Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 21, 2019, 10:13:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Only Admins and Global Moderators can post threads on the News forum, but all logged users can reply to them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Clarion Quietus (OOC) Part 3  (Read 206905 times)
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2013, 11:29:41 PM »

No, environmental damage, like falling and energy, isn't reduced by armor.

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2013, 09:15:03 PM »

Let's just say there were some 1s rolled…

Dorin: 9 damage, 1 cold (negated, I think)

The cold damage is still there unfortunately. Unlike the Dorns of 1st edition Midnight, which had an innate Cold Resistance 5, the 2nd edition Midnight Dorns suffer half the normal damage (rounded down) from cold weather damage and effects.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2013, 12:38:51 AM »

Thanks. I didn't have time to check his sheet.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2013, 02:21:28 PM »

Ivy, you have been struck in the back for 5 bludgeoning damage and Grappled. (please reduce it according to your armor).

Everyone else, between the darkness, the distance and the roar of the waterfall, nobody rolled high enough to notice that Ivy is in danger. Most of you probably don't even realize she isn't in the pile. For the moment, this is her fight.

For frame of reference, Ivy is 40 feet up the slope of the pass. The rest of you are at the bottom of the slope, about 15 feet from the ruins of the trade house. For those of you without Darkvision, it is really dark. Normal vision is Dim light out to a distance of 5 feet, total dark beyond that. Low-light is Dim to 10 feet. Sounds are likewise muffled. Yelling is required for communication at any distance greater than 10 feet.

To make matters worse, the ground is all difficult terrain. Uneven ground covered in wet ice, in the dark, is no fun.

Doomed Hero

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2013, 04:42:07 PM »

Merry Christmas Kjellan. Please check out the Channeler Rework thread.
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2013, 11:21:22 PM »

Greaaaaat.

neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2013, 12:25:58 AM »

Ivy's going to try to become the controlling grappler with an Escape Artist check +7+1d6 with an Action Point.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 01:19:53 AM by neverfox » Logged
Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2013, 02:10:37 AM »

Think you might have to use a grapple check rather than escape artist to take control of the Grapple.

Or at least that would make sense in my mind, the rules don't actually denounce that idea.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 02:25:01 AM by Fates Chagrin » Logged
TwiceBorn
Editor

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2013, 10:45:21 AM »

Merry Christmas Kjellan. Please check out the Channeler Rework thread.

That is a mighty fine Xmas gift, sir. I truly appreciate the work you've put not only into this modified class, but into the PbP as a whole… not to mention everything you do to not only keep Midnight alive, but moving forward. A small token of my appreciation for all you've done is on its way to you as I write this…

Cheers!

neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2013, 11:35:18 AM »

Think you might have to use a grapple check rather than escape artist to take control of the Grapple.

Or at least that would make sense in my mind, the rules don't actually denounce that idea.
Since the rules are Pathfinder, not only do they not denounce it, they actually explicitly allow it: Wink

Quote from: Pathfinder SRD
If you are grappled, you can attempt to break the grapple as a standard action by making a combat maneuver check (DC equal to your opponent's CMD; this does not provoke an attack of opportunity) or Escape Artist check (with a DC equal to your opponent's CMD). If you succeed, you break the grapple and can act normally. Alternatively, if you succeed, you can become the grappler, grappling the other creature (meaning that the other creature cannot freely release the grapple without making a combat maneuver check, while you can).
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 11:45:17 AM by neverfox » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2013, 10:57:38 PM »

Success! Ivy manages to become the controlling grappler
(click to show/hide)

neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2013, 12:09:46 AM »

Sweet!

(click to show/hide)
Doomed Hero

« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2013, 01:48:38 AM »

(click to show/hide)
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2013, 01:24:25 PM »

Ivy, don't you dare die to a couple of Fell Goblin punks. You have a much more serious rival to contend with. Release the grapple, yell for a catch and jump off the cliff if you have to. Plus, your Human healer might get sad if you died here.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 02:14:33 AM by Fates Chagrin » Logged

Currently reading: Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series; The Hero of Ages.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2013, 06:13:59 PM »

Aw, it's almost like someone cares...
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #40 on: December 25, 2013, 09:46:22 PM »

Well not that I know it's a couple of Fell Goblin punks, that sort of changes my plan. I actually like your suggestion. How far down is it by her best estimate? Also, can I get my Wild Caster lotto picks?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 10:21:40 PM by neverfox » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #41 on: December 25, 2013, 10:32:59 PM »

Current spells available: Ray of Frost and Protection From Evil

The lighting conditions are terrible, so outside 10 feet, you can't see anything. Based on what little you can hear, you guess the group is closer than 50 feet, but further away than 20.

As for down, it isn't a cliff. It's just a steep, narrow road (like most mountain passes). Your memory of being here before isn't perfect, but from what you remember, a tumble down the hill would be bumpy and painful if you hit any of the rocks sticking out of the ground, but certainly not a serious danger if you could manage to control it a little.

It's a risk, but so is staying where you are. What would you like to do?
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #42 on: December 25, 2013, 10:57:26 PM »

Release the grapple, Acrobatics past the goblin(s), pray, and run down the pass, making whatever Acrobatics checks are necessary to stay on my feet.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2013, 01:23:42 AM »

yikes. Running down an uneven, icy slope in the dark. Don't try this at home kids.

Spending action points, or just taking the risk?
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2013, 03:09:09 AM »

That, and I could use some good Karma. Do goblins make good sleds?
Doomed Hero

« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2013, 01:18:26 PM »

Hmm. Maybe. So you're wanting to maintain the grapple and throw both you and the goblin down the hill?

Karma could be used to determine how favorable the landing would be in terms of who lands on top, and things like that. Again, it's a risk, but certainly an interesting one.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 01:21:43 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2013, 01:19:54 PM »

Indeed. The bastard is coming with me.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2013, 02:09:33 PM »

Ok, here's the mechanical breakdown:

Ivy's grapple check to gain control was the surprise round. She succeeded. Everyone else was unaware and didn't get to act.

The goblin's action at the top of round 1 was to attack with natural weapons (which it can do because it isn't pinned). Ivy still controls the grapple. Instead of wrestling with her, it just flailed and bit. It hit twice. Ivy took 4 Piercing damage to the right arm and 4 Slashing damage to the head. (please adjust for armor and check against your wound threshold. I think you're fine, but head wounds can be nasty)

Then, Ivy tossed them both down the hill. Ivy fell/slid a total of 30 feet. You can't Acro while grappling so Ivy was at the mercy of the fall, but her Karma check was great and I added the Action point to the result, so Ivy was able to shift 2d6 of the falling damage she would have taken to the the goblin.

Ivy took 5 points of bludgeoning damage (unspecified zone, up to you where your bumps and bruises are) and 2 points of Cold damage.

The Fell Goblin took 18 points of Bludgeoning damage, which is above it's torso wound threshold, so I rolled for a random Injury. It's arm was broken. It is immune to the being stunned and fatigued, but it will still take the penalties from the Injury.

Ivy and the goblin are still grappling, and Ivy still has control of the grapple.

Ivy, please reduce your Karma by 2 points. (also, great use of the Karma rules. This is a good example of how they can be used to impressive effect)

Dunk and Kjellan, you can both see the Fell moving in. There are quite a few of them. A dozen is your guess, but it's hard to tell. There may be more that you can't see yet.

People with Low Light Vision You can see Ivy on the ground wrestling with something about 10 feet away. They are in Dim light, so it is hard to make out.

Everyone you heard the terrible howls in the dark. Things are coming for you.

This fight will be done with Block Initiative it is the party's action. Post in whatever order you want. This is round 1, everyone has a full action. Remember that most of you are currently Prone.

I'm going to do this one without a map because lighting issues are hard to show on maps. Don't worry too much about tactical movement. Just tell me your intentions and I'll work out the details. This fight should be more about the feels than the crunch anyway.
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #48 on: December 26, 2013, 02:18:58 PM »

That hurts, but it probably ended up hurting less than a tussle with two goblins and nothing but a dagger to inflict damage with. If you're gonna feel the pain, it might has well come with some cinema.
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #49 on: December 26, 2013, 02:53:04 PM »

Ivy's going to a) cry out  for some help and b) give the goblin a Pinned condition. If the goblin tries to break the grapple, throw everything at stopping it (e.g. Action Point if applicable). If no one comes to help, and nothing goes wrong, this thing is going to get a sneak attacked dagger in the eye Walking Dead style. Quick question: did anything that happened to Ivy up there cause her to drop her bow, or can it have been involved in the grappling?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 36
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Clarion Quietus (OOC) Part 3
Jump to: