Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 18, 2018, 07:41:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Did you know any logged user can submit a new article or download to the site?
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 3  (Read 83980 times)
Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« Reply #525 on: November 07, 2017, 06:59:27 AM »

Eirik had said little during the exchange between the group for while he'd been examining the Orcish tracks his mind had wandered far from the current area, or even the current time. He saw Nefario's inevitable death.

Fire, arrows, blood. A few dead Orcs and over two dozen dead Halflings. Nefario's lifeless body.

At Ivy's shout to her cousin, his head snapped up. His pupils were hidden behind a glowing soft white light. With a jolt he violently shook his head and his eyes snapped back to their natural dark brown. He looked dizzy and sick but reached out for Nefario as the Halfling disappeared into the grass.

"Nefario! Nefario wait! Whatever you're planning, it isn't going to work!"

Nefario stopped and turned around, looking back at him. "What do you mean it won't work?"

"There's an Orc... he hunts Halflings specifically. He's missing the front part of his nose which looks like it was cut or sheared off. He hunts you down and kills you when your attempt fails."

He shook his head. "Okay, say you're right. So what do I-"

"You have to lure him away! But you can't do it yourself, it has to be someone else. An outcast of theirs. Bring him with you! It's the only way you'll have a chance." Eirik had a fevered look about him as he spoke.

Nefario shook his head. "Yeah, okay, sure. Anything else I need to know?"

Eirik paused, seeming unsure. "I don't know, there was more I think but..."

"Okay, sure Eirik. I'll see about taking your advice." He then turned and stalked off into the grass. Leaving Eirik feeling light headed and unsure if the Halfling really would heed what he said.
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #526 on: November 09, 2017, 03:13:24 PM »

The final words exchanged with Nefario, the hunting party decided to pick up their catches for the day and return to the rest of the group.

The days catches were light due the unexpectedness of Nefario's departure. The mood of the group overall was of a mixed variety when it was brought up. Ivy was conflicted and quiet. Eirik seemed worried but also strangely removed from the situation and somewhat distracted. Wendle was angry, cursing up a storm and calling him a fool for rushing off on his own but also for putting them all at risk. Kjellan was similarly worried although he did not share his father's anger and even calmed Wendle down by reminding him that anything Nefario might do would be seen as an action by another Halfling, and not necessarily by them.

Dorin was stoic about it, declaring that it was something about strengthening his Meagan.

Currently reading: Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series; The Hero of Ages.
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #527 on: November 09, 2017, 03:59:17 PM »

Dunk looked around as the group processed Nefario's decision.

"You're all here by choice, one way or the other, and no one has any call to make you stay.  I don't say that to drive you off; the road is dark ahead and everyone will be welcome and needed. But you each have chosen to travel with us on this quest, and you may each choose to leave when you are called to."

Dunkin stats
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #528 on: January 15, 2018, 05:41:21 AM »

Eirik nodded slowly. The mood reminded everyone of what had happened to him some weeks ago but he seemed to be handling it a bit better than before. "I think we've made our choice."

Dorin just shrugged. "Can't say I'm thrilled about this but I'm not going to leave this task undone."

Ivy seemed resolved but kept glancing off towards the direction Nefario had gone. It was clear she did not feel as strong about her decision as she had after seeing him go off.

Mandag gave a small but hollow laugh. "You Dwarves are just as stubborn as ever. I can't let you do this on your own. I've got my own reasons to see this through."

Wendell begrudgingly nodded. "Your words carry the weight of someone who's lost their clan. If it were me I'd probably do things differently but you do things your way"

Kjellan looked to his father... but then he looked down at the axe in his hand and his gaze steeled. "Ye can' possibly expect me ta give up now. I'm Dor of clan Durgis! "

Timeon ran a hand through his hair a genuine grin on his face. "We may have lost one to the whims of fate but you'll have me as long as I think this is the right thing to do."

« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 05:52:38 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Pheros

« Reply #529 on: January 15, 2018, 07:24:43 AM »

Dunk nodded to each in turn. "I thank you all. Now, let's get some rest, we should plan to leave early tomorrow."

Dunk offers to sit watch with Ivy, knowing she will be too worried to sleep, and to keep an eye on her.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #530 on: January 16, 2018, 06:22:57 AM »

The group settled down for another night. The plains began to move with a light breeze and a small chill in the air. After months or in some cases lifetimes in the much harsher climates of the Kaladruns, this much milder experience and didn't really seem to bother the group.

Leaving the others to their slumber, Ivy and Dunkin took watch for the evening. The plains grasses made a light rushing sound that seemed troublesome to the Elfling who watched it as if she expected to see something move through it at any movement.

Nothing was said for a long time between the two until Ivy finally spoke to Dunkin. "Thank you for your words earlier Dunkin. Nefario was always abrasive in his mannerisms but he believes in doing the right thing. His mother and my aunt, Constance, is the matriarch of the Duskrunner tribe and even she could not abide his attitude or control him completely. I hope you can forgive him someday.

This task we've been given to complete, what will you do if we complete it? Your home was destroyed. Will you try to find your way back to the Pardrum Holdfast?"

Pheros

« Reply #531 on: January 16, 2018, 11:42:26 PM »

Dunk smiles sadly. "Forgive him?  There's nothing to forgive. If anything, I respect him even more.  And I have to say, I thought you were about to go too, but I can see you're torn between your new clan and your old. That's why I wanted to stay up with you; to make sure someone saw you off if you changed your mind.

The moment I saw the look on his face, I knew what he was intending.  I've seen that look on countless dwarves sent on a mission of vital importance they know they wouldn't survive.  I've seen it on myself before, too, but somehow I'm still around.  No, that's the look of overwhelming duty.  Of knowing you're a small pebble in a large landslide, and though you will get crushed to dust in the process, you are needed to make everything go.

That's how I feel now.  There is no 'after' for me.  I'll die on this quest, probably right here on these plains, and my bones will be picked by scavengers and bleached in the sun. Or if I'm strong enough, quick enough, and lucky enough, I might make it far enough that the elves find my body and what I carry and the mission is completed.

We're all just kindling. We'll burn out long before we see if the spark grows to a blaze, or is snuffed out dead. But either way we will burn to ash before any end is reached. Some, like Nefario, can see where their fire is needed. For me, I trust the hands of those who have built fires before to know where to put me and when to set things alight.

But if I do somehow come out of this alive? I move on to my next task. I have a list of debts and duties that seem to build by the day. And right on top is finding the ones who made those stone creatures that destroyed Durgis Rock, and stopping them. 

And what about you?  Where will you go at the end, should you light the flame and survive?"

Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #532 on: Yesterday at 04:09:09 AM »

"My initial plan had been to help get Siobhan and Amethyst to the Kaladrun mountains. But that's when I met the rest of the group who were traveling with the elves Rhiann, Aerinn, and Bayal. I traveled with the three of them directly for a brief time, that was just before we met you and went to Durgis Rock. They confirmed for me the stories I'd been told of my lineage and offered me a chance to travel back with them to Erethor Forest."
Ivy gave a resigned sigh after that and let the silence hang in the air for a few long moments.

"I thought about leaving with Nefario. He always needed someone with a cooler head than his around. But lately it felt like my words couldn't reach him anymore. No, this was his choice to leave, not mine. I've decided to stay and help on this quest.

I'd always known I was different than the others in my tribe and Constance told me that my mother had once traveled to the southern Elven jungle-forest of Erethor. It seems Halflings are all welcomed there as friends and allies... and it's also where my mother met my father. An Elf named Talistan. Supposedly she returned to her tribe because she wanted me raised among her people rather than the elves. I suppose I've always wanted to meet him. If he's still alive, I want to find him. After that... Return home? Stay with him if I'm allowed?"
She glanced around the other members of the sleeping group. To Dunkin's sharp eyes he thought her gaze might have lingered on Eirik longer than the rest. "I don't know."

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:28:15 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Pheros

« Reply #533 on: Yesterday at 02:50:53 PM »

Dunk simply nodded silently, and patted her on the shoulder.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 3
Jump to: