Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2018, 02:09:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Only Admins and Global Moderators can post threads on the News forum, but all logged users can reply to them.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Clarion Quietus (OOC) Part 3  (Read 150645 times)
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #825 on: June 03, 2018, 03:27:47 AM »

So I didn't lose any of you. And here I was so worried.

Currently reading: Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series; The Hero of Ages.
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +5/-0

« Reply #826 on: June 03, 2018, 03:52:13 AM »

Nope.  You're stuck with us. Wink

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

« Reply #827 on: June 07, 2018, 04:20:24 AM »

Taking a bit to get a response. With the horse stuff especially, Siobhan will have some strong feelings.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #828 on: June 07, 2018, 04:38:14 PM »

As I recall, Siobhan grew up in Hornblower's Hill with Grandfather. He was a cunning old man and while he taught you of your heritage, he himself was not of Sarcosan lineage, and he never really tried to force you to learn it. He was very hands off in a lot of respects, but he would teach you things if you came and asked him of it. Such as reading and writing. The rest of the villagers were primarily of Erenlander descent and while there was a mashup of cultural heritage, there was never a true focus on either Dornish or Sarcosan teachings or beliefs. As you got older you certainly gained the attention of the boys in your village but you also had a reputation as being something of tomboy and scary too. It's possible that you took the Sarcosan teachings to heart but you certainly didn't have to.

As for you, Amethyst, living in Hornblower's Rest, was a very similar experience with the mashup of different cultures and while there was definitely a heavier mix of Erenlanders, there were both families of Sarcosans and Dorns living there too. Grandmother was far more hands on with her teachings of each of the various cultures and even had a tradition of encouraging various traditions from each of the peoples who lived there. You were trained to experience all of it and know when the best time to use those teachings or to hide them. Most times the villagers wanted you to join in on even their various private traditions and would ask you to join them. Grandmother always encouraged you to attend these too as you never knew when you needed to blend in wherever you were.

Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #829 on: June 10, 2018, 08:16:33 AM »

Sorry for dragging you guys through a long winded social encounter while the shadow side get a combat encounter. I'll be moving things along here shortly.

But here's something to think about, your journey's westward across the Plains of Central Erenland are not fraught with nothing changing. Your experiences up until now have you changing and your hardships endured continue. Ding!

LEVEL UP!!

Don't thank me for this either, you'll probably need it for your next leg of the adventure. Because I've been working on some things for you.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 08:36:16 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #830 on: June 12, 2018, 01:22:10 PM »

Great, I'll try to up Dunkin soon

Dunkin stats
Pheros

« Reply #831 on: June 16, 2018, 09:54:00 AM »

Karma check requested in Meta thread:

Rolled 1d20+2 : 2 + 2, total 4
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #832 on: June 17, 2018, 02:16:46 AM »

You got a 4 huh. Well Dunkin, that's a full failure. First off, increase your Karma score by +2. Next, over the following 10 days. You find that you are having the worst luck. Your food rations seem to be running out faster than you thought, even counting the newest member of your group, you realize that after a few nights your hunts are becoming much more difficult as game becomes scarce. Worse, you lose most of your rations as a group of rodents that sneak into your camp during your watch one night and destroy your bag by chewing through it.

You lose 24 days worth of trail rations and your bags are ruined.

Edit:
Man, so I was going back over my older posts about how I was originally planning to cover travel time and... I don't know what was going through my mind. I'm sure there was some sort of convoluted sense I could make out of it at the time, but now I have no idea.

It's going to be one check per week of travel unless I decide something changes. You will travel so many miles based on a per day standard x7. It will let me get through this way easier. If I'd been smarter at the time I would have created a page that details the various groups overland travel and resource consumption. That would have been a really good idea at the beginning, because now I just have to go hunting through pages of exposition.

I'll give Siobhan and Amethyst another day to roll. Let's hope their checks go better than yours.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 02:38:33 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Pheros

« Reply #833 on: June 17, 2018, 08:47:30 AM »

Oof, yeah, that's no good.  Hope they do better.
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #834 on: June 19, 2018, 04:08:08 PM »

Rolled 1d20+3 : 16 + 3, total 19

I think that's it (Karma 17 at present, I believe) - will try to dig up and double-check the relevant system.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #835 on: June 19, 2018, 07:43:20 PM »

Amethyst, from your sheet it seems to be 18, which means you got a 20 and that is a full success. Reduce your karma by -2. Next, while travel continues for 10 days, you find yourself suffering fewer hardships than usual. Your sleep is more restful than it seems to be for others and you always seem to have pleasant dreams and walk with a spring in your step. This doesn't make the travel any easier but where you normally find it hard to keep up with the others now you seem to find the easiest paths and are always near the front of the group.
At one point near the end of the 9th day of travel you find signs of a medium sized group of riders who had been moving through the area and had apparently been attacked. It's discovered to have only been 2 days before at night as there are signs that they were assaulted by a large group of fell. The camp had been hastily abandoned with leaving a fire to die out on its own, as well as scattered supplies here and there. You discover the following:

Up to 16 days of trail rations
1 short bow and 17 arrows.
1 cedeku
2 waterskins
1 scimitar
a belt pouch containing 18 gold coins of sarcosan print
One pack, you discover it seems to have been a couriers pack of a sworn rider to one of the newer Traitor Princes of the area, Daru Nishpa. The papers are from a recent date and appear to be unmarred in any way. They allow for entry into any city and should stop any molesting from Orcs within the Princes territories.

Oh also do remember to level up and to apply your stat boost somewhere.
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #836 on: June 20, 2018, 06:54:06 AM »

If the world stabilises (whee - health "fun") and I can string thoughts together, I'll try to catch up on things here today.

Including updating my combat stats: I took my Karma score from there, which was clearly out of date. Wink

I've given Siobhan's player a nudge; should hopefully get a Karma check for her shortly.
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #837 on: June 20, 2018, 06:05:39 PM »

Good grief, I've missed several months of posts.  I really do apologise yet again.  Not least for missing an absolutely explicit cue for Amethyst to "do the talking".

Hopefully it's not too late to help a little with that - including both her Detect Evil power and a Sense Motive check (with attendant huge bonus for detecting servants of Shadow) to confirm that Alyssa's not actually in cahoots with the powers of darkness.

Mostly, she's intending to just be nice, and trust that she'll receive a nice response in return.  The automatic Attitude improvement for any non-evil person she meets kicks in before she even tries any Diplomacy charm; she very rarely has to deal with anyone with a worse than Neutral attitude to her, and most are warmer than that....
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #838 on: June 24, 2018, 01:58:06 AM »

I assume this takes place over the time you travel and not necessarily all at once.

Alyssa does not show as wholly evil to you, but you do notice tinges of it. Give me the following:

A sense motive check to get a feel for her general disposition.
A diplomacy check to see what sort of response you get from being nice. (Changing her disposition toward you. Attracted bonus applies. Friendly agent applies.)
Bluff:
Rolled 1d20+13 : 20 + 13, total 33

Another sense motive check to see how she really feels about you. (Detect lies applies. )
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #839 on: June 24, 2018, 04:21:28 AM »

Karma This dice roll has been tampered with!
Rolled 1d20 : 4, total 4

Sad trombone

Am I adding the 10 of my Karma score or +0 as 10 would be no modifier?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 04:29:37 AM by Ilona Ebonblade » Logged
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #840 on: June 24, 2018, 04:39:43 AM »

I know I come back to this every few months, but once again looking over the character attributes, I am highly amused by the amount of extremely high charismatic members there are. All of the female members of the party had 16 charisma but also Timeon, Kjellan, and even Nefario had one too. The exceptions being Eirik, Dorin, Dunkin, Mandag, and Fedwyn.

Of course, now Amethyst has pulled away from the pack at an 18.

Edit:

Oh dear Siobhan, you also got a complete failure on your karma check. You are correct about the no bonus. It's effectively another stat, just a very mercurial one. Well, first off increase your karma score by +2. Next, over the following 10 days, you much like Dunkin are having some terrible luck.
First off, sleep is hard to come by and when you do find it, you are constantly having nightmares about traveling in a fog filled world of darkness and feel like you have almost no control over your body. For the last few days you have found yourself constantly fatigued. Next as you continue, you find yourself getting more and more irritated and angry at little things that go wrong and you constantly burst things into flame whenever your temper gets the better of you. Once you even burn one of your bags. While normally a point of calmness and someone to help brighten your day for you, Amethyst, has seemingly not had any time for you. Instead, she seems to be spending all of her time with Alyssa.

Is there anything you would like your character to have been doing over those next 10 days specifically? You had a great deal of free time on your hands. You just didn't know how it was all going to go.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:34:08 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #841 on: June 24, 2018, 05:11:47 AM »

We're gorgeous!

That makes sense...she's acting like a fire. It works perfectly since at this level I gain "Burn it all" everything around me is now more susceptible to burning. Grumpy Siobhan is grumpy.

Well once I realize I'm randomly setting stuff on fire when in a bad mood, I stay away from the book during that time. Try to work off the bad energy training, and talking with Amethyst to try to keep calm, and trying not to infect Fedwyn and Alyssa with her mood.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 05:26:31 AM by Ilona Ebonblade » Logged
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #842 on: June 24, 2018, 05:34:17 AM »

As a note, things others are doing:
Amethyst is trying to warm up Alyssa to the group. At first it seemed like this wasn't going anywhere but Amethyst was persistent, and soon the two began talking a fair amount.

Dunkin is busy hunting, along with Eirik. But for some reason it seems like it's taking Dunkin a lot longer than usual to return with food, set up a good camping spot, or even find good hunting spots. More and more it falls to Eirik to try and pick up the slack but even as he's staying out later it feels like its not enough.

Dorin, you find, has been having long training sessions with Fedwyn ever since Amethyst took over mentoring her and she seems to have gotten used to being part of the group. He's gotten prodigiously strong lately, and the two of them always come back looking exhausted but also like they're having a good time.

Kjellan is spending a great deal of time with Timeon, who is teaching him more about the basics of languages and helping him work on his traders tongue.  Which is odd, since you thought he spoke that language fluently. The two of them also seem to be spending a good deal of time at night, staying up and watching the moon.

Ivy seems sad lately. But she seems to be talking to Wendell a  lot. The snippets of conversation seem to be about the river-ways, life on the plains versus a boat and where Wendell's traveled to as a caravan driver.

Mandag wanders in and out of camp by himself. He doesn't really talk to anyone as the days go on but even the stoic Erenlander is starting to look a little bit more ragged and thin around the edges. You suspect he may be fasting a bit in order to prepare himself for when food runs low.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 06:02:06 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #843 on: June 24, 2018, 05:50:19 AM »

As part of dealing with the flares of anger....and fire, Siobhan will also spend some time meditating with the fire resonant stone
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #844 on: June 24, 2018, 06:49:47 AM »

I could write up an epic time-hopping IC post and hope that relevant details could be picked out, but summarising this lot OOC seems sensible....

Amethyst's had a few major goals re. Fedwyn since she joined the group:

1) Bring her out of her shell a little, by persuading her that there are people who are perfectly willing to spend time with her and who can appreciate her talents.  The simple lack of having insults and objects thrown at her should help a lot with this, but giving her tasks (even simple ones) to help around camp should also contribute to 'normalising' her role in the group... both for her and for the others.

2) Teach her some language other than Dwarven.  In game-mechanical terms, she's 'missing' at least a point or two of her automatic language ranks; even if she can't use those to pick up other tongues now, hopefully she can learn at least a little as she levels up.   Even just Pidgin-rank Trader's Tongue would be a very welcome addition, granting reliable access to things like 'Run', 'Food', 'Stop', and 'Hide'.  ((And has she levelled up with us?))  Broader language-study, she'd gladly help to promote (and be part of).  She loves learning to talk to people.

3) Teach Fedwyn to work as part of a group.  Raging off on her own could put all of us in danger; but if she can learn to work closely with one of our longer-standing close-combat horrors (Siobhan and her Ashblade being perhaps the most obvious one, since Fedwyn accepts Siobhan as non-hostile already) then we could have a very hard-hitting little unit to deploy.  Her limited access to shared languages makes 'attaching' her to one or two others seem advisable; if she knows she has to stick close to them, then there'll be much less of a need for mid-combat translation services.

4) Persuade her that she's liked.  Amethyst had no intention or expectation of winding up as surrogate mother / big sister, but she is determined to do her best in the role now that she's acquired it.  And since she does like Fedwyn, she hopes that she can actually persuade Fedwyn of this.  Certainly, she regards the young dworg's determination and capacity to survive as thoroughly admirable, and is delighted that she did so without falling to evil.

---

Re. Alyssa: opportunities will be grabbed to get a look at Alyssa (and the rest of the party, for that matter) in Grandmother's mirror.  From least to most useful, this will reveal poisoning, disease, or the presence of a magical disguise of any kind.  This should hopefully count as a pretty useful supplement to Amethyst's mundane spy-spotting skills.

Figuring out quite what Alyssa is / can do would also be very useful.  And Amethyst would be delighted to discuss magic with her (her Arcana and Spellcraft scores are really rather good, and the more she can learn the more ideas she can have for her own bodged-together Factotum dabbling).

---

Equipment: presuming that Alyssa checks out, it might be wise to redistribute a little more of Amethyst's growing mountain of kit.  Alyssa can certainly receive some spare clothing, should she need it, as well as a pack.  And weaponry is also available: as a Sarcosan, a cedeku will count as a Martial weapon for her, and Amethyst just acquired an extra one - but if she's a 'pure' Channeller I think she only has competence with Simple weaponry.  In that case, Amethyst's staff might be the best available option for her, or perhaps a dagger.

Slings let a user add their strength bonus to damage - so Amethyst passing her (great) sling to Fedwyn would seem wise (and the Dworg already has her wide-brimmed hat to try to help her against the sun).  Amethyst can switch to using the newly-acquired short bow.  That leaves Amethyst's damage unchanged while giving Fedwyn a pretty potent ranged attack.

Charms: we now have our five 'mystery' charms identified (they're listed on Amethyst's sheet).  I'm thinking that she can probably just hang onto those until they're needed by someone, unless other people particularly want one.

The agate: the mysterious red agate that 'resonated' with Siobhan has been identified as holding a fire elemental(!); breaking the stone will release it (under the control of the person who broke it).  However, for fire-aspected Siobhan more might be possible.  Passing it into her care seems appropriate.

---

The Courier's Papers: these grant free access and protection from molestation - but over how wide an area, and for how many people?  Could Amethyst use them to get the whole group into and out of occupied settlements?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 07:17:40 AM by Exile » Logged
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #845 on: June 24, 2018, 08:44:38 AM »

Ooh, big posts! I like that. Don't worry so much about having to write IC time-hopping scenes yourself. That much is for me the GM to worry about.

But I will say that the more OOC things you guys give me to work with, the easier my job is and the more inspired I am to write cool things pertaining to what you're doing. Don't forget to check over my recent OOC posts either as I often like to write things and the go over them again later to adjust things as I think of them.

Fedwyn has in fact leveled up with you all along the way. Teaching her the basics of traders tongue helps to endear her to the party even more, as she begins to communicate with them a bit more over time. She is absolutely thrilled to learn under you and takes to speaking with you at length trying new words. Even tearing up a little bit more as you give her a hat to wear. (I can't help but think of her as Scout from the Rooster Teeth show, Nomad of Nowhere.)

By offering Alyssa things like extra clothes, weapons, and taking an interest into what she can do, you find it much easier to talk with her and she becomes much less standoffish towards you. Amethyst gains a +4 on your respective Diplomacy and Sense motive checks towards her as her guard seems to drop. You quickly discern that she is an Orphic channeler. She understands a very limited amount of how magic works, claiming she doesn't really get how she does it, she wills it and it just happens. She is interested in any theories you might have though. (This will require more study.)

As for the courier's papers, think of them like waving a giant diplomacy bonus in the face of those who'll listen. It varies from place to place and to some degree with time, but essentially anywhere that Jahzir's puppet governments in the south like to conduct business. In particular, this grants a +10 bonus circumstance bonus to all diplomacy and +6 to all intimidate checks within those areas.

Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #846 on: June 24, 2018, 08:58:37 AM »

Fedwyn got the hat right back when we reached the surface, I think - Amethyst has a full set of elven travelling clothes as well as a (+5 stealth bonus) Elven Cloak(tm).  For travel in which Amethyst doesn't have to pretend to be normal, Fedwyn is entirely welcome to get what protection we can provide. Smiley

Is Fedwyn now level 4?  Oooh.  I don't suppose we could see any sort of summary sheet for her, to have some idea of what she can do?  But language skills are very good to hear are now in place.

Alyssa: yay.  Magic can eagerly be studied and discussed - especially with Eirik, if he's willing to chime in about his own understanding of such things: it seems as if he could offer Alyssa quite a lot of help.  But Amethyst's tactful enough to ensure that it's up to him to reveal (or not) that he has visions and magical abilities of his own.  'Outing' herself as a somewhat-magical oddity is as far as Amethyst'll go.  Is Alyssa literate, as an aside?  Amethyst's working on full fluency in Courtier and also literacy in it, while levelling up - and that could potentially be something to involve both Siobhan and Alyssa.  Amethyst's keen on getting people to collaborate on shared projects, when she can.

The papers: phew.  I was worried they were something along the lines of "let this rider pass unmolested" and of very limited use to our large and odd group.  They sound like they could be life-saving.
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #847 on: June 24, 2018, 09:18:45 AM »

Vitality:
Rolled 1d8 : 8, total 8
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #848 on: June 24, 2018, 09:33:50 AM »

...that should have been a d4+4, I believe.  But I'll gladly take the maximum roll.

And also a +1 to 'fill in' a gap in Vitality from a previous level, as detailed way back around page 25 or so of this thread.  At 32 Vitality, Amethyst's starting to get quite tough... save for her decidedly average 10 Wounds. Wink
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #849 on: June 25, 2018, 06:22:44 AM »

Well surprise serious wounds will kill you. Thankfully that's why you heroic lot all have a bunch of action points to spend so you can delay your demise for a time.

Sorry for the IC delay folks. I'm just finishing with a weekend of typical and a few surprise things going on. That and my work has steadily gotten more difficult over the past year to the point that where I used to have several hours of nearly uninterrupted computer time during the wee hours of the morning to post, I now have only sporadic 5-15 minute periods of calm. For a brief 3 week period I had a partner with me which helped lighten the workload, but we lost the only other person willing to work graveyard shift and he had to be moved to cover for them.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 06:33:41 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Clarion Quietus (OOC) Part 3
Jump to: