Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 12, 2018, 11:15:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Avoid offending or attacking other users, be polite and well mannered and only good will come from it.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 3  (Read 124864 times)
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +5/-0

« Reply #575 on: September 03, 2018, 10:43:10 AM »

"I'm used to hiding a few things while moving through Shadowed lands, but I know that most of us aren't," Amethyst agreed ruefully.  "And... we could potentially pair Dunkin with Fedwyn as a couple of bodyguards, alongside 'my' human ones.  A little recolouring of the skin, and the like, and we could perhaps claim to have two dworgs with us.  Not that I have any experience in smuggling fey through.  I'm rather more accustomed to the 'so evidently inoffensive she can't be a threat' style of getting through check points and past patrols.  And I've never tried getting into a real city."

She cocked her head, then frowned thoughtfully.  "An option could be to present Siobhan as our actual courier, and me as her... factotum, as it were.  But that could potentially create as many problems as it solved.  In any case, the more we can avoid providing explanations, the better.  I can quite possibly bluff my way past most people without needing to provide clear details: there are quite enough factions within the clergy and associated organisations that dropping a few suitable hints might persuade the average guard not to pry further.  But sooner or later, we're going to be examined in detail, I fear.

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #576 on: September 15, 2018, 06:52:16 AM »

Wendle continued to cross his arms frowning.

"I don't like it. It goes against everything I've ever been taught as a smuggler. Although..." he sighed. "You might actually just be able to pull it off. The lass Fedwyn has more in common with Orcs than Dwarves and she's been getting bigger to boot. Alright fine then. Dunkin, you've got some good points to make. You and Ivy'll get all of the loose gear we don't want to be anywhere near a city proper and if Fedwyn can't make it work, then we'll have to rethink our strategy.

We can talk more about his on our way."

With that, the Gnome and his companions began making their way westward.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 06:56:29 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged

Currently reading: Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series; The Hero of Ages.
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #577 on: September 20, 2018, 04:05:03 AM »

Amethyst offered Wendle a worriedly grateful look, before turning away to round up her companions - with her now having a direct need to talk to every single person in the group, at least briefly, to try to discuss and sort out quite what they might best be suited to (individually and collectively) when it comes time to bluff their way past the Shadow's forces of oppression.

That did at least give her particular reason to spend time directly checking up on those closest to her heart, with Fedwyn and Siobhan top of that list.
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #578 on: September 26, 2018, 03:57:50 PM »

Dunkin spent as much time away from the party as was possible during their trek.  Mostly he would scout ahead, lay traps and hunt with Eirik, or fall back well behind the group to cover their trail when possible.  Mostly, he wanted to be well away should they run into anyone, at least until Amethyst had figured out a disguise for him.

A Black Blood dwarf had worked well enough in the Kaladruns, but he doubted many were seen in these parts, and he would probably be killed long before he could even start laying out the ruse.  And passing as a dworg was just as unlikely given his coloring and build, but he would let Amethyst try.

So he kept his distance, to keep the others safe.

Dunkin stats
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #579 on: November 06, 2018, 03:12:36 AM »

The days of travel after this became harsh. The rains started to come in suddenly and what had been long days through the waves of grass turned into even longer dredging days of rough travel, broken by scarce shelter and cold meals around whatever meager fire Siobhan could conjure up to keep them warm and moving. Occasionally they were given small breaks for several hours but the cold rain always returned.

Their supplies dwindled, hunting became all too scarce, and before they knew it they were having to heavily ration out their food to one time a day, and then once every other day. Hunger set it and they were getting tired.

However, it was during another long waterlogged day when they came into view of smoke in the distance. Siobhan could tell, it was the smoke of burning wood and there was a lot of it. Amethyst however, thought she recognized the area.
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #580 on: November 19, 2018, 09:54:30 AM »

"We should be near the village of Linemell."  Amethyst's voice was pensive, a frown creasing her brow above the half-mask she wore against travel-dust - and to conceal her features from any travellers they might meet.

"I've been here three times in the past four years.  A bit out of the way for my usual routes, but it was on the fringes of the area my transit passes covered, as part of my water-purifying and small-trading rounds.  The children liked my stories, which usually helps break the ice with the adults.  The local lawkeeper is a man named Xander.  It's a stable place.  Should be free from random raids or punishment.  I'd normally count on being able to trade for supplies, and have somewhere safe to sleep for as long as I needed."

She sighed, shaking her head, glancing around before peering towards the rising smoke.

"I want to have a closer look.  Even if it's just the sneakiest couple of us moving nearer to see what's happened."  To emphasise the point, she flipped up the hood of her elven cloak - but made no move to set off unsupported.
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #581 on: November 19, 2018, 06:09:55 PM »

Dunk looked from the girl to the smoke and back. He wanted to avoid the area entirely, but the chance at a place to trade for food couldn't be passed up with how poorly they were eating.

"How many people do you think you could cover with your passes? If you've visited before, it might not be strange to be seen again, though I and most others would have to wait off at a distance. I don't want to send you in, as there are likely Shadow forces there, but we need food."
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 3
Jump to: