Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 03, 2020, 11:32:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Did you know that to post outside of the Meta forum you must log in
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: PbP Interest?  (Read 44411 times)
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2007, 10:35:21 AM »

Can you make a brief outline of the character, Bleak.  I guess I don't know how it would work (or was this not going to be a PrC?).

Would you want to start out unpetrified?  I can find a pretty easy way to work an enterance in for you into the story, the rest of the PCs finding you, etc.

I guess, I'd need a bit more information before I can decide, but I could see ways of it working.

Joe

Dunkin stats
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-7

AKA Draug

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2007, 03:11:33 PM »

Basically, Mr. Made of Stone (being level 5, average MN troopers being level 2) was probably some sort of sargeant or something like that. He'd be a sarcosan or erenlander (since there are no stats for overseas races) fighter/wildlander with knowledge of the Second Age, but little knowledge of the current times. He should be an asset when it comes to knowledge of the past, and also has received extensive martial combat training, something which is probably scarce outside of shadow forces.

I am thinking Ironborn or Warheart heroic path.
Pheros

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2007, 05:39:24 PM »

Ok.  If we can do the un-stone-ing in-game, I'd say it's a go.  You can assume he was turned to stone with his full armaments, but little else.  And we may change a few small bits, but nothing drastic.

Joe
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2007, 06:25:21 PM »

Exactly as I picture it. Sounds all nice and goey to me.

Character shall be made. I'll roll using Invisible Castle, so you can't call me a cheater when I get two or more 18s...

Modify: I warned you... Tongue

4d6->[1,6,6,5] = (18)

4d6->[6,4,2,5] = (17)

4d6->[5,3,3,4] = (15)

4d6->[1,5,5,4] = (15)

4d6->[4,4,5,2] = (15)

4d6->[5,1,3,2] = (11)

EDIT: Modified, numbers become 17, 15, 12, 13, 11, 10. Still good, but not horrible.

I assume we can shuffle one point, as suggested in the DMG?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 08:12:35 PM by Bleak Knight » Logged
SvenFTW
Heepa-Heepa

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2007, 06:36:32 PM »

Sven:  I got your PM.  Looks good...no worries about proving the rolls, I trust you.  Stickyii and I will talk it over, but I don't think we'll have any problem with anything.  We may need to ask you for some backstory on key NPCs (we can make them, but we'd prefer you have a hand in crafting them, as you know how they've influenced your character...)  General outlines are fine.  We'll get back to you with more on that later.

Sounds good, Pheros.  I'll work on fleshing out the backstory a little more.  If you can give me some guidelines as far as what you're looking for from the NPCs involved I will write those out as well. 
BMStroh
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2007, 08:04:41 PM »

Good idea, Bleak.  My rolls follow:  http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=850789

4d6.takeHighest(3)-> [6,6,6] = (18)
4d6.takeHighest(3)-> [6,5,4] = (15)
4d6.takeHighest(3)-> [4,4,3] = (11)
4d6.takeHighest(3)-> [5,4,3] = (12)
4d6.takeHighest(3)-> [6,5,3] = (14)
4d6.takeHighest(3)-> [5,3,2] = (10)

Now, off to do the hard part...
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2007, 08:09:49 PM »

Hahaha, I forgot to take away dice. That explains the ridiculously powerful stats.

EDIT: Hit point roll: 1d10=7, 1d10=8, 1d10=10, 1d10=9
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 09:23:34 PM by Bleak Knight » Logged
Pheros

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2007, 10:10:08 PM »

Bleak:  Yeah, if you need to shuffle a point around that's fine.

Sven:  We'd be most interested in things like your characters relationship (past and current) with:  his father, his commanding officer in the former platoon, the contact that got him into the thieve's guild, etc.  Even just a name, a quick history of past encounters (good and bad) with the NPC, and current feelings toward the person and from the person would be most helpful.

This doesn't really apply to Bleak, but Nif and Stroh, if you'd like to make up similar things for important people in your character's backstory, that'd be most helpful.

Joe
BMStroh
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2007, 09:45:00 AM »

This doesn't really apply to Bleak, but Nif and Stroh, if you'd like to make up similar things for important people in your character's backstory, that'd be most helpful.

...with the standard caveat that any named person in your background will be captured, kidnapped, killed, spindled, folded or mutilated over the course of the game...

That's true for standard D&D, let alone Midnight.  Smiley
Pheros

« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2007, 12:02:34 PM »

No no no...the legates that abused your character as a child I can probably guarentee won't be captured, killed, etc.

Everyone else...ehhh...we'll see...
Pheros

« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2007, 12:09:48 PM »

Got your Character background Sven...looks very good.
Pheros

« Reply #61 on: February 05, 2007, 02:57:31 AM »

I've created Cast, OoC, and IC threads for the game, with new, shiny names. 

If you could all PM me your characters, I'll look them over, and we can start this process rolling.

I'll leave this thread open a little longer for character generation discussion, and then lock it once the game starts.

Joe
Radovarl
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #62 on: February 06, 2007, 06:14:46 AM »

Is it too late to jump in?  Missed this thread until this morning, but I'd like to play if possible.  I'm a PbP newbie, though, so if you think it'd be too much trouble getting me up to speed on how it works, I'd understand.

I am currently reading:
Destiny and Shadow by FFG
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
By the Beans of Java my thoughts acquire speed, my teeth acquire stain, my hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Pheros

« Reply #63 on: February 06, 2007, 10:11:43 AM »

Hey Radovarl,

Sorry, we were planning on keeping it to 4 players at the moment, but if anything changes I'll let you know.

Joe
Radovarl
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2007, 10:27:56 AM »

I see.
Nifelhein
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +22/-0

Whisper's Will

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2007, 07:19:46 PM »

My attributes are a bit high, though there is one low to balance things out: http://invisiblecastle.com/find.py?id=861881

[6,6,5] = (17)
[6,6,5] = (17)
[5,3,1] = (9)
[6,5,4] = (15)
[5,5,5] = (15)
[6,3,3] = (12)

(Nice find that one Bleak!) I will be doing the whole stats right now, i will be using the new stat blocks used for the monsters starting on the DMG II and MM4, which you can find a "template" here, and am following the advice on filling it as proposed by the Game Mechanics company on this article.

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects."
 - Attributed to Herman Melville.
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2007, 08:25:18 PM »

I just found I could trace one roll i somehow lost before, which was the first one I made to the character, I did not give it a name so i thought it would not count, but to be fair I will be using it, as this was my first roll (linked). Also my hp roll sucks badly (though i asked to roll 5 times instead of 4, so disregard the first result in there), linked

Stats: 12, 15, 13, 13, 16, 14
HP: [1,3,8,1,6] = (19) (adjusting for max at 1st level: 26)
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2007, 09:24:05 PM »

I have sent my character by Pm to both stickyii and Pheros, I will elaborate my background and some key characters in it later, as now I am in desperate need of sleeping. Wink

Cheers,

Nif.
Syphon
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2007, 10:03:53 PM »

Pheros, stickyii --

I've been following this thread with interest, and statted out a goblin "Og" per Hand of Shadow rules, that I think would be suited for a rogue's guild in southern Erenland.  Own all MN sourcebooks, but have yet to join an actual Midnight game.  Can you add me to the queue list?  I'd be happy to PM you with chr concept/stats if there's an opening.

cheers, syphon
Pheros

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2007, 10:53:05 PM »

Nif,  got your character.  Stickyii and I will talk it over but my first glance of it seemed alright.

Syphon, I'll add you o the queue, though I'm not sure how easy it would be to include a goblin PC in our campaign...

Joe
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2007, 12:25:06 AM »

Easy there.

Here I'll lay it out:

Players: 1 - BM, 2 - Nif, 3 - Sven, 4 - me.

In the que: 5 - Rad (you), 6 - Syph
Pheros

« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2007, 01:46:46 AM »

Yeah Rad, check the first post of the thread.  I have a running list of players and queued players.

I actually received a PMed request from Falstaff to be a part a few days before you Rad, hence you're second on the queue.
Radovarl
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2007, 05:35:23 AM »

Mea culpa.  Just disappointed; I've been trying to find some way to play Midnight for months now.  I've got 14 sourcebooks and nothing to do with them Smiley.  All dressed up and no place to go.  It seemed like you were leaving me out due to a (perceived) lack of experience.  At one post per week, it didn't seem to me like an extra player or two would be a big burden (I DM a group of 7 "regular D&D" players every other week).  I'll withdraw myself from the queue.  Apologies.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2007, 05:39:18 AM by Radovarl » Logged
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2007, 06:09:33 AM »

Hey stay on the queue if you ever want to play, you never know who might end up dropping out of the game. Wink
Radovarl
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2007, 06:49:40 AM »

That's all right, I'll just wait for the next game to start up or just force my local players to switch to Midnight Smiley.  They don't like the idea of the harsh, doom-and-gloom atmosphere of the setting, but maybe I can convince them eventually. 

I don't understand their perspective at all, as I DMed Dark Sun for them for about 7 years, which they absolutely loved despite the triumph of evil and the environmental degradation.  At least Eredane has trees...water...animals that are fairly familiar to us Earthlings (even if some talk and others are possessed Smiley!!!  We've gone "back to basics" out of nostalgia for the eighties, and are now playing straight dungeon crawl type sessions, which is wearing on me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: PbP Interest?
Jump to: