Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2017, 07:28:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Avoid offending or attacking other users, be polite and well mannered and only good will come from it.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 3  (Read 76179 times)
Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« Reply #475 on: August 13, 2017, 06:42:15 AM »

Before too long, Eirik had gotten a pile of fire wood gathered and set up a small rack for drying clothes over the fire.

"Once I have the fire going I'll stay up for a while and make sure that all of our blankets and clothing will get dry. Siobhan, would you mind helping to start the fire. A lot of it's still fresh and it will smoke for a while before I could get it to burn very well."
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +5/-0

« Reply #476 on: August 13, 2017, 10:38:26 AM »

After spending a few more moments relishing the sky and open air, Amethyst moved to Fedwyn's side, venturing an encouraging smile.

"What do you make of the surface world, thus far?", she asked quietly.  "I'm glad you have the chance to see it.  To see Mother Moon, in particular.  Getting this far makes you much more widely-travelled than most people I've ever met.  But there's always more to see, and to learn, and to wonder at."

"I'd like to hear more of the tales of the Sorshef," Amethyst informed her Sarcosan companions when she rejoined them - the scholar and storyteller offering them a weary grin and a slightly sheepish shrug, while appreciatively offering her thanks to Eirik for his wood-gathering efforts.  "But sleep might be a higher priority just at the moment.  Still... if the fire's going to smoke a lot, could we see about doing something to alleviate that, or at least break up the column it might create?  However small the odds of enemies being out there are now, we might as well get in some practice in hiding our presence....  Perhaps also some practice in water-proofing our kit could be wise, too, Wendle, if you're willing to teach us.  But that, at least, can wait till we're more awake."

Her intention was to scatter and break up the column before it could rise far - either by siting the fire under an overhang or tangle of rocks (which could then also reflect heat back into the camp), or by finding longer branches (with foliage) that could form a loose roof above the warmth.  Neither idea was likely to be fully successful, but she hoped that a diffuse haze of smoke would be both harder to spot and more difficult to place in the landscape than a clearer column.  And clothes hung up to dry could help to provide a screen against the light of the fire, fractionally reducing that risk as well.

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #477 on: August 13, 2017, 11:34:06 AM »

Dunk looked out on the scene before him, then turned back to look at the tunnels.  He could almost hear the tunnels being collapsed deep below them, hear the battle beginning, hear the orcs and dwarves dying. He longed to be there, shoulder-to-shoulder with his kin, fighting the Shadow, even to death.

He tuned back to the group he led through the tunnels, the ones he was sworn to get back to their homes and their lands.  And he felt the weight of the scroll case in his pack, its end poking through the canvas into the small of his back.

He went and sat among the dwarves on watch as the rest of his companions began to go to sleep, wondering when he would next see a member of his race.  There were no dwarves in the Shadowlands, he was told.  They had been gathered and killed.  " 'Duty is a heavy burden, but one each dwarf must bear' " he said to no one in particular, quoting the old teachings.  "Thank you for helping my friends and me. I know you would all be down below. We never would have made it this far without you, and we're truly grateful."

Dunkin stats
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #478 on: August 15, 2017, 07:04:43 AM »

Fedwyn looked over at Amethyst. Her feet nervously twitching on the ground. It was easy to tell that she was very uncomfortable with being on the surface. "It's... different than I had imagined. Not as cold as I thought it would be. I'd thought about running away and trying to make it to the surface on my own occasionally but I was sure I'd get lost and the armies of the shadow would want to hunt me too. I was too scared to do it on my own.

Thank you for bringing me with you. Amethyst. It really means everything to me."
She gave the Erenlander a big, shy toothy grin and then went back to watching the moon.

Timeon was nodding with a pleased expression when Amethyst showed her enthusiasm. "Ah, of course. But I feel that we will have to continue this conversation another night. I am myself feeling quite drained this evening." He glanced up at at the sky with a narrowed gaze before his eyes opened more widely. "Ah, but perhaps a small lesson is in order. For you see, despite the cloudy night, the Sorshef watches." He pointed out a section of the clear night air where 5 particularly bright stars danced closely together. " The Sorshef are known to us as our Gods of the Riding Host. Although many will now tell you rather, that they are our heroes of times long past within the cities. The hand of Dal Hali watches us tonight. Hmm, it appears as though it is readily clenching into a fist." He rubbed his chin thoughtfully. " The riding host do not move swiftly, but they can change with time and thus their meanings can as well. When I was a young boy some 15 years ago, the hand of Dal Hali was more open as if to halt for rest. There are two interpretations that could be made when the time comes and the fist closes. It will either mean for us to halt what we are doing or it will be as a declaration of true defiance from the heavens. When that time occurs, we will see the true heart of the Sarcosan people." He inhaled deeply and stared to the heavens with a prideful gaze, but Amethyst thought she could also detect just the slightest hint of worry at the corner of his eyes.

"But that is still some time away. For the moment, Dal Hali, signifies a time to regain ones strength without worry. This is a good omen for us tonight." he blinked and laughed. "Sorry, I seemed to have slipped into my native tongue for a moment. Although I suppose you understand that as well. You really are well traveled. It's rare to see someone else who might well rival me in the number of languages they know." He nodded to himself. "Yes I believe that will be the lesson for tonight. I shall tell you more depending on the coming nights we have."

When she asked Wendle to teach about waterproofing their gear better, he waved her off and turned over in his bedroll. "Needs special materials we don't have or can find. When we get to the river I can help you then."

Eirik looked at questioningly as she did her do her best to gather a pile of rocks and large branches. Amethyst's ideas to help disperse the smoke were both obvious in her mind as to how she wanted them to work. But she quickly found that the branches were not long enough and not sturdy enough to lean over the fire. There were too few rocks that sat well enough together to do more than make a small pile. More than once she dropped a rock on the ground and it bounced loudly clacking into another and causing a few of the people trying to sleep to wake with a start or groan with displeasure. She was breathing hard from her exertions but was determined to see this project come to fruition.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:29:54 PM by Luiniel Blades » Logged

Currently reading: The Phantom Tolbooth
Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #479 on: August 15, 2017, 07:11:25 AM »

Eirik watched her work at it for about 20 minutes and then he stood up and came over to her. "No. No, look, just stop. What you're trying to do is far too much work for one person or even two of us. If we were willing to spend a full day with all of us doing this we could probably do what you wanted. But at this rate you'll just end up exhausted with a partially began process before collapsing. Face it Amethyst, you're not cut out for manual labor. If we'd wanted to do this right, we should have either taken direct cover in the trees or even in the cave would have been better. I just think that everyone wanted to be outside for a night so I didn't say anything earlier." He then blinked with a look of realization and smacked himself in his face.

"How did I forget about that again?" he asked more to himself than anyone in particular as he turned around to start rummaging through his bags. "That stone we had. The hearthstone. We wouldn't have had to worry about the smoke at all. I mean it's almost pointless to use now, but why don't you take it so that you have it and don't forget about it."

Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #480 on: August 15, 2017, 08:50:24 AM »

Dunkin stood among the Dwarves who were keeping together away from the sleeping group. As he spoke to them in the older tongue all of the Dwarves looked at him with a renewed sense of camaraderie.

Golan nodded. "You are not wrong, Dunkin of Clan Durgis. By saving us you were allowed your respite within our walls. But I feel that it was us who needed you all the more. You reminded us that we are not alone in our fight against the shadow and just between us, in the days since you and your companions arrived my father and the rest of the council at Pardrum's morale had increased dramatically. We all still feel the weight of our duty to defend our home against the Shadow's forces. My companions and I owed you all a great debt for saving our lives but it is something we will happily sacrifice our wants for your needs."

"But when you leave here, we'll be returning to our hold.  We'll fight the Shadow's armies at our doorstep and hold them at bay. Perhaps once the tunnels are collapsed we'll be able to throw the current Orcs back then we can see about opening up other tunnels or use the one's you used to get to us."

« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:50:24 PM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #481 on: August 17, 2017, 02:10:09 PM »

"Let me know if you ever need help, or want something explained.  I might not be able to manage it... but at the least, I can offer you a hug."  Amethyst cracked a grin at Fedwyn, risking (lightly) touching the dworg's upper arm with her fingertips, before leaving her to enjoy her first opportunity to commune with Mother Moon.

------

"Fully fluent and literate in three languages,", Amethyst admitted to Timeon - sounding a little sheepish.  "Also fluent in the Black Tongue, of course, but it was designed to be extremely simple so that's a rather low bar to pass.  I'm just about tolerable in Old Dwarven.  No elven, save for the few words to have made their way into the Gnomes' tongue.  And only the barest rudiments of Courtier, I'm afraid.  Siobhan has been helping me to learn it, but I cannot claim to have got very far as yet."

The Sarcosan earned himself a look of sympathetic concern in response to his visible (if unspoken) worry... but she opted not to press, just yet.  It was not as if she did not have her own fears for Erenland (and everyone else), in spite of her determination to spread optimism.

------

Wendle received murmured thanks, a grateful touch to his shoulder... and then the chance to get to sleep as soon as possible, as Amethyst withdrew from pestering him.  Even beyond her usual inclination to try to help, the kindly little - and oft-wounded - gnome was one of her favourite companions.

------

Eirik's belated recollection earned him a momentary blank look, before Amethyst rolled her eyes, laughed softly (and a little breathlessly), then allowed herself a brief burst of crafting multi-lingual expressions of frustration.  Then she cracked a grin, shaking her head at the Westerner.  "So... between them, the scholar and the seer need this long to remember a hearthstone?  Hah.  Well, we can set it up, and let this lot burn out.  Enjoy some real flames for a short time, then have the stone to provide us with a less overt source of heat.  Thank you.  Much better to remember this now than later.  And this might even serve as a lesson for me to try to apply a little more wisdom and a touch less will to solving problems.  Or maybe just that I should give up and get to sleep now."
Pheros

« Reply #482 on: August 17, 2017, 02:55:29 PM »

Dunk nods and smiles at Golan's words.

"Not alone, no.  That is indeed something good to remember."

He stares out at the plain before them lit by Mother Moon, then back to the fire slowly dying at their feet.

"This light may go out, but it was only borrowed from Mother Moon and Father Sun anyway.  The Shadow cannot touch them, and so the light will never truly be extinguished."
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #483 on: September 04, 2017, 08:50:44 AM »

The rest of the night passed uneventfully as the various conversations died down and the group was allowed to rest quietly under the stars and, more importantly, under the watchful gazes of their Dwarven traveling companions. Finally morning came and the group was treated to a strong sunrise. The brightness was uncomfortable for the first few minutes for most of those present. But several of the others, Golan, Badel, and Karsten it was the better part of an hour before they seemed to get used to it. Fedwyn however seemed to have taken in the worst of it. The direct light of the sun seemed to bother her far more than the others giving her a headache that she seem to shake.

After a quick breakfast, Calia took the burnt up pile of branches and had them brought into the hidden cave entrance to ensure they wouldn't be easily discovered. Within the hour, she had led efforts to conceal any tracks from the cave entrance and made sure to minimize signs they had been in the area at all. Not long after that, it was time for the groups to part ways.

Golan stood facing them all, his eyes squinting ever so slightly against the suns brightness.

"Well not to repeat myself too much here, but thanks to all of you again for your help."

Karsten nodded stoically. "Aye, perhaps we'll see each other again."

Calia crossed her arms. "Stay safe on your travels."

Badel nodded and loudly stated "Good. Luck."

Mandag shrugged. "Just good to be out of those tunnels where I can see again."

"Of course master Golan. Let it be in good health you all travel. Perhaps next time we see you you'll be commanding your own legion, or maybe even holding a seat on your council." Timeon said with good cheer.

Golan did not apparently share the Sarcosan man's good humor as his face became serious. "If that were to happen it would mean the death of my father and likely several other members of the council."

Holding up a hand in defense, Timeon smoothed things over. "No offense was meant by that, Golan. Only a jest. But a poor one I see now."

The awkward silence hung in the air for a moment before Wendle flung a pack over his shoulder. "Well, fine as goodbye's are, it's best we start moving on toward our destination and you back to your home. I can't imagine any Dwarf that wouldn't want to be fighting alongside their family. Especially not when together the four of you might make a difference to your clan just from what you've seen alone."

At Wendel's words, the Dwarves looked curiously at him.

"Calia, was always going to come with us. Her missing from her clan for a few days and coming back wasn't likely to change much on her own. She's done it before now and from what I've seen, you aren't really much of a talker. But now the rest of you three have come to see the surface world and can come back with your own experiences to add as well." He let a begrudging smile hit his lips. "Good to see a few of you keep the older traditions alive."

He then faced out and away from the mountain side. "Alright, the rest of you say whatever goodbye's you need to, then catch up to use slower folks. We've got weeks of travel ahead of us!"
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #484 on: September 10, 2017, 09:03:54 AM »

The final goodbyes were given to the Dwarves and then the two groups split themselves away from each other. As those who had stayed behind to see their allies off hurried to catch up, a wondrous sight was before them. All out in front of them blowing gently in the breeze and seeming to absorb the golden light of the suns rays, rolling hills and the last remnants of rocky terrain turned to the tall golden grass of the summer plains of Erenland. The tips of the high grass brushed past them, gently waving along their bodies in a beckoning fashion. So thick were the grasses that one could easily lay down in them and almost be cushioned from that alone, a welcome change from the harsh and cramped tunnels they had traveled through for so long.

A few times along the way of the first day it became difficult to see Wendle, Kjellan, or Nefario. Their only sign of presence was the unnatural lowering of bushes pushing down some distance away. Ivy was just tall enough to never quite be overtaken by the grass and she seemed to move more easily through it than even the taller members of the group did.

The first night after traveling they came across a small rise with just a handful of trees and decided to call for rest. The wind was light and the summer winds were just warm enough that no fire was necessary. Wendle called everyone's attention before they fell asleep. "Alright you lot, this is going to take us all a bit longer than I wanted it to. But unfortunately we don't have wagons and we don't have horses. I know of a few towns along the way but unfortunately without either of those things, we couldn't even begin to pass ourselves as traders. We would be marked immediately by the garrisons and patrols along the main roads so we're going cross country. It's going to take us about 35 days or there about to reach our destination of Redwind. That's going to be along the river. If we press hard and aren't slowed down by anything along the way we might be able to shave a few days off. Once there we'll be close enough to the river I should be able to pull a few favors and get us passage on a raft heading north. From there we travel to Swift Water. If we decide to just head straight to Swift Water by foot it'll probably take us closer to 42 days. It'll be a lot faster and safer to take the river though. So unless any of you have any bright ideas, get yourselves to bed and we'll set off early tomorrow."

Dried rations were passed around, a watch was set and the group fell into a light sleep.

That night, Dunkin had a dream and found himself in a strange place of all blackness but he was also illuminated.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 01:04:03 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Pheros

« Reply #485 on: September 10, 2017, 08:04:17 PM »

Dunk was the last to leave the Dwarves, with firm handshakes and nods, but no more words needed.  As he crested the ridge and saw the clearing, he stopped for a moment to stare in wonder at the sea of grass in front of him.  He had never seen such open lands before and was stunned for a moment by the sight of it.

His dream startled him, somehow a light shined only on him in darkness.  He immediately crouched down and scanned around, using all his senses.  He felt the ground with one hand, listened for movement, even searched for smells he knew. His other hand slowly moved toward his urutuk.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #486 on: September 11, 2017, 05:19:08 AM »

Even as he crouched and looked carefully about, his senses twinged and he felt a presence off to his right. Another figure seemed to appear within the shadowy illumination. A singular beam of light coming down from somewhere out of sight revealed it to be a tall elf woman. For a moment, it reminded him of Rhiann, the leader of the elven couriers he had been sent to meet and help lead to Durgis Rock, but no, she was very different from the soft spoken Elf he had met. Her presence seemed to dominate the otherwise empty space, pulling all focus to her. Her most notable feature however, was her completely black eyes.

She held his gaze for several long seconds that felt more like minutes, her eyes seeming to envelope him completely and then she finally spoke.

"Greetings, Dunkin of Clan Durgis." her voice was hauntingly beautiful and her accent was perfect. "I am pleased to see that you have made it even this far into your journey, but know that these are but the first steps you have taken and time is always moving forward. You and the rest of your group carry with you something that has the capability to change the very outcome of the war that we all face." she paused and stared at him. He felt as though her presence pulled back, allowing him to feel unrestrained.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 05:24:28 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #487 on: September 12, 2017, 08:26:59 AM »

In the waking world, Siobhan and Amethyst were changing shifts in the waning hours of the night. Amethyst was getting ready to lay down and Siobhan would be on watch until the sun came up.

As the two spoke quietly to one another both noticed that while most of the rest of the group was sleeping soundly, Eirik began tossing and turning. He was sweating and his breathing was rapid.
Pheros

« Reply #488 on: September 12, 2017, 09:26:08 AM »

Dunk slowly rises from his crouch, and looks at her intently.  "You're...her, aren't you? The Elf Queen?  I am honored. 

I was told it was important, and was sworn to take it to you, and so I will.  I know better than to ask what it is, but anything you know that will help us travel faster or safer would be a boon.  I don't know this land or the people in it, and can't guide them now."
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #489 on: September 13, 2017, 02:04:30 AM »

She stared off to the side as if gazing at something distant before turning to face him again.

"You have done well to have led your group thus far. The central facing of Aryth has changed much since I last knew of it. The nations and territories of the human lands are different from my people or yours, in particular they were in near constant flux, well before the forces of the Shadow swept south and occupied them. Those same forces work very hard to ensure my gaze has been pulled closer to the borders of Erethor and I am now only peripherally aware of what happens outside. Those lands are in many ways far more dangerous than they have ever been. You will have to rely upon the knowledge and expertise of those who dwell there to guide you along.

Still, I am not without my reach. The armies and supply trains of the usurper King Jahzir march along the kings roads. Many of the larger settlements are patrolled by the forces of the Traitor Princes of the south. Even good people are scared and mistrustful of Fey, not every friendly face is on your side. The shadow has made an effort to stamp out learning and literacy, it makes rumor and superstition more prevalent. Make your way to the city of Bluffs and Spires along the shores of the Pellurian Sea. You will find aid awaiting you there."

She paused, the shadows around her face grew darker. "Beware Dunkin of Clan Durgis, a wolf hunts you now. Do not delay long or he may well find you."
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #490 on: September 13, 2017, 07:13:57 AM »

Amethyst was, as might have been predicted, both sad to see the dwarves (and all their potential stories and knowledge of history) depart, and glad to be turning back towards her own homeland once again.  She, too, very much hoped to see them again, and dared (ignorantly or perhaps just optimistically) to entertain the hope that their clanhold might indeed beat back the forces of Shadow.

Fedwyn's evident difficulties with the light were a point of on-going concern, and the young dworg was soon offered the indefinite use of Amethyst's own broad-brimmed travel-hat: probably not a perfect fit, but most likely the best available source of shelter for sensitive eyes.

Now, however, she narrows her own eyes, touching Siobhan's arm and nodding towards the disturbed sleeper as she peers dubiously towards Eirik... while calling upon her ability to discern the presence of evil.  Not that she doubts the man himself, but in Eredane a night-terror might perhaps take all too literal a form.
Pheros

« Reply #491 on: September 14, 2017, 12:56:04 AM »

Dunk nods seriously as she tells him about the challenges ahead.  "Know that I will do everything in my power to see this quest through.  Thank you for the information. I appreciate it all. This aid in the Bluffs, what sign should we look for to know it is true?
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #492 on: September 14, 2017, 02:43:56 AM »

Enjoying one of the quiet moments with Amethyst that always put her at ease, Siobhan turns to look where she nods, brows furrowing at the sight of Eirik in clear distress. Turning back to Amethyst, she stalls her question as she sees a familiar look in her companion's eyes. She was soul reading. Standing silently, she rests a hand on Amethyst's shoulder as she peers beyond the veil, a ripple of heat emanating from the firebrand's free hand, ready to draw The Ashblade into being should danger manifest.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #493 on: September 17, 2017, 06:34:53 AM »

To Amethyst's gaze, Eirik did not seem possessed by any evil spirits or true intentions of his own, but something momentarily adjacent to him did flicker into existence around his eyes. It was there for nearly two full seconds then was gone.

Siobhan was able to tell by the shift in her friends sudden stiffness that she'd seen something.

Eirik's eyes snapped open.
Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #494 on: September 17, 2017, 07:14:38 AM »

He shook his head and rubbed at his eyes which were still flashing with the images he'd seen.

Surprise at the news the spoiled son of the Council had survived.
Mocking contempt at the new arrivals who'd nearly died just barely getting in, thinking they'd die in their cells.
Shock that they'd been released and what's more, allowed to roam around the city.
Jealousy of their attention and needless adoration just for being outsiders.
Seething resentment as they had made so many plans painstakingly set throughout decades undone, simply by giving out a little information.
Blinding rage and smashing many fine pieces of furniture and artwork wrecking the room, until seeing the nearly forgotten relic of a bygone era an old symbol of Izrador made of silver.
Serenity after grasping it. A realization that no one knew the level of personal power they possessed. Time to once again don a mask of good humor and weakness. Time to improvise a new solution.

His shoulders slumped down as he sat up and looked at Siobhan and Amethyst his face pale from experiencing such powerful emotions. "We missed something at Pardrum Holdfast. Someone was planning something but we interfered after we arrived."

He looked down at the ground and began tracing the ground. "The visions were so vivid, I could tell what they were thinking... what they were feeling. Ha, it almost feels more real than right now. I can't shake the feeling that we met them." He paused staring intently down at the ground but after a few moments he gritted his teeth and slammed the ground with his fist. "But I didn't get anything to show me who they might have been! Why now?! We were there for days! My visions show me things that are going to happen if I'm in danger and sometimes things that are happening at the same time somewhere else.

Sometimes I see things from other peoples perspective but this was in the past!"
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:21:06 AM by Fates Chagrin » Logged
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #495 on: September 19, 2017, 02:32:58 AM »

Several members of the group turned uncomfortably at Eirik's rising volume. Mandag seemed to snap awake and sat up looking over at the younger man from across the way with a questioning glance towards the two women.

Ivy rolled over to look at Eirik with concern. "What's going on, Eirik?"

Dorin, Nefario, and Dunkin slept soundly through it. Timeon moved but seemed to roll to the other side and ignored it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:38:12 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #496 on: September 19, 2017, 05:11:27 PM »

"My agents will find you and your companions, should you make it there. The Bluff is a city of Humans and its Shadow occupiers. Fey are prosecuted with death or slavery there. There should be no other Elf present. You will know him by his gaze." The Elf Queen looked at him with a knowing nod, her eyes boring into his.

"Rest now, Dunkin of Clan Durgis. I wish you speed on your journey."

With a final fading of light, she was gone and Dunkin found himself alone in the dream world which faded to darkness. Then he awoke.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 05:13:47 PM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #497 on: September 20, 2017, 12:12:28 AM »

"He's having visions apparently." Siobhan says quietly. Her hand relaxing and the heat she was drawing dissipating in the absence of a direct threat.
Pheros

« Reply #498 on: September 20, 2017, 01:28:30 AM »

Dunk gasped as he woke.  The dream was so real.  He briefly wondered if it was true, but as he recalled the dream he knew it to be.  The vision did not fade like dreams do, but remained clear in his memory.  The Elf Queen was truly powerful.

It took a few moments to clear his head of this revelry for Dunk to realize he was not the only one awake, and that there was some commotion among the others.  He sat up and listened, trying to catch up to the events going on around him.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #499 on: September 20, 2017, 04:20:15 AM »

Kjellan sat up, the Dwarrow was tired looking but also showed worry. "Eirik, I believe your visions are true. I remember the day we all escaped from Durgis Rock. You said something about a strong demon awakening then... I wasn't sure at first but now I know. So what do we do now? Do we go back and try to help them?" as he spoke he put a hand down on the handle of the mithral axe he had.

Without opening his eyes from his sleeping bag, Wendle turned in his cot. "No. Go back to sleep, we've got a long day ahead of us tomorrow." he said in a gruff reply.

"What?! But da-"

"I said no!" he cracked open one eye to glare at his son. "Look we've already traveled a full day and so have they. Turning back now means we'll be two days behind them and they know those tunnels better than all of us combined. Do you remember every twist and turn we took since leaving Pardrum, because I can't. I know you want to help, Kjellan, I do. But going back there would just undo everything we just accomplished. Even if we did, it's not like Eirik knows who this traitor is now, is it?"

Mandag laid back down during this. Eirik looked like he was thinking of something to say but Wendle cut him off.
"Look kid, I know you're special. I don't get many jobs where the only thing I'm told to do is to get one person out of the city. But listen, all of you might have met clan dwarves, but you don't know clan dwarves. They are prepared for a siege and we gave them a warning well ahead of time of what the Shadows armies were about to do. I know a thing or two about subterfuge, they won't be acting anytime soon. Pardrum's defenders'll be ready and they can outlast one traitor in their midst. No matter how careful. So don't go beating yourself up over something you have no control over."
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 3
Jump to: