Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 01, 2021, 09:35:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Due to heavy spamming guests cannot post without inserting an image verification, if you are seeing one, you are not logged in.
Pages: [1]
Reply Send this topic Print
Author Topic: I have been thinking on rearranging the forums for a while now...  (Read 8200 times)
Nifelhein
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +22/-0

Whisper's Will

« on: April 27, 2007, 02:22:52 PM »

And I was thinking what would other think, first I would like to make the site features more direct, and not thematic at all, it is confusing for anyone who is seeking something and is new to it, so I would just place prestige classes and they would all be there. Then I would turn Grimm and Dawnforge into tags that would be used on any other forum the traffic they get does not justify having them around anyway.

Then House Rules and Conversions seem to get nearly no traffic as well, so I would return them to general, all of them. Story Hour and PbP coul be independent again and Shadow Pits would go the way of the Dodo, all of those threads would then be taken to PbP. Meta stays, News become an independent board as well, the first on the listing on index.

Off topic stays where it is moderator's discussions is then taken into Meta.

I would like to hear what you guys have to say, users, lurkers and moderators. Give feedback on this ideas of mine, give your own, whatever.

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects."
 - Attributed to Herman Melville.
kimco
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2007, 09:18:54 AM »

To be honest, I almost never venture through the forums. I almost always just see what threads have been updated on the Recent Topics window.

Two things would change this. 1) Activity on other threads. 2) Visibility of that activity. While this seems obvious, I guess the solution would be to sort of push start some conversation in the other threads and make the activity more visible besides the Recent Topics section on the left.

Looking at the main Forum page, which I honestly very rarely visit. I see (now) that there is a lit up blue diamond indicating there are new posts in several sections. I'm sure i've noticed them before, but they don't really seem to jump out and pull me in. Or maybe it's just that the activity seems to be so limited to just the few threads that are updated on a regular bases that there is no reason to venture into those forums. i ono.
I hope my ramblings gave you some insight into a users habits. Smiley

*spellcheck
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 09:25:19 AM by kimco » Logged
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2007, 09:26:55 AM »

Yeah, I think most people do use the recent topics as well, I do unless all those in there are with a new word after them, then I use show unread instead.

By reducing the number of forums I am hoping to unite the forum users in all kinds of discussions, it is far easier to do that with 3 or 4 forums than with the amount we have now. On the site sections and articles, it has been very slow indeed, by using the actual content naming instead of themes for them people might actually seek information there instead of ignoring them unless pointed. Another step would be to call for help on editing the existing articles and approve them all, there are 78 articles pending approval right now and it falls upon me to approve them all after editing, and some need a good deal of it.

I will leave things as they are until next Saturday, when I will do what I think may benefit the site best, and approve some of the articles as well, though it will take more than a while to have them all done by myself.
kimco
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 10:11:37 AM »

Something else I just noticed.
So from the main page, I see the blue diamond letting me know there is an undread thread. I go into that subject, but none of the threads stand out as unread to me. All the folders are pretty much the same. We need a different icon or color that stands out for unread threads.
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 10:40:18 AM »

The blue thing is jut a marking of a category, not really a mark as new thing, those are actually not forum parts of the site, by the way. The latest of the articles are always on the top, though, this would help you know whether there is anything you haven't seen yet or not.
Dirigible
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-5

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 03:08:58 PM »

Recently updated theads have a little "NEW" tag after their names, at least on my screen.

Then House Rules and Conversions seem to get nearly no traffic as well, so I would return them to general, all of them.

What about the various conversion system sub-forums?

Story Hour and PbP coul be independent again and Shadow Pits would go the way of the Dodo, all of those threads would then be taken to PbP.

That sounds like an appropriate change to me.

Meta stays, News become an independent board as well, the first on the listing on index.

Sure.

BTW, Nif, I've tried to edit the submitted articles, but I couldn't figure it out. If you gave me some pointers, I migt be able to help you with that workload.
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2007, 04:06:50 PM »

The sub forum would vanish, I would then change the subject of each thread to get a tag tied to the system it refers to [Unisystem] [C&C] [GURPS3] and so on. Editing articles is very simple, actually, the moderators and admins right now can click on manage articles on their User Info box, this will lead to the approved articles page, then go to submissions [78] and you get a list of all submitted articles pending approval.

To approve them, click above the tile of the article you want, and it will show a box where yo can edit it much like you would with Word, once you are done editing it, mark use intro and approve article as yes, no for show on frontpage, pick a category (it is more or less self explanatory there), write a little intro or review any submitted with the article then hit save. once that is dealt with, click on options right at the top of the article editing box.

On the options I usually select: title, linktree, top then on the second batch of options I go for centerblocks, rightblocks, leftblocks, comments underneath article, allow to comment, for the third batch go for show number of views, show rate, allow to rate. Save and you are done and it will be showing where it should on the site features.

The options are the messy part so if anyone doing this want to leave that for me, I can do it very easily, jsut Pm me the articles you worked with.
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2007, 04:27:53 PM »

The sub forum would vanish, I would then change the subject of each thread to get a tag tied to the system it refers to [Unisystem] [C&C] [GURPS3] and so on.

If by the tags you mean something along the line of what they have in ENWorld, then i agree that it'll be a good idea to eliminate all sub forums. My next question will be: will there then be a way for me to sort out the threads? (example: i want to see all the True20 tagged threads, or organize all the threads into lumps with the same tag)
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2007, 04:33:34 PM »

arnon, you can always sort them by subject, this wil allow you to head striaght to where the threads start with a [ and then check the [true20] threads only.
Dirigible
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-5

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2007, 05:38:49 PM »

Or even enter it in Search.
Pages: [1]
Reply Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  General  |  Meta  |  Topic: I have been thinking on rearranging the forums for a while now...
Jump to:  

+ Quick Reply
With a Quick-Reply you can use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post, but much more conveniently.