Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 28, 2020, 01:55:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Check the links box on the front page, there you will find all Midnight sites we are aware of.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 3  (Read 186567 times)
Aiso
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2014, 04:24:31 PM »

Nefario sat down and leaned up against the wall. He looked on silently as Eirik healed his companions. He  was fine; just a scratch. It seemed that anytime something slightly good happened something bad would happen immediately after. Or a few bad things. 

He looked onto Ivy as she slept. She was really the only family he had left. Except his Mom, but it had been arcs since he'd seen her. If he had nobody to fight for...would he still fight? I'd like to think i would...but... He took of his pack and gabbed his blanket. It was gonna be a cold night.

\\\"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth\\\"-Einstein
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-0

« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2014, 06:59:38 AM »

Amethyst did what she could to assist Eirik, producing assorted little pots and pouches, from which she dispensed drops and pinches of glutinous liquid and dusty powder - each apparently intended to assist with staving off infection in different kinds of wound.

For much of the time, however, she was providing little more than an additional pair of (thankfully gentle) hands.  That left her free to frowningly consider the suspected Charms she had produced earlier.  Much of the rest of her attention was turned to Siobhan and the other wounded, the alchemist racking her memories for any other means of assisting them.

In a break from her bandage-holding duties, she took the chance to approach Kjellan.

"I... apologise if this is rude or improper.  But I wondered if you could possibly ask Durgis for help: I think that one of the things I found" - she hefted a dark stone - "might be what's called a hearthstone.  Supposedly elven in origin, according to the stories I've heard, but... I wondered if Durgis might be able to identify the Charms.  And perhaps even tell us how to use them.  Particularly the hearthstone, right now: if it's what I think it is, then it would radiate a flameless heat..."

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2014, 07:21:05 PM »

"Tell her that I can hear just fine." Durgis said. He was invisible to all but Kjellan, but somehow Amethyst could feel eyes on her. "I ain't gonna be much help though. I don't speak elven."

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
TwiceBorn
Editor

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2014, 09:00:55 PM »

Kjellan gritted his teeth as Eirik and Amethyst went to work on his wounds. It was painful, but the outcome was worth it.

"I am frankly impressed by your skills, Eirik, Amethyst… and grateful for them. We would be so much more worse off without you… truth be told, many of us likely would have been dead by morning."

Despite the makeshift surgery, the dwarrow still felt weak, tired.

When Amethyst asked him to relay her question about the hearthstone to Durgis, Kjellan said, "He heard you, Amethyst, he heard you. Says he won't be much help with the black stone, as he doesn't speak Elven."

"What about the charms, Durgis… are they also of Elvish make? Do you recognize any of them, know how they might work or what they might do?"

TwiceBorn
Editor

« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2014, 10:00:33 AM »

Not certain if Durgis would reply again, Kjellan rummaged in his  pack and out a small bedroll. "Does everyone have a blanket, or bedroll they can use to keep warm? It's going to be a cold night."
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #80 on: April 05, 2014, 01:11:23 AM »

Dunk looked over at his thane and nephew.  Let me see those charms...I remember the elders making them around town.

Dunkin stats
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

« Reply #81 on: April 07, 2014, 03:20:59 AM »

Shivering violently from the cold, Siobahn removed the leather breastplate of her armor, her hands shaking enough to make the process laborious.
The chill seeping its way into her bones was actually more painful to her than the puncture wounds she'd removed it to expose, the puncture wounds requiring bandaging.

As the sharp hiss of pain escaping her draws attention, she remembers the sensation she'd gotten from the stone Amethyst held.

"A..A..A..Ammet..t..thhysssst. L...l..l..lettt m..m.mmmee s...s...seee the s..s.st.t....tone. I...I..I.. m..mm..ight b...b...b.bee able t..t..to m..m.makkke it w..w..woor..r..rk."
Doomed Hero

« Reply #82 on: April 07, 2014, 09:42:58 PM »

Amethyst handed over the smooth, smoky stone. Siobhan could feel the fire inside it. It was like it was sleeping just waiting to be woken up.
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #83 on: April 07, 2014, 10:14:31 PM »

Placing the stone gently on the ground in front of her, the young Sarcosan directs her will into the stone, coaxing the fire within to wakefulness, reminding it of it's purpose, to banish the cold and the darkness.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2014, 04:43:30 PM »

The stone flared to life. Usually it took a specific word to awaken the stone, but this was deeper, more primal. It was solidified fire. It wanted to burn. The elven magics held it back only to flare when called. Siobhan had a call all her own.

The room was suddenly filled with warmth. It was as though a large roaring fire was in the middle of the small room. It quickly heated to the point that the walls themselves were sweating and mist began rising from the floor as the stone heated and released the ice that had formed in it's cracks.
Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« Reply #85 on: April 11, 2014, 09:03:17 AM »

Eirik was surprised by the flood of warmth that filled the room as the stone began to glow. The magic's of the Elven clothing had kept him from noticing the cold all that much but even so, he preferred the warm air as opposed to the cold.

"Well, that takes care of one of our more pressing problems." He said to himself.
TwiceBorn
Editor

« Reply #86 on: April 11, 2014, 11:42:32 AM »

"That's… incredible," whispered Kjellan. "I don't remember the last time I was this warm… I might never want to leave this place! Is there any risk this… sorcery... will draw the Shadow to us?"
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2014, 01:03:59 AM »

"I'm not sure I'm doing much of immediate use, other than providing tools for others to use," Amethyst said with a wry smile - eyeing the stone and Siobhan with appreciative surprise.

"And... thank you, Durgis, too.  Or should we use a title?  I confess I've never spoken with anyone in quite this situation...."

A slight shake of her head, then she draws in a slow lungful of the rapidly-warming air.

"I know a little of the elven script, but not enough to feel at all confident in deciphering inscriptions in it.  Thank you, Siobhan.  But no... we should be safe from any astirax detecting this as magic.  The charms are part of the world, and as long as there is life left in it, such magic should be able to pass unnoticed.  So far as I can tell, 'all' that Siobhan has done is awaken what was already within the stone."

Digging out a bedroll from her pack to add to the group's meagre supply of camping comforts, she nods towards the dwarven charms.  "If we can work out how to activate those, they should also be imperceptible to the less conventional senses of the Shadow's servants."
Pheros

« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2014, 11:19:49 PM »

Dunk took a long look at the young Sarcosan woman who could summon fire at a whim.  He had instances of it before, but never before in so calm or close a situation.  He both admired her power and was wary of it, but said nothing of his thoughts.  Instead he quietly enjoyed the warmth, holding his place by the door while the others rested.
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2014, 06:47:52 PM »

The warmth flooded her body, banishing the agony brought on by the unbearable cold. With help applying a bandage to her wounds, the exhausted fighter finally lay down to rest sleep coming almost immediately.
Ghostfall
Lightbearer

« Reply #90 on: April 24, 2014, 05:08:02 PM »

How the hell did we make it out of that one?

Mandag slumped down into the corner with his back against the rocky wall. While others assessed the conditions of their group, he sat in silence, tracking their movements with their eyes. He was never one to shy away from a fight, but this was more than even he had originally expected. Then, all the pains, new and old, began to sink in. Even just managing his breathing felt like an exertion, speaking was surely out of the question.

As he watched the group, he was particularly taken with how active Eirik was after their escape. After they had all endured so much, he found himself impressed by how selflessly the young erenlander took to caring for his companions. When Eirik finally got to Mandag, he did not speak, but merely shifted his weight and turned to his side, better indicating the areas that needed the most attention. He knew though from the ache in his body that there was only so much that could be done. Can't knock the lad for trying... he thought to himself as Eirik tried his best to improve his condition. Then came the sharp pain and cracking of bones as his body recovered in less natural ways. He had never enjoyed magical healing, the sensation of it always left him with strange feeling afterwards, but he was nevertheless glad for it this time.

He gave Eirik a nod of thanks and slumped down against the pack he'd laid out to rest his head on. Finally coming down from the adrenaline of the night's commotion he watched has Siobahn ignited the stone, and heated the entire room. At this point though, he was too tired. His body was now in considerably better condition, but his mind was still exausted. His gazed wandered upward from the fire, towards the ceiling, before he closed his eyes and drifted to sleep.

Pheros

« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2014, 09:10:34 PM »

As the others drifted off to sleep, the warmth of the room sapped at his wakefulness.  He stood, stretched, and paced in the narrow space by the door, not wanting to risk falling asleep while the others were so weary.
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2014, 02:48:08 AM »

Dorin sat, cross legged, a hulking presence some way away from the stone, making room for others who might felt the cold stronger than he did. He did not sleep, yet, but instead sat with his brow furrowed, staring downward in contemplation. Across his lap lay the hammer he had taken from the fallen dwarves.

Once again, the big man found himself considering the wisdom of his people, the words handed down by his father and to his father by his grandfather, and so on, through an Age of history. Since taking up with Wendle and traipsing into the wilds away from the Bluff and the Pelluria, he'd found himself doing that more and more, the ancient mantras and old traditions somehow meaning more than he ever thought they would out in the world, facing the Shadow on his own terms.

This time, he considered the weapon. The ancients said that the pinnacle of weaponry was the sword: a tool that serves only for combat. All other weapons were first made for other uses, and therefore their purpose was diluted, making them less worthy for a warrior's hands. For Dorin, this advice - though not taken as seriously in the Age of Shadow, where any weapon you could grasp was a worthy one - had been a source of minor shame to him. His bulky hands had never quite felt right gripping the hilt of a sword, and he'd always felt clumsy and slow using one. There was a finesse to the use of a blade that had not come easily to him. Still, he had tried, and through simple stubborn training, he'd picked up the art, bit by bit - but it had still never felt right to him.

This weapon, though, this dwarven-made bludgeon...this felt right. The many runes running down the haft gave the thing more grip than the average weapon, ensuring that its great weight would not fly from the fingers of one holding it. The head was wider than any hammer made by human smiths, presumably because the dwarves' natural stability made it easier for them to swing such a weight and remain in control. Made of solid metal, using some technique Dorin did not know, the thing was shaped almost like doubled fists - with rounded blunt spikes that would focus the impact of each strike to a few points. When swung by a man of Dorin's size and power, there was nothing living, and many things dead, that would not fear such a blow. He knew, down to his bones, that this was the sort of weapon he was meant to wield.

No, this was a warrior's weapon as much as any blade, of that Dorin was certain, ancient wisdom or no. He was not concerned with that. Instead, he meditated over the weapon's history. The Dorns had long known that weapons gain life and history of their own as they are used in combat, and Dorin had no idea of this weapon's story, nor were there owners yet alive that he could question. If he was to wield it, he would do so knowing nothing of its tale, of its foes and its owners. You could not simply take a weapon for your own without knowing who it had served before you, or you risked it turning on you when you needed it most.

He frowned, turning the weapon over now and then. If he could not ask the owners, perhaps the hammer itself might have some answers for him. If a warrior's tool gained a measure of its own spirit, then could not that spirit make its wishes known? And if that was the case, then it was simply a matter of learning the right way to listen. Unfortunately, the learning of new things had never been Dorin's strong point. He knew only one way to solve such a problem, and that was to keep worrying at it until it fell to pieces in his mind, like a man shattering rocks to find ore. So that was what he would do, then. He would spend a portion of each night contemplating the problem of the hammer, and only once he had found the gold at its heart would he truly claim the weapon for his own.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 02:51:07 AM by Sholano » Logged

"You want me to what?! ... Gimme a minute."
Dorin's combat data | Dorin's character sheet
Doomed Hero

« Reply #93 on: May 04, 2014, 05:38:30 PM »

The night was not what anyone would call comfortable. They were warm now, it was true, but being wet and warm was actually nearly as uncomfortable as being wet and cold, though far less deadly.

Huddled close to the warming stone it was a long time before their clothes were dry enough not to chafe, and the accumulated sweat, blood and grime that soaked into leather and cloth made warm close quarters less then pleasant for everyone with a nose. Eirik and Amethyst knew these conditions were ideal breeding grounds for infections of all kinds. There just wasn't much they could do about it at the moment.

They kept a watch, constantly on guard against the occasional scrabbling sound that they could feel more than hear as the Fell crawled across the stones and ice above them.  The Fell, while constantly present, were not stupid enough to try to attack down the hallway. It was tense, but morning came without incident.

Sleeping on the hard ground of the old gnomish cellar after days without decent rest, after two harrowing battles and a narrow escape that nearly cost them all their lives had them all feeling stiff and sore by the time Dunk roused them. The sun came only about five hours after they had finally managed to bed down. Dunk had taken a quick but risky scouting run and confirmed that the the fell goblins had fled with the light. They couldn't afford to stay in the area long, though where they were headed now or what route they should take was something they still had not discussed.

There was a certain irony in Eirik's previous discussion with Amethyst given that he was, in fact, a prophet. He woke before Dunk had even begun rousing the others and felt a bit ill. He could tell that Kjellan wasn't doing so well either, and Wendle and Amethyst were downright sick, both sweating and trembling with fever.

Wendle sat up, angry and queasy. "Figures. All the stupid crap I've survived this month and I wake up feeling like i'd be better off if I hadn't. Ugh."

Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »

Eirik looked up tiredly at the room. He'd done what he could but the group was still suffering some ill effects and they couldn't afford to stay here much longer. Sickness had taken hold in Amethyst and Kjellan. And he himself was feeling drained and warmer than usual.

Not a good sign...

A that thought, it occurred to him. The map he had seen before they had abandoned Durgis Rock altogether. He moved over to Dunkin.

"Dunk... chuh. hmm..." He held up a hand as he turned his head and began to cough a little. His throat felt constricted. Definitely not a good sign.

"Dunkin, you know this area well enough and I got a pretty good look at the map before we left...  Any ideas on places we can go to to lose Shadow's trail?"
Ghostfall
Lightbearer

« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2014, 01:23:01 AM »

When he finally awoke, Mandag felt much better than he had expected. It wasn't an entirely honest feeling though, he knew that physically he wasn't significantly better of than when he'd fallen asleep. Just having had the chance to finally rest though had done wonders for him. What physical pain and soreness was left could be easily pushed to the back of his mind, it was ridding himself of the exhaustion that he was really thankful for.

As he sat up, he could feel the creaks and pops rattling through his joints. Stiffness was an unfortunate bi-product of sleeping on a stone floor. As Eirik spoke, he rose to his feet and began what stretches he could perform without aggravating his injuries. He let out a deep breath and turned his attention towards the young erenlander.

"I think we're gonna have to head north, we don't seem to have much in the way of options." Mandag let out another sigh. "By now, the full remainder of the shadow's forces are all probably passing through Durgis Rock, and by the looks of it we're in no condition to march back into that..."

Pheros

« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2014, 09:56:33 AM »

Dunk was thoughtful for a moment.  "We could head South, but that would take us to the pass Kjellan and I infiltrated.  They may have cleared it again after the trap I triggered, but I would expect it is still an active site and guarded.  I know the trails north out of here, but can't tell you what we'll find in terms of the Shadow forces.  Also, the northern path will be tougher travel."  He gave a worried look to Elirk and Wendle.
TwiceBorn
Editor

« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »

Kjellan was slow to rise, and somewhat ashamed of that. A thane should lead by example and be first to rise.

He felt cold and ached all over, felt something coming on. Then he saw his father and Amethyst and became very concerned. "Da'. Rest for now… I'll get you some water."

The dwarrow cursed as he turned to Eirik, Dunk and Mandag. "Dammit, sickness is setting in," he told Eirik, Dunk and Mandag, stating the obvious. "If we can't fight this off, we may not be going anywhere soon… Uncle, you know these mountains better than I do. Did any of the clans maintain passages under the mountains that would make for safer and easier traveling?"

He expected his uncle would laugh. It was probably foolish to hope that travelling under the mountains might be easier for this wounded and ailing bunch, most of whom could not see in the dark and would likely find it hard to gather food down there.
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2014, 01:56:28 PM »

Amethyst was already indulging in her second self-pitying groan before she belatedly recalled that she had company, and was therefore embarrassing herself.

And in front of people to whom she owed her life, to boot.

Fortunately, she hadn't had the energy to put much effort into either noise, and might hope that people simply considered them to be part of a rather unladylike awakening.

Warily forcing herself to sit up, she kept her bedroll wrapped around her as best she could while reluctantly freeing her arms.  Peering around the group, she spared a lingering look of concern for poor, oft-wounded, now-sick Wendle.

"I could probably smuggle small numbers through normal levels of patrolling in Central Erenland", she said hoarsely.  "But I fear that we're not looking at either a small group, or normal levels of paranoia from the Shadow's servants.  I suspect we need to remain quite literally out of sight, at least until we are a long way from here.  And I fear that, right now, I'm a serious hindrance.  I feel atrocious - and apologise if it's taken my coherence as well as my desire to move."

Gritting her teeth through a surge of shivering, she then sighed.

"Forgive me if I have already missed this, but did we manage to make any progress with identifying the Dwarven charms?  There's at least a small - very small - chance that one of them might assist with illness.  Otherwise... I can try to see if I can come up with something to help to figure out a way to access either them, or to gain more conventional control of the hearthstone.  But right now... I fear that even if I can walk for a day, I won't be able to carry my kit while doing so."

Biting her lip for a moment, she sighed.

"There's... the option of my plying people with alchemical preparations.  But even if it worked, it would really just be borrowing energy from the future.  A spell of activity, in return for additional lethargy in future.  But it might be worthwhile as an option to get us at least a little farther away."
Pheros

« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2014, 09:57:22 PM »

Dunk looked at the young Thane.  "Aye, there is an underground pass I remember from when I was a boy that connected to one of the old clans' holds.  But that clan is gone I expect, and the path might have been destroyed by them or others.  It would be safer than being in the open, perhaps.  The entrance is North, near a junction of paths that I'd expect is lousy with Shadow.  But it might be worth a chance."

He looked to the young human: "Let me see them.  My grammy used to make things like that...might be I could recognize something."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 24
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 3
Jump to: