Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 21, 2018, 02:08:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Check the links box on the front page, there you will find all Midnight sites we are aware of.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 3  (Read 107426 times)
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +5/-0

« Reply #550 on: June 20, 2018, 06:01:11 PM »

Having spent some time calming Fedwyn - not least, assuring her that someone astride a great four-legged beast was not necessarily to be feared, let alone attacked as soon as she came within charging distance - Amethyst did indeed accompany Siobhan closer to Alyssa.

Removing the half-mask customarily worn to shield her mouth and nose from the dust of travel across the plains, she tipped back the hood of her elven cloak and offered a warm smile.  Though she studied the stranger with intent interest, she had trust both in her ability to spot an undercover servant of the Shadow and in the convivial trustworthiness of virtually everyone she met face-to-face.

"We are a strange group, and no mistake.  But we will do our best to help you.  I'm Amethyst, and this is Siobhan.  Do you need a drink, or anything to eat?  We can spare something immediately to help you have the strength for the walk ahead.  We can sort things out as we go, if you're up to it.  Oh - is there anything at all in your honoured steed's tack that you wish to keep?  If it would help your mount's chances to remove any of it, we can.   Otherwise, I fear that we really should be on our way."

For her part, Amethyst had every intention of spending some time charming Alyssa, to secure another friend for herself and the group.  After all, people were almost always fundamentally decent when she gave them the chance to be, and even such an unusual thing as introducing a fugitive channeller to a dworg was bound to go all right.

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #551 on: June 26, 2018, 04:51:14 AM »

Interlude- THE LONG DAYS AHEAD:

The old woman stood atop the hill, it would not be long now. She could feel it, the whims of fate were turning, conspiring again. She'd hoped she would get to live out an easy life, at least once more. But she'd known for some time now, that it had all been a false hope. One she'd convinced herself of. She was the master of illusions after all.

In the distance she saw those with lives she had shepherded for some time now. Going about their usual days, tucked away in a hidden nook within the world despite the growing shadow upon the land. The children playing in the fields, blissfully unaware. The adults happily watching, but knowing in their hearts how lucky they really were. She knew the whole truth. The grasslands had turned from their summer gold to the autumn red now. It was beautiful, but only for a short time, soon the grass would harden and the storms would set in.

She smiled, recalling the day that little girl had come into her life. She had been something special, and someday she knew, something this world would need. That had been the first sign. She picked up the harp from the ground. It's white wood and gold inlay upon the top seemed to glow in the setting sun. She plucked a few strings.

She should have been moving already, she knew. Just like that old codger was already doing so. He had always been like that, she mused.

The wind began to blow past her, steadily picking up in speed.

"Hurry home, Amethyst." She said, speaking a language that had not been heard in far too long. She spoke to the wind and wished as much as she dared and then she began to play.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 04:53:40 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged

Currently reading: Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series; The Hero of Ages.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #552 on: July 04, 2018, 07:01:39 AM »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 03:58:04 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #553 on: July 05, 2018, 09:17:38 AM »

Dunk stops short at the vision of Kjellan with the eyes of an avatar.  Was the Witch Queen that powerful she could take over any under her gaze?

He stutters, and takes a knee in an attempt at respect.

"Y-y-yes, My Lady. We are coming as fast as we can, but the road is difficult.  The food has been scarce."

He then shuts up, and blushes, realizing that is not her concern and their rumbling stomachs are not worthy of her attention.

Dunkin stats
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #554 on: July 06, 2018, 02:14:44 AM »

Kjellan's face did not react to his statement. There was several seconds of silence then he spoke again in that same demanding voice.

"Nothing can be easy anymore Dunkin. Such is the path we have all set ourselves upon. But unlikely opportunity arises within unexpected places. But for this opportunity to bear fruit, I must ask you do something which you may come to hate me for. When you reach the rivers edge, I will ask you to divide your current group. Your current task is necessary and must be completed without failure. Both of these will require a Dwarf, and..." Kjellan stopped to look at himself. "one will require a Thane. Regardless of your feelings, events have shown me that neither can be completed alone. You need not choose now but you do not have too long to decide either. Come to me as a group, or split your forces, I will not force you on either path. But whatever your current trouble are, at least until you reach the river and have made your decision, you must ensure Kjellan's survival."
Pheros

« Reply #555 on: July 06, 2018, 11:49:04 AM »

Dunk shook his head.  The hardship of recent days had left him confused.  The voice and tone were different.  "The Elf Queen?  Durgis?  Who speaks through him?" he thought, but moved on.  He trusted the leadership of both, and would follow orders of either.

"I will keep him safe. Count on it.  But how should we split up, and where should the other group go?  I don't know enough about these lands to lead, or even to keep us fed.  I'm failing them."
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #556 on: July 07, 2018, 01:26:54 AM »

There was another pause as Kjellan's black eyes seemingly began to bore into Dunkin "I can tell you have plenty of questions but you should know exactly who I am. With the use of this crown, Kjellan allowed Rhiann to possess his body, and through her, I am able to speak to you directly.

As for your troubles, surely you are not alone in this. You make it sound as though you are the only one they can rely upon. Drop your foolish pride and ask your companions for help. Do not be afraid to take risks, if necessary. Success or failure is determined by the actions one takes.  You must persevere.

I know where to lead them and there will be help along the way for both. Would you really feel comfortable with that knowledge now, Dunkin?"
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 01:29:35 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Pheros

« Reply #557 on: July 07, 2018, 11:01:03 AM »

A deep blush of shame slams into Dunk's face as his thoughts are told to him.

And now I fail her he thinks, hanging his head lower as he knows she'll hear that too.

"You're right, of course. I've spent so much time alone, or leading, I'm lost now. But I can learn from the others. I will. I will persevere. We WILL survive.

No, you're right. It's not my place to know why or where.  If I need to you'll tell me, and if you don't I will follow the mission.  Thank you My Lady. I will try not to lose heart again."
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #558 on: July 07, 2018, 05:42:30 PM »

There was the same alien presence emanating from Kjellan's body for several long moments, but then his expression shifted. Shifting to something far less imposing and much more empathetic.

"Thedron told me it would be this way with the future generations. You in particular bear among the heaviest of burdens. But thankfully you have to wisdom to heed others counsel. No matter how long one lives or how strong or how powerful one becomes, you must never lose sight of the world around you." Kjellan smiled. "Your resolve is heartening. I'm sure you'll succeed."
Pheros

« Reply #559 on: July 09, 2018, 11:57:31 PM »

"Thank you my Lady. Your faith in me will not be misplaced.  I will bring you what I bear, and carry the others as far as I am able."

Dunk, still on one knee, lowers his head further down, a mix of respect, shame, and resolve.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 3
Jump to: