Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 25, 2017, 05:37:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Only Admins and Global Moderators can post threads on the News forum, but all logged users can reply to them.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 3  (Read 54058 times)
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #425 on: March 12, 2017, 08:51:05 AM »

To Siobhan's more experienced eyes, it was clear the girl was unstable. The fire in her eyes was barely contained and there was no telling what might happen if she was pushed too far.

Currently reading: The Phantom Tolbooth
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #426 on: March 13, 2017, 01:07:04 AM »

"Careful, she's on the verge of snapping. Anything could set her off. Siobhan says calmly in Erenlander while subtly moving into a position to interpose herself between Amethyst and Fedwyn. A ripple of heat shimmers around her right hand, ready to call the Ashblade forth in a flash if needed.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #427 on: March 13, 2017, 01:25:45 AM »

The Dworg girl takes in a sharp breath and seemed perturbed by Siobhan's stance. Her breathing slowed down and she seemed more in control of herself as she stood up a little straighter than she had a moment ago. "See. Your friend doesn't trust me... Why don't you just leave already."
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #428 on: March 13, 2017, 02:31:39 AM »

The Dragonmaw Fortress:

Dunkin, having avoided the talk with the Dworg girl he'd met earlier, he made his way once again back to the Dwarven council chambers.

Row, the guard he'd met from before was still there on duty. He looked more alert than last time and noticed Dunkin almost immediately. "Well, aren't you becoming a familiar sight. I think I can guess what you're here for. Several of the council members have come back as well as the commander." he stroked his chin thoughtfully for a moment.

"Did you learn anything useful about navigating those tunnels from Calia?"
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +5/-0

« Reply #429 on: March 13, 2017, 06:29:37 PM »

"I bother because I don't believe there's malice in you," Amethyst responded - honestly, if perhaps a little carefully so, given her view of the external influence upon the girl.

She smiled gently, spreading her hands.  "I'm Amethyst.  And this is Siobhan.  She's rather protective of me.  But that's different to being hostile towards you.  We've nothing against you... and the offer of something to eat was quite genuine.  I'd be happy to share a meal and have a talk with you, if you were willing.  We've come a long way, and all of this is new to us.  If we can learn, then we would like to.  I'd be happy to trade stories of the outside world, if that would interest you.  Or we might be able to offer something else, perhaps, depending on what you're interested in."

As she spoke Amethyst used the end of her staff to draw patterns in the dust of pulverised rock - working to form the symbol of Hope, here in the depths of the holdfast where it might both be far from the Shadow's minions and where it might perhaps yield some immediate assistance to the spiritually-embattled young dworg.  Magic of a sort, to be sure... but hopefully both more subtle and more potent than any spell she could assemble on the fly to combat Fedwyn's malaise.

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #430 on: March 14, 2017, 06:24:52 AM »

The girl blinked, gritting her teeth. She looked away and started pacing and shaking her head.

"Why? Why are you being so kind to me?" As Amethyst completed the symbol, the familiar sensation of tranquil confidence filled her and everyone else around her. Fedwyn glanced at the symbol scratched into the ground, her gaze seemed drawn to it. For a few moments she was still. Suddenly it was as though most of her strength was drained and the girl slumped to the ground dropping both of her weapons.

"Even my own mother was never so open to me. I was... I was ready to hate the world. I want to, but I can't bring myself to hate you. Why? Who are you? Why are you so... so good?" her voice had dropped to just above a whisper and she fixed Amethyst with a look that seemed honestly confused.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 06:29:30 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #431 on: March 14, 2017, 06:42:13 AM »

Siobhan simply smiled. No matter how many times she saw it, or felt the power of the symbol it was still amazing. Amethyst had a way with people that was simply unlike anything else in the world.
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +5/-0

« Reply #432 on: March 14, 2017, 08:01:52 AM »

"Hate is one of the Shadow's favourite weapons," Amethyst answered, offering a rueful little smile... while looking rather intrigued as well as touched.  Hope deflating someone was new to her... though it did at least suggest that poor Fedwyn's near-frenzy had genuinely been of malign origin.

"And, well."  She shrugged, expression bashfully sheepish, before she cracked another smile.  "I tend to find that most people have good in them, if they're reminded of it.  The Shadow doesn't want anyone to remember anything good... but we can carry it around with us wherever we go.  I've walked through lands ruled by the Shadow, and found good almost everywhere I went - often scared and trying not to be noticed, but there for all that.  Even where the Shadow is desperate to seem to have crushed everything and everyone, there are still people who do what they can against it.  It's just so easy for people to forget.  To be tricked by the Shadow into doing its work: without its trickery, without people giving in, it would be so much weaker.  It's not just a bully - it's a two-faced liar, too.

You see, it loves to persuade people that hate is the way to beat it - when hatred so often just serves to help it.  The more it can fill people's hearts with spite and bile, the easier its task is.  The more people fall into the darker side of themselves, the stronger it gets.  What it's desperate to hide from people is that we have the power to decide whether or not we let its lies guide us.  We can stand in the middle of people who have let it sway them... and still rule our own hearts, and try to offer a little of the light of hope to others.

I'm barely any taller than you.  I'm physically a lot weaker, for sure.  It wants everyone to think that the only way to oppose it is with bitterness and violence - the more violence and the more death the better.  But kindness and hope are the greatest weapon and the strongest armour I have against the vast majority of the Shadow's attacks.  Yes, it has its armies and its servants, and we need brave souls to stand between its killers and everyone and everything that should be protected... but it wins its recruits and weakens its enemies with lies and deceit.  And there are things - like Hope, and Truth - that it is desperate for us to lose sight of.  Because as long as we hold to those, it can't claim us for itself.

So... why am I 'so good'?  Because I have faith that you're as deserving of a stranger's respect as I am, or even my lovely companion here."
  She flashed a smile to Siobhan, aware that her poor friend was unlikely to catch more than one word in twenty of this.  "I know that the Shadow wants you, just like it wants me, and wants Siobhan here - and I also know that it wants to trick you into thinking that you have no other choice but to give yourself to it.  But you're no mere puppet.  Your heart is your own - and that's what scares it.  A free heart: that's the opposite of everything it stands for, and all that it's trying to do.  You can already feel that your heart is free, I think.  Can't you?  That there's hope, even amidst the shadows of the world as it now is?

After all, if even a weakling teller of tales like me can learn to light a torch against the evil from the North, then Hope really can't be dead.  And if it's not dead, if it's alive and vibrant and real and the enemy of the Shadow and all its works, then you can carry it in your heart.  We all can.  Every single heart can be a holdfast against the Shadow."
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #433 on: March 15, 2017, 05:55:41 AM »

The girl simply stared at Amethyst for a few moments. The words she said seemed to have had a rather profound effect on the girl. As the pair watched, it was like a weight was being lifted off of her shoulders and she stood up straighter. She glanced uncomfortably at Siobhan a moment and then gave a look back to Amethyst. There was no longer any sign of the anger she had displayed upon their first meeting just a few minutes ago.

She began slowly. "If what you just said about the Shadow is true then I want to help you. You say you've traveled the world. I've never even set foot outside of the Holdfast. You say that your stories you tell helped people. I've never had any friends and ever since my mother died... I've been all alone it feels like. I'd heard stories of the Kurgan Dwarves and when I met one I thought maybe things would be different but he was just like so many others. I didn't know what to make of the rest of you. I thought you'd be more like him, uncaring. Especially to someone like me. But no, here you are. Talking to me like what race I am doesn't matter. Telling me that I can make a difference just by believing." She paused a small smile appearing on her face.

"My name is Fedwyn. Tell me about your world and I'll tell you about mine."
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #434 on: March 16, 2017, 12:21:43 AM »

Dunkin shrugs at Row's question. "I learned some things, though not what I had hoped.

I met an older dwarf, member of the council, in the tunnels below. He was helping prepare the arena. I was wondering if I could have a word with him about tomorrow's event.

Dunkin stats
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #435 on: March 16, 2017, 12:28:27 AM »

Siobhan returned Amethyst's smile with one of her own. Though she couldn’t really understand the exchange between her and the girl, she could see the effect it was having. Once again she marveled as the impact of her friend’s words. For all of her education and training, her newly found affinity for fire, nothing she could do came anywhere near the sheer magnitude of Amethyst’s impact on the world around her. With just words, and a presence unlike anything she’d ever experienced, she turned enemies into allies, lifted spirits in times of despair and simply seemed able to redirect the course of events.

The young firebrand shook her head in amazement as the girl…. it sounded like her name was… Fedwyn based on the eye contact and tone when she spoke it…like someone offering something important to them. …..when Fedwin smiled, all sign of hostility gone, though she was still wary of Siobhan herself. Which meant she was also smart and more than a little perceptive. Anything that even took a step towards Amethyst would have to go through her first.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #436 on: March 16, 2017, 12:51:05 AM »

Dragonmaw Fortress

Row nodded at Dunkin's words. "You're in luck. That likely would have been Councilor Hugen, he'd gotten back not even an hour past. Commander Oldor of the Iron legion is back as well. You're free to see them as far as I know, though it did not look like Oldor was in a good mood, so be careful."
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 3
Jump to: