Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 16, 2022, 02:00:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Check the links box on the front page, there you will find all Midnight sites we are aware of.
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: All the Powers of Black Mirrors  (Read 25802 times)
kevperrine
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +2/-1

« on: October 31, 2007, 11:17:45 AM »

I thought I'd throw up a thread to discuss ideas folks had for the nature and powers of Black Mirrors.

In the past I've ran into the problem that the smaller (pale) mirrors just aren't "strong" enough to really "show" the power of a mirror.  Meaning, my players blew one up and one PC (the fighter) was at ground zero... using the rules as written for the damage they do, he survived... EASILY, at 5th level.

What I've considered now is having each mirror be:
-  unknown as to their damage ability, the bigger/older obviously the more powerful, but nothing should be able to survive at ground level
-  have each mirror have a "unique fall-out effect" that happens in additional to the initial damage
-  I also enjoy using the Taint Point rules and it definately feels like mirrors should give taint, especially when they blow

So what do you think about these qualities for when they're destroyed?
What other effects should/would they have?  Both against PCs and the for the Shadow?  How does it effect Izrador or his Legates, etc...?

Also...
The next part of this thread is to discuss the powers and abilities that at of the mirrors or surround the mirrors.
I haven't checked recently but I seem to recall one of the books noting Mirror minions of some sort (anyone remember what these are? and which book/page?).  Plus there's the Legates that tend the mirrors, etc...

What do you think a "standard" mirror guard would be?
What kind of challenges (what kind of "dungeon") would the players have to get through to find (and destory) a mirror?

As for powers of a mirror,  I once read (on these boards) that someone said Shadow minions could travel THROUGH mirrors... Is that true??  If so is this canon?  Is it described somewhere?

Any other new interesting ideas for mirrors?
My thought is that (like Dragons) each mirror should almost have it's own personality of sorts.  In fact, it'd be neat to go across Eredane and write up little "bios" of each mirror, the style of setting they're in and the "feeling" you get when there.  I know all probably would be creepy and dark but there's a ton of different flavors of that.

any thoughts??

thanks
-kev-

best,
-kev-
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-5

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 12:55:41 PM »

So what do you think about these qualities for when they're destroyed?

I don't much like the idea that 'nothing can survive at ground zero'. That seems to me to do nothing except discourage the PCs from doing the one thing that can actually hurt the Shadow's plans: breaking mirrors.

One of the first ideas posted on the boards was the 'slumbering joys'; powerful, doomsday-level creatures (the tarrasque, a 20-headed hydra, a dracolich, etc) buurried under major mirrors. When the mirror was destroyed, the beast was awakened by the flash of enregy, and set about ravaging the countryside; kind of a failsafe, mutually assured destruction guardian to keep the Resistance from getting too gung-ho about wrecking mirrors.

How's this for a side effect of destroying a mirror: all legates lose their spellcasting abilities for a day, or a week. This might be because the loss of a mirror causes the Shadow to recoil in pain for a time, or because he becomes so infuriated he withdraws his favour from the legates as a punishment.

As for powers of a mirror,  I once read (on these boards) that someone said Shadow minions could travel THROUGH mirrors... Is that true??  If so is this canon?  Is it described somewhere?

I'm pretty sure that's not canon, but there's no reason you can't make it a high-level legate spell. I always liked the idea that the Keepers of Obsidian could use mirrors as powerful scrying devices.

What do you think a "standard" mirror guard would be?
What kind of challenges (what kind of "dungeon") would the players have to get through to find (and destory) a mirror?

Mirrors are always built inside temples, so the answer is a lot. Whole regiments or orcish or traitor guards, dozens of acolyte legates and lectors, elite swordbrothers, bound giantmen, demon guards, mirror golems... go nuts Smiley
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 12:59:55 PM by Dirigible » Logged
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 02:00:37 AM »

When my players destroyed a Black Mirror (from CoS) the aftermath left one of them dead... granted it was after a fight and they didn't really know what they were doing, but still, and they were also about lvl 5). I seem to remember that I also asked them for a Fort or Will save to see if they don't pass-out from...  lucky for them one of them came to soon after and managed to pull or wake up the others quickly before the building collapsed.

I think it was enough.

all legates lose their spellcasting abilities for a day, or a week. This might be because the loss of a mirror causes the Shadow to recoil in pain for a time, or because he becomes so infuriated he withdraws his favour from the legates as a punishment.

I like that. Perhaps even go a bit further. Becuase of the great amount of magical energy released, Channelers gain some extra Spell Energy above what they can normally have... or perhaps just replenish what they have already used that day; Astiraxes in the area die or become sensless/scentless/blind becuase of the magical energy released.

Not that I remember. But I also had that thought, and if not travel then perhaps communication, but again, this should be only for higher lvl legates.

When my players were trying to destroy the mirror, i told them that they keep hearing a low muttering in a strange language. I kept asking for a will save every round, but for no other reason than to just mess with them, there was no failing possible... but if you connect that with the communication idea, you might get a higher level legate trying to deter the PCs and stop them from destroying the mirror by casting spells from another temple.

I haven't checked recently but I seem to recall one of the books noting Mirror minions of some sort

That'll be the Mirror Golem (i think) that Dir mentioned. I think it's in Heart of Shadow and happens when someone touches the liquid of the Black Mirror (not at home, can't confirm).

And as Dirigible also said: the Mirrors are in temples. So unless the temple is abandoned, there should always be some form of a guard.
kevperrine
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 03:40:50 AM »

And as Dirigible also said: the Mirrors are in temples. So unless the temple is abandoned, there should always be some form of a guard.

So if you folks were to make guesses, suggestions or based on your experiences.  How would you classify the various different mirrors sizes when it comes to the resistance to stop the PCs when they try to invade and destroy a mirror temple?

Meaning...
Would you have/build how big of a "dungeon" to put it in D&D terms? 
How many (numbers) of forces?  What levels would they be, etc...

I'd like to build a helpful guide for what types of "average" forces one might expect at a mirror.  Sorta like the Midnight Core book notes the average "Shadow Patrol" and others in the back of the book.

I've never built a "dungeon" before, to be honest.  So I'm not familiar with how tough it should be...  Heck, are we talking about making a temple a multi-leveled "dungeon" or just a 2-3 level temple structure, etc....?  What would you suggest?

Maybe an example for each variation of the mirror types.

Or better yet some COOL ideas for creatures and guards, etc....  Interesting situations to consider in a mirror temple.  Unique interesting things.

anything??
thanks
arnon

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 07:57:12 AM »

If the Mirror is in a temple, then it wouldn't really be a "dungeon". If, on the other hand, the Mirror is in an Orc warren, as it often is in the Northlands, then you might want to build some corridors, and rooms, and such stuff.

I'm not much into it myself.

In the case of small temple with a Pale Mirror in a small village, then it'll probably be a small structure with maybe a main room where the worship occurs and where the Mirror is; and 2 or 3 small rooms for provisions and bedrooms for the local Legate and (perhaps) a number of acolytes. Might even throw in a small basement where the Legates keep people to punish/sacrifice/amusement/etc.. In the small temples of almost insignificant importance I'm not sure I'll even put guards… a Legate and his acolytes should be enough.

From there it'll only expand. A small town might still have a pale mirror, but the temple is bigger to adjust more people. More rooms, perhaps an attached barracks or a separate building but in the same courtyard which is surrounded by a small stone wall. There might be more than one Legate, but not necessarily; there should be an Orc presence, or perhaps human mercenaries, guarding the temple (food supplies inside, other things of value). But again, I do not think the structure should be overly complicated.

I'm not helping much am I…

Gotta go to the dentist… I'll see what I can come up with while facing his drill…  ohwell
kevperrine
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 11:47:47 AM »

If the Mirror is in a temple, then it wouldn't really be a "dungeon". If, on the other hand, the Mirror is in an Orc warren, as it often is in the Northlands, then you might want to build some corridors, and rooms, and such stuff.

Yeah.
I didn't mean "dungeon" as "a dungeon" -  but I usually look at indoor places like that as someplace the players will go into and deal with stuff....  it's a dungeon.  Smiley

In the case of small temple with a Pale Mirror in a small village, then it'll probably be a small structure with maybe a main room where the worship occurs and where the Mirror is; and 2 or 3 small rooms for provisions and bedrooms for the local Legate and (perhaps) a number of acolytes. Might even throw in a small basement where the Legates keep people to punish/sacrifice/amusement/etc.. In the small temples of almost insignificant importance I'm not sure I'll even put guards… a Legate and his acolytes should be enough.

Interesting.
See, this is why I ask...  because I would have likely assumed to build even a small temple a little more fortified, with guards and such.  Perhaps a small labrynth, etc...  Very much like the style/layout of a catholic church that could support 500 or so people.
But with legates and monsters taking confessional...  heheh

From there it'll only expand. A small town might still have a pale mirror, but the temple is bigger to adjust more people. More rooms, perhaps an attached barracks or a separate building but in the same courtyard which is surrounded by a small stone wall. There might be more than one Legate, but not necessarily; there should be an Orc presence, or perhaps human mercenaries, guarding the temple (food supplies inside, other things of value). But again, I do not think the structure should be overly complicated.

I'm not helping much am I…

No... you ARE helping.
This is getting me thinking and starting to expand our ideas.

I'd be interested in what others think as well as the additions for the bigger mirrors.
Or even notes on specific locations.

arnon

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 12:07:11 PM »

Very much like the style/layout of a catholic church that could support 500 or so people.

Exactly what i had in mind, only the size will always depend upon the settlement in which it will be. Just run an Image search in Goggle for "cathedral layout" or something to the effect. Here is one just for the kick... this can be an excellent place to for a Black Mirror (just without the Restaurant, and the gift shop).

For small-medium towns, I'm thinking more of a compound with Temple, barracks, stable, etc..

More thoughts to come later...
Dirigible
Administrator

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 01:28:32 PM »

Shadow temples ARE in dungeons... they're always built below ground when possible. I lean towards the idea that even the smallest tempels that have Pale Mirrors would be heavily defended... these are the Shadow's most important resources for his long term goal.
arnon

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2007, 03:45:34 PM »

Shadow temples ARE in dungeons... they're always built below ground when possible

I never saw it that way. For me they were especially built buildings or the best building that could be taken over converted into a temple. At the center (or any other appropriate place) will be the Mirror, the alter, the center of devotion, as some sort of a manifestation of Izrador's power and presence. The Legates might even encourage the populace to believe that Izrador is omniscient for miles around a Mirror (or for any happenings in the settlement where its at).

I lean towards the idea that even the smallest temples that have Pale Mirrors would be heavily defended... these are the Shadow's most important resources for his long term goal.

You've got a point about the long term goal... And if a small village is big enough to have a Temple with a Mirror, then it might as well be guarded.

Hmm.... what about Temples in small, insignificant, villages that do not yet have a proper Mirror. You think the local Legate will create a "fake" Mirror just so as to make the populace ready for a true one once it arrives? This could lead to an adventure with misinformation or even perhaps a trap to local rebels...
Dirigible
Administrator

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2007, 04:40:40 PM »

I never saw it that way.

Sure. But kevperrine is asking for the 'standard' defences, so I gave him a canonical answer.

Hmm.... what about Temples in small, insignificant, villages that do not yet have a proper Mirror. You think the local Legate will create a "fake" Mirror just so as to make the populace ready for a true one once it arrives? This could lead to an adventure with misinformation or even perhaps a trap to local rebels...

The canonical answer is that EVERY temple has a mirror... but I find that to be overkill.

I'm, not sure that the populace should know enough about the nature, existence or effect of black mirrors to be aware or allowed to know if there is one in the local temple. If a legate says 'we have this mirror thing, that drains magic...' he has to explain to the populace what magic is. And spreading that knowledge is pretty antithetical to the Shadow. All the people would know is that there is an altar of evil power within the Temple, and that you don't want to go anywhere near it if at all possible.
Alwyn7
Syphon

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 01:12:30 PM »

Keep in mind that not an ounce of sunlight (or any light at all, if I'm remembering this correctly) may enter the chamber where the black mirror is secreted. This increases the likelihood (certainty) that a temple housing a mirror will be built underground, whether in a natural warren of tunnels or the subterranean chambers underneath a castle.

arnon

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 04:03:10 PM »

I stand corrected.

Quote from: Midnight 2e, p. 282
The temples often have access to caves, pits, basements, or other convenient underground structures that are deep enough to block out even the least ray of light. These temple fanes feature absolute darkness that even the most casual worshippers fear to break, on punishment of death.

This was something that I had wandering in my mind, but only this recent discussion prompted me to search for it again.

What bothers me (a bit) about this description is that other than the Orcs (and the occasional Dwarf) worshiper, it'll be very hard for the Legate to lead the service, whether in prayer or sacrifice or whatever.  No sunlight, fine. But at least some candles (black or red if we want some clichי). Perhaps only dim non-natural light, so that even a torch brought into the vicinity of a Mirror will dim.

But back to the discussion of how the temples look.

I still picture them as churches and basilicas but perhaps with a more extensive "basement" that would in actuality be the Holiest of Holies (or Unholiest of Unholy, if you want).  This would probably be just a large hall, with probably several smaller rooms connected to it holding supplies, "treasures", victims, etc..  There will be only one entrance, which will have guards.   In the main chamber where the Mirror is, there might be a couple of Acolytes, or more depending on the Mirror, constantly attending to the chamber.

That's what I got for now...
kevperrine
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2007, 02:33:12 AM »

Keep in mind that not an ounce of sunlight (or any light at all, if I'm remembering this correctly) may enter the chamber where the black mirror is secreted. This increases the likelihood (certainty) that a temple housing a mirror will be built underground, whether in a natural warren of tunnels or the subterranean chambers underneath a castle.

Question....  I just checked but I didn't see or couldn't find the info that a Mirror is vulnerable to light of any kind...  If this is true can someone point me to the book/page so I can reference it?

As for the temples...  This is what I've read to help us influence the look/design of the Temple:

Quote from: Midnight Core p. 282
"Every settlement occupied by the forces of Izrador, regardless of its size, has a Temple of the Shadow. The temples often have access to caves, pits, basements, or other convenient underground structures that are deep enough to block out even the least ray of light. These temple fanes feature absolute darkness that even the most casual worshippers fear to break, on punishment of death. The darkness is said to be the Essence of the Shadow and it is believed Izrador can see into the minds of his worshipers when they are wrapped in this dark cloak. It is also said that he hears everything said within the blackness of his temples—even the quietest of whispers.
Each temple features a large, basin-like altar in its center into which the blood of living sacrifices is poured. As the blood pools in the basin it turns a glistening, silvery black, becoming what is called the zordrafin corith in Orcish, or the Black Mirror of the Shadow. The mirror is the link between the dark god and his worshipers and is vital to his designs. Through the temple mirrors, Izrador commands his legates and grants them power. Through them, he gathers information from across the lands and communicates with his spies and agents. He also uses the mirrors to maintain the sway he holds over his orc minions. And, most importantly, Izrador uses his ever-expanding network of dark mirrors to gather to him the arcane energy of Aryth itself as he labors to hoard the magical power he needs to achieve his ultimate goal.
The mirrors’ blood must be renewed via sacrifice on a regular basis or the connection with Izrador is lost. It is said that when this happens the entire congregation of the offending temple suffers the Shadow’s wrath and is blasted by uncontrolled dark magic, never to be seen again."

Quote from: Forge of Shadow p. 19
Scath na’Cruach
(This) Temple of Shadowed Steel is the largest and oldest temple to Izrador in the northern Dornish territories. The temple is a foreboding complex of buildings that seem to resonate with the dark god’s power. Broad steps lead to a massive pair of doors made from black wood studded with iron, which bear the unholy symbol of Izrador: a demonic skull mask with curving horns. The temple interior is shrouded in gloom, its great vaulted ceiling supported by pillars carved with the shapes of abominations and scenes of unspeakable acts. At the center of the grand cathedral lies a large, bloodstained altar. Here, the legates make bloody sacrifices to their god. Worshippers from outside the Order’s ranks are rarely allowed into the temple. Small shrines around the city provide spiritual succor to the populace, whether they want it or not. These shrines are tended by the Voices of the Shadow, and citizens are expected to genuflect or leave some token of their respect as they pass; those who don’t mark themselves as potential victims to be dragged to the temple’s altar for sacrifice. Beneath the cathedral, accessed by broad steps carved from black marble, lies the Chamber of the Mirror. Herein stands a stone basin filled with a midnight liquid of disturbing viscosity. This is a zordrafin corith, a black mirror through which Izrador feasts upon the magical energies of the land. The mirror is one of the oldest of its kind in the captured territories of the north, and its malign influence has spread throughout Prince Aushav’s realm (the zordrafin corith affects a 100-mile radius and is classified as a Red Mirror). See page 196 of the MIDNIGHT core book for details on the effects on magic use within the sphere of influence of a Red Mirror and of zordrafin coriths in general.

Quote from: Midnight Core p. 271
The corith are not true mirrors, but rather are large stone basins crafted from obsidian stone quarried from some unknown location far to the north. They are at least 10 ft. in diameter and 3 ft. deep and filled with a vile recipe of blood and unholy water. Through these corith Izrador is able to draw on the magical essence of the lands surrounding a given temple and collect that power to his use. The power that currently remains within a given region therefore depends on the proximity and age of the closest corith.

Quote from: City of Shadow p. 15-18
More than anywhere else, Highwall is a difficult and dangerous place to use magic. Not only is Izrador’s largest grand mirror in Theros Obsidia, but several lesser mirrors also exist in the dark temples throughout the area.

Highwall's Temple of Shadow
Though the mightiest of Black Mirrors lies in the heart of Theros Obsidia itself, there are many Temples of Shadow in Highwall, each with its own pale mirror. The main Highwall temple is built on the bones of thousands of innocents and consecrated with their blood. The temple is a frightening black structure, bristling with great bonelike spikes and soaring buttresses, jagged towers and yawning portals like the mouths of corpses or the eye sockets of skulls. The legates who dwell in Highwall are expected to attend services in the temple, as do many of the oppressed citizens driven by the brutal whips of the orcs, who force them to watch the bloody sacrifices that charge the temple’s zordrafin corith. Teron Vilosa, Greater Legate of Highwall, lives on the temple grounds, served by countless lesser legates and various demons and other dark entities. In all things, Teron defers to Sunulael, but since the Priest of Shadow spends most of his time in Theros Obsidia, the day-to-day running of the temple falls to the Greater Legate.

Temple of Shadow

1. Guard Posts: Several small outposts stand outside the temple. These are normally garrisoned by orc soldiers, who are there to keep order and make sure that no one tries to avoid attending the required services.

2. Entrance: Heavy iron doors open on the temple itself. They are normally kept closed and locked, guarded by orcs, but every five days they are thrown wide and all able-bodied humans in Highwall are required to attend. Most do not, forcing orcs and legates to round up all they can and herd them into the temple at swordpoint.

3. Processional: The main passage between the rows of pews is made of polished black marble, inscribed with runic prayers to Izrador.

4. Pews: The hard stone seats on either side of the processional accommodate nearly 1,000 worshippers.

5. Corith: The temple’s black mirror is located at the front of the temple in full view of all worshippers. Every five days a sacrificial victim is brought to the mirror, bound or chained, and sacrificed by the presiding temple legate, the fresh blood renewing the power of the corith.

6. Cells: Sacrificial victims are kept in these tiny, cramped cells before being dragged to their fate at the black mirror.

7. Treasury: This chamber is constantly guarded by soldier legates and is protected by a heavy iron door. Originally intended to house coins, gems, and other types of currency, it now contains items such as rations, clothing, weapons, armor, jewelry, intoxicants, and other items that are distributed to guards and orcs in lieu of pay as needed. A small stash of about 5,000 gp in coins remains; this is given to the legates, some of whom still have use for currency.

8. Reliquary: This chamber houses the various items used in sacrificial rituals—garments, sacrificial daggers, chains, bindings, silver bowls, and the like. There are rumors of numerous magic items kept in the reliquary, though most of the important relics are kept in the vaults of Theros Obsidia.

9. Greater Legate’s Quarters: Teron Vilosa lives in this suite of rooms amid considerable luxury. All doors are guarded by loyal soldier legates, and everyone who enters is carefully checked for weapons and magically scanned to make sure his intentions are honest.

10. Acolyte’s Quarters: These small chambers are devoted to living space for the lesser and temple legates who work in the temple.

The rumors of a black mirror in the dungeons are purposely spread by the legates, intended to draw intruders to their doom. The stairs end in a small antechamber where two iron golems stand guard, attacking anyone who enters.

The Guardians
Even though the dread power of Izrador’s greatest black mirror keeps most lesser beings at bay, the Shadow has taken many other steps to protect his power.
This level is occupied by four balors that are bound to Izrador and are exclusively dedicated to keeping intruders from reaching the levels above. The balors can fly and can intercept intruders who attempt to attack the tower by air, though they rarely stray more than 500 feet from the edifice.
In any event, even without the guardians, accessing Izrador’s sanctum sanctorum presents something of a problem, as there are no stairs or any other physical means of accessing the next level. Only those with the ability to become incorporeal can easily access the upper levels.

Quote from: Forge of Shadow p. 48
Now, most temples that have a black mirror older than two decades also have an attendant chapter of sword brethren and their acolytes. The latter, called sword-sworn, are soldier legates who have joined the brotherhood’s ranks but have yet to master its fluid style of fighting.

Quote from: Midnight Core p. 274
Like the kurasatch udareen, his (Ardherin) channeled magic is made innate through Izrador’s power, so he may cast spells near black mirrors with impunity.
arnon

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2007, 10:53:01 AM »

just checked but I didn't see or couldn't find the info that a Mirror is vulnerable to light of any kind...  If this is true can someone point me to the book/page so I can reference it?

I was searching for some sort of reference to that as well. At first I thought that maybe in Crown of Shadow because I remember someone writing on the Old Boards that his players destroyed the mirror by collapsing a bit of the roof, letting sunshine on the Mirror, and thus also allowing his players to escape the vicinity of the temple and not get the full blast of damage.

What I'm saying is that I found not place where it says the Mirror is susceptible to sunlight.

Also, looking at the descriptions from both Crown and City, and looking at the later description of temples, it appears that the mirror is located differently. Main chambers an din full view vs. in an underground chamber.

Another thing i learned is that the Mirror does not have to be at the center of the temple and object of revere. So we might have an altar at the main chamber, and in a chamber bellow it the blood of those sacrificed is gathered into the Mirror's basin....
arnon

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 02:17:30 AM »

Found it!

This is from Tome of Sorrows, vol. 1:
Other ways to foul the zordrafin corith involve physically tipping or destroying the dark stone font, or exposing it to sunlight.

Tome of Sorrows is not canon. So take it or leave it...
Alwyn7
Syphon

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2007, 12:59:06 PM »

With so many Midnight books out in the game line, there is always the possibility that canon might be looked over, or changed inadvertently. This sort of disparity among books is most likely responsible for this particular scenario: different takes on how black mirrors function, and where they should be placed, were written in a handful of books without the writers fully checking their sources in prior releases.

It isn't a big deal, though. Just place the black mirrors where they work for your own campaign, be it a lightless cavern or an elaborate Shadow cathedral.
kevperrine
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2007, 01:21:28 PM »

With so many Midnight books out in the game line, there is always the possibility that canon might be looked over, or changed inadvertently. This sort of disparity among books is most likely responsible for this particular scenario: different takes on how black mirrors function, and where they should be placed, were written in a handful of books without the writers fully checking their sources in prior releases.

It isn't a big deal, though. Just place the black mirrors where they work for your own campaign, be it a lightless cavern or an elaborate Shadow cathedral.

True.
And ultimately after reading through and choosing the advice you've all given, that is what I'll do.

One question though...
As for DESTROYING a Black Mirror with Sunlight.  I think that could be a holdover from the days of 1st edition, because my players KNOW of this idea from me mentioning it in the past, etc... 

My questions:
-  I could use this as a "nasty rumor" and not really a fact.  Would you do that?  If so would you allow the PCs a chance to learn that their belief is wrong?  If so how?
-  What is the impact of would a mirror being able to be destroyed by Sunlight have?  Is this bad?  Should it NOT be canon?

what would you do?
thoughts??

and lastly I want to ask what RUMORS would you start about Black Mirrors, etc... to seed your campaign with.  But I'll start a new thread for that!
-kev-
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2007, 04:02:49 AM »

The fact that all Temples of Shadow have large areas where no light ever enters is why I grant all Legates Blind-Fighting for free at 3rd level. They're used to navigating without sight.

Another House Rule of mine is that all damaged caused by an exploding mirror is Vile damage, which means it will never heal until a Remove Curse is cast.

Back on the original idea, I love the idea of "fallout" I think that the idea of a random effect would be pretty neat. You'd never know exactly what would happen.

Here's my on-the-spot fallout table. Critique away. Let's see what we come up with.

Broken Mirror Fallout Effects Table

Rank 1 Mirrors (roll 1d8)
1. The skin of any creature within the blast radius becomes inky black, like a Mirror, forever marking them. Gain a -10 penalty to any charisma check involving legates and any disguise check. A Remove Curse spell negates this effect.
2. A secondary magical explosion, immediately following the first. Roll mirror damage again.
3. All Legates within the range of the Mirror's effect lose their spells for that day.
4. Every living creature within the mirror's draining effect gains Taint equal to the rank of the mirror (or something. not familiar enough with the rules to say how much)
5. Creatures within the Draining effect become plagued with nightmares. Restful sleep becomes impossible, natural healing and spell point recovery rates are tripled. After one week, treat the effected creatures as permanently Fatigued. After one month, derangements and hallucinations may develop. A Remove Curse negates this effect.
6. Roll 2 rank 1 effects.
7. Roll a rank 2 effect.
8. All channelers in the area of the mirror's draining effect gain back 1d6 points of spell energy.

Rank 2 Mirrors (roll 1d8)
1. Creatures within the blast radius age 1d10 years per category of the Mirror. Every item and piece of equipment must make a save or become ravaged by the effects of time, becoming rotten, brittle, rusted or simply crumbling to dust. (see the DMG for rules on item saves)
2. The Mirror explosion causes a Charisma Drain effect. Lose 1d4 points of Charisma for each rank of the mirror (ex. rank 3 mirror= 3d4 charisma drain)
3. All recently dead creatures within the explosive effect rise as zombies (not Fell, their spirits have already left.)
4. All creatures within the explosive radius become Cursed (as the spell)
5. Roll a rank 1 effect.
6. Roll 2 rank 2 effects.
7. Roll a rank 3 effect.
8. All channelers in the area of the mirror's Drain effect gain back 2d6 points of spell energy.

Rank 3 Mirrors (roll 1d8)
1. The mirror explosion has a Level Draining effect. Treat everyone in the blast radius as having been hit by an Enervate spell.
2. All recently dead creatures in the explosion radius rise as Shadows
3. All creatures in the blast radius are effected by a Blindness/Deafness spell (either or both)
4. All Astirax within 100 miles lose their ability to track magic for 1d4 weeks.
5. Roll a rank 2 effect.
6. Roll 2 rank 3 effects.
7. Roll a rank 4 effect.
8. All channelers in the area of the mirror's Drain effect gain back 3d6 points of spell energy.

Rank 4 Mirrors (roll 1d8)
1. All Creatures in range of the blast are effected by a Phantasmal Killer spell
2. All creatures within the blast radius gain a permanent magical Aura, equivalent to a covenant item, detectable by astirax.
3. All creatures within the Blast Radius contract Mummy Rot.
4. All Astirax within the range of the Draining effect die of psychic shock.
5. Roll a rank 3 effect.
6. Roll 2 rank 4 effects.
7. Roll a rank 5 effect.
8. All channelers in the area of the mirror's Drain effect gain back 4d6 points of spell energy.

Rank 5 Mirrors (roll 1d8)
1. All legates everywhere lose their ability to cast spells for one month.
2. All recently dead creatures in the explosion radius rise as Greater Shadows
3. All spirit creatures everywhere are bolstered for one day. Treat all invisible spirits as visible, and able to communicate to the living. All Spirits within the Drain effect range become corporeal. (this should cause some chaos)
4. All creatures within the Draining effect die. (no save)
5. All creatures in the explosion radius die (no save) and immediately become Fell (if sentient) or Shadows (if non-sentiant)
6. Roll a rank 4 effect.
7. Roll 2 rank 5 effects.
8. All channelers in the area of the mirror's Drain effect do not lose spell energy while casting spells. This effect lasts one week.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 07:17:51 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
Doomed Hero

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 03:33:14 AM »

Bump.

Any feedback?
arnon

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 04:23:13 AM »

Too complicated and cumbersome for me  ohwell

I'll stick with whatever comes to mind and seems appropriate at the moment.  twisted
Doomed Hero

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 07:14:33 PM »

Complicated and Cumbersome? You don't remember 1st ed. AD&D, do you?  Laugh

If you look at the chart again, you'll see that all it requires the knowledge of the Mirror's power level and 1d8. The only time it requires more than one roll is if you roll a result that asks you to go to a higher or lower chart.

At first glance, it looks long, but that's just because there are 5 different types of mirrors.
kevperrine
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 07:18:05 PM »

Complicated and Cumbersome? You don't remember 1st ed. AD&D, do you?  Laugh

Honestly - I thought the same thing.  Complicated/Cumbersome.   Sad
Doomed Hero

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 08:26:21 PM »

Oh well, can't win 'em all. How would you go about it?
arnon

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2007, 07:58:08 AM »

Complicated and Cumbersome? You don't remember 1st ed. AD&D, do you?   Laugh

Nope. I played D&D for the first time about 6 years ago at the tender age of 25  Tongue
Doomed Hero

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2007, 01:08:24 PM »

Nope. I played D&D for the first time about 6 years ago at the tender age of 25  Tongue

You're probably better off. I think that the guy that wrote it was a statistician (or something similar.) Charts were about 70% of the AD&D DMG. It was pretty awful, but it did teach anyone who ran it  how to navigate flow charts in an eyeblink.

I guess since it was my first experience, charts don't seem quite as cumbersome to me. I actually think the one I put up is pretty elegant. (one roll, and done most of the time) Especially by comparison to what it could be. (I once compiled a random encounter chart which included every monster from every supplement I owned) oops

The AD&D DMG actually had a "random Lady of the Night" sub-sub-table. No joke.
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  GM's Corner (Moderators: Bleak Knight, Glacialis)  |  Topic: All the Powers of Black Mirrors
Jump to: