Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2020, 07:21:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

If you want to keep in touch with all Midnight news, subscribe to our News Forum, then every time a news item is posted you will be notified!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: PbP Interest?  (Read 44383 times)
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« on: January 06, 2007, 04:00:45 PM »

Hi all,

I'm back from a bit of a hiatus now.  Hope everyone had a good New Years.

Anyways, Stickyii and I were discussing our need to play more Midnight now that our CoS PbP has died, and thought that it might be fun to co-DM a PbP here.  Would there be any interest from the community here to play?

Our expectations would be:
-Be able to post at least once per week
-about 4 players
-everyone wants to have fun

We haven't settled on any campaign idea yet, though have a few things tossing around.  If you want to play, and have a strong desire to play a particular type of campaign, let us know, otherwise we'll run with one of our ideas.

Drop a line if there is interest,
Joe

-------------------------------------------------

Players:
Bleak
BMStroh
Nif
SvenFTW

------------------------------------------------
Queue:
Falstaff
Syphon
Land Outcast
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 11:44:19 AM by Pheros » Logged

Dunkin stats
stickyii
Heepa-Heepa

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 05:19:58 PM »

I can feel the black curdled blood of Izrador flowing through my veins at the very thought.

Those who think they've experienced the bleak, horror-wrought world of Midnight are in for a rude awakening.
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-7

AKA Draug

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 05:57:06 PM »

Once a week is too slow for my interest, but if anyone else showing interest is willing to post more regularly (say, daily or semi-daily), I'm in. Once a week is just going to piss me off though...

Also, I'm a fan of shorter stories in PbPs, since it increases the chance of actually accomplishing something meaningful within the span of a year or so.

If it's fast, updated frequently, and has a relatively short story, I'm in.

If you'll have me, of course...
stickyii
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 06:07:53 PM »

Bleak,

I'm not sure about Joe (Pheros), but there's no way I can keep up with that kind of posting with my current schedule. I'm definitely hoping to move this campaign along quicker than my CoS one, but nowhere near as fast as you're thinking of.

We're looking for maximum intensity at a relaxed pace.

This is sad, though, because you were among the ones that we both hoped would be interested.
Dirigible
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-5

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 08:30:54 PM »

Sounds tasty to me Smiley
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 08:38:48 PM »

Aww. That's touching.

Ok, I'll join up. I have the time anyway. It's just that usually, interest dies when it's slow. If you're willing to give both players and GMs some artistic liberties so I can write more than 10 words per update though, I'll be in.

I did this in a PbP once, and it worked nicely. For example, at the beginning of a combat, all players declare their tactics for that engagement, and the GM plays all character (PC and NPC alike) to their fullest potential, updating when something monumental happens. Players then post emotional, mental and whatever responses, change tactics if desired. This continues until combat is over. That way, no-one has to wait two months while a combat is duked out.

Same goes for non-combat situations, but the other way. GM declares NPC attitudes towards different PCs in an OoC description at the bottom of the post, and allows players to put some words in the NPCs' mouths and describe parts of the environment for purposes of post fluidity. He can also declare things that will happen to PCs, and let them narrate it.

Naturally, the monumental twists will not be declared in this fasion.
stickyii
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 08:44:14 PM »

I need to soak up your ideas for a little while, but I'm definitely interested in what you suggest about combat.

10 words per post?!  Did you not read any of my CoS campaign?  Each post was like a novel.  As far as I'm concerned, you can take all the liberties you like.  Rules are an afterthought for me - a good story and intense roleplaying are what make a good game.

I'm sure Joe will chime in soon enough with his thoughts.

I also doubt you'll ever see the phrase, "Awww... that's touching" after we start our campaign.  Unless it's uttered by a legate who's watching you caress your dead mother's head.
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 09:02:29 PM »

I know you guys are better than 10 words per post. I was only exaggerating an experience I have had with far too many PbP players.

Oh, and don't worry about that "Awww... that's touching". If I don't like your posts, I can always edit them. Tongue
Pheros

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 02:29:05 PM »

Heh heh.  Yes, I agree with Rick that rules will be an afterthought (anyone who played my Pit Fight will realize how unfamiliar I am with them anyway).

Bleak, I agree with your point about battle scenes especially.  If Rick and I continue along the direction we've been working, hopefully that won't be a problem. 

Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 03:06:10 PM »

Ok, sounds good. Count me in.

What character do I submit? Restrictions?
Dirigible
Administrator

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 05:19:58 PM »

Or, to phrase it in a more useful way... where will the game be set? What kind of theme will it have?

I've been hankering for something set along the Eren or in the Southlands, with a group of freerider insurgents or 'agents' (read spies, saboteurs and resistance contacts) of a Trading Family.
stickyii
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 06:13:37 PM »

Dir,

This is quite in line with what we were thinking about.  We both need to put up Star and Shadow and give it a full read before we start.  Would central Erenland be a good start for everyone?

I'm guessing we'll start in a month or so (Joe, correct me).  We really just wanted to gauge interest with this post before we started preparing the maximum intensity.

-Rick
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 07:20:33 PM »

As long as we don't start as retards (level 1), I'm cool with almost anything (gotta have some reservations).
Pheros

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 02:31:11 AM »

My Star and Shadow will be here in 4-8 more days, according to Amazon.  Once I've read through it, I think I'll have a good enough handle to start putting down character restrictions.

Most likely the setting will be an inner city environment, and as such the restrictions will be any breed of human, unless you can come up with a real compelling reason you have a fey running around.  And since both of you are *ahem* fairly familiar with the MN setting, there's no need to start at level 1 with the mandatory Fell encounter...

Not that there won't be Fell...

Joe
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 04:23:40 PM »

City? Nice. I have a couple of ideas already. You have any idea what city?
BMStroh
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 05:58:19 PM »

I'm back after a rather extended absence myself; looks like I picked a good day to catch up on things.  My Midnight-fu is a bit rusty at this point thanks to spending a lot of time in Eberron, but if you'll have me, I can certainly keep up with your expected pace. 

Time to go break out MN2E - now that I've got a real reason to read it, rather than just collecting it because it exists.  Smiley
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2007, 07:39:20 PM »

Eberron
Sssssinner...

Welcome back man. It's always nice to see new faces. Smiley
Pheros

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 03:04:34 AM »

Welcome back Stroh.  Sure, we'd love to have you.  Amazon just shipped my stuff, so hopefully it won't be too long before they arrive, and I'll be able to do some reading...

Joe
Nifelhein
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +22/-0

Whisper's Will

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2007, 10:15:40 AM »

I would like to join you, I haven't been around much since a little before christmas but that was not a normal thing. i can keep with whatever pace you guys come up with, even bidaily like Bleak wanted. Short story is a must, normally a single game session of a table top will last months in a PbP, so I would hate to have an epic Pbp that would take dedcadesto end 9it will die before that, for sure).

I don't realy care much for the rules, i would like to play an urban sarcosan in the style presented in Star, I would like to take the Clever Fighting feat tree but I do believe it is too much the way it is, I would agree to house rule it down with Bleak and you two. Since we have two GMs I was wondering why the low number, but given the time and the numebr of players intersted, 4 might even be too much.

I will do my character as soon as I know where we are, what kind of story it is and game rules tied to it (which books, level and the like). Despite my hate for D20 PbP usually takes the system so far i don't mind it at all. Wink

Want me aboard? Wink

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects."
 - Attributed to Herman Melville.
Pheros

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 07:07:43 PM »

'Course Nif.  You're welcome aboard.

I just got Star delivered today, so I'll have to sit down and read it.

As for why four, even though we have 2 GMs, it seems that players tend to be the limiting factor, and if one drops, it holds the game up for everyone.  2 DMs make sure that if Rick or I get overwhelmed with RL, the other can cover...

Joe
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2007, 09:49:00 AM »

Okay then, whenever you decide which terms the game wil be set upon, let us know and i will do a character as soon as possible. Wink
Pheros

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 08:49:41 PM »

Ok gentlemen.  Start your engines.  Or rather, your characters.

Here are the limitations:
  • Urban Sarcosian or Erenlander only (or a really really good reason for something else)
  • 5th level
  • Source Books: D&D 3.5, MN2E, Star & Shadow, Steel & Shadow, Sorcery & Shadow, Under the Shadow, AtS.org allowed.  Anything else clear by us first.
  • Bleak:  We'll let you be the great-great-grandchild of a Sarcosian Immortal (raised on stories, etc), and take the PrC next level if you stat it out.  But there may (i.e. will) be a quest-like event to initiate the PrC's abilities...
  • Starting location: Alvedara
  • Starting backstory:  You are all fully initiated members of an underground theives guild.  Not open insurgents, but sympathetic.  Character feelings may (and should) vary according to your personality.  Pick your skills well, as this will very much be a cloak-and-dagger game rather than an all-out melee.

By now the lot of you should know what standard Midnight starting equipment should be for 5th level.  We won't set any hard limits, but if you go overboard, we'll take it away (in game or out of game....mwahaha).

Rick and I just wanted to let you know that when we first started thinking about doing this, we had a list of AtS regulars we wanted to see playing.  And the player list is very much in line with our mental one.

PM me and stickyii with your characters when you've got a first draft up and running.  I'll start Cast, OoC, and IC threads soon.

Joe

--------------------------------
*EDIT* Source material can include stuff from AtS.org, as long as it's reasonably balanced (as most stuff here is).  Just let us know if you use it, so we know where to look for it...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 10:23:02 PM by Pheros » Logged
Dirigible
Administrator

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 11:34:03 PM »

I'll pass.
Pheros

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 11:48:16 PM »

Awww...that's too bad Dir.

anyone else interested?
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2007, 06:33:56 AM »

I will get started on my character tomorrow afternoon. Confirm me there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: PbP Interest?
Jump to: