Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2019, 03:18:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Some articles do not have author names in them. If you know who the author is, let us know!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 2  (Read 151205 times)
Ghostfall
Lightbearer

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #725 on: October 10, 2013, 01:16:27 AM »

The arrival of his allies was rejuvenating to Mandag. Riding on a second wind of energy he drew back his arm and readied another axe swing. As his arm began to swing across horizontally he arc'd it down into the orc's leg. Catching the beast just above the knee, he watched as it's leg buckled but then stabilized.

Hmm. I thought that would have dropped him..

Retracting the swing, he brought the axe back upward and converted the motion into second slash. This time he arc'd the swing up, and caught the creature in the head. He could hear the tearing of flesh and breaking of bone as the blade of the axe tore into his enemy's skull. Intead of retracting, Mandag followed through completely on the second swing. He wanted to take the damn thing's head off and knew that he'd succeeded that time. A slight smirk broke out across his face as he returned to his fighting stance.

That'll do..

Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« Reply #726 on: October 10, 2013, 01:55:26 PM »

Seeing the number of Orcs quickly reduced down to two, Eirik realized they were sure to win this fight and rather than try to end the fight he began to open himself to the flow of magic and began looking around the hall for signs of it.
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #727 on: October 12, 2013, 10:10:14 AM »

Dunk's wonder at the treasure in his hand snaps as he sees the orc bite Woden.

Without thinking, he throws the Sun at the orc's back, already moving toward him as it flies.

Dunkin stats
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #728 on: October 15, 2013, 06:11:26 PM »

Nefario's knife slapped into the thigh of the Fell Orc in front of Dorin. It didn't move, but it did turn to look at the halfling with a baleful dead-eyed stare. That was all Dorin needed.

The hammer whipped around and hit the fell so hard that it's body folded like a rag doll and was launched a good ten feet before tumbling to a halt with a series of meaty thumps and sickening cracks. It twitched and reached, but it was a broken thing and it's body simply would not obey any longer.

Dunk's hurled axe slammed into the dead shadow soldier that was attacking Woden. It ignored the wound, continuing to bite down on Woden's face and neck. The bloody dwarven thane shoved hard and swung his axe, managing to push the orc back away from him and lodge his weapon deep in his enemy's leg. The leg buckled, but the Fell did not stop. It reached again, but Mandag's borrowed dwarven hatchet slammed into it's collar bone driving it down further. Then Dunk buried the wavy sun-spikes of the dwarven treasure he held deep into the Fell orc's skull. It stopped moving abruptly.

The sudden stillness was unnerving.

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
TwiceBorn
Editor

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

« Reply #729 on: October 15, 2013, 07:34:57 PM »

Kjellan, still on an adrenaline high, kept panting uncontrollably as he looked back and forth for more of the undead horrors. Ever since he had been a young lad, he had been faster than most other gnomes and dwarves he knew... but in this last melee, his speed and grappling skills had suddenly reached new heights. His senses had difficulty adapting to the change... his mind raced, as did his heart... a hundred beats a second...

But the orcs were all dead... again...

Each silent second seemed to last an eternity...

And then, he realized that it was true... he had heard Woden, and he still drew breath! The dwarrow bolted to his wounded thane's side, rattling off so fast that it was hard to make out what he was saying...

"Thane Woden! It is I, Kjellan... I'm so glad to see you alive, my liege... I knew they could never bring you down! And I'm..."

... all too happy to give you back the mantle of leadership that is rightfully yours?

He felt a mixture of relief and shame as those last thoughts popped unbidden into his mind.

The dwarrow began to inspect Woden's injuries. Before he could launch into another round of breathless questions and accolades, he glanced quickly around the room, worried all of a sudden that harm might have befallen Wendle...

Doomed Hero

« Reply #730 on: October 15, 2013, 10:25:53 PM »

Woden grinned and laughed, a wet sound that turned into a body-wracking cough that was far too quiet. He spit out a mouthfull of blood and wrapped his bleeding arm around Kjellan's shoulders.

"Alive." The Thane finished for him.

Woden looked terrible. His armor could barely be called that any longer. Tears in the metal gouged through the padding beneath and into the flesh. Vardatch rips. Arrows. Javelins. Claw rips. Bites. A clearly broken leg. A split scalp. Two missing fingers. A swollen mouth full of shattered teeth. The wet gurgle of a punctured lung. His eyes were crazed and one of them would barely open.

And he was laughing.

"You are alive!"

He sagged against the pillar that had been at his back for so long, leaving a smear of blood down the runes it was carved with.

And then, with a broken smile and a shuddering belly laugh, Dorthane Woden, The Last Lord of Durgis Rock, patted Kjellan's face with a half-mangled hand,

and died.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 01:33:20 AM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +5/-0

« Reply #731 on: October 16, 2013, 05:44:10 AM »

The exhilarated excitement surging through her veins subsided a little, allowing Amethyst to properly register that the Fell pinned to the floor under the end of her staff was not even twitching, let alone mounting any further resistance to the efforts of her more martial companions.

Lifting her head, she rather distractedly peered around, inwardly still marvelling at the surge of martial enthusiasm... only to find herself blinking in astonishment (and horror) at the horribly-wounded Woden.  A nervous smile had just lifted her lips when the Thane patted Kjellan on the head, then keeled over.

A startled squeak escaped her, before she hastily glanced around in search of aid - or renewed threats.

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #732 on: October 16, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »

Eirik had been fixated on trying to find something, anything useful in the hall full of the dead. He had called up the ability to see the flows of magic and was making his way around the hall toward the areas that presented themselves. But it was slow moving with so many dead in the way. He didn't know why but he felt as though there wasn't much time left.  The fighting had ended and he felt as though he could now search more freely.  Just as he was making his way toward a fallen Loremaster; Amethyst let out a sound of shock or surprise, Eirik looked over to her and followed her gaze.

Kjellan stood next to the now very still form of Woden Durgis. Eirik thought about going over to fallen Dwarf and trying to revive him somehow. He knew he still had a little power of his own remaining and he was skilled in the art of mundane healing, and because of Rhiann's parting gift in this moment he felt he could accomplish nearly anything set before him, but in his mind he knew this was not something he could fix for it was too late.

Eirik had always found his ability to know what would happen useful. It didn't always happen but it was frequent enough he had come to see it almost as a friend who would give him advice. But at that moment he wanted nothing to do with it. Frustrated anger began to well up inside him. He wished for the bliss of ignorance, rather than the cold, hard, truth he knew all too well. He wanted to run over to Woden and use every last ounce of his energy to fight against fate, to hammer, push back against and scratch at the wall of darkness known as death claiming him. He hadn't been able to save any of the Dwarves in the hall of the dead, he hadn't been able to save Rhiann, Eirik wanted to somehow carve out a miracle amidst the death around them all and save this one life. But the calm and level headed hand of his friend touched his shoulder and whispered in his mind and told him to wait.

What's the point of having this power if I can't save the people around me?
Pheros

« Reply #733 on: October 17, 2013, 01:41:54 AM »

Dunk smiled at his friend, broken though he was.  He knew his former thane and lifelong friend would not live more than a few breaths more, but he rather smiled at the pile of dead orcs he took with him before dying.  It was a fitting death for a dwarf, the one Woden deserved.

As he died, Dunk simply closed his friend's eyes.

"A noble death.  I would be blessed by the Sun and Moon to kill half as many when I fall. 

I would love to lay him to rest with our kin, but I fear we need to leave now or else we all will join him"

With a last look to Woden, he turned and said "Follow me" and made for a tunnel to the outside.
Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #734 on: October 17, 2013, 11:29:17 AM »

Dunkan was leaving and Eirik wasn't sure he could have stopped him from going, but that didn't mean he was going to try.
"I think we should take a moment to collect anything we might need. Travel from here on is going to be difficult enough without being under supplied."
Doomed Hero

« Reply #735 on: October 17, 2013, 12:14:50 PM »

What the hells' is yer rush, Dunkan? Woden said looking down at his own body with a mixture of resignation and amusement. I ain't quite done yet. Looking around at the bodies he nodded. Was a pretty good score at the end though. Would have been a lot fewer if the Elves' partner hadn't showed up lookin' fer you folks.

He looked up at Kjellan, his eyes burning bright with new soul-fire. He was strong and hale as he had been in life, marred only by a glowing tear in his spectral skin that marked his neck with the wound that had killed him.

Kjellan? You... Can you see me? Did ye become a Lorekeeper when I wasn't lookin'? I am dead, ain't I?

TwiceBorn
Editor

« Reply #736 on: October 19, 2013, 05:27:40 AM »

Kjellan could not believe it.

He had had cause to believe that Woden would die during the Shadow's onslaught, only to find him alive and slaying foes against all odds mere moments ago... and then to watch him gasp his last breath in the dwarrow's arms.

Hope left, returned, to be completely wrenched from him once again.

Kjellan clenched his jaws as he closed his eyes and unsuccessfully fought to stem the flow of tears that were streaming from his eyes. His chest ached unbearably. "You are alive!" were the last words Woden had spoken... and that was the last thing the dwarrow wanted to be at this very moment.

Then, with still-closed eyes and feeling the limp body in his beloved thane in his arms, Kjellan heard Woden say that he wasn't "quite done yet" before addressing the dwarrow... could Kjellan see him, asked the voice of Woden in his mind?

Kjellan opened red-rimmed eyes to see Woden standing above his own lifeless body. The dwarrow swallowed hard, then nodded slowly. "Yes, my thane... I see you," whispered Kjellan, barely audibly, in response to the spirit's question. He could not believe his eyes.

"And yes... I believe that you are dead, Sir... though I so wish you weren't... but I see you... It is so good to see you..."

Kjellan sniffed, wiped away a tear and quickly glanced around the room. Some of the others had already begun to search the area for salvage. Was he the only one that could see Woden? After all, the others had also been able to see Durgis when he manifested... Or was he going mad?

He decided that he did not care, and carried on with his murmured conversation... or insane monologue, if that was what the others perceived it to be.

"I am no loremaster, my thane, but since venturing through the Hall of the Ancestors, I... seem to be able to see and communicate with some of their spirits. Durgis is sometimes with me... can you see him?"

Kjellan did not wait for a reply from Woden before he blurted out his next thoughts.

"I am deeply ashamed to say so, my lord, but we may not have the opportunity to lay you to rest with the ancestors. What would you have us do with... your..." Kjellan was unable to finish the last sentence, trying to push away thoughts of Woden's body rising as well as his spirit, and of the decapitation that would be required to prevent the corpse from rising. But would decapitation also extinguish the spirit he so desperately wanted to cling to?

Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +5/-0

« Reply #737 on: October 19, 2013, 06:13:22 PM »

Amethyst paused, offering the whispering Kjellan a rather concerned look... before her surge of potentially-heroic optimism and confidence reasserted itself.

"I certainly think that we should salvage anything we spot that might be of use in the near future, though we might possibly have to stash it before moving into the lowlands.  Still - better that, than to leave it for the Shadow, I suspect," she quietly agreed.  "But let's be quick about it - the ones who shot at Ivy will surely be back with reinforcements all too soon."
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #738 on: October 19, 2013, 08:22:56 PM »

Amethyst's words suddenly brought Ivy back to reality. She shouldn't waste what little time they had looking around instead of healing. She grabbed hold of the protruding arrows and pulled...

Doomed Hero

« Reply #739 on: October 20, 2013, 01:00:49 PM »

The spirit of Woden slowly nodded, understanding beginning to sink in. Durgis the First stepped free of Kjellan's body and clasped arms with Woden.

"From First to Last. For a usurper, you did alright." Durgis said with a smirk on his face.

"Wasn't my grandsire's fault your line got weak. Someone had t' take over." Woden said with a shrug. "What's going on with the lad here?"

"My old helmet." Durgis said simply. "It belonged to Kurgun first. He did something to it that keeps folks like you an' I around. I think it's why the Hall was always so lively."

Woden laughed at the joke. "So what now then? I just get to follow him around instead of resting comfortably in the tomb I spent three years carving?"

"Well ye can stay if ye want. Layin' in a tomb tends to lose it's luster pretty quick though. Trust me."

"Well, two o' th' clan are still alive. I guess that means the Durgis ain't dead yet. And I guess that makes Dunk thane." Woden said, more than a little amused.

"Nope. Kjellan is. Last of my line. He's taken back the seat and Dunkun has sworn to him." Durgis said with a big grin.

"What!" Woden roared.

The shards of rubble on the ground trembled and dust kicked up as Kjellan looked off into space. The air went cold.

"Not my fault your line went weak. Someone had to take over." Durgis said with a chuckle. "Kjellan is Thane. A true Durgis sits on the Seat again. Or would, I suppose. Doubt the Seat is still intact."

"You old bastard! You knew! You did this on purpose! I cam to you on my naming day and spent three days sitting on your damned tomb, and you gave me your blessing! I did my damnedest to live up to your name!" The Hall of Relics shuddered and small stones began to rise off the ground. Breath became cloudy.

"And you did. I couldn't have done any of this any better myself. We lost the Rock, but we took the whole host down with us, and the missive is still intact." Durgis grinned. "You did just fine."

"It's a damned coup." Woden growled.

"Actually it's more like an un-coup. Your grandsire did it first."

The dead thanes stared at each other for a tense moment, then Woden sighed. "Kjellan, take up my axe. It's yours now. When you get a chance, you're going to want to make your own grip. It's tradition. Same weapon, different hands."

The stones settles. The temperature went back to it's usual crisp, but not completely uncomfortable temperature.

Kjellan realized that everyone was staring at him.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:24:59 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
TwiceBorn
Editor

« Reply #740 on: October 21, 2013, 09:07:41 PM »

Kjellan followed the ghostly exchange that only he could see with intense fascination. His jaw dropped as Durgis unveiled revelations regarding Kjellan's lineage that completely took Woden aback. He could not believe that Durgis's plans could have been so far-sighted. The dwarrow was sad that Woden had felt deceived regarding Kjellan's heritage and... but he was glad that in the end, Woden seemed to accept Kjellan's elevation to the status of Thane with reasonably good grace, and with relatively little resentment.

He could not believe the honour that was now bestowed upon him, to bear Woden's mithril axe as well as Durgis's helm and ring. Still cradling Woden's body, he reached for the fallen thane's weapon and gently pulled it from his dead hands. "My lord Woden, I thank you for the trust you have placed in me," he whispered. "As I bear your blade, I will do all I can to make you proud..."

There was so much more the dwarrow wanted to say, but the two thanes disappeared and he found himself staring at nothing but dust and pebbles settling in chill air... his companions looking back at him with concern, as though he were mad. How he longed to have had only a few moments more with those two wise lords. Kjellan wondered if Woden's spirit would inhabit his axe and manifest before him on occasion, in the same way that Durgis's spirit had done, tied as it was to his helm.

If Woden's spirit was with Kjellan or tied to the axe, then it might be logical to assume that it was no longer tethered to the thane's body, and therefore no longer at risk of animating his corpse as one of the hungry dead. Kjellan therefore decided that he would not behead his fallen liege's body, as doing so was not part of dwarven tradition.

He laid Woden gently on the ground, then rose. "May your body rest and your soul remain forever free, my lord Woden, and may Father Sun and Mother Moon always shine upon you," murmured Kjellan as he knocked on the ground three times with the butt of the thane's gleaming mithril axe at the mention of Woden's name.

Then, Kjellan looked to his companions. "Is everyone alright? Father?"

The dwarrow had not seen Wendle during the battle, and felt a deep worry well up in him as he surveyed the chamber for a sign of the old gnome.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 02:02:52 PM by TwiceBorn » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #741 on: October 21, 2013, 11:19:09 PM »

"Oh we ain't goin' anywhere, lad." Durgis' voice echoed in Kjellan's ears from somewhere nearby. "The helm calls the souls of the loyal. It always has. The oaths stopped being spoken by most a long time ago, but every Thane still speaks them when they take up the Seat. We're oathbound, and the helm ain't about to let us go."

"I'm alright, son." Wendle said moving into the room. "This is all moving a little fast for me, so I was trying to stay out of everyone's way. Are you alright?"

Seeing the blood covering Mandag's arms he pointed. "Is he alright?"
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:25:30 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
TwiceBorn
Editor

« Reply #742 on: October 27, 2013, 02:01:52 PM »

Kjellan exhaled deeply as his father came into view. "Praise the Sun and Moon, you're alright, Da…"

The adrenaline rush from the melee subsided, leaving the dwarrow feeling weak, shaky and exhausted.

His concern turned to the other wounded members of the party. "Mandag… Ivy… how bad are… Will you make it?"

The dwarrow knelt by the human warrior hesitantly, uncertain how to treat his wounds. He never had had much practice as a healer. "Can anybody help?"

Ghostfall
Lightbearer

« Reply #743 on: October 27, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »

Mandag winced as the adrenaline wore off and he finally began to feel the effects of the wounds he'd accumulated. As he spoke, his eyes stayed fixed on the dwarf he'd spent the night fighting along side.

"I'm sorry for your loss. He was truly one of the bravest I've ever seen." Mandag paused momentarily. "I would not have survived without him."

The pain had set in. It wasn't the worst he'd ever experienced, but that didn't make it any less unpleasant. He groaned and clutched his side as he stood up strait and turned to face the rest of the group.

"I'm a little banged up but I'll be fine.."

Surveying the lot of them, he was glad to see that everyone was alright, until he remembered who they were missing.

"Did our elven friends not make it?"
TwiceBorn
Editor

« Reply #744 on: October 27, 2013, 10:43:27 PM »

Kjellan frowned as Mandag spoke to him in what sounded like Erenlander to the dwarrow. The momentary inability to communicate reminded him of the enchanted pearl Woden had given him arcs earlier, so that he could pose as an engineer on a Shadow work crew. The dwarrow's basic grasp of the Traders' Tongue had improved with both the pearl's aid and repeated practice, to the point where he had ceased to use it of late. Kjellan reached into one of his belt pouches and was relieved to find the smooth, pebble-sized object was still there. He regretted not having had the opportunity of late to recharge it by Mother Moon's light.

Kjellan smiled and shrugged timidly at Mandag, thinking he could guess what the human must be saying by the solemn tone of his voice, by the odd word that Erenlander had in common with the Traders' Tongue, and by the way the man was looking at Woden's corpse… but unable to respond.

"Amethyst, Siobhan… you speak his language, don't you? Can one of you see if he will well enough to travel? Can anyone treat his wounds?"

Then, Kjellan looked down at his own bloodied shoulder where the fell orc had bitten a chunk of flesh off of him. "I hope that the hunger cannot infect the living," he mumbled. 
Ghostfall
Lightbearer

« Reply #745 on: October 27, 2013, 11:19:30 PM »

It took a moment for Mandag to realize it, but it then occurred to him that he'd slipped back into his native tongue. He shook his head a little as he turned back towards Kjellan.

"Sorry. I suppose my head's still a bit rattled. I'll need some patching up, but I think I'm fine to at least get out of here."
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #746 on: October 28, 2013, 12:21:12 AM »

Ivy looked up and spit some of her own hair out of her mouth, tossing an arrow shaft to the ground. "My leathers and cloak slowed the arrows down. It looks worse than it is and I've done a little to help it out. If we had a couple of days with a little less excitement, I'd have myself not much more than some nice scars. But they'll be coming, won't they?"
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 12:23:58 AM by neverfox » Logged
Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #747 on: October 28, 2013, 04:15:06 AM »

Eirik looked up from searching the hall when Kjellan asked for aid in treating wounds, and he began making his way over to them. "I don't know that we'll get a couple of days, but I'll do what I can to help get us moving faster." He paused, looking at all three of them, diagnosing the severity of their wounds. The power of Rhiann's spell still filled him with confidence and he was sure he would be able to see to their wounds even without all of the proper tools on hand. "All of you stay here until I'm done checking your wounds."

He first looked at Mandag. Taking a small piece of torn cloth he began to clean the worst areas around the wounds. "Well, the good news is that most of the blood wasn't yours and none of your wounds are too severe. Most of them look like they've already started to clot and I don't see any signs of infection starting. But while your wounds were superficial, the loss of blood has dehydrated you. He pulled his water skin and handed it to Mandag. "Take small sips every few minutes. Too much and you'll start to feel sick.

He then moved to Kjellan and kneeled down look at his shoulder wound. He cleaned it with a bandage and saw that it was deep. Eirik wished he'd had some fresh bandages to use but there wasn't any on hand. So he pulled out his dagger and began to cut strips of his his tunic away from the bottom layer. The leather strips were tough to cut away, but they would provide a solid barrier that would bind well and wouldn't bleed through so easily. A few minutes later he had a solid looking bandage around Kjellan's arm. "There, that should hold for now. The bite wound on your arm was deep but luckily it didn't seem to tear through any major organs. Sorry about the stiff binding, you'll want to make sure and move it around a little or else it will become very sore." A small smile suddenly found its way onto his face. Also, I'm not entirely sure if the bite was infectious or not... but you'll be needing to eat a lot of meat if you want to heal properly. For some reason at that moment, Eirik found it almost hysterical that he could make a joke despite the atmosphere of the situation they were all in, and he began to laugh.

Pheros

« Reply #748 on: October 28, 2013, 09:40:01 PM »

As the human surveyed his wounded friends, he shrugged off the gash in his arm and began inspecting the marmot hole to make sure it was clear and would lead them away from the Rock and to safety.  Occasionally he placed his ear to the ground or a wall, hoping to hear nothing.
TwiceBorn
Editor

« Reply #749 on: October 28, 2013, 10:31:53 PM »

Kjellan looked deeply troubled as Eirik made the remark regarding the potential infection in the wound, and the requirement that the dwarrow consume large quantities of meat in order to heal properly. It took him a moment to realize that Eirik was jesting. Initially, he felt angry that the human would make light of a serious matter, and at such an inopportune moment… but then he too began to chuckle. "A sense of humour is good in times like these… I almost forgot what it was like to have one…Thank you, Eirik… And not just for the patch job..."

« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 09:57:30 PM by TwiceBorn » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 2
Jump to: