Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2020, 07:44:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Only Admins and Global Moderators can post threads on the News forum, but all logged users can reply to them.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: PbP Interest?  (Read 44384 times)
Nifelhein
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +22/-0

Whisper's Will

« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2007, 08:41:11 AM »

Dungeon crawl games wear me out after the first couple of sessions, they are all the same and after all this years they are hardly new too. Dark Sun is a great setting, you should try to have a dungeon crawl with midnight, or just run some pre-made adventure from FFG website for them.

You can also GM a PbP, there is no real mystery to how it is done. Wink

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects."
 - Attributed to Herman Melville.
Radovarl
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2007, 08:46:46 AM »

Well, after years of hifalutin, over-involved campaign plots and city adventures with more socializing than rolling dice, our group decided we just needed some good ol' hack-n-slash.  We started playing back when there really wasn't much more to A/D&D than slogging through dungeon corridors, and there is definitely something refreshing about returning to the simpler format.  There are fewer variables to keep track of, and the only NPCs needed are henchmen and the occasional innkeeper or merchant.  At my age with my schedule (I'm a housewife with two small children), I don't have a lot of time to prepare sessions, either.

I'll consider GMing a PbP, but it actually IS kind of a mystery to me how it all works...

I am currently reading:
Destiny and Shadow by FFG
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
By the Beans of Java my thoughts acquire speed, my teeth acquire stain, my hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2007, 09:03:14 AM »

Well, then 3.X is already trouble enough, I can spend evenings preparing a single combat, it is my personal hell. My schedule is empty right now and I am getting no game, but I am certain that as soon as I get it crowded games will come back to fill it even more.

Check Harrowed's Under a Pale Grey Sky for an ongoing game or just keep reading this one as it starts, you will soon realize the only secret to making a PbP is to keep the adventure small, with the pace and the amount of time it takes to accomplish even simple things that is the only way it can ever be finished.
Land Outcast
Heepa-Heepa

Spell Energy / Taint +2/-0

« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2007, 10:38:52 AM »

Well, I guess there's not -much- harm in asking to be put in the waiting list...

[note that I'd ask Pheros to disregard everyone else and put me in game -not that he has any reason to do so-, but that'd be unpolite  Roll Eyes]

"The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the Senate...
it's the sand of the Coliseum."
SvenFTW
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2007, 04:13:41 PM »

I will be doing the whole stats right now, i will be using the new stat blocks used for the monsters starting on the DMG II and MM4, which you can find a "template" here, and am following the advice on filling it as proposed by the Game Mechanics company on this article.

I think I will convert mine to that format as well.
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2007, 04:26:54 PM »

I think it gives all the info a GM needs, started using the monster blocks for NPCs while GMing myself, and with the new one i noticed what i had to see elsewhere is now on the blocks so... Wink
SvenFTW
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2007, 04:29:57 PM »

Yeah, I agree.  And it looks better, too!  I just converted mine over.
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2007, 10:44:11 PM »

Hey Rad, no worries.  You're welcome to stay on the queue.  The only reason we're keeping such a small number of players for a 2 DM game is that Stickyii and I both have lots of RL stuff that comes in and out.  We want to make sure that we can hold up our end of the bargin and keep a game flowing.  It's always tough to see a game die, so if we keep everything small and managable, hopefully we'll be able to have a long-lived enterprise. 

And if we find we're bored and are sure we can handle more players while keeping a quality product, we'll pull in people off the queue.

Land:  Added you to the queue.

Sven:  Update looks fine.

Joe

Dunkin stats
Radovarl
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2007, 06:38:50 AM »

I understand.  I'll stay off the queue, though, as when I do start playing something I'd rather be in it from the beginning.  Otherwise I'd feel like I should keep up with this game's posts, which I probably wouldn't end up doing after the first few weeks.  I love playing D&D, but I've been a spectator a few times and it's like watching a baseball game (no offense to anyone who might enjoy American baseball) or paint dry Smiley.
Pheros

« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2007, 11:44:01 AM »

No worries, Rad, I understand. 

Actually, we do have 3 people (plus you) who showed interest but we didn't have room for, so if you wanted to run a quick thing, there are players out there.

The other option is running a Pit Fight, which has been far too quiet of late.  It's bascially a single battle that you DM on the boards, for everyone to see (usually to test out a weird situation, or a new heroic path/PrC.

Joe
Syphon
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #85 on: February 09, 2007, 05:26:58 AM »

Thanks for adding me to the queue Pheros.  Just returned to the States from an overseas trip...  This weekend I'll try to submit a PM to you/stikyii of 'Og' (short for Ogblixanthuk) for your amusement/ consideration in case of an opening.  Money would be one motivator (as a former mercenary/slaver?) but not the primary one.  My original concept of Og pegged him as rogue 5/insurgent spy 2 -- so there'd be a story here -- factoring in the -2 level modifier for being goblin.  Swapping in two levels of fighter has some appeal too.  Plans were to take the 'Quickened' HP if appropriate.  Somewhat enlightened, Og is no longer driven to the same evil excesses typical of his kin.

[Btw, for background he has a channeling cousin 'Nabli' who might also make a suitable alternative/replacement  Wink]  Syphon
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 06:14:19 AM by Syphon » Logged
Pheros

« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2007, 01:01:00 AM »

Nif, Bleak, Stroh:  Looked over all your characters, and things look good.  We may make some minor edits of possessions in game, but you'll see that when it comes.  Post up your characters as they are now in the Cast thread, and hopefully we can get this moving soon.

Joe
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2007, 06:03:01 AM »

Just in case: Bleak has a PbP with slots open for those wishing to play (linked).
Syphon
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2007, 08:29:04 AM »

FYI --  Sent PM to stickyii/Pheros with chr sketch...  May check out Bleak's PbP game, but I'm off to work for now.  cheers, Syph
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2007, 05:49:56 AM »

I don't want this to die without even starting guys, where is everyone, we even seem to have more characters than those posted on the Cast thread!
kimco
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2007, 08:52:42 AM »

I would be interested, but would need someone to hold my hand at first. While I have played D&D since about 1980 I haven't played a PbP before. I would love to be able to play in the Midnight setting.
~Kimco
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: PbP Interest?
Jump to: