Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2019, 10:16:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Threads are marked read only when you open them, if you leave the site and come back later they will still be marked as new, so there is no need to read all threads at once.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: stickyii's Crown of Shadow [IC]  (Read 7386 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,501



WWW
« on: August 09, 2006, 04:53:18 AM »

...these are the last few posts from the old boards...all the rest is available COMING SOON
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 12:14:38 PM by Pheros » Logged

1.6180339887...
Dunkin stats
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,501



WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 04:55:04 AM »

Rarth:
Wibbins opens the secret panel, but as you dart out you see that it's too late. You can see that his body is riddled with countless gaping wounds. It thuds to the ground without fanfare and you see the breath of life fade to the wind.

Ron:
Your Halfling arms surprise you, and you pull the crate into the isle between you and the approaching Pale One 19, Str check. It seems to be interested in dislodging its hunting knife, so you turn to dart back into the labyrinth of supplies and boxes. A sharp pain in your right shoulder tells you the Orc was mighty quick or just happened to have another knife in his belt.

Luckily, the thrown hunting knife didn't connect solidly 5 dmg; it lays only a few feet in front of you. You think you should be able to make your way to Malachaii and lose the Orc at the same time, but your knowledge of the hold is limited. You reach a split with one path leading left and one straight ahead. Which do you take?

Kirin:
The spasm of pain quickly fades, and though you still feel its effects, you know you don't have time to dwell on it. You do know, however, that more pain is to come. The legate has his longsword in hand in a flicker of an eye, and his glazed, white eyes stare down on you. "My guards can see in the dark, why can't I?" You are surprised at how quick the sword comes bearing down you, and you have little idea where it will strike. You can probably block his wild attack, and you plan to do so. But just as you begin to raise your thinblade, you remember a poignant lesson from Maran, a master swordsman from your hometown, Glengrove.

You had been sparring for nearly three hours, and Maran had you backed up almost all the way to the oak in the center of town. Maran never held back, and you knew if he pushed you to the tree that you wouldn't be able to turn the fight from defense to offense. Most likely, the bout would end with a wound to tend and a scar to remember. Too many of the sword master's lessons ended like that. You saw one way out... it was a huge risk, but if you managed it, you'd be on the attack and Maran nearly on his knees. You knew his attack would be fierce, but you didn't know from which direction it would come. That was the risk.

His attack came fast, but not without warning. You dodged to the left as you had planned and planted the point of your rapier in his left side. Shock immediately came over you as he clutched his side and dropped to his knees...

The legate's blade comes down in a flash of white. You see your chance, and you take it. This is really going to hurt if you screw this up. Wasting not another breath, you thrust your sword at the legate. His blade finishes its swing, but lands dead on the floor of the deck. You Elven thinblade, however, meets its mark. It sinks in sweetly into the legate's side, and the fuller of the blade pools with blood. A risk made sweet. 30; 30 atk, 23 [7; 7; 4; 5] dmg.

Quote
Risky Strike [General]
Your enemy bears down upon you, offering you little hope, but you see a chance, albeit a slim one. Do you take it?
Prerequisite: Dodge, Weapon Finesse
Benefit:: When you roll a critical threat, you may choose to use Risky Strike. If you roll a second threat, double your normal critical modifier (e.g. Turdek rolls a 19 when striking with his longsword. He chooses to make his attack a Risky Strike. He rolls again to confirm the critical and rolls a 20. He does his damage x4 instead of x2.).
Danger: If you elect to employ a Risky Strike and do not roll a critical on your second throw, you lose the critical and only do half damage.

Rarth:
Nearly every Gnome on deck has readied a concealed weapon. The Pale One lies dead on the deck of the Honored Beauty riddled with daggers. The Gnome that was held stumbles to his feet and is met with the hilt of a short sword. The last time you saw Gnomes ready like this was that fated day. They would have overwhelmed the Orcs save the legate. Only the legate can make this day one to rue.

As your mind runs wild with plans, your angle of action is decided for you. A blunt edge appears through the gut of a Gnome standing not two paces from you. A hulking, grayish-white skinned Orc stands behind him, and his eyes turn to you.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,501



WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 04:56:58 AM »

Ron ducks down the left corridor. Better to at least get out of the way...drat these gnomes and their mazes! If he runs into a dead end, he'll stop and cast invisibility on himself, resigned at last to using spells - it sounds as if the legate is otherwise occupied, for what that's worth. Otherwise he'll keep trying to make his way back to Malachaii's cage.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,501



WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 04:57:23 AM »

Too many to heal, and no herbs...I can't even do what I'm good at...

As the Orc's eyes turn toward Rarth, he loses all his fear. The legate, dead or alive, is behind him, and this orc is before him. Clutching the case in his left hand, he charges the orc, planting his right fist into its abdomen, hoping to avoid armor and bone and strike a soft spot.

[OoC]Charge, +7+2(charge)=+9, d4+2, AC=17-2(charge)+1(dodge)=16
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,501



WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 04:57:54 AM »

With a quick, wrenching motion, Jayne twists his blade before pulling it out of the legate's side.

He whispers:

"When your soul goes to hell, tell the Shadow that the Blackhand is coming for his followers."

OoC: Jayne attacks again. +7 attack, 1d8 damage.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,501



WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 04:58:47 AM »

Rarth:
The anticipatory calm on deck bursts into a frenzy of motion! Gnomes dart back and forth, either engaging foe or rushing below deck in search for another. You see little of that, though. You look to your foe's armor, trying to find an opening, but you can't do anything but stare at the Pale One's lifeless eyes 17, Fear. You shudder, see the spot you were looking for, and charge.

Ron:
The left passageway looks long and promising. It's hard to make out where anything leads in the dark hold, but you rush forward, hope rising with every footfall. Surely this will lead out of the maze and to Malachaii...

Jayne:
You twist the dagger and feel it grate against bone 2 dmg, but when you try to pull it out, it sticks. You are about to wrench it free when the legate grabs your wrist. His lips curl in what you're not sure is a grin or a grimace, and he digs his fingers deep into your skin.

Ron:
If your eyes weren't so keen, the darkness would have engulfed you by now. You think you see an opening up ahead, though. Darting for it, you nearly tangle yourself in a mass of ropes and pulleys. This... is definitely a dead end. Turning back, you can hear the effortless breathing of the Pale One as lumbers through the crate-filled maze 33 [ 20 + 10 + 3 ], Listen. Closing your eyes and grasping your gnarled staff, you silently recite your only escape. You open your eyes and see the Pale One, not 15 feet away at the end of the corridor.

Rarth:
You cover the distance between you and the Orc in only a few seconds, and you thrust your fist into the Orc's stomach 0 [1 - 10 + 9], Attack. You feel two sharp pains, one coming from your hand, which has just landed square on a spike in the Orc's armor, and the other coming from your stomach. You glance down and see the Pale One's fist against your gut.

Ron:
The Pale One peers into the corridor, and you meet its eyes. But then it turns its head as if you weren't even there. Its nostrils open wide as it inhales; it looks to the right, then the left. Then it begins walking directly toward you, cautiously, as if searching for prey.

Jayne:
"My soul is already the Dark One's bride. Care to join our wedding party?" The legate digs his nails into your wrist, drawing blood. "If only Anna were here to see my triumph!" Thousands of needles stab into you again and again like Amund the Baker churning butter with your flesh. You feel as if you'll wretch any minute 4 dmg.

Rarth:
The Orc rips its hand free with nearly a foot of blade following it. A parcel of blood squirts out as it exits your stomach 14 dmg. The Pale One smiles and readies another blow. You can see Wibbins hiding not two feet from the Orc ready to strike with a short sword. You focus on his eyes, though, which you can see are racked with fear.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,501



WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 04:59:30 AM »

As the steel slides out of Rarths abdomen, and the blood begins to flow, a kind of peaceful fear washes over him as the wooziness sets in. He takes a step back and to the side, trying to put it's back to Wibbins as he collects himself.

"Wibbins, I need you...I need...you to help me." he says in a gasping voice, hoping to avoid any more blows from the Pale One's cruel sword.

[OoC]5-foot step back in the direction that will allow Wibbins to flank the orc easily. Then, total defense, AC 17+1(dodge)+4(total defense)=22
Logged
Rondingus
Disembodied Spirits


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 1


« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2006, 02:15:12 PM »

Ron stares at the orc and tries to quiet his breathing.  He's never quite gotten the chance to carefully watch one hunting like this before.  A chill runs down his back as the Pale One's nostrils quiver...

Maybe they always do that...or maybe I smell like dinner.

I might be able to get a shot off, even a nice shot...but it still wouldn't likely bring him down.  And there's not room enough in this little corridor to slip by him none too safely, sightless or no, and no way to set up a trap or the like with him a-watching.  Maybe I ought to just charge while he's not quite ready...

A plan slowly begins to coalesce in what passes for Ron's mind, but it's too early to do anything drastic.  He waits to see how far the monster comes down the CLEARLY hobbit-less dead end.
Logged
KirinFrostbane
Disembodied Spirits


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 1


« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2006, 05:03:00 PM »

Must stay standing...must keep fighting...

You foul abomination! I will send you back where you belong!

Jayne's blade cuts through the air once again.

OoC: Jayne attacks again. +7 attack, 1d8 damage.
Logged
JayDee
Disembodied Spirits


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 2


« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2010, 09:51:38 AM »

...these are the last few posts from the old boards...all the rest is available COMING SOON


This is quite a necro. As far as I remember I read an amazing CoS campaign log several years ago (on the old board?). I think it's the rest (or better: the beginning) of this one. Does anyone remember it, and/or has a link to it?
There were some great ideas for short plots (the oracle in the snowy mountains, a pool with an ancient magic gauntlet belonging to a dwarven ghost, etc). Unfortunately I do not remember the details, but I'd like to run the campaign again soon, and I'd love to get this old log. The story started in Durgis Rock, when the PC were summond before their dwarven leader. Some of his fellows didn't like the idea of sharing the secret of forging mithral and challenged him to a duel.

Any help would be great!
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,501



WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2010, 01:54:38 PM »

Smeagol posted a copy here: Stickyii's CoS Log

Notes from my campaign, which was heavily based on Stickyii's is here: Joe's CoS Log

Good luck with the campaign.
Logged
JayDee
Disembodied Spirits


Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0
Posts: 2


« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2010, 02:23:33 PM »

Awesome, thanks a lot. I love this forum! I also sent you an email, but this reply already answered it perfectly!
Logged
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: stickyii's Crown of Shadow [IC]
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
AtS Dark Mercury design by Nifelhein, based on the Mercury theme by Bloc
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.122 seconds with 28 queries.
TinyPortal © 2005-2011