Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2020, 08:49:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Only Admins and Global Moderators can post threads on the News forum, but all logged users can reply to them.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Anyone Working on a D&D 5e Conversion?  (Read 5711 times)
TravelingStoryteller
Heepa-Heepa

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« on: August 14, 2019, 11:58:09 AM »

Greetings, it's been quite a while since I've posted here but I was just wondering if anyone has been working out of conversion of midnight for D&D 5e? Still haven't had the chance to really play, though I had held out hope I will be able to do so for Pathfinder though a conversion for it never got completed.

I've seen that there are few people on Reddit that have been working on concerting Midnight, at least partly, and I was just curious to see if anyone here was working on anything... admittedly, I'm not quite sure how active this site is anymore. Despite seeing it the main Midnight fanpage, at least the only one I've ever known of.
Deedlesndeedles
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 05:05:24 PM »

I have it all almost done. I tried to keep everything 5e based so a lot of the races get powered down to maintain balance. Heroic paths only give you something every few levels instead of every level for balance. Some classes needed minor changes and others needed extensive work for flavor.

Intro chapter: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ag9rHnPICnnSgoETMMR_Tawl86qp3Q

Races: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ag9rHnPICnnSgoEUwx_SyOT7hElclA

Classes: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ag9rHnPICnnSgoEa3lxmfgPceUctuw

Heroic paths: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ag9rHnPICnnSgqMWyjfc18sCzd3Luw

Options: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ag9rHnPICnnSg7N2-mQLzW9xPML0UQ?e=bMvhlL

This one has stuff like skills, extra information about races, and certain feats (prestige classes are featured as feats rather than classes though they could easily become archetypes in the future).
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 05:15:02 PM by Deedlesndeedles » Logged
TravelingStoryteller
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 08:02:25 PM »

Thank you, I'm glad to see you've already put so much work into converting Midnight to D&D 5e! I admit that I'm a little less excited about Heroic Path providing a less at each level, but but I can also understand your reasoning. Let me just take a look at things give a my thoughts more properly.
kreegan
Disembodied Spirits

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 08:07:28 PM »

That looks great, Deedlesndeedles! Wonderful job!
Fabian
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 12:18:32 PM »

Hey Deedlesndeedles,

I'm thinking of starting a Midnight PBP and wasn't quite sure what system to use.

I am very interested in your 5e conversion.

I have a couple of questions:

a) throughout the document (specially classes), there is mention of a section called "Spellcasting"; is that a separate section? If so, where is it?
b) I think there may be something wrong with the file 'Options' since it doesn't follow the established numbering system of the other files and also seems to have repeated information towards the end (repeats info from classes).

Thanks again for your hard work.

Game on!

Deedlesndeedles
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 06:19:31 PM »

Yes I recently just looked at the options and it seems I never cleaned up the file. The extra pages where the repeat info can be ignored. There isn’t any missing info from that at least currently. The spellcasting section should refer to the chapter in the 5e players handbook. There were a few spells in midnight that might be worth converting but I never got that far before it had to pause this project
Fabian
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 08:38:36 PM »

Hey,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Are you open to questions on your conversion methodology or is this project over and you don't care to spend any more time on it?

I'm asking because I do have some questions, but I don't want to bother you if you have 'moved on'.

Just let me know.

Thanks again.
Deedlesndeedles
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 04:46:25 AM »

I’m open to it I just can’t guarantee a response right away. It may take a day or two.
Fabian
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 08:10:14 AM »

Alright then, you asked for it or are allowing it. Smiley

Let's start with races:

You've allowed all races to be literate (read/write) languages; was that an oversight or done on purpose?
On the same vein, you wrote a language section on the options file. Is there any game mechanics associated with this?  Was it changed from Second Edition Midnight?

I like the optional feat you added for humans (dorn blooded, etc.). I'm thinking of giving those for 'free' to humans and giving a free feat to other races for balancing them out. I know that would make PCs more powerful but I can adjust challenges accordingly. Thoughts?

I'll look at classes next and post my thoughts on another post.

Thanks!
Fabian
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 09:58:33 AM »

Here are a few more questions:

Spellcasting:
You’ve modified the Midnight spellcasting system as far as I can tell. The modified system uses spell energy and you use one spell energy point per level of spell cast.

Are cantrips still free (i.e., no spell energy points necessary)? I’m assuming yes but wanted your confirmation. If that’s the case then this does change the feel of magic in the game where slinging spells was not done because of limited spell energy and also fear of discovery.

Does ‘proficiency with one school of magic’ just allow you to cast spells from that school? Are the schools of magic the same as those in Midnight (i.e, lesser and greater evocation)? Are you using spell lists from 5e?

The spellcasting feat says, “You gain proficiency with any two schools of magic of your choice (see Spellcasting), and an extra point of spell energy beyond what proficiency will grant you.” Does proficiency grant you spell energy?

Classes
I have some minor issues about class options. For example, I don’t like the ‘initiate’ style for the defender but I can just say that it isn’t available in my games. Easy to fix.

I’m also doubting the inclusion of warlocks in the game. But again, easy fix.

The druid circle is said to grant you features at levels 2nd, 6th, 10th, and 14th levels but this is based on the cleric domains which grant you features at levels 1st, 2nd, 6th, 8th, and 17th. Which is it?

Again, please don't take this as a challenge to your conversion. I am only trying to figure out whether your conversion will retain the feel of the game, which is something highly subjective in any case. Smiley

Thanks for your work.
Deedlesndeedles
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 10:41:05 AM »

Alright then, you asked for it or are allowing it. Smiley

Let's start with races:

You've allowed all races to be literate (read/write) languages; was that an oversight or done on purpose?
On the same vein, you wrote a language section on the options file. Is there any game mechanics associated with this?  Was it changed from Second Edition Midnight?

I like the optional feat you added for humans (dorn blooded, etc.). I'm thinking of giving those for 'free' to humans and giving a free feat to other races for balancing them out. I know that would make PCs more powerful but I can adjust challenges accordingly. Thoughts?

I'll look at classes next and post my thoughts on another post.

Thanks!

I'm glad you're enjoying this so far and I've been itching for some Midnight / non work related intellectual simulation. So I appreciate the discussion.

Languages: I left everyone literate because that's 5e mindset (trying to keep the rules/mechanics similar to 5e). I am all for illiteracy especially in midnight. So by all means make them illiterate and require them to spend months learning to read and write. I have considered a section for alternate rules that change the mechanics that were specific to 2nd edition but thought I'd start with the basics first.

I believe 5e says it takes about 250 days of practice to fully learn a new language, so based on my experience a pigeon proficiency would take about 50 days, basic 150 days and "fluent" the full 250 even though it would be obvious it's not your native language. If you're already familiar with a script/any other forms of writing/reading it is reasonable to learn it along side a new language. If it's an unfamiliar script or just never been literate, it may be a separate task to learn.

Races: midnight made each race more powerful, I simplified them to 5e standards for sake of balance and to remain constant with 5e methodology. That being said I'm not opposed to the concept of more powerful races and so am extra feat would probably mimic the power level of midnight races vs 5e races.

Spellcasting: I see the confusion. Yes, I never made a formal spell casting section as of yet. I think the feats and classes spell out the general idea though. Very defining to midnight is decreased magic, so that is one major exception built in (since they can always revert to default magic rules) Cantrips are free, subject to DM approval for each cantrip. Being noticed is definitely the main issue with them but unlimited cantrips hasn't upset any games I've been in (mostly with pathfinder rules).
 Yes, proficiency let's you use that school of magic (unless a specific spell is granted by other abilities). I believe the schools arent specified if split for conjuration and evocation, but they probably should to fit the theme. Spell lists are the same as the base 5e class, subject to DM approval, and travel magic not existing (I believe that was a thing in midnight)
Proficiency definitely needs more explaining and now I see the need to actually create the spellcasting chapter. Yes, I believe each proficiency granted a spell energy similar to midnight.

Classes: yes, feel free to disallow any archetypes/classes you don't like. I kept the warlock as a type of spirit channeller who channels one particular powerful spirit just to keep various options for spell casters.
Druids, great question, it is in accordance with the cleric features. The levels listed in the ability description are a typo left over from the Druid ability

Feel free to critique and ask any questions you'd like. It's helpful!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 11:20:27 AM by Deedlesndeedles » Logged
Fabian
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 01:05:35 PM »

Thanks for the prompt response.

Here are some additional thoughts:

Languages (and literacy) could be an RP issue and allow PCs to learn them per guidelines you mentioned as long as a teacher is available.

Talking about spellcasting made me question whether the 3.5 channeler is balanced with other classes. Is a channeler with limited spell energy balanced vs a defender or wildlander who could literally dish out damage all day long? I'm not sure that is true without the channeler having spammable cantrips that scale in power like a 5e cantrip.  And I know 5e did a really great job in balancing classes...

So assuming we need 5e cantrips, I still think we would need just one spellcasting class (the channeler) with three different flavors: spiritual (druid), charismatic (bard), and hermetic (wizard). I think we would need to start with a full-casting class and then add flavor features but these flavor features need to be applied much more frequently that regular archetypes. Maybe even maintain spell lists to keep the differences although I know that any type of channeler is supposed to be able to cast just about any spell in Midnight.

I don't know. The more I think about it the more I am leaning to just keeping the 5e classes of bard, druid, and wizard with all its mechanics in place.

So classes available would be: barbarian, bard, druid, fighter, defender, wildlander, rogue, and wizard.

Just thinking out loud here.

Thoughts?
TravelingStoryteller
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 01:09:47 PM »

Funny enough, I found that you could make a pretty crazy Defender with the Quickened Heroic Class and Run feat. Basically creating a speedster.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 02:33:10 PM by TravelingStoryteller » Logged
Deedlesndeedles
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 06:12:37 PM »

Thanks for the prompt response.

Here are some additional thoughts:

Languages (and literacy) could be an RP issue and allow PCs to learn them per guidelines you mentioned as long as a teacher is available.

Talking about spellcasting made me question whether the 3.5 channeler is balanced with other classes. Is a channeler with limited spell energy balanced vs a defender or wildlander who could literally dish out damage all day long? I'm not sure that is true without the channeler having spammable cantrips that scale in power like a 5e cantrip.  And I know 5e did a really great job in balancing classes...

So assuming we need 5e cantrips, I still think we would need just one spellcasting class (the channeler) with three different flavors: spiritual (druid), charismatic (bard), and hermetic (wizard). I think we would need to start with a full-casting class and then add flavor features but these flavor features need to be applied much more frequently that regular archetypes. Maybe even maintain spell lists to keep the differences although I know that any type of channeler is supposed to be able to cast just about any spell in Midnight.

I don't know. The more I think about it the more I am leaning to just keeping the 5e classes of bard, druid, and wizard with all its mechanics in place.

So classes available would be: barbarian, bard, druid, fighter, defender, wildlander, rogue, and wizard.

Just thinking out loud here.

Thoughts?

Yes, language should always be RP driven IMO since not everyone knows the same languages yet they all likely hear the relevant info.

5e cantrips  seem pretty fair to me. The problem with the 3.5 channeler is that it was really confusing and lacked substance. Each tradition had the same base abilities which were pretty bland. Each tradition had its own spell list so that was the main difference. Int-wizard, wis-druid, cha-bard. So rather than make one class I decided to keep the familiar classes with most of their iconic abilities intact. I didn't want to disallow many options (with the exception of cleric and paladin) who thematically only exist on the Shadow's side.

Funny enough, I found that you could make a pretty crazy Defender with the Quickened Heroic Class and Run feat. Basically creating a speedster.
Seriously though. They could be hella fast
Deedlesndeedles
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2020, 07:44:13 AM »

I found something I had been working related to spell casting and languages. It might not be complete but it at least has something to it.

Quote from: Deedlesndeedles

Language Competency
Fluent
You are either a native speaker or spent a considerable amount of time with others speaking the language. You are able to fully express yourself and understand others speaking the language.
Basic
You are relatively new to the language, but have a considerable command of the tongue. It's relatively easy to understand others, unless they speak too rapidly or use advanced vocabulary. You can express basic needs with ease, but struggle to say everything fluidly.
With basic proficiency, do not add your proficiency bonus to Charisma checks or Wisdom (insight) checks to interact with people speaking that language.
Pidgin
You know a few key words and phrases, and can get by only enough to convey simple ideas. Your vocabulary is limited beyond the most simple words. For example, you might know the word for weapon, but not for specific weapon names. At this point you resort to a combination of words and gestures.
With pidgin proficiency, you have disadvantage and cannot use your proficiency bonus on Charisma checks or Wisdom (insight) checks to interact with people speaking that language.
Reading and Writing
With such restricted access to any tools related to reading and writing in MIDNIGHT, it is not automatically assumed that you learn such skills when you learn to speak a language. With any language granted by your race, you gain literacy if the language has a written language. For languages learned later or from your background, you do not gain literacy unless you receive training.
Learning to read and write requires at least basic competency in the language and someone who can, and is willing to teach you. These individuals are rare in Aryth, since the penalty is so high were they to be caught. Besides an instructor, you are required to have one book, or book’s worth of writing (25 gp). In addition to that, you need writing supplies (15 gp), which includes one ounce of ink, a writing pen, and 25 sheets of paper or parchment. Once you have the necessary supplies, you must spend 50 days practicing with your instructor and on your own. Obtaining the supplies may be just as difficult as finding someone to teach you.
Healing and Hit Dice
When you take a short or long rest, you may only use one Hit Die to recover damage for every 10 minutes you spend resting.
When you take a long rest, you only regain half of your maximum Hit Dice (rounded down; minimum 1). You do not otherwise recover Hit Points naturally from resting.
Spellcasting
Three Paths
Though the use of magic has waned in the days of Izrador and stamped out by his minions, even common folk know there are three types of magic on Aryth. The most common type of my in this final age of Eredane is that granted by Izrador. This is divine magic, granted by a deity to his followers. The Shadow is the only source of divine magic after the Sundering.
The most natural and once most common form of magic is innate magic. This is the sort of simple and natural magic found among the elves, halflings, and even many creatures (including those with spell-like abilities). Innate magic comes from within, not calling on any god nor manipulating the power of the world. Izrador has waged war on this type of magic, and twisted the powers of other creatures to his uses. Aryth herself may be joining the fight against Izrador, as a new type of innate magic has arisen in the Last Age: the heroic paths.
Channeled magic is the most common magic used by heroes and common folk alike. Channeling draws on the natural power of Aryth. For this power to be woven and released, the conduit must expend a small portion of their own energy. This type of magic requires training, proficiency, and spell energy as described in greater detail in this chapter.
Channeled Magic
If you want to be able to cast anything beyond innate spells, and not serve Izrador, you must have the Magic Initiate feat (page X) to do so. This feat is granted automatically to those with the spellcasting class feature, though others can gain this on their own. After you have this feat, you will periodically gain proficiency in various schools of magic, or may take the Spellcasting feat to gain proficiency.
The Three Traditions
Channeled magic contains three separate traditions: charismatic, hermetic, and spiritual. While their practical differences are largely cosmetic, the three traditions each have different roots and different styles. Each of the spellcasting traditions of MIDNIGHT is based on different ways of interacting with Aryth’s magic.
All three traditions, regardless of their mindsets, use the same methods: verbal, somatic, and sometimes material components, along with a catalyst of spell energy, to create and cast spells.
Charismatic
Spellcasting Ability. Charisma
Spell List. Bard or Sorcerer
Description. You harness the magic of Aryth through sheer will. You do not usually learn from others, either by book or mentor, you have confidence and a strong sense of self to experiment again and again until you learn to control the magic, and cast spells.
Hermetic
Spellcasting Ability. Intelligence
Spell List. Wizard
Description. You use esoteric formulas translated into words of power and motions of arcane might to create spells. You are naturally gifted as a loremaster, accumulating knowledge for its own sake. Getting you to pull your head out of stacks of writing or your laboratory to share or use that knowledge is another matter.
Spiritual
Spellcasting Ability. Wisdom
Spell List. Druid or Warlock
Description. You are the most closely tied to the spirits and the physical world of the three traditions. Your magic is created through an understanding of animals and weather, as well as life and death. The motions and words used to create your spells are like dances and humble requests, rather than demands or precisely measured gestures. You might hearken to the precepts of the priests of old more than other channelers, but in place of unavailable gods, you make requests of the world and the spirits thereof.
Proficiency
Unless a feature grants you access to a specific spell, you must have proficiency in a school of magic to cast or learn spells from that school. This does not apply to cantrips or innate magic (spells granted by your race or heroic path), or spells you might learn from your class.
Whenever you gain proficiency in a school of magic, you gain one additional spell energy point and may learn any spell from that school of a spell level you can cast.
Casting Spells
As a channeler, you do not need to prepare spells ahead of time. You may cast any spell you know when you wish to cast it and cast the same spell as many times per day as you have spell energy to do so.
Spell Energy
The most notable difference between channeled magic and arcane magic in the core rules is that channeling spellcasters have neither a number of memorized spells per day, nor a number of spell slots per day. Instead, you have a number of spell energy points. You must pay one spell energy point per level of the spell you wish to cast. See the chart “Spell Energy Cost”.

Spell Energy Cost
Spell Level
Spell Energy
Cantrip
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
6th
7th
8th
9th
Running out of Spell Energy
When you run out of spell energy, you are cut off from your normal source of power, just as a spellcaster in the core rules might run out of spells. In MIDNIGHT, you have another option: you may sacrifice some of your own life essence to restore your connection to magic. Doing so is dangerous; when you cast a spell and cannot pay the cost in spell energy, you suffer one point of Constitution damage per spell energy needed. This reduces your Constitution score temporarily (you lose 1 Hit Point per level per two Constitution damage, as well as penalties to Constitution saving throws), and cannot be prevented or restored by any form of magic. During a long rest, you recover all Constitution damage suffered in this manner.
Regaining Spell Energy
After a long rest, you regain all of your Spell Energy. Certain class abilities may allow for regaining Spell Energy during short rests as well, such as the Warlock.
Casting a Spell at a Higher Level
When you cast a spell, you may use additional spell energy to cast the spell at a higher level. For instance, if Umara casts magic missile by expending 2 spell energy points, that magic missile is 2nd level.
Some spells, such as magic missile and cure wounds, have more powerful effects when cast at a higher level, as detailed in the spell’s description.
Reducing Spell Energy Costs
Ritual spells, per the core rules, do not expend spell energy (spell slots). They need not have the spell known, provided you or the leader of the ritual does.
Spell talismans (see page X) can also help ease your burden with specific spells.
Components
Channeled magic is an art more than a science, and depends more on personal investiture of power than in complex interactions with mystic materials and strange physical properties. All magic still requires the same verbal and somatic components, but they do not require the material components unless they have a value of 1 gp or greater.
Spells
Restricted Magic
Planar Travel
Aryth is completely cut off from the other planes since the time of the Sundering. As such spells that require contact with or travel to or through other planes to not function in MIDNIGHT. This includes spells such as Astral Projection, Blink, Etherealness, Teleport, or any other similar spell or effect. Additionally, since there is nowhere for extradimensional spaces to exist, such as those created by rope trick or a bag of holding, spells and effects that create extradimensional spaces also do not function.
Summoning
Summoning in MIDNIGHT is considered advanced channelling. You must be at least 5th level for any spell that would summon any kind of creature or object, except if you are granted the find familiar spell by your class.
Rather than calling on extraplanar creatures, summoning spells in MIDNIGHT call on the lesser eternal spirits on Aryth, those who have always been part of the world and always will be. The summoning spell merely gives the spirit a physical form, powers, and even provides it with a certain level of intellect and ability to communicate, dependent on the power of the caster who created the vessel for it and bound it temporarily to this world.
Each summoner knows only one spirit, and each spirit may take on a limited number of forms. While these forms need not be chosen at any particular time, the summoner may only create a number of types of forms equal to their spellcasting ability modifier for any given summoning spell. Once the type is chosen, it cannot be changed.
Whether because the spirits called are the same each time, or because the summoner imprints his or her personality and connection with the summoned spirit each time, a summoned creature seems to remember the events and experiences from each previous time it was summoned. This continuity also allows spellcasters to form personal bonds with the spirits they summon, akin to friendship. They might even summon creatures merely to talk with them about some problem or get advice from a friendly source.
Fabian
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2020, 10:02:14 AM »

Thanks for the additional input but I think in order to balance out 5e, you would need unlimited cantrips and I don't see my Midnight channelers spamming fire bolts or things like that.

I think I will use the old 3.5 rules with some minor modifications brought about by the Pathfinder rules (i.e., skills consolidation).  The game I will GM will be Play By Post (PBP) so there's plenty of time to look up rules which me or my future players are not familiar with.  I also like the options that 3.5 rules brings about (i.e., no two defenders or no two wildlanders should be the same).

Thanks again!
Deedlesndeedles
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2020, 04:08:16 PM »

Whatever works for you! I don't think midnight intended for blaster casters in any version, since evocation spells that do damage are considered "greater evocation". That being said I appreciate the feedback you've given.
Fabian
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2020, 06:00:47 AM »

I'm still working on a 5e conversion and would love your feedback.

How's this for channelers...

Charismatic, Spiritual, and Hermetic Traditions as per 5e bard, druid, and wizard, respectively, with every ‘ability’ remaining as per 5e with the exception of spellcasting.
Spells and cantrips known as per 5e bard.
Spell points available as per bard/druid/wizard (all the same) which equals spell level*spell slots. For example: 2 spell points for a 1st level caster or 16 spell points for a 5th level caster.
Spells cost their level in spell points with the exception of cantrips which costs 1 spell point after the 1st 4 cantrips are cast.

I'm not sure if that's the best way to treat cantrips which I want to keep but also want to avoid cantrips being spammed all day.  Maybe cantrips cost 1/2 spell point?

The races with natural channeling ability (elves, some halflings) would get the Magic Initiate Feat from 5e modified as follows:

Natural Channeler. You gain the Magic Initiate feat (bard, druid, or wizard lists). This is considered innate magic, rather than channeled. You can cast these cantrips up to four times between long rests.

Thoughts?

Game on!

Deedlesndeedles
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2020, 11:37:22 AM »

Yeah, that could work. Per 2nd ed midnight you get 3+stat / day of cantrips separate from spell energy. The way I had it designed and similar to midnight is casters have LVL+stat+misc bonuses in spell energy. If people want more cantrips, you could always let them spend 1 spell energy to recover 2 slots or 1/2 spell energy cost whatever works best for your players.
Fabian
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2020, 02:26:16 PM »

Yes, I like that.

The Magic Initiate feat would be considered innate magic, rather than channeled), with the following changes: only cantrips/spells available are from bard, druid, or wizard lists. You can cast the two cantrips selected up to (2 + associated ability modifier) times between long rests.

For channelers, spells cost their level in spell points with the exception of cantrips which costs 1 spell point after the 1st (3+ability modifier) cantrips are cast.

This way, I keep all the abilities of bard, druid, and wizard (which have fluff associated with them in the setting) and only replace spell casting which hopefully doesn't offset the balance of the game.

Thanks,
PhadeOut
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-1

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2020, 03:18:19 PM »

I have it all almost done. I tried to keep everything 5e based so a lot of the races get powered down to maintain balance. Heroic paths only give you something every few levels instead of every level for balance. Some classes needed minor changes and others needed extensive work for flavor.

Intro chapter: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ag9rHnPICnnSgoETMMR_Tawl86qp3Q

Races: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ag9rHnPICnnSgoEUwx_SyOT7hElclA

Classes: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ag9rHnPICnnSgoEa3lxmfgPceUctuw

Heroic paths: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ag9rHnPICnnSgqMWyjfc18sCzd3Luw

Options: https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ag9rHnPICnnSg7N2-mQLzW9xPML0UQ?e=bMvhlL

This one has stuff like skills, extra information about races, and certain feats (prestige classes are featured as feats rather than classes though they could easily become archetypes in the future).

Been a long time since I posted here.  I used to be realllly active (hell you'll find my name in the Midnight 2E book if you look, the Alias I use is there!)

Got pulled in to a 5E game online due to the current... well, mess we have in the world.  I wanted to avoid 5E if I could, but doesn't seem my boycott will last lol (I'm an old school fanboy and prefer'd 2E, C&C and .... 3.5 only for Midnight at this point).

Now, with 5E.  Yes, I would kill for a Midnight conversion.

You have done and AWESOME job so far!  Very nice to see it built right into the actual digital books... wow!  Excellent!

Phadeout

"We are gonna need total luck this time! ...Don't worry, luck is one of my skills."
"Yes, that is my name in the M2E playtest credits..."
Deedlesndeedles
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2020, 06:32:33 AM »

@Fabian awesome! Sounds like you've got a plan. Hope you and your players enjoy. Let me know how it works out

@phadeout I appreciate the feedback! 5e isn't so bad, for me it makes it less about the stats and rules and more about good RP. Perfect for midnight
Fabian
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2020, 07:30:43 AM »

Hey Deedlesndeedles,

I've made some edits to your documents with regards to races.

However, I have pilfered your defender (minus one 'option') and your wildlander (well not really because you got that from UA).  But I did take your Heroic Paths (full document and it's excellent layout) for use in my game.

I'll let you know if we encounter any balance issues. My game is starting in a couple of days but it's  PBP and therefore 'slow' and so may the feedback. Smiley

Game on!
Gabboge
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2020, 06:01:45 PM »

OK, I'm gearing up to run a crown campaign using a lot of your rule set. I'm a bit worried some of my players will be scared off of anything not covered by DnD Beyond's systems but I'm hopeful. Has anyone run a 5e game with these rules and have any tips?

\"No Mr.Bond..... I expect you to die!\"  -Travis.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Open Discussion (Moderators: Bleak Knight, Glacialis)  |  Topic: Anyone Working on a D&D 5e Conversion?
Jump to: