Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2021, 02:26:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

If you want to keep in touch with all Midnight news, subscribe to our News Forum, then every time a news item is posted you will be notified!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Character Creation Thread (Clarion Quietus)  (Read 188264 times)
Matt
Lightbearer

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #400 on: June 28, 2011, 09:28:47 AM »

Doomed, I figured out how I want Nef's fiendhearted backstory (mommy swallowed an evil outsider) to play. Obviously as part of the heroic path physical traits manifest. In Nef's family's case I'd also like for bits and pieces of the outsider's consciousness to be along for the ride, a commentator rattling around in their heads.

It gives me a lot of inspiration with the character, can be used as the flavor behind Nef's "canny" mechanics, and also gives me a bit more to spice up my posts with. If you have any problem with this Doomed let me know, and feel free to edit it out of my post.

Also, I forgot the color for infernal, so i used jungle mouth, which I figured was also fitting given the backstory.
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #401 on: June 28, 2011, 10:38:46 AM »

Works for me. At 7th level you'll gain an Imp companion. Maybe in your case the imp will be a physical manifestation of the outsider trapped in Nefario.

Your Mommy has already been introduced (Constance, who is a Binder and a full blown Half Fiend).

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
Matt
Lightbearer

« Reply #402 on: June 28, 2011, 04:59:53 PM »

Yeah, I knew that much about Constance, and went back and reread the Constance, Ivy, Siobahn, Amethyst scene when this idea came to me.
DarkSister
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #403 on: July 23, 2011, 09:15:29 PM »

Sister Amirii Kharveenis v. 2.0
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 09:07:46 AM by DarkSister » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #404 on: July 25, 2011, 03:34:59 PM »

Sub-domains are probably fine. Izrador's powers are varied.

I have no preferences. Your build looks great so far.
DarkSister
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #405 on: July 28, 2011, 09:56:51 AM »

Death it is then twisted

With the Murder subdomain, if that's alright with you.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #406 on: July 28, 2011, 10:24:04 AM »

Keep in mind that as an order Sisters are less about killing people and more about hurting them until they talk.
DarkSister
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #407 on: July 28, 2011, 10:31:04 AM »

True. I think the logic in my head was, with the domain ability that it could be used as a slow torture tactic. I can just as easily use Darkness, which fits well with your flavor for the class and I still really like it.  

Hmmm. Though by that logic, I think Evil may work well also >.>
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:39:23 AM by DarkSister » Logged
DarkSister
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #408 on: August 04, 2011, 10:30:20 AM »

DH, I have a couple of questions;

1) For the invocations that provide, for example, skill bonuses, to those apply all the time or do I have to activate them?

2) Am I still limited to preparing spells from one of the domains listed under the Shadow Initiate feat?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 10:47:47 AM by DarkSister » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #409 on: August 04, 2011, 02:30:52 PM »

1) They are permanent bonuses. As long as you have access to your invocations you are granted the bonuses.

2) No. I edited the feat to remove any ambiguity.
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #410 on: August 10, 2011, 08:34:43 PM »

BTW, DH, Wyrd is the coolest thing ever.

Doomed Hero

« Reply #411 on: August 10, 2011, 08:38:52 PM »

I'm glad you like it. I loved the original spellsoul, but felt it lacked some mechanical flair. I think the Wyrd fixed that.
DarkSister
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #412 on: August 11, 2011, 09:43:12 AM »

1) They are permanent bonuses. As long as you have access to your invocations you are granted the bonuses.

Excellent  twisted
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #413 on: August 11, 2011, 05:07:55 PM »

DH, I'm having trouble linking up the text of Instability with the outcomes in the game. You said I got 1 spell energy from the Haste and another from the caster roll. I don't see how that works. "Whenever a spell is cast within a radius of you equal to 5 feet per character level, you may choose to increase it's cost by an amount up to 1/4 your character level (rounded down)." Wouldn't that be 0 for me? And does the touch attack stuff come into play even on spells cast near or on me? Is that where the second point is coming from?

Do I also have the natural energy pool of 4 points in addition to what I gained from those spells?

"Any time you successfully drain energy from a spell, if it is of a level that you can cast, you may choose to replace one of your current spells with that spell (even if it is a spell that is not normally on the channeler spell list)"

So then I didn't gain Haste but I could replace one of Expeditious Retreat or Snake's Swiftness with Charm Person (since I can't cast lvl 3 spells but I can cast lvl 1)?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:16:39 PM by neverfox » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #414 on: August 11, 2011, 05:43:51 PM »

You started with a pool of zero (empty). When haste was cast, instability activated, and took 1 extra point from the cloaked woman when she cast it. When you did that, you picked up Expeditious Retreat and Snake's Swiftness (a bit of poetic license on my part, since they're sort of like 1st level versions of Haste.

When you touched Dorin, you gained one more point and Charm Person. Your 4th spell on your random list is still open.

So right now you have 2 spell energy and three spells on your random list.

Make sense? Do I need to change the wording of Instability to be clearer?

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 05:47:14 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #415 on: August 11, 2011, 07:59:01 PM »

Yeah, I think the text probably needs to be updated. It still says:

You do have a natural spell pool equal to your character level plus your Charisma modifier

and

Whenever a spell is cast within a radius of you equal to 5 feet per character level, you may choose to increase it's cost by an amount up to 1/4 your character level (rounded down).

Both of which contradict how you want it to work in this case.

Also, Wild Caster says:
you may choose to replace one of your current spells with that spell
Whereas you said I'm adding it to the other two.

Also where does the idea that I have 4 spell slots come from? The text says I start with two and add to that, apparently with no limit, unless I missed it.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #416 on: August 11, 2011, 10:40:46 PM »

Also where does the idea that I have 4 spell slots come from? The text says I start with two and add to that, apparently with no limit, unless I missed it.

In my initial draft this was the case, but I realized that it screwed with my idea of randomness.

Originally, you got two spells a level. The problem with that is that you'd get a new spell level (and 2 spells), so your chances of either would be 50%. When you went up a level, if you put your new spells into that level, your table would increase by 2, making the odds of any given spell 25%. I didn't like that the odds of getting what you wanted were pretty good when you first got a new spell level, and then went down as you leveled up. I also didn't like that you could avoid decreasing the odds by just taking lower level spells.

As an example, say you're 7th level and had two really useful spells, like Shadow Conjuration and Resilient Sphere. That gives you a 50% chance of getting either. When you level up, you just stick a few new spells in your 1st level list, making that list *more* random, and keeping your high level stuff at a 50% chance.

I wanted the path to be more consistently random and less min-maxable, so I thought just having a 4 spell list per spell level would do that. I couldn't figure out how to add new spells to the list which once I came up with that, so that's where the "spell stealing" thing came from.

In the current incarnation of the ability, you get 4 spells when you gain access to a new spell level, and can change them out by draining new spells.

I'll update the wording of the ability to make more sense tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:26:00 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #417 on: August 12, 2011, 12:47:18 PM »

I've reworked the wording on Instability and Wild Caster. Take a look and tell me if my changes clear things up.
Ghostfall
Lightbearer

« Reply #418 on: March 28, 2012, 01:05:50 AM »

Aspiring defender reporting for duty Smiley

And thanks for this opportunity doomed, I was worried about trying to find a group, seems that won't be an issue now.

Doomed Hero

« Reply #419 on: March 28, 2012, 01:40:13 AM »

Don't get so happy right away. This game's a little daunting.

Your homework is to take a look at the Clarion Quietus child board in the Games and Stories section of the site.

You'll need to read the two Rules Changes threads and the Posting Guidelines thread to familiarize yourself with how I'm doing things. A firm grasp of the Pathfinder system will help you a lot.

Once you're done with that, do a site search for "Mandag". He's the defender I mentioned. He's a PC made by another player who dropped out of the game. His plot line is pretty important to the beginning of the game so I didn't just kill him off. I'm open to a lot of mechanical rearranging to make him your own. I'd recommend paying attention to the writing style of myself and his previous player to get a feel for who he's been so far. You can change some of that, but I'd like the character's foundation to remain recognizable.

There's more than a year of history to this game, and it's *very* entrenched in the setting, so jumping in now will require a lot of prep work.

Now that you've been warned, if you're still interested, I'd love to have you. Let me know what you decide.
Ghostfall
Lightbearer

« Reply #420 on: March 28, 2012, 02:03:00 AM »

Alrighty, well I have a pretty open schedule tomorrow so I'll go over everything and and try to get a final answer by tomorrow night. Luckily I'm fairly familiar with pathfinder already, so at least I'll have that to my advantage...
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-0

« Reply #421 on: March 28, 2012, 04:42:21 AM »

It's certainly imposing, but hopefully it engages your interest, too. Smiley

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
Le Noir Faineant
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« Reply #422 on: March 28, 2012, 06:25:33 AM »

...And if you need an enthusiastic doer of evil things, I might just be what you're looking for!

Hello together!

Doomed Hero

« Reply #423 on: March 28, 2012, 09:27:05 AM »

Read up on the rules changes and the posting guide.

Are you familiar with Pathfinder?
Le Noir Faineant
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« Reply #424 on: March 28, 2012, 09:30:52 AM »

Fairly. I read the book, but never got to play the game so far. Now, I am a d20 vet, so this won't be a problem. Smiley

Would that character also be a pre-gen?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 09:50:08 AM by Le Noir Faineant » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Character Creation Thread (Clarion Quietus)
Jump to: