Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2022, 06:06:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Did you know any logged user can submit a new article or download to the site?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Paragon classes in MN  (Read 36883 times)
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2009, 08:49:32 PM »

Nope. Faramir was the Paragon. Boromir just wished he was.

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
Sholano
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2009, 12:27:01 PM »

From LOTR? Yes, but thats not what made him bad ass.
No. I don't especially want to get into a LotR debate here, but Aragorn was badass rather specifically because he was part of that heritage. He was an awesome person in and of himself, which is why he was better than Isildur, but being in that bloodline made him capable of that. Live far longer than other men, command the allegiance of the dead, and entitled to Ranger training? Yeah. Numenor wins.

And that is what I was picturing for the Erenlander thing, although to a lesser extent. Admittedly, that was probably my fondness for Tolkien-ness shining through a bit more than it should, but still.
Who is to say that someone who isint of noble blood couldent possably be the pinicle of what an Arenlanders could be?
Me, apparently. Although I'd like to think I'd spell it differently. Anyone else have some two cents here? Because I could totally be wrong on the Erenlander point, I haven't really done my research properly here. How cool was the old line of kings? Good and just and generally all that plus chips, or just a bunch of bluebloods sitting around waiting to be usurped?

On a quick sidenote-
Nope. Faramir was the Paragon. Boromir just wished he was.
Eeyup. Of the men of Gondor, anyway. (Gondorians? Gondorish? Hm.)

"You want me to what?! ... Gimme a minute."
Dorin's combat data | Dorin's character sheet
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2009, 03:32:43 PM »

Alrighty. *cracks knuckles* If I don't get started on this, I'm going to forget about it. Let's begin with everyone's favorite stunties, the Dwarves.

Exalted Dwarf

Prerequisites
Race: Dwarf
Skills: Dwarvencraft 12
Class Ability: Outlast
Feats: Dwarven Fighting Initiate, 1 Feat GM's Discretion
Special: Must have forged, built, or otherwise overseen the construction of a covenant item.

Stats
d12 Hit Dice
Good Fortitude save
Fighter's BAB
Exalted Dwarfs receive 6+Int Skill Points per level. Class skills are: Appraise, Climb, Craft, Disable Device, Knowledge: Dungeoneering, Knowledge: Shadow, Knowledge: Local (Kaladruns), Search

Class Features
Tougher than Stone: +2 to Con

True Dwarf: The Exalted Dwarf stands strong as an example to all of their race, surface or subterranean. If Kurgun, the Exalted Dwarf gains the racial bonuses of the Clan Dwarves, excluding Automatic Languages and Favored Class. If Clan, the Exalted Dwarf gains the racial bonuses of the Kurgun.

Slam!: The Exalted Dwarf gains an additional +1 to attack and damage rolls when fighting with axes and hammers.

Skill Mastery (Dwarvencraft): The Exalted Dwarf has become a craftsman above and beyond the par, and can make nearly anything with minimal effort. They may take 10 on any Dwarvencraft check.

Yah?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 03:08:13 PM by Sholano » Logged
Prince_of_Destruction
Heepa-Heepa

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

The Durgis Juggernaut...at the start of the madnes

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2009, 08:12:02 PM »

Alrighty. *cracks knuckles* If I don't get started on this, I'm going to forget about it. Let's begin with everyone's favorite stunties, the Dwarves.

Exalted Dwarf

Prerequisites
Race: Dwarf
Skills: Dwarvencraft 12
Class Ability: Outlast
Feats: 1 Feat GM's Discretion
Special: Must have forged, built, or otherwise overseen the construction of a covenant item.

Stats
d12 Hit Dice
Good Fortitude save
Fighter's BAB
Exalted Dwarfs receive 6+Int Skill Points per level. Class skills are: Appraise, Climb, Craft, Disable Device, Knowledge: Dungeoneering, Knowledge: Shadow, Knowledge: Local (Kaladruns), Search

Class Features
Tougher than Stone: +2 to Con
True Dwarf: The Exalted Dwarf stands strong as an example to all of their race, surface or subterranean. If Kurgun, the Exalted Dwarf gains the racial bonuses of the Clan Dwarves, excluding Automatic Languages and Favored Class. If Clan, the Exalted Dwarf gains the racial bonuses of the Kurgun.
Skill Mastery (Dwarvencraft): The Exalted Dwarf has become a craftsman above and beyond the par, and can make nearly anything with minimal effort. They may take 10 on any Dwarvencraft check.

Yah?

I dig it, though my question would be aside from the huge and awesome focus on building something. Would you want to add something to the bonuses vs orcs and ocr-kin, or maybe a specialization in axes or hammers?

Quoting Doomed Hero, "dwarves  PRC's tend to be one big ball of Steel and fury"

Though i'd also add a prerequisite of two or three dwarven fighting techniques. "knowledge steel" comes to mind
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 08:16:47 PM by Prince_of_Destruction » Logged

Hrothgar! Murderating the forces of Iz-ra-dor! Hrothgar!!!
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »

Would you want to add something to the bonuses vs orcs and ocr-kin, or maybe a specialization in axes or hammers?
I thought about that, but at the time, the only name that came to mind for the ability was "Dwarf Smash!" So I thought I'd leave it until my brain was less crazy.   mrgreen
EDIT: Slam! added, until I can come up with something more epic-sounding.
Though i'd also add a prerequisite of two or three dwarven fighting techniques. "knowledge steel" comes to mind
I'm not a big fan of the fighting techniques, really, but that's worth thinking about.
Actually, I think that works. The Dwarves are martial-oriented enough that any real champion of their race is damn well going to know some of their fighting tricks. Feat prerequisite thrown in.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 12:47:58 PM by Sholano » Logged
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2009, 03:05:26 PM »

Next!

Exalted Dorn

Prerequisities
Race: Dorn
BAB +9
Class Feature: Honor's Chosen
Feats: Power Attack, Cleave
Special: Must have been witnessed to defeat an entire fist of Orcs single-handedly, or a similar feat of strength at GM's discretion. The witnesses must have the numbers or credibility that the legend of the deed will spread among the people.

Stats
d12 Hit Dice
Good Fortitude save
Fighter BAB
Exalted Dorns receive 4+Int skill points per level. Class skills are: Climb, Craft, Intimidate, Knowledge (Shadow), Jump, Listen, Profession, Ride, Spot, Survival, Swim.

Class Features
Power of the North: +2 to Str, +1 to Fort saves.

Ancestral Weaponry: The Exalted Dorn gains Weapon Focus with the bastard sword, or a two-handed weapon of his choice. If he already has Weapon Focus, he instead gains Greater Weapon Focus.

Supreme Cleave: Learning to use his size's momentum, the Exalted Dorn may now take a 5-foot step between Cleave attempts.

I think this needs something else, something non-combat. Any takers?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 12:57:17 PM by Sholano » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2009, 04:58:13 PM »

Special: Must have been witnessed to defeat an entire fist of Orcs in one blow, or a similar feat of strength at GM's discretion.

You're thinking of Fist the way I use the term in my games (a squad of 5). In the actual canon, a fist is 20. Might want to reword it.

Also, who needs to witness the event?
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2009, 05:26:47 PM »

You're thinking of Fist the way I use the term in my games (a squad of 5). In the actual canon, a fist is 20. Might want to reword it.
Ah. Will do.
Changed it to 'single-handedly'. Probably should be more specific, but meh.
Also, who needs to witness the event?
Mostly, that's going to be up to the GM, I would think. Enough people, or just a few people with enough stature, that the legend of the deed will spread with some credibility.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 05:42:17 PM by Sholano » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2009, 05:35:42 PM »

Mostly, that's going to be up to the GM, I would think. Enough people, or just a few people with enough stature, that the legend of the deed will spread with some credibility.

Expand the description. That's a good thing to include.
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2009, 05:53:15 PM »

Yeah, probably. I was trying to refrain from getting too verbose, but I like that line.
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2009, 01:56:27 PM »

Onward and upward.

Exalted Miransil

Prerequisites
Race: Miransil
Skills: Profession (Sailor) 10, Use Rope 8, Balance 6, Swim 5
Class level: Miransil Paragon 1
Feats: 1 feat GM's choice
Special: Must have retrieved an artifact, covenant item or something of similar worth (GM's discretion), from the bottom of the sea.

Stats
d10 Hit Die
Fighter's BAB
Good Reflex and Fort
Exalted Miransil gain 6+Int skill points per level. Class skills are: Appraise, Balance, Climb, Craft, Jump, Knowledge: Local (Miraleen) Listen, Profession: Sailor, Spot, Swim, Tumble and Use Rope.

Class Features
Go with the Flow: +2 to Dexterity

One With the Waves: The Exalted Miransil has developed an almost supernatural connection with the water. Their swim speed increases to their full base movement+10, they may now take 20 on Swim checks even if distracted or endangered, and they may hold their breath for a number of rounds equal to ten times their Constitution score.

With the Greatest of Ease: The Exalted Miransil gains the Miransil Paragon class feature Rigging Rat. If they already possess this ability, or gain it later, the DC is lowered to 10.

They need something else, something that doesn't just improve what they already have, but I appear to be stuck.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 11:08:54 PM by Sholano » Logged
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2009, 05:50:56 PM »

After a brief respite, I present the...

Exalted Halfling

Prerequisites
Race: Halfling
Skills: Tumble 10, Move Silently 7, Spot 6, Hide 5
Class Levels: Halfling Paragon 1
Special: Must have freed a Halfling community from the Shadow's enslavement.

Stats
d8 Hit Dice
Fighter's BAB
Good Reflex and Will
Exalted Halflings gain 4+Int skill points per level. Class skills are: Balance, Craft, Escape Artist, Handle Animal, Hide, Jump, Knowledge: Local, Listen, Move Silently, Ride, Spot, Survival, and Tumble.

Class Features
Nimble: +2 to Dexterity

Art of Magic: Exalted Halfling levels stack with Channeler levels for determining the highest level spells they can cast. In addition, an Exalted Halfling receives one additional point of Spell Energy.

Free Your Mind: The Exalted Halfling has learned to master all the traits of their race, even in captivity. Gain a bonus feat, chosen from the feats available to Halflings at character creation; Magecraft, Endurance, Toughness, or Mounted Combat.

Rising Power: As they rise to meet their challenges, the connection the Exalted Halfling has to the magic in their blood increases. The Exalted Halfling's Innate Magic feat changes in the following ways; First, they may choose an additional 0-level spell from the Channeler list, and also choose as many 1st-level spells as they previously had 0-level spells.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:39:31 PM by Sholano » Logged
Gabboge
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2009, 07:27:22 PM »

Ok, one final thought and then I'll stop harping on the whole exalted Erenlander thing. Givin the current requirment for this, Aiden would qualify. Are we honestly going to say that Aiden is more fit for this then Altus is? Sure being royalty could be part of it but is that honestly going to be all it is?

\"No Mr.Bond..... I expect you to die!\"  -Travis.
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2009, 12:10:58 AM »

Read the line a little more closely. Also, the things I've said. *ahem*
Quote from: Sholano
Erenlanders - Be able to prove blood ties to the true royal house or its significant servitors.
...and also why I mentioned the servitors, to open that up for differing plotlines, at least a little.
Also, that was a preliminary thought. The post said that was ideas we'd come up with so far, not necessarily the final. Start coming up with alternate ideas, I'll take them under consideration.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 12:14:06 AM by Sholano » Logged
Prince_of_Destruction
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2009, 05:49:33 AM »

After a brief respite, I present the...

Exalted Halfling

Prerequisites
Race: Halfling
Skills: Tumble 10, Move Silently 7, Spot 6, Hide 5
Class Levels: Halfling Paragon 1
Special: Must have freed a Halfling community from the Shadow's enslavement.

Stats
d8 Hit Dice
Fighter's BAB
Good Reflex and Will
Exalted Halflings gain 4+Int skill points per level. Class skills are: Balance, Craft, Escape Artist, Handle Animal, Hide, Jump, Knowledge: Local, Listen, Move Silently, Ride, Spot, Survival, and Tumble.

Class Features
Nimble: +2 to Dexterity

Art of Magic: Exalted Halfling levels stack with Channeler levels for determining the highest level spells they can cast. In addition, an Exalted Halfling receives one additional point of Spell Energy.

Free Your Mind: The Exalted Halfling has learned to master all the traits of their race, even in captivity. Gain a bonus feat, chosen from the feats available to Halflings at character creation; Magecraft, Endurance, Toughness, or Mounted Combat.

They really need another ability, but I couldn't come up with anything that wasn't already covered by Halfling Paragon. Help, please?

Something that pumps up their spell like abilities...or maybe 2 or three more spell likes to be added to their reptoir. Delay poisin, limited lesser restoration, stone soup, all come to mind. Or maybe halfing borrow as spell like with a weekly timer. I also like the idea of making one of their spell likes at will. Only one mind you.
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2009, 02:36:37 PM »

Resurrection time.
Trying to get back to this, having left it alone for a few months, and to start with, I came up with something for the Halflings I thought was interesting.
Class feature for the Exalted Halfling:
Rising Power: As they rise to meet their challenges, the connection the Exalted Halfling has to the magic in their blood increases. The Exalted Halfling's Innate Magic feat changes in the following ways; First, they may choose an additional 0-level spell from the Channeler list, and also choose as many 1st-level spells as they previously had 0-level spells.

Next Up: Erunsil
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:40:08 PM by Sholano » Logged
Prince_of_Destruction
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2009, 02:40:51 PM »

I like it. Though, will the 1st levels work in the same way that their other spell like abilities do?
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2009, 04:17:30 PM »

Yep. Just add them on to their Innate Magic list.
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2010, 03:00:09 AM »

Aaand we're back. Finally. Snow Elves, rahr!

Exalted Erunsil

Prerequisites
Race: Erunsil
Skills: Hide 8, Balance 5, Spot 10, Move Silently 7
Class Levels: Erunsil Paragon 1
Special: Go on a spirit walk to commune with Xione, the ancient spirit of the Veradeen - or prove yourself a pivotal force in the defense of one of the Veradeen strongholds.

Stats
d10 Hit Dice
Fighter BAB
Good Reflex
Exalted Erunsil gain 4+int Skill points per level. Class skills are: Balance, Climb, Craft, Hide, Jump, Knowledge: Local, Knowledge: Nature, Listen, Move Silently, Spot, Survival, and Tumble.

Class Features
Flash Frozen: +2 to Dexterity

Soul of Ice: For one in whom Xione has taken an interest, what ice can match the cold within? The Exalted Erunsil gains Elemental Resistance to Cold equal to their Hit Dice.

One with Frost: The northern wood has watched your actions with favor, and grants you its highest blessing. While in snowy conditions, the Exalted Erunsil may gain the effects of an Invisibility spell as a standard action. This ability may not be used while the Erunsil is being directly observed (as per the Hide skill).

Art of Magic: Exalted Erunsil levels stack with Channeler levels for determining the highest level spells they can cast. In addition, at each level of this class an Exalted Erunsil receives one additional point of Spell Energy.

Not terribly proud of the name for Flash Frozen, and the prereqs (while cool) are a tad specific. Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 03:03:35 AM by Sholano » Logged
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2010, 09:31:33 PM »

Time to bring this back from the brink of death.

Regarding the aforementioned half-breeds, I believe one of several things needs to happen with regards to the Exalted Racial class.
  Either the prerequisits need to be increased, such as instead of only one level of the paragon class they should be required to have all 3 levels before being able to have the exalted class.  (Possibly make a special prereq by not allowing them to take any levels of the other side of their heritage.)
  Or by not allowing them to have a exalted class at all.  (After all they do get access to both racial paragon sides.  Although it is a little unfair to them.)
  Lastly there is the option of creating their own Exalted racial class.  That seems like it would be kind of tricky though, mixing the racial bonuses and having them be recognized by there own kind would be especially difficult as halfbreeds don't really have a society.  Getting both sides of their heritage to recognize them seems easier.  Well except for the Dworgs, they have it rough.

Currently reading: Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series; The Hero of Ages.
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2010, 12:29:32 AM »

And, continuing in my trend of coming back to this every few months...

I think the half-breeds get their own classes. They've got a separate entry in the book, the players took the race because of its' particular awesomeness, let's give 'em something special. That being said, since their race isn't normally a pure sort of thing - let's make the prereqs a bitch. If you're going to be a shining example of the best of both your races, then you'd better dang well earn it. More on this later, I think. For now, though, working on the Gnomes next.
rozarius
Lightbearer

« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2010, 12:02:05 PM »

DH could you do a quickling or elfling class as in the 3.5 book where they came in there are ones for both half elf and half orc that let them take it and one parent class it makes them more of a blending of the two races and then they can go one way or the other if they choose
Doomed Hero

« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2010, 12:43:09 PM »

I had thought about this. Since the 1/2 breed races qualify for both parent's paragon classes, that makes 1/2 breeds pretty versatile already. It gives them up to 6 ;evels of paragon classes, which, given that I deliberately made the paragon classes very versatile and able to expand on just about any nitche a character is going for, means that 1/2 breeds have the potential, with these classes, to get a little ridiculous.

Including 1/2 breed paragon classes would give them 9 levels of powerful non-core class to play with. It seems a bit much to me.

A thought I had was to make a 1 level 1/2 breed paragon class that required levels of both parents paragon classes to get into. Maybe I'll dust off that idea and put something together.
rozarius
Lightbearer

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2010, 12:56:03 PM »

No they act as preq for the full blooded and you can only take one full blooded class they never did quailfy otherwise as they are not x they are 1/2x this let's the count as full x if they take three lvls of their half blood class and how have you been man??
Doomed Hero

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2010, 05:17:54 PM »

I've been well, thanks. Your lack of punctuation baffles me. I've read your post three times and I think I understand what you're trying to say, but I think I'd like you to clarify just so I'm sure before I reply in depth.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Open Discussion (Moderators: Bleak Knight, Glacialis)  |  Topic: Paragon classes in MN
Jump to: