Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 29, 2020, 11:16:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Our site is made by the fans for the fans. Support the Midnight community and register yourself today.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Arnon's Skull & Bones Campaign  (Read 6835 times)
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« on: June 09, 2007, 11:11:09 AM »

Some of you might have noticed me preparing for a short pirate campaign using the excellent Skull & Bones (Green Ronin) book.

Let's ignore for the moment the fact that this short campaign will probably be shorter than anticipated, we decided to go ahead and do it anyway... giving the DM a break is important from time to time.

And so we had our first session on Thursday. Check it out on our wiki.

The journal is written by an amnesiac. Here is a small quote from it:

Quote from: Noname
Everyone was working. At least, except that whacky Indian, Bahadur. It seemed that work ethics was not this guy's strong point and he tried to avoid dirty work at all costs. First he came over to the captain and tried to convince him to take him on as a navigator. The captain waved him off and he went on to sit on a pile of rope. Diabi, noticing that he's not doing anything, dragged him over to the cook and said something in French. Aunaka, the bloodied Injun said "Yeah, maybe he could'elp you behead some chickens f'r dinner". "Arr, I don't needs'im fer that, lad!" said Tom. "I've got Diabi t'help me. Chickens see'im, they behead themselves".
Nifelhein
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +22/-0

Whisper's Will

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 11:24:49 AM »

Nice journal, why will it be even shorter than expected?

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects."
 - Attributed to Herman Melville.
Apuleyo
Heepa-Heepa

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

What does that E stand for?

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 12:49:32 PM »

I checked your wiki out.  Really good!.  Itīs really a captivating story, and the journal is very well written.

And I echo Nif there, why will it be shorter than expected?.

"To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour"
           William Blake
arnon

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 02:07:26 PM »

why will it be even shorter than expected?

The original plan was for about 6 sessions... but i was offered a job (which is a good thing) in another city, and i'm not sure when i'll start... also, it will take me away from this current group of friends with which i play/DM (which is a sad thing).
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 03:46:11 PM »

It is a bitter sweet thing moment then, a pitty, perhaps you guys can go ahead and play through skype or something, provided your time zones are not too different it will be as close to tabletop as possible. Wink
arnon

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 12:25:08 AM »

Israel is so small we have only one time zone. Wink

We already discussed the possibility... but not seriously yet.
arnon

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 01:34:21 PM »

The long overdue, and eagerly awaited Chapter 2 - Pike that Pike is now available to read at our wiki

By long overdue I mean two weeks overdue. I don't even want to think of the repercussions of what would have happened if i was even 5 days late in sending in my Ptolus campaign journal to Eric (my Ptolus DM, and Noname's player).

But I'm a benevolent DM... and his character is amnesiac, that means i can screw around with him enough  twisted

Here's a short quote from the Journal:

I took my chance and went into the room, using some furniture as stepping stones to dodge the fighting riff raff. I made it to the bottom of the staircase, no problems. Now, taking my time, I moved up the staircase and there he was, just a few feet away, oblivious to me so close to him. Downstairs, I saw a guy flung out one of the saloon's windows, and then some curses in French from the street, and the guy flew right in, bumping into the sailor that threw him out. Ah. That must be Diabi.

Yhea, I told my players to do outlandish stuff in this swashbuckling adventure... and they comply.
arnon

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 03:20:50 PM »

So, Chapter 3 - A Quick Tour of Tortuga, has gone gold. Check our wiki.

I don't really like dungeons yet for some strange reason i went ahead with this. I mean sure, it was a small thing, yet... I'm still trying to understand why i went ahead with it.

That session had some other stuff happening to the other characters (though there were only 3 at that meeting), but this is the "problem" with a player writing a journal from the character's POV: if they split up you get only a partial story.

We'll be playing the last session tomorrow, but the journal will by then be two entries short.

I'll keep you posted.
arnon

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 04:11:20 PM »

Turns out I did not calculate my time right, and we have not finished the adventure las week... We'll be doing that tomorrow night. For sure this time.

Chapter 4 - What Big Eyes You've Got is now on our wiki.

It was a rather short session.

Here's a snippet:

"Well", said Tom, "we be lookin' t' do some business wit' ye. We needs t' get into th' jail 'n out again ".
Miguel didn't look surprised one bit. "I can refer ye t' someone I know. I be reformed now".
"Can we trust him?" asked Bahadur.
"Of course not".
"Excellent, that's exactly the kind of person we're looking for"
arnon

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 11:38:25 AM »

Chapter 5 - Hallelujah is now available to be read and enjoyed at out wiki.

This session had much pirate-y adevnturing fun.

And next session... the last in this short campaign.
arnon

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2007, 06:20:59 AM »

Finally, the last session is up for reading: Chapter 6 – A Scuffle with the Savages.

Here's a short quote from the recap:

A couple of hours walk into the day we could hear sounds of people. Soon the jungle receded and we could see a savages village surrounding a two storey tower made of stone. The savages themselves were very much like Aunaka by their looks. Aunaka said it might be better if he could enter the village alone to parley, and we let him. Ten minutes later, Aunaka was running for his life in our direction. According to his story, the village's chief was not extremely kind to him.
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 09:16:11 AM »

How do you think was the game arnon? Satisfied? Why? Tell us about it! Smiley
arnon

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 06:38:03 AM »

The game was fun. Piratey fun, and with more comedic than dramatic mometns... which was fine by me (and the players) because while we have many fun moments in our Ptolus campaign, there is a serious undertone to all our adventures. This was lighter and in some respects simpler (not in the problem solving department... just simpler).

I tried several house rules, most in an effort to create more versatile character and let the players try out some swashbuckling action maneuvers. Most worked rather as i expected, with the players really doing and trying some crazy stuff. The only things that was a miss in that regard, i believe, was not using a combat grid. I did this cause i thought it'll "liberate" the players minds from the two dimensions of the grid and many normal D&D fights (in my experience anyway), but while this worked partially, it was also very difficult for some of the players to visualize positioning of them and their enemies... I knew how everything looked and where everybody was.. but the players did not, not always anyway.

On the whole, it was great to DM again. While in my previous campaign i had almost everything planned out and was always very prepared, this time i tried the improvisation approach: I had a general idea of what's going to happen, and perhaps an NPC or two prepared that they might run into. It was nice, but i do not think i'll be able to do it in a long running campaign.

The players and I knew from the start that this will be a short campaign, and so had great fun doing stuff you do not usually do with a character that you'd like to survive for more than a couple of sessions.

And now. This campaign is not necessarily over. What I originally planned on doing was continuing the adventures of the Amnesiac (played by the usual DM) as he searches for his past in a one-on-one adventure using True20 (us playtesting the system). We might still do this, but it will be over Fantasy Grounds now that I've moved.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: Arnon's Skull & Bones Campaign
Jump to: