Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 29, 2020, 10:00:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

If you are unsure how a given part of the site will work, try using the help page, it can help you use codes and navigate the site.
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Shadow and Flame [OoC]  (Read 20899 times)
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-7

AKA Draug

« on: February 10, 2007, 04:02:32 PM »

EDIT: Game is now open for anyone.

So, I have decided to run a little PbP.

This game is primarily for the fresh blood of the boards, that is, those who only registered this year or last year, and might still be working on getting into the setting. If there is not enough interest among them to fire up a whole group, I'll open the game up to veterans too. Among the newcomers, DMs – those heroic souls who sacrifice so much to create wonders and adventures for others, with so little in return – will be prioritized, along with people who do not have the opportunity to play face to face, wherever they live.

This will be classical Midnight, if you can call anything that. The game will start off in Central Erenland, somewhere along the Eren between the Ardune and the Sea of Pelluria. The group will assume the role of most of the younger generation of insurgents in town, complemented by a few old-timers and youngsters. The resistance is part of a larger network that operates in the area, doing standard resistance work such as espionage and sabotage, occasionally bigger things. They try to keep low, though. Naturally.

I will take on no more than five characters.

Character creation is as follows:

* 34 points for attributes. All attributes start at 8, standard point-buy. Min-maxing will be frowned upon, and rest assured, I do not min-max my minions and monsters either.
* All human races, halflings, gnomes, and dwarrow are the only available races. Erenlanders are not required to have +2 and -2 in selected attributes. Flat attributes are fine with me.
* Character begin at level two, having spent quite some time training and doing relatively safe work such as running messages, smuggling, espionage, and scouting.
* Material from outside Midnight Second Edition must be cleared with me, but will probably be okay. The same applies to material found on this site. Material from outside core d20, Midnight, Against the Shadow and my own works is not accepted.
* Characters start with the maximum first level starting value points of their class. If multiclassed, characters use their first-level class to calculate starting value points. Gear is subjected to the Regional Worth chart before purchase (all finished goods costs double). No character may possess magic items, not even charms.
* All characters begin play with one (1) Fate Point.

Important: Note also that this game will be using my house rules, Laws of Shadow, available for download on this site. While I do not expect you to know everything off by heart, a general understanding of the changes – and proper understanding of new material such as Shock Value – is required.

Other things of note:

* I expect a bi-weekly progress rate, on Sundays and Wednesdays. By progress, I mean your characters actually moving the story forward (changing scene, undertaking a battle, reaching a conclusion to some encounter, etc.). Between those points, feel free to post as much as you want to. I'll reply whenever I have time.
* Please make your characters come to life. While I don't expect Shakespeare and Hemmingway to join up, don't post one-line posts. Any flavor in the form of thoughts, actions, observations – anything, really – is better than a one-liner saying “I follow Bob”. If your character doesn't have a particular opinion on something, write what he does when he doesn't care. I expect at least one post before each Sunday and Wednesday from all participants.
* There will be three threads established for this game. One is the In Campaign thread. This is where your characters do their stuff. At the bottom of any post, post an Out of Character summary of what your character does in Slategray. For example: OoC: Spends a full-round action to run from the orcs, towards the forest.
* The second thread is the Out of Character thread. Post banter, jokes, rules questions, apologies for not posting, character creation debate, and anything else not in-game there. Anything goes, as long as you obey forum rules.
* The third thread is the Character Gallery. No-one will post more than once in that thread, and that one post will be their character. Once all characters are in, I will lock the thread, only opening it up for editing when you level up.
* Dialogue will be posted in “ tags, thoughts in ' and with italics. For example, “this is speech”, while 'this is thought'. Start all your posts with your character name in bold text, sort of like a chapter header.

That's it. I probably forgot something, so fire away if there's anything you're not sure about. Posts detailing the town, its important residents, resistance members, evildoers, etc. will be coming up.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 09:03:23 PM by Bleak Knight » Logged
Land Outcast
Heepa-Heepa

Spell Energy / Taint +2/-0

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2007, 12:19:06 PM »

Conscript Reporting...

Date Registered:     February 02, 2007, 04:08:49 PM

Meaning:  no face to face playing, except when I'm lucky... how difficult do you think it can be get people who actually play PnP rpgs? well, double it a pair of times(twice). There is no bloody place where to buy anything related to roleplaying games... but I'm risking to start another of my rants on the subject...

That's bad enough, right?  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 12:42:36 PM by Land Outcast » Logged

"The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the Senate...
it's the sand of the Coliseum."
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2007, 02:30:33 PM »

Living in Nicaragua at the moment. I know what you're talking about.

Welcome aboard. Wink
Radovarl
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 05:56:49 AM »

When you posted the first message, I was not and had never been involved in a PnP Midnight campaign, but I've convinced my D&D players to start one in a few weeks.  However, if after finishing your recruitment you don't end up with five "hard luck case" players, I'd like to join Smiley.

I am currently reading:
Destiny and Shadow by FFG
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
By the Beans of Java my thoughts acquire speed, my teeth acquire stain, my hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Land Outcast
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 08:19:37 PM »

anyone else?  ohwell
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 09:02:21 PM »

Ok. I'm changing the criteria. Game open to everyone.
Radovarl
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 06:00:38 AM »

Cool beans.  I'll start creating a character tonight; think I'll go with an Erenlander rogue of some sort.

Just to make sure, is material from Destiny and Shadow fair game (specifically, variant Erenlander background traits)?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 06:04:21 AM by Radovarl » Logged
Nifelhein
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +22/-0

Whisper's Will

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 06:23:13 AM »

Considering he worked on the book himself I would say that must not be an issue... Wink

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects."
 - Attributed to Herman Melville.
Radovarl
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 06:39:19 AM »

I knew that, but wasn't sure if he had a copy yet being in Central America, and if he didn't write that particular section might not be familiar with it Smiley.  The trait variants are balanced and relatively minor changes.  I took an instant liking to one in particular (Dorn Heritage) since I love the Erenlander human flexibility, but have also been wanting to play a character with a cultural link to the North.
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 07:58:19 AM »

Me too, me too...

I'm always 'game' for another game. Although i'm willing to back down if there comes a poster who is currently not playing on the forum.

arnon
Nifelhein
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +22/-0

Whisper's Will

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2007, 08:44:59 AM »

Bleak, make a news item to tell people about your game, I believe you can post on the news forum, if not, repy to this post and I will make the post into a news item.
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2007, 04:26:38 PM »

Destiny of Shadow: Since Rob cut out most of the game mechanics I wrote and inserted his own, and my books were sent to Norway (as I wanted), I am more or less unfamiliar with that stuff. It's OGL though, so if you want to use any of it, post me a description of it and I'll say "yes" or "no", or decide to use the stuff he cut. Variant Erenlanders might be ok, depending on what it looks like. Background classes, however, are a no-go.

Players so Far: Land Outcast, Radovarl, and Arnon. I'm waiting to hear from two external guys who might sign up. If they don't join, I'll post up a news item. Feel free to use this thread to discuss your characters.

Land Outcast
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2007, 05:20:52 PM »

perhaps I'll be playing a erelander wildlander... still thinking about it
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007, 05:23:29 PM by Land Outcast » Logged
Pennton
Heepa-Heepa

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 11:57:08 AM »

Still have room for one more? I currently GM a Midnight game about once a month, but I've never gotten to play, so this PbP game sounds like a fun opportunity. I was thinking about an Erenlander Giantblooded Defender, but was concerned that the Giantblooded path might be too conspicuous and therefore detrimental to the rest of the group. If I'm able to get my Hide skill up high enough to offset the penalties, do you think it would be feasible?

One more question: How soon do you need our character stats/background?
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 12:26:10 PM »

Group:
Land Outcast
Radovarl
Arnon
Pennton

Welcome aboard. Wink

Giantblooded should be fine, and the same goes for defender. No problems at all, except people will either fear you or bully you a lot. Remember though, everyone, that you start off as part of a relatively small, isolated community.

EDTI: Since I'll probably lose most internet access in August (in the Navy!), the faster the better. I'm hoping we can actually get through some stuff before I go off to serve my fatherland.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2007, 01:30:52 PM by Bleak Knight » Logged
Syphon
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 05:39:06 PM »

Hi Bleak,

I'd like to throw my hat in to the mix.  I own the source books (just got my grubby hands on Destiny too Smiley) but have never played a game.  My favorite race elfling is out, but Erenlander is great and Sarcosan is pretty good too.  I'm not very fond of the slower (20 move races) races, though I suppose a wogren mount could mitigate the halfling's handicap.  Law of Shadow is intriguing, but changes a lot of things.  I'll have to review the new weapon mechanics (like the elimination of AoO's and DR for armor).  Anyway, I'll see if I can put together a character this weekend if there's room.

Cheers, Syphon
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2007, 05:58:44 PM »

Group:
Land Outcast
Arnon
Pennton
Syphon

If more interest is show, I might be holding out a few special roles to experienced players. That goes for Arnon too, if he'd prefer that, so there's still a newbie slot open.

Weekend is a good time, but a halfling with a wogren mount is unlikely. You start as part of a community, remember. Perhaps though, if the animal could be mistaken for a dog. Which is possible if it's not an adult.

EDIT: By the way, PM or - even better - mail me your characters before you post them anywhere, so I can check them and accept them. My e-mail address is available in my profile.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 05:38:03 PM by Bleak Knight » Logged
Land Outcast
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2007, 06:09:01 PM »

Just received a too-close-to-be-comfortable deadline for some written assignments, but I'll try to have my char statted out (and background crafted) before the end of the weekend.
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2007, 06:52:15 PM »

End of the weekend is fine by me. I'll be out of town most of the weekend anyway.

Gone shooting!
Radovarl
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2007, 07:19:27 PM »

What the heck do you shoot in Nicaragua... Never mind, I don't wanna know...
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 09:31:16 PM »

Aka Cuarenta y siete (yes, that means AK-47). Grin

And an M-16. La chica plastica!
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2007, 02:33:24 AM »

Hey Bleak,

Don't think I'll have time to play full time, what with running my own campaign, but I'd be happy to RP some NPCs if you want some slightly more independant NPCs.  Dunno, PM me if you'd like.  I can take requests on the fly too.

Joe

Dunkin stats
Radovarl
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2007, 05:56:12 AM »

Aka Cuarenta y siete (yes, that means AK-47). Grin

And an M-16. La chica plastica!

Okay, now you're really scaring me.  What I really meant was, "What do you shoot at in Nicaragua."  I'm hoping this means targets, and that you haven't joined some kind of death squad Smiley.  Just out of curiosity, are you on vacation or there for work (if you don't mind me asking)?
Radovarl
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2007, 07:07:13 AM »

I'm gonna need to withdraw from the PbP group, so I guess there's another opening.  Sorry,

Radovarl
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2007, 05:37:03 PM »

Awww, that sucks Rad. Oh well.

I shoot at targets, by the way. No harm done. And if I'd joined a death squad, I'd hardly tell anyone on an open forum now, would I? Wink
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: Shadow and Flame [OoC]
Jump to: