Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 22, 2018, 06:40:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Before making a question, try using the search function, sometimes your doubt has already been answered before.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 3  (Read 88810 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy
**

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0
Offline Offline

Posts: 197



« Reply #525 on: November 07, 2017, 06:59:27 AM »

Eirik had said little during the exchange between the group for while he'd been examining the Orcish tracks his mind had wandered far from the current area, or even the current time. He saw Nefario's inevitable death.

Fire, arrows, blood. A few dead Orcs and over two dozen dead Halflings. Nefario's lifeless body.

At Ivy's shout to her cousin, his head snapped up. His pupils were hidden behind a glowing soft white light. With a jolt he violently shook his head and his eyes snapped back to their natural dark brown. He looked dizzy and sick but reached out for Nefario as the Halfling disappeared into the grass.

"Nefario! Nefario wait! Whatever you're planning, it isn't going to work!"

Nefario stopped and turned around, looking back at him. "What do you mean it won't work?"

"There's an Orc... he hunts Halflings specifically. He's missing the front part of his nose which looks like it was cut or sheared off. He hunts you down and kills you when your attempt fails."

He shook his head. "Okay, say you're right. So what do I-"

"You have to lure him away! But you can't do it yourself, it has to be someone else. An outcast of theirs. Bring him with you! It's the only way you'll have a chance." Eirik had a fevered look about him as he spoke.

Nefario shook his head. "Yeah, okay, sure. Anything else I need to know?"

Eirik paused, seeming unsure. "I don't know, there was more I think but..."

"Okay, sure Eirik. I'll see about taking your advice." He then turned and stalked off into the grass. Leaving Eirik feeling light headed and unsure if the Halfling really would heed what he said.
Logged
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,453


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #526 on: November 09, 2017, 03:13:24 PM »

The final words exchanged with Nefario, the hunting party decided to pick up their catches for the day and return to the rest of the group.

The days catches were light due the unexpectedness of Nefario's departure. The mood of the group overall was of a mixed variety when it was brought up. Ivy was conflicted and quiet. Eirik seemed worried but also strangely removed from the situation and somewhat distracted. Wendle was angry, cursing up a storm and calling him a fool for rushing off on his own but also for putting them all at risk. Kjellan was similarly worried although he did not share his father's anger and even calmed Wendle down by reminding him that anything Nefario might do would be seen as an action by another Halfling, and not necessarily by them.

Dorin was stoic about it, declaring that it was something about strengthening his Meagan.
Logged

Currently reading: Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series; The Hero of Ages.
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,472



WWW
« Reply #527 on: November 09, 2017, 03:59:17 PM »

Dunk looked around as the group processed Nefario's decision.

"You're all here by choice, one way or the other, and no one has any call to make you stay.  I don't say that to drive you off; the road is dark ahead and everyone will be welcome and needed. But you each have chosen to travel with us on this quest, and you may each choose to leave when you are called to."
Logged

1.6180339887...
Dunkin stats
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,453


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #528 on: January 15, 2018, 05:41:21 AM »

Eirik nodded slowly. The mood reminded everyone of what had happened to him some weeks ago but he seemed to be handling it a bit better than before. "I think we've made our choice."

Dorin just shrugged. "Can't say I'm thrilled about this but I'm not going to leave this task undone."

Ivy seemed resolved but kept glancing off towards the direction Nefario had gone. It was clear she did not feel as strong about her decision as she had after seeing him go off.

Mandag gave a small but hollow laugh. "You Dwarves are just as stubborn as ever. I can't let you do this on your own. I've got my own reasons to see this through."

Wendell begrudgingly nodded. "Your words carry the weight of someone who's lost their clan. If it were me I'd probably do things differently but you do things your way"

Kjellan looked to his father... but then he looked down at the axe in his hand and his gaze steeled. "Ye can' possibly expect me ta give up now. I'm Dor of clan Durgis! "

Timeon ran a hand through his hair a genuine grin on his face. "We may have lost one to the whims of fate but you'll have me as long as I think this is the right thing to do."

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:52:38 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,472



WWW
« Reply #529 on: January 15, 2018, 07:24:43 AM »

Dunk nodded to each in turn. "I thank you all. Now, let's get some rest, we should plan to leave early tomorrow."

Dunk offers to sit watch with Ivy, knowing she will be too worried to sleep, and to keep an eye on her.
Logged
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,453


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #530 on: January 16, 2018, 06:22:57 AM »

The group settled down for another night. The plains began to move with a light breeze and a small chill in the air. After months or in some cases lifetimes in the much harsher climates of the Kaladruns, this much milder experience and didn't really seem to bother the group.

Leaving the others to their slumber, Ivy and Dunkin took watch for the evening. The plains grasses made a light rushing sound that seemed troublesome to the Elfling who watched it as if she expected to see something move through it at any movement.

Nothing was said for a long time between the two until Ivy finally spoke to Dunkin. "Thank you for your words earlier Dunkin. Nefario was always abrasive in his mannerisms but he believes in doing the right thing. His mother and my aunt, Constance, is the matriarch of the Duskrunner tribe and even she could not abide his attitude or control him completely. I hope you can forgive him someday.

This task we've been given to complete, what will you do if we complete it? Your home was destroyed. Will you try to find your way back to the Pardrum Holdfast?"


Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,472



WWW
« Reply #531 on: January 16, 2018, 11:42:26 PM »

Dunk smiles sadly. "Forgive him?  There's nothing to forgive. If anything, I respect him even more.  And I have to say, I thought you were about to go too, but I can see you're torn between your new clan and your old. That's why I wanted to stay up with you; to make sure someone saw you off if you changed your mind.

The moment I saw the look on his face, I knew what he was intending.  I've seen that look on countless dwarves sent on a mission of vital importance they know they wouldn't survive.  I've seen it on myself before, too, but somehow I'm still around.  No, that's the look of overwhelming duty.  Of knowing you're a small pebble in a large landslide, and though you will get crushed to dust in the process, you are needed to make everything go.

That's how I feel now.  There is no 'after' for me.  I'll die on this quest, probably right here on these plains, and my bones will be picked by scavengers and bleached in the sun. Or if I'm strong enough, quick enough, and lucky enough, I might make it far enough that the elves find my body and what I carry and the mission is completed.

We're all just kindling. We'll burn out long before we see if the spark grows to a blaze, or is snuffed out dead. But either way we will burn to ash before any end is reached. Some, like Nefario, can see where their fire is needed. For me, I trust the hands of those who have built fires before to know where to put me and when to set things alight.

But if I do somehow come out of this alive? I move on to my next task. I have a list of debts and duties that seem to build by the day. And right on top is finding the ones who made those stone creatures that destroyed Durgis Rock, and stopping them. 

And what about you?  Where will you go at the end, should you light the flame and survive?"


Logged
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,453


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #532 on: January 17, 2018, 04:09:09 AM »

"My initial plan had been to help get Siobhan and Amethyst to the Kaladrun mountains. But that's when I met the rest of the group who were traveling with the elves Rhiann, Aerinn, and Bayal. I traveled with the three of them directly for a brief time, that was just before we met you and went to Durgis Rock. They confirmed for me the stories I'd been told of my lineage and offered me a chance to travel back with them to Erethor Forest."
Ivy gave a resigned sigh after that and let the silence hang in the air for a few long moments.

"I thought about leaving with Nefario. He always needed someone with a cooler head than his around. But lately it felt like my words couldn't reach him anymore. No, this was his choice to leave, not mine. I've decided to stay and help on this quest.

I'd always known I was different than the others in my tribe and Constance told me that my mother had once traveled to the southern Elven jungle-forest of Erethor. It seems Halflings are all welcomed there as friends and allies... and it's also where my mother met my father. An Elf named Talistan. Supposedly she returned to her tribe because she wanted me raised among her people rather than the elves. I suppose I've always wanted to meet him. If he's still alive, I want to find him. After that... Return home? Stay with him if I'm allowed?"
She glanced around the other members of the sleeping group. To Dunkin's sharp eyes he thought her gaze might have lingered on Eirik longer than the rest. "I don't know."

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 04:28:15 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,472



WWW
« Reply #533 on: January 17, 2018, 02:50:53 PM »

Dunk simply nodded silently, and patted her on the shoulder.
Logged
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,453


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #534 on: February 04, 2018, 09:41:54 AM »

Plains of Erenland: Late Summer

Weeks passed as the group traveled westward across the open plains.  Hunting became harder the longer the season went. Larger game became scarce although there seemed to be an increase in much smaller game. The early mornings were clear of any fog, a good time of year, at least according to Timeon. Days were filled with sweltering heat and the long marches drained the group, forcing some of them to eat more to keep up their strength. Each had their own strengths or  weaknesses to deal with the trials, but thankfully with the abundance of supplies, food at least was not really an issue.

Eirik seemed to be unfazed by the heat and didn't slow down at all. Seeming perfectly suited to long marches overland.
Dunkin was readily used to such hardships and marched on, never slowing down.
Dorin never openly complained and seemed able to endure the marches as well but to the trained Dwarf's eye he could tell the the Dorn's he could tell it was just as much his long strides as it was his own fortitude that kept him ahead of the others.
Although Amethyst and Siobhan weren't bothered by the heat, they still felt the long marches and after days of marching long hours began to feel the slow burn in their legs.
The rest of the group had a fair bit more trouble trying to manage the days.
Fedwin, however, had remained quiet for almost all of the time during their travels. She managed to keep up with the rest of the group, but Siobhan and Amethyst could tell she seemed to be the most readily affected by the summer sun, and spent most of her days in a sort of nauseated daze, enduring the seeming torment until twilight came where she seemed to recover somewhat.


It was another hot day with no wind to bring any sort of relief to the party when they began to hear hoof beats.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,472



WWW
« Reply #535 on: February 04, 2018, 03:03:50 PM »

At the sound of the hooves, Dunk grabbed Kjellan, Ivy and Fedwin. "We can't be seen. Everyone should hide, but the four of us most of all.

Amethyst, we'll be close, but you should do the talking.
Logged
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,453


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #536 on: February 05, 2018, 08:09:16 AM »

As Dunkin hurried to get those of Elven, Dwarven, and Orcish blood down to hide within the tall grass, several others began to hide themselves as well. After 15 seconds however, it quickly became apparent that the hoof beats were that of only a single horses and no others.
Logged
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,453


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #537 on: February 11, 2018, 06:53:59 AM »

Those of the group that had hid together, looked questioningly at those who had proven to be more skilled at hunting and listening. As the moments passed, the hoof beats got closer and louder but only the single horse. The rider was nearly upon the group now, though it was unclear if they'd seen any of the group or not.

Shaking his head, Eirik pulled the hood of the camouflaging cloak over his head and risked a look up. Ivy gasped and mouthed for him to get back down but even as she finished with her hand motions he dropped back down quickly.

"One rider. No one else." he said, quietly while indicating with his fingers and shaking his head.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 07:04:56 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,472



WWW
« Reply #538 on: February 11, 2018, 12:50:14 PM »

Dunk frowns.  "Legate? Scout? Hunter? Who travels alone in the occupied lands?" he whispers
Logged
Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy
**

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0
Offline Offline

Posts: 197



« Reply #539 on: February 11, 2018, 06:02:42 PM »

Eirik seemed to mimic what Dunkin said, then went still for several second. Dunkin was sure he saw the young man's eyes cloud over but then he snapped up to standing in the grass throwing back his hood in order to reveal himself as he moved forward.

"Wait, stop! I'm friend!" he said, in broken colonial.
Logged
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,453


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #540 on: February 11, 2018, 06:28:28 PM »

The sound of hoof beats pulled sharp turn and the horse neighed in surprise. The horse galloped a ways off before slowing down. There was several long moments of silence before a fairly raspy but female voice called out in response.

"Oh, and why should I believe you, lone hunter, when you were hiding in the grass?"

In the bushes, Timeon's head was shaking. Brushing himself off, he stood up, making sure his hands were raised in a non-threatening manner.

"Hello there. I'm afraid lone hunter, is not quite correct. My friend here, as you can tell, does not speak our language very well." Eirik glanced over at Timeon"Perhaps we may speak at a closer distance and at length? You do not appear to well dressed for riding a horse? We have food and water if that would make things easier for you."

There was another several long moments of silence but the Sarcosan man's honeyed words seemed to have done the trick. " Perhaps we can speak now. Come out into the open and bring the supplies."
Logged
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,453


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #541 on: February 14, 2018, 07:45:23 AM »

Timeon chuckled and shrugged, walking out into the open while Eirik hesitated momentarily.

Timeon tossed the supplies down which were scooped up immediately by the woman who went first for the water, gulping it down swiftly. Then hungrily bit into some dried mushroom with only a momentary grimace before devouring the rest.

"Perhaps it would be prudent for us to find you something else to wear while we're at it?" He stated.

There was a long pause but then the woman responded. "What's wrong? Do you not like what you see?"

"It doesn't bother me any, but I think you're making my young friend here nervous."

"Well he can either give me that cloak around his shoulders or he can just wait."

Eirik remained silent as he mostly tried to keep up with the conversation until he realized he was being addressed. He then begrudgingly took off the cloak and held it out to her. "Here. Take it."

"Right, now that's taken care of... how did you come to be out here by yourself? With no supplies or even riding clothes. Were you escaping raiders or fell in the middle of the night?"  Timeon's eyes narrowed. "Or did you steal the horse from your home?"

"Taking the horse was necessary. They were going to sacrifice me to the mirror at Badstone Gate if I hadn't escaped!"
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:54:48 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 3
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
AtS Dark Mercury design by Nifelhein, based on the Mercury theme by Bloc
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 75 queries.
TinyPortal © 2005-2011