Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 20, 2017, 10:28:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Due to heavy spamming guests cannot post without inserting an image verification, if you are seeing one, you are not logged in.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 3  (Read 64541 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,439



WWW
« Reply #450 on: June 06, 2017, 01:14:52 AM »

As Madrith spoke, Dunkin turned to look at Fedwyn, then back at Madrith.

"She was speaking with those two.  Might prove to be an aid to us.

As for Dorin, Nefario, and the others, they must still be in our quarters.  I'll get them.

Don't start without me."
He says with a slight smile.
Logged

1.6180339887...
Dunkin stats
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,321


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #451 on: June 08, 2017, 02:48:59 AM »

Madrith raised a disbelieving eyebrow at Dunkin, then with a sigh she took a step back and grudgingly gestured for the Dworg to enter.

"Hurry back all the same, Mistress Dola isn't a terribly patient old hag." she called out to him.

Before too long Dunkin had crossed the hold back to their lodgings. A handful of Dwarven residents nodded to him as he passed but everyone seemed to be busy with their own tasks. Upon entering the room he saw that thankfully both Dorin and Nefario were there and even Mandag was currently in the room.

The Erenlander was quietly practicing his moves in the corner and stopped to look at him.

Nefario turned to look at him, and sitting up in his bed, Dorin cracked his knuckles. "Dunkin, what's wrong?"
Logged

Currently reading: The Phantom Tolbooth
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,439



WWW
« Reply #452 on: June 08, 2017, 10:29:27 AM »

Dunk quickly relayed what he learned at the council, then said "Mistress Dola needs to see us now. Gather your things and hurry.
Logged
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,321


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #453 on: June 09, 2017, 04:30:28 AM »

Dorin and Mandag immediately gathered their belongings and got up. Nefario, however, didn't move.

"I'm not going. Just leave without me."

Mandag stopped and raised an eyebrow at the Halfling but shrugged his shoulders and made his way to the door.

Dorin let his bag drop to the ground with a heavy thud. "You're coming."

Nefario sat up at Dorin's advance and rolled to one side. "I said I wasn't coming, Dorin!"

"Why not?!"

Nefario's breathing changed, becoming faster and more furious. "You wouldn't believe me. "

"Try me."

Mandag narrowed his gaze now. "Yes. Why is that?"

"Because of Amethyst!" he blurted out. His eyes were wide with anger, red tints of color showing in his eyes. "She's a threat! She's dangerous! She seems harmless enough on the surface but every time I was in a room with her my instincts were telling me to kill her! I was able to ignore it before but ever since we got here it's been getting stronger and now I know it's true!"

Dorin narrowed his gaze. "Amethyst, huh? "

Mandag uncrossed his arms and stepped forward. "What do you plan to do then, since you can't seem to ignore these instincts of yours?"

Nefario just shook his head. "You see, that's what I mean. You're so protective of her you can't see how dangerous she really is."
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 04:43:48 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,321


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #454 on: June 12, 2017, 04:50:23 PM »

Dorin looked at the Halfling with something resembling bewilderment.
"Amethyst? She won't harm you."

Mandag nodded in agreement. "After watching her fight, I'm not sure she's much good at harming anyone even when she's trying. You though, you know how to hurt people Nef, and now you've told us you want to hurt her. If anyone should be wary, it's her."

Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,439



WWW
« Reply #455 on: June 12, 2017, 06:49:27 PM »

Dunk shakes his head at the exchange.

"The Loremaster has summoned us. This is not optional.

If you need to leave, once we get out of these tunnels you're free to go anytime.  You can stay now, I suppose, but you'll be trapped. Your choice. But the Loremaster summoned all of us, and that's who will be there. Don't disrespect our hosts, please. For me and Kjellan.
Logged
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,321


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #456 on: June 13, 2017, 12:55:08 PM »

Nefario looked at Dunkin and blinked. "For you and Kjellan." He took a deep breath. "Fine. Let's go. I don't feel like getting trapped underground anyway." He grabbed his bag and then pointedly walked out of the room.

Dorin and Mandag shook their heads but turned to follow.



The group swiftly made their way back across the hold-fast towards Dola's house. Upon arriving Madrith let them in. She gave Dunkin a questioning look but once the others had entered she gestured for him to follow.

Inside she led the others to a private room in the back where everyone else had already gathered into a half circle around a small stone table. Dola sat at the head of the table, a small pile of unremarkable stones in lay in front of her as well as a small silver, although Dunkin recognized it as Mithral, hammer.

She said nothing as they entered in and waited until they had all circled around the table. Nefario made to sit opposite of Amethyst. Once they were gathered Dola began to speak in a somewhat monotone voice. "I understand that your path is a dangerous one. I ask you in the necessity and hope of the parts you may well play in coming events, set aside whatever differences you have and work with one another. You may well meet others who will aid you in your path, and many who will want nothing to do with you... but many more who would see you undone.

Those fallen allies lay behind you. But the future is unwritten. Beware for enemies are close at hand. The burden you bear weighs more heavily on some but note that while it may not serve as much comfort, your current task is an important one and well worth the risks. "
She pauses for a moment and gestures to the pile of stones in front of her.

"Each one of you, choose the stone that seems to be calling to you. Then you will take the hammer and hit the stone. Do not touch it afterwards." As everyone chooses their stone, she then indicates for them to start using the hammer but continues speaking.

Crack.

"Most Dwarfkin believe that Prophecy is dangerous." Crack. "They say that it leads those who believe it too readily on fools errands." Crack. "I believe, however, that it is a tool." Crack. "And that like any tool, it can be used to create or destroy." Crack.
As everyone hit the rocks in front of them with the hammer, the rocks fell apart, in completely even parts. As it came to Dorin the massive Dorn struck it with notable force but even so, it only broke apart one time like all the others.
"I offer you my small soothsaying to use as you see fit." Crack. "Listen with your ears but understand with your hearts." Crack. "Champion each other." Crack. As she spoke she paused to look around at everyone gathered. "Rely on your friendships before you rely solely on your weapons and personal strength." Crack. "Trust of those who have yet to prove themselves is a rare thing but may well call to the hearts of sleeping heroes." It came to Fedwyn's turn in the circle. She seemed nervous about participating but like the others she raised the hammer and hit it as well.

Crack.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,439



WWW
« Reply #457 on: June 13, 2017, 10:44:00 PM »

Dunk looked around the circle as each took their turn.  He was solemn when the hammer passed to him.  He had been taught from birth that Loremasters held deep and profound knowledge, but rarely gifted it to outsiders.  He hoped the others realized the significance of what was happening.

He passed the hammer after striking his blow, watching the stone pieces closely, but not touching them.
Logged
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,321


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #458 on: June 16, 2017, 03:57:00 PM »

Dola waited patiently until all of the pieces had been smashed. She then reached over to the closest stone fragments and collected them. Her eyes widened and here voice became hallow.

Amethyst: "Silver tongued, learned one. You shine brightly, like a candle upon a hill among the darkness. Spread the insight of your knowledge and you may yet lead the way for revolution of your people. You fear your hunters but you fight for freedom. Do not lose heart, but know that the magic within yours may betray your companions to the Darkness."

Siobhan: "Child of smoke and flames. The path before you is a difficult one. A stolen crown, a shepherd's crook, and the rising sun. Let these symbols guide you. The secrets of the past may yet unveil the darkness surrounding you and guide you toward the new dawn."

Ivy "Wild soul, little one. The grasslands call to you and many times will you be tempted to return home. Know that the current path you take is well worth the effort to not stray from."

Kjellan "River blooded.... the fate of your family has come to pass and now the Eren river flows with tears. The line of kings weighs heavily upon you but you must not falter. The ends are indeed justification for the means."

Eirik "Dark, darker, yet darker, the further along this path you travel, the louder the siren song will call. I know your teacher. Trust what he taught you and trust your friends. The only deception they will offer you is that in your heart. The path you walk is always toward the future but the past can be shattered stone."

Dorin "North man, breaker of chains. Beware for you are hunted by the grey seekers. Be swift of foot and perhaps you shall avoid a dark fate."
Logged
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,321


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #459 on: June 18, 2017, 05:45:11 AM »

The soft glow in Dola's eyes begins to fade but she grimaces, grabbing onto the table with one hand, she continues.

Timeon: "Free speaker. Hold true to the teachings of old. Though you are lost and out of place, the time of the princes to rise is near. The southern port calls."

Nefario: "Fiend of the planes. The rage burning in your heart is justified but beware lest your aim be false and that of the hunter strike true. The Angel and the Demon have a common cause.  If they do not destroy each other, they may find they are two sides of the same coin."

Mandag: "Tested one,  the path you walk is shrouded. Know that you may fall from a great height, and yet rise again higher still."

Dunkin: "Stone Soul. Storm heart. The future is ever a branching tunnel. Choose wisely and doom may yet be averted, be weak of heart and all is lost. Fear not to spill your blood for others. The Axe is the key to the heart... Do not lose it."

As she sets the last of the stones down, she looks faint for a moment but grabs onto the table with both hands continues, speaking to the whole group. "Though some of you will not live to see its end, your quest will prevail!" There is a finality in her words and as she finishes speaking the glow in her eyes finally winks out. Dola appears to be drained and sways slightly.

"Dola? Mistress Dola, are you ok-" Eirik began to say but was cut off

"Out of my way!" Madrid said, hurriedly moving around to the far side of the table and grabbing her mentor.

"Agh, ye damned fool of a woman! Yer too old to be mixin' prophecy an' divination all by yerself for so long, like tha'!"

Dola seemed disoriented and was trying to speak but unable to do so over the fussing of her assistant.

"All of ye, get out! Dola needs to lay down."

« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 06:06:17 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,439



WWW
« Reply #460 on: June 21, 2017, 09:30:17 AM »

Dunk stands as Dola falls, but knows enough to heed Madrid without question.

He begins to herd them all out of Dola's house.  As the door shuts behind, he looks at them all.

"Mistress Dola has made a big sacrifice of herself to speak to us those words.  Take them to heart.

We should head to the gate.  The clan will be working quickly on plans to close the tunnels.
Logged
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,321


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #461 on: June 21, 2017, 08:22:48 PM »

Dunkin had been used to following the commands of Lore masters for the better part of his life. When one, even an apprentice one, gave a command it was a hard headed fool who did not listen. Even as he gave his declaration to leave, he realized that Dola had been trying to call for one of them to stay although she'd been too winded and Madrid's fussing too loud for anyone else to have noticed.
Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,439



WWW
« Reply #462 on: June 25, 2017, 12:31:58 PM »

Something nagged Dunk as they were leaving.  He scanned the others, then locked eyes with Fedwyn.

"Mistress Dola didn't tell you her vision for you. I think she was calling you as we left."
Logged
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,321


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #463 on: July 02, 2017, 08:24:22 AM »

Fedwyn still seemed momentarily dumbfounded that Dunkin was giving her any true mind.

She seemed unsure for a moment but then decided to move forward. "If you think I should. Then I'll not let anyone stop me." And with that, the Dworg girl moved back toward Dola's home and entered inside.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 06:56:18 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,321


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #464 on: July 05, 2017, 06:56:25 AM »

The door had been left open. Those who stuck around could hear the sudden sounds of surprise and a quickly rising argument from further within.

"Agh! You! What are you doin' here?! Ye filthy halfblood, get out! Dola's resting."

"I... I won't. NO! I came here with the same right as everyone else. If Dola had wanted me out, she would have had more than enough time to tell-"

"Shut up! You dont know wha yer talking abou', the trance state is far more drainin' than ye'll ever know. She said nothin' to you because she did not sense ye were there. I do, I'm the master of this house now. Leave!"

There was a few choked replies from Fedwyn but then there was the distinct sound of a door sliding open and then a rasping but familiar voice.

"Dola! You're up! Ye can' be! Ye've go' to lay down."

"Shut it, you idiot apprentice! Clearly you... ah hack hack... You haven't learned enough. Magic can.. heh ack... magic can strengthen me when I need it. The two of you stop fighting right now! You, Dworg girl. I've words for you." There was sounds of Madrid storming away in a huff and then a full minute before a heavy thudding hit  the ground with a loud bang. The faint light from Dola's house glowed bright as day with a golden aura momentarily.

"Mmm, yes. You'll have to warn the others about that effect. It's more powerful to you but they should serve you well...  Yes. Give them to the one with the bright eyes."

There was heavy footsteps running back. "Dola, no! Tha' secret's no' mean' for th-"

"No more out of you! EMYEBO! ... Good, now hold stay quiet and wait until we are finished. We're going to have a long talk when I get back. "If I scared you, then you're having the proper reaction, girl. Remember what I told you. Now take these and go!"

A moment later, Fedwyn emerged from the home surrounded by three very powerful glows emanating from her hands. The glow illuminated the figure of Dola who then reached up for her door and rolled it shut with a moment of finality.


Fedwyn hurried over to catch up with Dunkin , looking more than a little shaken and uncomfortable. "Dola said to give these to you and your companions Amethyst and Siobhan. I don't know why exactly."
Logged
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,321


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #465 on: July 09, 2017, 04:08:36 AM »

Handing over the vials to the others, Fedwyn fell in line with the group as they moved their way toward the Dragonmaw fortress.

As they were crossing the way, Dunkin heard a dwarf calling out his name.

"Oy, Dunkin right?" Dunkin recognized him as the smith he'd handed his armor to a few days back. Thramzas. The Dwarf had two big sacks over his shoulder. "Glad I caught you in time. We just got a handful of rush orders from a runner. I don't really know what's going on but I figured you weren't going to wait around for me to be finished with all that." As Dunkin looked at him he noticed a number of things about the smith now that weren't there a number of days ago. He saw the smith had dark circles under his eyes, his arms and hands had new burn marks and fresh red scars, and his cheeks seemed flushed with heat. But he seemed both pleased and determined. He grinned as he handed over the first sack. "A few of the other smiths finished their work for you and your friends, you were honored guests after all." he then handed over the other sack "Had to make sure this got to you personally. Call it inspiration after seeing the true works from Father Sun and Mother Moon up close and finding some of our old metallurgy plates that Mistress Dola hammered up for us near a century or so back."

He waited for Dunkin to open the bag. Inside were freshly reforged steel shield and mail. Thramzus was beaming as he spoke. "Both of these are some of my finest work in some time. The shield and armor were reforged and re-tempered over five thousand times in the hottest magical fires we could produce to become truly resilient to flame. You should be able to move even better with these than you could before and you yourself ought to be protected from flames somewhat too. I'd have liked to have done more for you, but that's all the time I had.

Sorry for the hasty goodbye, but I gotta get back. Good luck on your journey, Dunkin. Father Sun and Mother Moon willing we'll see each other again."
With a clenched fist, the Dwarf turns and starts hustling back to his forge.

Outside Dragonmaw Fortress

As the group reached the edge they could see a number of Dwarves were gathering together. The southern fortress was quickly becoming a staging ground for a great deal of activity. Seemingly watching for them at the edge were four more familiar looking figures. Golan, Carsten, a somewhat reticent looking Calia and a recently recovered Badel. All of them were armed, armored and had either bags or packs of some kind.

Golan stepped forward. "So, you're all ready to go?" he asked in the more common trading tongue, looking around at the group.

"Wait." Badel said, holding up a hand. He painstakingly spoke in rough traders tongue to the group while holding out a bag to them. He then touched his chest. "Zuk, brother... sends thanks, with me. Picks and metal curing for silver lock?" he handed out the small bag toward Siobhan or Amethyst.

And ring, uh, fixed." he glanced at Dunkin and then Dolan.

"Not bad." Golan responded, clapping his friend on the shoulder. Calia rolled her eyes, while Karsten snickered. "From the jewelers quarter." he finished for him.

"Right, now that's out of the way. Are you ready to get yourselves out of these tunnels? The main force here's going to be heading out and creating a big distraction while the rest of us are heading out some side tunnels to get you out."
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 04:11:16 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Pheros
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,439



WWW
« Reply #466 on: July 13, 2017, 10:33:27 AM »

Dunk looks at the smith with a deep respect, and appreciation.  "You have done me a great honor Thramzas. These are the finest pieces I've seen forged in my lifetime. Stay safe friend in the trying times to come.  If anyone can survive the coming battle, it is this clan."  Dunk returned the salute from Thramzas, and watched as he left.

As the group approached the gate, Dunkin gratefully accepted the repaired charm, and looked the group once over.  "I think we're ready to go.  Anything we can do to help the Hold on the way out, let us know.  If there are falls we can trigger to cut off the Shadow's supply lines, just tell me what to look for."

Dunk looks over to Nefario, catching his eye to see if he plans to come with the group, or stay behind.
Logged
Luiniel Blades
Avatar of the Witch Queen
*****

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0
Offline Offline

Gender: Male
Posts: 1,321


"Inch towards daylight"


« Reply #467 on: Today at 07:39:12 AM »

Golan rubbed his chin in a thoughtful manner.
"Well, there's a few if they've circled their forces pretty far to the west..."

Calia crossed her arms and shook her head.
"No." she spoke towards Dunkin but seemed uncomfortable and didn't look him in the eyes. "Look, it's nice you want to help us and hurt the Shadow's forces. But you've already done your part. You've probably done more than you know. We're going to do ours now. My job is to lead you and your friends through these tunnels now. Golan here, and the rest of his squad that you helped save are coming with us to make sure that if there's any fighting to be had along the way, you stay out of it as much as possible. You save your strength for the journey ahead. We're going nowhere near the enemy lines, since I can help it. "

"We're leaving now. Anyone who wants to get out of here alive, follow me and don't wander off." she said to the rest of the group.
Logged
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 3
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines
AtS Dark Mercury design by Nifelhein, based on the Mercury theme by Bloc
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.136 seconds with 79 queries.
TinyPortal © 2005-2011