

As the battle wore on the turning point would be Kyuad and Walden's escape, pinning Radagug to the Gallow Stump with daggers hidden by Eranon the heroes turned the tide against the Goblin mass as Durgaz chopped his way toward his brother. Walden's age betrayed him and all saw him fall to the horde as Radagug sounded the retreat! By the end of the day Eranon stood above a fallen Gnoll nursing a malnorished wolf mount saved from the Goblin retreat, Kyuad used his arcane abilities to free himself and nearly fell Radagug, Thorton had his chance to severe the head of the elder orc but almost as if by fate was unable to wield the Dwarven Urgosh in his defender hands, and Drugaz disappeared over the ridge rushing on the trail of Radagug's Dogs as they fled to the NorthWest.

Taking control of the clearing the three heroes saw their audience had long since disappeared, and concerned for the Orc hero and their own safety chose to make their way back to the smoke filled cottage of Shadow Wall. This would be their place of rest for the nightfall.
            Hopefully it would be a safe haven for a short time until Durgaz returned from his hunt. And if hope be with him he would return with Walden, the Shadow Wall himself...

But that's another tale to be told...
kevperrine
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2006, 04:38:55 PM »

Hey all...
Thought I'd toss out the starting idea I have for my SOUTHERN party.  See what you think. 

http://www.againsttheshadow.org/index.php?topic=364.new#new
kevperrine
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2006, 04:45:45 PM »

Hey all...
Thought I'd toss out the starting idea I have for my NORTHERN party.  See what you think.

http://www.againsttheshadow.org/index.php?topic=365.0

« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 06:23:17 AM by Nifelhein » Logged
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2006, 06:24:34 AM »

I replied to one, but the other doe snot have much in there for us to add to yet. Wink
Pages: 1 [2]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  GM's Corner (Moderators: Bleak Knight, Glacialis)  |  Topic: two - 2 - two campaigns in one! **SPOILER WARNING** (my players stay out)
Jump to: