Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 29, 2020, 11:28:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

If you want to keep in touch with all Midnight news, subscribe to our News Forum, then every time a news item is posted you will be notified!
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: [Dawnforge Story] The One and the First  (Read 3929 times)
Glory Finder
Disembodied Spirits

Spell Energy / Taint +2/-2

« on: September 26, 2006, 12:55:52 AM »

The One and the First

The rays of the sun had not yet appeared on the canopy of the forest.  The air was still above and below.  Silence in the pre-dawn forest echoed like a silent scream, hanging in the air.  No animal moved.  No plant rustled.  Millions of creature eyes and faces however, watched the lone figure which had appeared suddenly on the forest floor.  The moment of its appearance had shot through the forest like a shockwave which brought on the now palatable silence.  In one instant each and every life form of the forest sensed the figure and like a beacon, turned their attention to it.
   Time stood still.  Dawn should have made its way into the treetops already.  Animals should have been hunting and tending their young.  Game trails should be busy, trees swaying in the breeze, and streams bubbling.  Yet, all focus was now on the single figure.
   It was humanoid, female and small of frame.  Her head was tilted down, waiting.  Long dark auburn-black hair with a sheen like the moon on a pool of calm water hung down to her waist.  Her skin was the color of burnt copper, and pulsed slightly in the darkness.  She was motionless and had been for some time.  Then with a motion that was either too slow or too fast to see, her head was facing forward.   A ripple shot through the forest that was not visible but, could be felt.  Creatures of the forest, large and small, eye’s opened wider and boughs trembled.  She raised her arms slowly from her sides and as she did a wind began to slowly caress the forest.  As her arms moved higher the wind rose in speed and sound.  A small vortex of wind gathered around her, carrying small debris and leaves in a spiraling dance.  Slowly a fine line of white shown between her brown lips and as it widened into a smile, warmth flooded outward through the forest causing many uncontrollable shivers.  Then she opened her eyes and the sun fell upon the forest and light bounced and played through the trees.  Simultaneously, her green and gold eyes shown with a glow, and a single beam of sunlight bounded down around her.  A thunderous cacophony erupted from the forest as each and every creature called out at once.
   The roar of sound announced that she had let herself be known and her coming was welcome.  She dropped her arms and the vortex spiraled itself out, and the winds faded to a soft breeze.  Light played naturally through the trees.  Sounds again of movement and song once again filled the woodland as animals and other creatures went back to their business.
   She was walking now, with a movement so graceful and fluid that she more seemed to flow that step.  She walked with purpose, knowing exactly where she was headed and what waited for her.  Without slowing pace she stepped into the side of one of the enormous trees, and seamlessly walked out of another many miles away.  Never breaking stride, she continued forward.  Through the gigantic trunks she could make out her target ahead.  As she drew closer, she smiled to herself.  Any questions she had had about coming here were forgotten as she stepped up to that which she sought, a tree without equal, a titan among giants.  Its bark was dark with age, darker than its young cousins.  Its base was so huge that it would take many counts of a hundred to walk around, and its roots were as small hills or cliffs.  The trees limb network was like a maze and of size that seemed impossible to bear their own weight.  Its lower limbs hung gnarled and as thick as other trees trunks.
   She saw there was small amount of space around it, comparatively.  Turning, she surveyed the surrounding trees.  With a nod of her head the trees for hundreds of spans started to rustle and shake.  Sounds of earth tearing and bark bending filled the air as the giants uprooted to do her will.  All the surrounding trees and those near behind began to move back away from the larger.  For many hundred counts the sounds continued and then slowly, lessened as the last of them settled into its new soil.  The ground was furrowed and rough, and smelled of fresh till.  Twenty of the giants now formed a perfect inner circle around the greater tree.  As a result, sunlight filled the newly made clearing and for the first time in millennia touched the roots of the colossal tree.
   Again she was pleased, and she walked about the clearing over soil and knoll.  Behind her green grass spread out and filled the clearing from center to circle.  She stopped atop a grassy mound and turned to the forest.  She whispered in a tongue few non-fae could speak.   She turned about and watched as many small figures stepped out of the forest to the tree line.   As they stopped, they knelt and bowed their heads to the One.  She watched and waited until the last of the twenty had appeared.  She spoke again and they all stood.  They were dryads, fairies, and dearest to her heart.  She smiled then and they each smiled back and began to sing.  It was an ancient song only known to the Fae and not sung as such in this forest before.
   Birds began to fly out of the forest and soar and glide around the clearing.  Creatures of all sizes and shapes crept from the tree line and began to play and run in the grassy meadow, in the joy of the dryads’ song.  A rainbow of color poured out of the trees as thousands of butterflies flew into the clearing and began to dance and spiral to the song.  Fae of all kinds came also, pixie, sylph, nymph, brownie, unicorn and more.
   She walked then to the base of the great tree and leaned to and kissed its ancient bark.  As she pulled away a spot of moisture appeared on that spot and as she walked back to her grassy mound, a rush of water sprung from the tree.  Water quickly gathered in between two of the massive roots but, soon was pushing out into the meadow.  The water cut forward, snaking through the meadow, in and around mound and knoll.  The roar of the flow was barely heard over the dryads’ song but, roar it did as it cut across and out of the meadow, working out deep into the forest.  Soon it would join a nearby river.
   The Song quieted and slowed then hung on the last note for many moments, and as the song faded, the rush of the water slowed to a steady flow.  Quietly the dryads turned and stepped into each of the twenty trees.  Many of the forest creatures went back into the forest.  The pixies however, stayed and buzzed and played among the branches of the great tree.  She smiled at this for the play of pixies always made her happy.  Turning she saw many unicorn still playing in the meadow.
   Behind her she heard a breath and small stomp.  As she turned around, she came face to nose with a huge unicorn.  Where each of the other unicorns were white, it was black and as shiny as obsidian but, with a pearly white horn, which gleamed in the sun.  She reached out and stroked his nose for which it replied with a stomp and a whinny.  With only a thought she knew its name was Harvuinar in the sylvan tongue and for millennia, he has been the lord of the forest and faerie kind.  She smiled and spoke his name softly.  The great unicorn bowed its’ head and bent its knee to the One.  She leaned forward and kissed his head.  Harvuinar straightened and raised his head then let out a triumphant whinny.
   The One stood there facing the First Tree, Harvuina beside her, sun dancing across the clearing.  Laughter and joy spilled from fae and animal alike.  Auleanaia, queen of the dryads, mistress of forests, had returned.  She had returned to this place where long ago she had planted the First.  Even then she had seen the future and knew that the aliasar would come.  Maybe not this year or the next, or a thousand, but she would be here when they did.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 12:18:01 PM by Nifelhein » Logged
Nifelhein
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +22/-0

Whisper's Will

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 10:30:50 AM »

Glory Finder, be welcome to our boards, and with such a great piece, one spell energy to you, for this work (your good-fu) and praises on the ones that are still to come. Wink

As a mod, I will be editing the title and moving the thread to the Story Hour forum, for that place is not only for Midnight, but all guest boards too. Grin

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects."
 - Attributed to Herman Melville.
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-7

AKA Draug

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 03:55:47 PM »

Welcome to AtS, Glory.

I remember this one from PoL. Nice to see you here too. DF could do with some fire under its kettle.
Glory Finder
Disembodied Spirits

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 02:55:54 PM »

Thank you Nifelhein and Bleak Knight.
It is a shame that Dawnforge does not get the support that from FFG that it deserves.  That setting has so much potential.  I have not had the chance to mess around with the game setting since back when Todd and I were playing around with the printouts from the early pdf's.

Do either of you have the printed Dawnforge books?  I wonder if they incorporated Auleanaia into the storyline or if that was just a one time deal. Well, if I get the urge to write up something else for this world, I will be sure to post it.  Currently I am working on some stories for Eberron and the Realms.  It is surprising how much time it takes to formulate thoughts.

Glory Finder

"She is not the wind, nor the rain, nor is she the soil at your feet.  She is that which binds all three together"  Harcuilan of the Five Paths, Chronicler of the One
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 04:03:16 PM »

I have the printed books, and no, this did not make it into any of them, as far as I can remember.

It won the Design an Immortal contest though, didn't it?
Glory Finder
Disembodied Spirits

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 05:17:12 PM »

It did, though the entry was a stat block and description.  I submitted this story as just icing.

I guess they just lost steam for Dawnforge soon after.   At least I have the vinyl map!  Perhaps we will see a resurgence.

Glory Finder

"Her hair is dark honey glowing in the sun.  Her eyes deep and dark and reflecting the wonders of the sky.  To hear her voice makes me feel as if I am an infant and beholding the beginning of all things."  Harcuilan of the Five Paths, Chronicler of the One
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2006, 05:44:38 PM »

With no forum and no official support, I doubt it.

And, despite having a great basic idea, I found DF didn't have the same quality as Midnight and Blue Planet has made me expect from FFG. Cool ideas, and while not poorly executed, not good enough for me to truly enjoy the setting.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: [Dawnforge Story] The One and the First
Jump to: