Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2017, 07:02:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Our site is made by the fans for the fans. Support the Midnight community and register yourself today.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Crown of Shadows Pt.II [OoC] Part 2  (Read 93648 times)
Harrowed

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-1

« Reply #575 on: May 07, 2017, 06:48:27 PM »

So I don't really know if edges get utilized automatically or you have to say you're using them, but for the moment Avren is going to try and use his Blood of Kings edge and play the game of politics here with the help of Serapis.

I guess that would be a persuasion roll, as intimidate seems to be the wrong way to go here. If it helps he offers what he knows about the Elven trading goods, and what he's seen of their military ability from their time at Keep of the Cataracts.

I'm back from whatever goddamned plague I had.

I generally make the rolls in the background, keep the narrative cleaner but if a player sees a situation where they want to make sure that a roll is made ... cool.

It was a damned good roll.

I like the cut of your jib. How do I subscribe to your newsletter?
-RPG.net
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #576 on: May 29, 2017, 08:03:20 AM »

After dealing with the two nobles who were on the fence about helping and convincing them otherwise, Avren has several more things to do.

1: He wants to call Thane Hulmuth over when he has a moment, (don't think we ever got a direct name out of him) over and talk with him about the details of the treaty between the Fell City and the Dwarves below. He wants to make sure that he and the volunteers are not automatically part of the cleansing of the remaining cultists from the tunnels below, as they technically aren't part of House Silverbow or Lady Serapis's retinue. His argument is that they were here for work, not for fighting.
- 1 A: Although, if and when he meets back up with the rest of the volunteers and they're eager to get some vengeance for what happened to Grimm and utilize their limited warrior training they picked up against the Fell cultists, then he will help to lead them in that.
- 1 B: He's also somewhat curious what uses the Ghost Dwarves have planned for using 1/3 of the Mithral they plan on keeping for themselves... and while on the subject he's wondering if they'll be willing/able to help forge armor for him and the rest of the party.

2: With his skill in noticing what goes on around him, he probably couldn't help but notice that Theorin has been watching him like a hawk this entire time, despite his best efforts to remain distracted and busy. I imagine it reminds Avren of his time under Orc taskmasters from the slave pens which makes him uncomfortable. As I just remembered, and therefore Avren remembered, what the history of the blade he carries is, he will be curious to once again ask the man what he knows. Unless, Shelg warns him that it might not be a very good idea.

Other than that, we've already found the easy to convince nobles to help. Verador is even more stoic with being newly dead. I can't really think of anything to talk to Tellir or Shelg about that can't be discussed outside a room full of prying ears and eyes. And the last big thing that comes to mind about making "helpful" waves now that his task to the Witch Queen is done, is Avren pledging his direct services to the Fell Queen, which is something that Avren just won't do. So if there's nothing else to do, he will return to Lady Serapis's side and then wait out the scene.

Currently reading: The Phantom Tolbooth
Harrowed

« Reply #577 on: May 29, 2017, 08:33:40 AM »

2: With his skill in noticing what goes on around him, he probably couldn't help but notice that Theorin has been watching him like a hawk this entire time, despite his best efforts to remain distracted and busy. I imagine it reminds Avren of his time under Orc taskmasters from the slave pens which makes him uncomfortable. As I just remembered, and therefore Avren remembered, what the history of the blade he carries is, he will be curious to once again ask the man what he knows. Unless, Shelg warns him that it might not be a very good idea.

I'll give Arnon a chance to sound off on this.
Harrowed

« Reply #578 on: May 29, 2017, 08:38:24 AM »

Unless the Volunteers want to help in the cleansing effort below, we'll be taking a time jump forward as the preparation for moving Mithral north starts. It'll be about six months of time.

Give me some details of what your characters want to do in that time as well.

Everyone will collect 5 points, an Advance, to spend on their characters.
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #579 on: May 29, 2017, 09:31:13 AM »

Hey Har,
Teliir is going to spend the time trying to build a functioning Noble house. She plans to work closely with Serapis to figure out who is trustworthy to recruit of the people who volunteer their services (I'm sure they'll be at least as many scam artists as honest climbers).

Remembering the attack on Serapis, she will put an emphasis on loyalty of the people, and defensibility of the house itself. So pretty much exactly what you'd expect an elf raised in the fighting in the north to set up.

Given the work ahead of her, she likely wouldn't volunteer to help with the clean up, but rather establish connections with the other nobles.

How do points work in this system? Teliir is going to want to get some diplomacy-related skills. Is it one point to move a die up a step?

Dunkin stats
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #580 on: June 01, 2017, 03:29:01 AM »

To answer your questions Pheros, and given that I've got an updated book with me, I will fill in what I know of how this system works.

The Points in this system are an overall classification of how experienced and therefore powerful our characters are. This lets us enter into various Ranks which are prerequisites for some of the more powerful edges we could pick up. Out of the book the rank table is as follows:
0-19: Novice
20-39: Seasoned
40-59: Veteran
60-79: Heroic
80+ : Legendary

Every 5 points we gain allows us a single Advance, as Harrowed stated. We can use these advances in a variety of ways.
1. Gain a new edge.
2. Increase a skill that is equal to or greater than it's linked attribute by one die type. (Essentially a Climb skill at D8, keyed off of a Strength attribute of D8 would then increase to a D10.)
3. Increase two skills that are lower than their linked attributes by one die type each. (In this scenario, a Persuasion skill at D6 and a Intimidation skill at D6, keyed off of a Spirit attribute of D8 would both increase to D8)
4. Buy a new skill at D4.
5. Increase one Attribute by a die type.*
* The attribute increase may only be chosen 1 per rank and no attribute may be increased beyond a D12.
6. You may negate an Advance to rid yourself of a Hindrance. (Listed in the Hindrance section.)

Given our current level of Attributes, Skills, Edges, and taking into account that our Heroic Paths are giving us some extra edges, I'd say we're somewhere in the high end of Veteran status. Whether or not our characters have already increased our attributes this rank is up to Harrowed. As a note for prerequisites, PC's are counted as Wild Cards.

For Tellir: Using your Advance to pick up Persuasion at a D4 sounds like what you want to do. Although your skill is going to be penalized by your Charisma score if you try interacting with non-Elves and at a much bigger penalty if they realize you are an Ungral Fell. Admittedly not much of an issue in Krove/Erethor Forest, but still something to consider.

Downtime:

As for Avren - In the intervening 6 months, Avren would like to understand more about the Sword of Towers, if utilizing Kramis's abilities is allowed, he would like to send messages to the Elven scholars, maybe in the Five Towers to learn about it's history if he could. Also, while he's at it, keeping tabs on how the war is going and while he doesn't expect any sort of messages to really get through because of where he is, he would like to try and get the general status of Baden's Bluff.
- Given what he and the rest of the volunteers have gone through, he would prefer to keep the miners and the rest of them out of whatever goes on in the caves below. It's Krove's turn to deal with its problems now that the big guy is down.
- During this time, he would like to keep the miners up on their daily weapon practices in case they have to defend themselves further.
- While Avren certainly does not enjoy staying in the city, he is not about to abandon Tellir, Verador, Shelg, the Miners, or even Lady Serapis. Surviving life or death situations (true death in some cases), has helped to form some bonds that won't be easily cut.
- Finally, Avren can't help but feel more responsible for the lives of those he's come across. He would take the time to speak with Serapis and the Thane Hulmuth about what it means to be a noble and leader.

Advance: I'm torn between taking the Strong willed edge, the Charismatic edge, cutting out the Shadow as a Major Enemy- Shadow- Hinderance (but that feels wrong for the game /impossible in this world), or just increasing both Persuasion and Intimidation skills as I posted in the example above. But at this point in the game with what's happened, I think Avren will go with the Charismatic Edge.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 04:28:11 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Pheros

« Reply #581 on: June 01, 2017, 08:52:08 AM »

Ok, thanks LB. I was looking at either persuasion, or doing something to up my charisma. That happens by changing  the edge/hindrance balance, right? e.g. removing the "terrible at small talk" hindrance; but really I'm not sure how that would work given Teliir's build. Is there a social skills edge or the like she can pick up?
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #582 on: June 01, 2017, 09:58:31 AM »

For picking up a social edge yes, one of the primary ones you could do is take the Charismatic social edge like Avren is.  It grants a +2 to all Streetwise and Persuasion rolls, as well as increasing your Charisma by 2. Your charisma score has an overall effect on how NPC's perceive you. Another one you could have is the Connections Edge. Lady Serapis comes to mind. The downside is that Edge still requires the use of both Streetwise and/or Persuasion to make truly effective use out of.

The Edges are good but also picking up the skills you need at base level will help you quite a bit too.

As far as I'm aware there isn't really much of a balance issue with having more Edges than Hindrances. When removing a Hindrance is concerned, it's mostly a role playing choice and up to DM discretion. After 6 months spending the better part of your time becoming a noble of Khrove, I could see you getting rid of your loyalty to the Erunsil. Perhaps given your new found ties here, you no longer have a death wish.
Harrowed

« Reply #583 on: June 04, 2017, 09:41:49 AM »

For Tellir: Using your Advance to pick up Persuasion at a D4 sounds like what you want to do. Although your skill is going to be penalized by your Charisma score if you try interacting with non-Elves and at a much bigger penalty if they realize you are an Ungral Fell. Admittedly not much of an issue in Krove/Erethor Forest, but still something to consider.

The CHA penalty is something to keep in mind. Khrove is a specialized bubble where that isn't going to be a penalty. Outside Khrove though ...

As for Avren - In the intervening 6 months, Avren would like to understand more about the Sword of Towers, if utilizing Kramis's abilities is allowed, he would like to send messages to the Elven scholars, maybe in the Five Towers to learn about it's history if he could. Also, while he's at it, keeping tabs on how the war is going and while he doesn't expect any sort of messages to really get through because of where he is, he would like to try and get the general status of Baden's Bluff.
- Given what he and the rest of the volunteers have gone through, he would prefer to keep the miners and the rest of them out of whatever goes on in the caves below. It's Krove's turn to deal with its problems now that the big guy is down.
- During this time, he would like to keep the miners up on their daily weapon practices in case they have to defend themselves further.
- While Avren certainly does not enjoy staying in the city, he is not about to abandon Tellir, Verador, Shelg, the Miners, or even Lady Serapis. Surviving life or death situations (true death in some cases), has helped to form some bonds that won't be easily cut.
- Finally, Avren can't help but feel more responsible for the lives of those he's come across. He would take the time to speak with Serapis and the Thane Hulmuth about what it means to be a noble and leader.

Okay, I'll work with those.

Advance: I'm torn between taking the Strong willed edge, the Charismatic edge, cutting out the Shadow as a Major Enemy- Shadow- Hinderance (but that feels wrong for the game /impossible in this world), or just increasing both Persuasion and Intimidation skills as I posted in the example above. But at this point in the game with what's happened, I think Avren will go with the Charismatic Edge.

Gotcha, oh and you're right about dropping the Major Enemy Shadow Hinderance ... that one isn't happening. Unless you decide to switch sides.
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #584 on: June 04, 2017, 10:29:39 AM »

Hi all,

Sorry for dropping out for so long... as always, life interfers.

Unless, Shelg warns him that it might not be a very good idea.

Shelg is always suspiciuous of Theorins motivation. Giving him information is something he could twist around..

Pheros

« Reply #585 on: June 06, 2017, 01:07:42 AM »

I think Teliir will go with gaining a d4 for Persuasion. That seems to fit best with her new (un)life in Khrove, and hopefully will be helpful navigating the political sphere.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #586 on: July 24, 2017, 04:48:27 AM »

Sorry for kinda dropping the ball for a while there. I think I was waiting on someone to talk to me or for the scene to change but it seems like it became more of a sidelines watch the Human do things for a bit.

Anyway, back from my stupor.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #587 on: September 10, 2017, 02:00:50 AM »

Hmm, well okay then. Originally part of Avren's motivations for staying out of any conflicts had been with the idea that the remaining miners would still be alive.

Naivety thy name is Luiniel.

Can't make much of an impression with being Charismatic if you're just sitting on the sidelines. It's kind of a retcon at this point but after the initial handful of days Khrove spent driving out the remaining scavengers, Avren decided to join them. If for no other reason than it was partly because of them that all of the human miners are now dead. Since it was to make an impression, he would have donned the knights armor found in the crate. Also if the banner was found to do anything with the Fell, Avren might have brought it into use. Unless of course that hinders your plans too much.

Also what exactly do the banner of Erenland and the Knights armor do?
Harrowed

« Reply #588 on: September 17, 2017, 10:06:16 AM »

Hmm, well okay then. Originally part of Avren's motivations for staying out of any conflicts had been with the idea that the remaining miners would still be alive.

Naivety thy name is Luiniel.

Can't make much of an impression with being Charismatic if you're just sitting on the sidelines. It's kind of a retcon at this point but after the initial handful of days Khrove spent driving out the remaining scavengers, Avren decided to join them. If for no other reason than it was partly because of them that all of the human miners are now dead. Since it was to make an impression, he would have donned the knights armor found in the crate. Also if the banner was found to do anything with the Fell, Avren might have brought it into use. Unless of course that hinders your plans too much.

I'll put up a post covering that,
Harrowed

« Reply #589 on: October 18, 2017, 11:16:52 AM »

As for what exactly they do ... he's unsure about that. But he's seeing a few clues that I detailed in IC
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Crown of Shadows (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight, Harrowed)  |  Topic: Crown of Shadows Pt.II [OoC] Part 2
Jump to: