Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 25, 2018, 03:53:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Avoid offending or attacking other users, be polite and well mannered and only good will come from it.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Clarion Quietus (OOC) Part 3  (Read 148037 times)
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

« Reply #700 on: February 07, 2017, 04:49:32 AM »

Which is funny because Siobhan's likely to fight twice as violently if Amethyst is in harm's way as opposed to not. Which could be an advantage.
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +5/-0

« Reply #701 on: February 07, 2017, 05:26:07 AM »

Awwwww. Smiley

Levelling up, Amethyst's just gaining access to a touch of 'real' magic (as opposed to cantrips), and is feeling even more (over-)confident than usual about helping more combat-capable people to make a difference in a fight.  She doesn't remotely think of herself as a warrior... but she's pretty sure she can help the real fighters to look good and to win quicker. Smiley

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #702 on: February 20, 2017, 06:24:30 AM »

All right then folks, go ahead divide yourselves up into teams of people you want to take with you and then go ahead and roll me some Diplomacy/Intimidate checks.

-2 checks on Diplomacy for being Human. No penalty for Fae, and a +2 for Dunkin. Xenophobic Dwarves are suspicious even of their new heroes. Yet despite that, your minor celebrity status has everyone treating you as friendly. Except for Amethyst who they can't seem but to love. If you're just sticking to being a group the penalties/bonuses simply negate each other.

Asking about the what is acceptable during an arena fight is one line of inquiry.
Asking what you might face, reliably, is another.
But asking about breaking tradition and fighting as a group is sensitive subject and is one that may require some skill to get around without coming off as offensive.
Locating the Dworg Fedwyn is a simple matter but talking to her after Dunkin's earlier rejection of her may not be so simple.

Currently reading: Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series; The Hero of Ages.
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #703 on: February 22, 2017, 10:40:34 AM »

Dunk is planning on fighting alone, though supports the others if they want to fight as a team. He'll tackle asking about the others breaking tradition.  Maybe see if he can find one of the more friendly council members.

He's going to try to avoid the party looking for Fedwyn, specifically because of his earlier brush-off

Dunkin stats
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #704 on: February 24, 2017, 04:43:42 AM »

Sorry... more 'fun' re. the house (though it seems to be weathertight now!).  Catching up yet again.
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #705 on: March 09, 2017, 06:49:27 AM »

Rolling for vitality for this level:

Rolled 1d4+4 : 1 + 4, total 5

And rolling for arena opponent, whenever it becomes relevant (Amethyst *is* intending to fight, with Siobhan if allowed):

Rolled 1d12 : 3, total 3

And diplomacy re. Fedwyn:

Rolled 1d20+10 : 13 + 10, total 23
  She'll spend an Inspiration for the extra +5...  and further boosts determined by the GM are: +1 if Fedwyn thinks she's pretty; a separate +2 if she serves the Shadow; a +4 to win the trust of an opponent of Shadow; and there's the automatic boost of one attitude level for any non-evil individual encountering Amethyst for the first time (before Amethyst even tries talking).
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #706 on: March 09, 2017, 06:55:19 AM »

Oh... she's also checking Fedwyn with Detect Evil, upon first seeing her: her super-powered version gives her a sense of the potency of the 'aura' of evil as if she'd studied the target for 3 rounds, after just 1 round of looking.  Not that it's very useful, since I think the aura strength only increases every 5 levels above 1st....

But it'll let her know if Fedwyn's spirit's been badly corrupted by her treatment.

PS.  My apologies must be wearing wafer-thin by now... but aiee.  Sorry.  Still got soooo much distraction / hassle / stress from the house.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 07:02:33 AM by Exile » Logged
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #707 on: March 09, 2017, 10:46:15 AM »

How quickly are you letting Amethyst knock up one of her ad hoc spells?  Something akin to Protection from Evil seems like it might be appropriate here, to try to ward Fedwyn against the aura - but it's certainly not something Amethyst would have thought to prepare in advance.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #708 on: March 09, 2017, 01:44:41 PM »

That ability is strange enough, that I'm going to alter it a little bit. I know it says at the beginning of the day but I'm willing to allow you to pick a spell after a minute per spell level of contemplation to fill one of your slots. In combat it will be a pain to figure it out a spell you might need if you don't have it ready, but outside of combat it's just a matter of time.

I'm going to also give your inspiration another ability based on this. You may spend 1 inspiration point as an immediate action ready a spell to mind. You will have to use it again if you decide you want to add another spell. It will work like all other uses of your inspiration be deducted from your pool total for that encounter. The spell is then added to your list of spells for the day.

Actually with that ability, you're going to want to add a spell sheet to your character for the spells you have prepared. Currently you have 3 1st level spell slots, and 2 2nd level spell slots.
Due to the limits of the Arcane Dilettante ability the other 2nd level slot cannot be used for a 2nd level spell as you only get to cast 1 of your highest level of spells. You may add a Cantrip to one of your spell slots if you desire. And just like the rest of the text of that ability. You can only use the prepared spell once in an 8 hour period and cannot prepare it again.

In a manner of speaking this actually gives you an interesting option should you decide to get the drop on somebody and start a fight with a surprise round.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 02:10:52 PM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #709 on: March 11, 2017, 01:44:44 PM »

Dunkin, since you are not with the group at the moment, where are you and what are you doing?
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #710 on: March 11, 2017, 02:06:31 PM »

Dunk will look for the council member he met in the tunnels. He's looking for information on how strict the dwarves will be with the non dwarves party members
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #711 on: March 12, 2017, 04:49:54 AM »

Sorry, been pretty absent myself. Catching up now
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #712 on: March 12, 2017, 04:55:20 AM »

Sense Motive
Rolled 1d20+8 : 3 + 8, total 11
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #713 on: March 14, 2017, 06:52:08 AM »

Welcome back. Smiley

Luiniel: is the malevolent aura still around Fedwyn, or has it been entirely banished by Hope?
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #714 on: March 14, 2017, 07:08:57 AM »

The aura has vanished. Fedwyn is in a very vulnerable state right now but you have successfully kept her from turning evil.
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #715 on: March 14, 2017, 07:23:47 AM »

Hugs not drugs! lol
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #716 on: March 14, 2017, 08:04:50 AM »

I fear that I'm neither the diplomat nor the orator that Amethyst is... so if you'd like a roll or two, I can make 'em (boosted by Inspiration and Action Points, I suspect!).
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #717 on: March 14, 2017, 08:43:31 AM »

Now you see, when I read something like "I'm not the orator nor Diplomat" and then there's 5 short paragraphs of talking and description, I do believe that is called being humble.

But just to make sure your words don't have some abhorrent degenerating effect, go ahead and give me a roll with any and all modifiers you believe are appropriate.

I know it really doesn't mean too much but you're getting a Spell Energy point from me. That speech just reminded me of something I haven't heard of since Sam's speech in The Two Towers.

Actually, you know what that's deserving of a complete pass. You don't need to roll for this. Unless you want to.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:56:41 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #718 on: March 14, 2017, 09:49:17 AM »

I'll spend the Inspiration and Action Point anyway, to boost the impact.  But I'm happy without rolling dice. Grin

To clarify the intent of this: Amethyst's hoping to be able to teach Fedwyn Hope during the course of their talk - so that she'll literally carry it with her.  Yes, there's a danger to drawing the Shadow's attention to where it's found... but the Shadow's already besieging the dwarfhold, and the defenders are likely to draw more benefit (spiritually, in particular) from Hope's presence than they'll suffer from any fractional increase in how much the the dark god of bigotry already wants to kill the mass of elder fey. Wink

As for being humble... heh.  Thank you.  I really don't think I count as preternaturally inspiring, but I appreciate the vote of confidence!
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #719 on: March 15, 2017, 11:10:41 PM »

Okay, well that scene went over pretty well. You now have access to a decently open source of knowledge about the hold-fast and you may have done something more in return for your efforts. I have to say, I enjoy seeing someone fight hard against the driving points of the Shadow in a world that basically tries to force people to become hardened killers in order to survive. Not just striving to survive but actually trying to be more and make peoples lives better while doing it. Being a hero.

Recover 1 action point, if you've spent any.
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #720 on: March 16, 2017, 04:19:12 AM »

Posting here, since this'd otherwise be an even longer and very convoluted IC post, riddled with conditions.  I can post a summary of things IC, if you're happy with this (and sorry for its lengthy anyway!). Smiley

Amethyst's hoping to:

1) Share a meal (from her own stores) - as affirmation of friendship with Fedwyn, to get some sustenance into the girl, and to draw Siobhan in... and also to provide an easy excuse for Trader's Tongue / Dwarven lessons to help Fedwyn and Siobhan to relax and laugh together as they stumble over words for food and drink.
2) Entertain, encourage and enlighten with some of her more inspiring stories, chosen to best fit a social outcast: she's keen to emphasise the idea that however nasty people might be to Fedwyn, it's the Shadow that's the real enemy.  Not giving in to its provocations will thus be a small victory against the Shadow: directly thumbing her nose at the dark god, as it were.
3) Learn from Fedwyn about how things can change for people in the dwarfhold: we already know that there is a transitional ritual for aspiring warriors, of challenging the Shadow prisoners in the arena - but who can do that, when, and how?  And what are the rules for the contest itself?  Fedwyn's likely to have a perspective on the reality of things and the nuances of what can or can't be got away with, that we simply won't get from those for whom the clan's rules already work well.  She might also be aware of other routes to formal standing within the hold (e.g. acceptance as an apprentice).  Even if Fedwyn doesn't think they're open to her due to social pressures, Amethyst might possibly manage to work something out.
4) Find at least one suitable thing onto which she can inscribe Hope as a gift from her to Fedwyn (the head of her hammer or a simple amulet, perhaps?).
5) Teach Fedwyn 'Hope', so that the youngster can recreate the symbol in future - for herself and others.  If at all possible, Amethyst's keen to avoid having Hope physically restricted to a single item, that might then be taken away from Fedwyn.
6) Figure out some way to improve Fedwyn's clothing / kit.  Amethyst can work up an approximation of Mending a maximum of once a day, which might help a little.

Depending on the answers she gets, Amethyst might try some diplomatically risky options - such as inviting Fedwyn to fight alongside herself and Siobhan to gain recognition as a worthy warrior.  After all, the challenges the party are facing are specifically not intended to have them become part of the clan's military forces, but instead to prove they're competent enough to be treated as equals.  It might be harder for the clan to find a reason for Fedwyn not to participate in our tests than in their standard ones, given the lack of guaranteed promotion - but if we're free to pick our 'team' and Fedwyn can pass the test, her standing can only increase.

Amethyst's also wondering if Kjellan might be willing to do something with Fedwyn: she's not really au fait with the details of Kurgan vs undermountain dwarven clans (Knowledge: Shadow in spades; not so much on dwarves!), but he has been formally recognised as a thane, it seems.  And as such, he might be able to double the size of his clan's official warband by adopting Fedwyn / appoint her as his gift of an allied contingent to help defend the hold / something of the sort.  She'd still be an outsider... but a formally, legally accepted one they're honour-bound to treat with the respect due to her thane's representative.  Of course, this becomes vastly easier if Fedwyn wants to (and can) pass the warrior's challenge or gain equivalent status in a non-martial profession.  The intention's not to haul Fedwyn off on their insanely dangerous mission... she's likely to be safer and to do more good here, Amethyst thinks: but if Kjellan wanted a teenage dworg along, and Fedwyn wanted to come, Amethyst'd certainly do her best to help.

(Sorry again for spam!)
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #721 on: March 16, 2017, 05:03:54 PM »

What a fantastic option you've presented here. As for what happens, here's the breakdown of meeting without having to write a novel about it.

1.) The shared meal goes a long way toward dissipating any residual feelings of mistrust between Fedwyn and Siobhan. At least on Fedwyn's side. Anything you put in front of her is almost immediately eaten as though she were on the verge of starving. She has nothing resembling manners. The possibility of opening a tiny bit of dialogue for Trader's Tongue and Clan Dwarven dialect can begin since you're sounding like you're willing to stay here for a few hours but it's definitely not enough to learn more than a few simple phrases.

2.) Running off of your previous total for Diplomacy for this encounter, the stories are perfectly well suited to her. She seems to enjoy them all and you realize that while she's not been educated at all, she's not dumb and derives some meaning from them. She holds to the fact that while it may be the Shadow as the root cause of all of this, that the stigma she suffers from the clan is still in large part due to how they themselves see her and cannot all be attributed to Shadow in the north.

3.) You learn that Fedwyn is two years past the usual amount of time the youngest warriors try to take to the path. She'd been rebuked twice before but this time she'd planned to essentially jump into the middle of the ring and demand a fight in order to prove herself. The arena blooding, as guessed, is what the Dwarves use to mark them as ready to join the army, but everyone has a job to do. Whether its tending to the fields, picking up a craft of a blacksmith, mining, metal working, becoming a brewer, being a butcher, learning to be a Channeler which is rare, working with stone to create traps, siege engineering, basics of alchemy which is taught by Dola but only to a handful of students outside of those becoming Channelers, basic manual laboring, becoming a scout, or trap making. Other talents not of immediate or practical use were more or less abandoned 60 years back.
You also learn that the way things work here, men are primarily the warriors of the clan and the women are expected to have the more difficult task of pairing off and having children to make more warriors for the clan. Marriage is something that is practiced here but it is just as likely that the Dwarves will have children with one another during any time of revelry. Every life is accepted into the clan... except hers. Being a mother and being a warrior are the end goals here. Everything else just helps along the way.

4.) As for things Fedwyn has that can be ascribed with hope. Her hammers are the first option. She has her mother's necklace which she keeps but does not wear. Other than that she has some old torn studded leather armor that only fits her in certain places as she is much broader than most female Dwarves.

5.) Teaching her Hope is tricky. As you recall, Grandfather said that only those who are literate will remember how to do it properly beyond a day. Fedwyn has never been taught to read, write, or draw a day in her life. You suspect that with time she might learn but it would take a while. The fact that you wish to inscribe it into something for her will help a lot in that regard.

6.) Simple sewing tools and a few hours, including the use of mending, will go a long way to helping her general outfit. It looks like she has a number of old clothing items but most don't fit her size properly as she is in the midst of puberty and is growing large, although you suspect with her poor diet, not as large as she should be.

As for what is generally expected in the arena, Fedwyn knows that no one has ever asked to fight together. It's not tradition and therefor not practiced. But that also means it's a grey area since there will be no rules against it. She recalls that one year she had seen a very unusual fight with a Dwarf who hid from his opponent behind a pillar. When the Orc became confused there was no one to fight with and he suddenly dropped dead with a crossbow bolt in the back of his head a lot of people laughed but no one applauded.

As you broach the idea of Fedwyn joining you and being seen as an outsider and not following the traditional ways, its obvious though the thought had never crossed her mind before. Another grey area but one that she believes could work and one that she's sure a number would be more than happy to see occur. Although her dying would be preferable to most. She knows nothing about diplomacy and isn't sure how they would accept it. Again though, she thinks it would hurt their honor less if that's how it was.

As for some of the stories she about; There's one about how the Kurgan accept others, now confirmed by her brief meeting with Dunkin. It's possible that Kjellan would be more open to the idea than the more traditional Dwarf. She's also aware of the stories of a ritual combat utilized by the Clan Dwarves of old where one clan leader or champion there of would challenge another, till death or the surrender of another. The loser or those under the one who lost would join the clan of the other. It would be unusual but sometimes there were those who would challenge others without the consent of the clan Dor to leave a clan.
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #722 on: March 16, 2017, 05:30:35 PM »

The language lesson is chiefly intended to give Fedwyn and Siobhan some entertainment - and to demonstrate to the former that it's entirely possible to joke and laugh with even a complete stranger who can't understand her words.  A little bit of horizon-broadening, to reinforce the notion that Amethyst's crazy world-view might have some merit. Wink

Part of the hope of inscribing Hope was that it could serve as a guide for Fedwyn to practice with, yes.  Since even Siobhan (a pupil of Grandfather) didn't pick Hope up immediately, Amethyst is aware she's pushing her luck... but she'd quite willingly blow another Inspiration point to enhance her teaching efforts.

And yes, Amethyst privately thinks that far too many dwarves are inclined to cut off their nose to spite their face... but she's keen to try to present tolerance by Fedwyn of her offensive neighbours as a way that the dworg can take the fight to the Shadow by embodying the antithesis of his desires, while responding in kind would be a victory for the dark god.  She doesn't want to spell it out in this way - but Amethyst's hoping that Fedwyn can quite simply be a better person than many of her kin.  And that if she radiates Hope wherever she goes, she might actually start shaping them to be more hopeful and less spiteful, too.

Does Fedwyn have any preferences for what she would actually like to do, herself?  The obvious option is warrior, but if she's got a real hankering to be an alchemist or a smith, Amethyst can see if she can somehow arrange it.

Arena fighting: do channelers participate in the tests?  If so, are they allowed to use magic?  Amethyst doesn't want to do something weird and get her team instantly disqualified / declared to be dishonourable cheats.

And Ilona: is Siobhan happy to support (or at least willing to go along with) Amethyst's crazy idea to find a way for the dworg to fight with the pair of them?  I don't want to just assume compliance with my latest mad notion.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #723 on: March 16, 2017, 06:59:04 PM »

As for Arena fighting, it's pretty much anything goes for the 1 vs 1 battle. Magic included and yes there have been Channelers in the past. It's simply a rare thing for any Dwarves to have. Killing your opponent is not strictly necessary but is how many will fight. The hardest part you will have is convincing the Dwarves to let others fight with you and not have it be a major insult on their honored tradition.

Teaching Fedwyn the trader's tongue language and how to correctly produce the nuances of the Hope symbol effectively comes down to a pair of Linguistics checks. One from you to see how easy you make the speaking lesson. Another from her to see how well you are able to impart the intricacies of the symbol itself to someone else. The first one is a standard lesson Dc 20. The second is difficult due to its otherwise exotic nature Dc.25. She is not smart and has never learned this before and thus doesn't have the skill so it's all up to you.

For the Drawing you are familiar with it so it comes naturally to you. You gain a +2 bonus when trying to draw it. You may try to teach her once per day while you are here.

As for preferences on Fedwyn: She is unrefined but definitely has potential. Now that Amethyst has sat down with her for a little while it's easier for her to tell She will never be truly amazing at Diplomacy. (8 Charisma) But she's still strong and decently healthy despite her living conditions.  (Effectively she has basic NPC stats but may well become a Heroic NPC now, thanks to you.) As for one of her race, she is inclined toward being a warrior given her physical attributes and that's also the only thing she's ever considered before. But you believe with the proper training she could become an alchemist. Her awareness of her surroundings is solid too, also she keeps sniffing at you. It occurs to you that she might be able to become a Channeler like the way that Eirik is.

Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #724 on: March 17, 2017, 07:22:15 AM »

How long do we have before the fights are due to take place?  Timing might have rather a big impact on what options Amethyst can even try to set up - at minimum, she's got to corner Kjellan for a chat about this before she springs nasty surprises on him.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 35
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Clarion Quietus (OOC) Part 3
Jump to: