Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 13, 2021, 08:38:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Avoid offending or attacking other users, be polite and well mannered and only good will come from it.
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  General  |  Meta  |  Topic: Posting Contents
Pages: [1]
Reply Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Posting Contents  (Read 19256 times)
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« on: August 09, 2006, 03:54:27 AM »

I've got word documents of things i've gathered over time from AtS: Heroic Paths, Covenant Items, Adventure conversions (most by smeagol, and since i think you deleted some/most of them from the old boards, if you do not want me to post them i will not), and maybe some other stuf here and there.

Is there any specific format in which it should appear before i submit them?

arnon
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 03:56:10 AM by arnon » Logged
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-7

AKA Draug

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 08:01:16 AM »

Check out the already existing articles for guidelines on format. Aside from that, try staying similar, or at least close to, the format used in M2E and the newer MN books.
Nifelhein
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +22/-0

Whisper's Will

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 09:16:36 AM »

As Bleak said, they will have to be approvd by one fo the admins or global mods, meaning Myself, Todd, Dirigible or Bleak before it is shown on the right page, if it is a new category we must also chaneg the section index and at the pparopriate sub section. smeagol has already registered, btw, you can PM him. Wink

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects."
 - Attributed to Herman Melville.
Dirigible
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-5

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 03:33:49 PM »

Ver nice, but what's the actual format to use? Standard thread ode? HTML?
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 03:45:03 PM »

you can copy and paste from word and rty tio use empty lines between paragraphs instead of those damn spaces at teh start of each one of them. Wink
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 03:53:02 PM »

I'm all for those damn spaces. They reduce the size (in pages) of the article, and it is the way paragraphs are separated in almost all literary mediums, be they novels, newspapers, or game-mechanics.
Dirigible
Administrator

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 03:57:43 PM »

You didn't answer my question, Nif.
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 04:01:22 PM »

It works with html, but yo need not worry with the code at all, it pastes with all that from word or anywhere you copy it from.

The spaces do not display well in the internet, html trunks all spaces to one, so we should avoid having them, that is what I am worried about.
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 05:06:15 PM »

Actually, in the articles on this site, nothing trunks all the spaces to one.
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 05:07:38 PM »

Allow me to rephrase:

Is there a certain font you want us to use?
How about font size for titles?
A blank line between each paragraph?
Should new paragraphs start from the "border", or should it have an inset?

Thats what i meant when i asked about the format....
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 05:12:32 PM »

Font size: size 3 (normal) is fine
Main titles: size 4, bold (I prefer capital too, but I don't think Nif agrees)
Paragraphs: Nif wants spaces between paragraphs. I don't, because the articles supports insets, and that's how things are done in the professional writing world.
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006, 05:24:47 PM »

Reading on a screen is way easier on my eyes when we have lines between paragraphs, we are not a professional writing site or boudn to any organization that ask us to use those ways of writing, also, the curretn version of the software does support the insets, but we cannot be certain the next ones will do so, if we use a safe format we avoid having to back track when we update.

For font we are using the default one, size is normal, we don't really need a main title since that one is already at the article title, then we start using heading 3 and below (increasing numbers), at the end give a two lines space and credit the author of the piece with the following: "Author: name", use the bold and the name provided, be it real or just username.

We are seeing to the format guidelines and tempates as we speak, but it may take a while to have that done. Grin
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006, 08:04:25 PM »

Having a main title is good for those of us who like to copy and paste this so they can print it.

I sincerely doubt that SMF will be taking a step back and removing insets from their article options. I can see no reason why they would. Still, if you find it hard on your eyes to read without the double-space, having them is no problem for me. But even internet newspapers do not have them.
Dirigible
Administrator

Oh, the humanity!

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006, 10:52:16 PM »

we are not a professional writing site or boudn to any organization that ask us to use those ways of writing
No, we're not - so we have to make up our own. And you and Bleak standin there going 'Do it this way' 'No, do it this way' is not conductive to that Smiley
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2006, 05:46:47 AM »

It's called discussion. It's part of what this site exists for. Tongue

You don't have an opinion either way, Dir?
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2006, 09:14:33 AM »

Yeh, Bleak has been asking his way on things a lot altely, he is trying to convince us with discussion though, i appreciate that. Wink

Another thing is that pasting insets usually gets pretty cramped html tags that are not shown but define how long a page loads, the coming updates for Tiny Portal are going to have more article options like printing and selcting ways of viewing them (all in a given category, for example) but the editor is not realy their own, so it may change, and we must be ready for that, i would never go back editing thousands of articles, specially with smeagol around.

And the insets instead of lines is one of the reasons I hardly read online papers, mind you, they look too cramped and it is never as easy to find a paragraph. So I am against inside content repetition of titles, because you won't need to copy and paste soon enough and against insets, because they look good in word or manuscript writing, but are not that good to read in a screen.

But I want to know what most here think of it, the articles are meant for everyone, not only us, those who read and approve them. Wink
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

AKA Draug

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2006, 08:24:24 PM »

Thought: Would it be possible to let smeagol edit and accept articles? I have no way of keeping up with his pace.
Nifelhein
Administrator

Whisper's Will

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2006, 08:30:22 PM »

Well, he won't be editing them and I know that, he is copying and pasting and we should review it for format, at least. The rate has suffered a major decrease, so i wil catch up to him eventually, thing is, these last two days i hardly could work on the articles, so I made very few of them, I will have more time in the future though.

We don't have to be as fast as he is, if he was making the content, check, but since he is porting, that was not all that unexpected, unlikely and not truly considered, but not unexpected. Wink
smeagol
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +9/-2

Hiding from Shadow

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2006, 01:17:03 AM »

Nif,

As for the things I wrote myself, they must be formatted in paragraphs, underlined titles, etc.

For other authors' pieces, I originally copy-pasted them from the boards into Word, and usually (but not always) re-formatted them in Word. So I guess that most of what I sent is at least minimally formatted (paragraphs, titles, etc).

But I'm not a professional like you guys! (and the admins have to work a little: of course everything has to be proofread before turned to the site features ;-))

"Il n'est pas besoin d'espérer pour entreprendre ni de réussir pour persévérer" - Devise de la famille d'Orange
Pages: [1]
Reply Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  General  |  Meta  |  Topic: Posting Contents
Jump to:  

+ Quick Reply
With a Quick-Reply you can use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post, but much more conveniently.