Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2019, 01:25:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

If you are unsure how a given part of the site will work, try using the help page, it can help you use codes and navigate the site.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Clarion Quietus (OOC) Part 2  (Read 204277 times)
Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« Reply #1225 on: November 12, 2013, 03:18:50 PM »

Awesome, good to see the story moving along.

Well I guess now that Eirik is turning his own clothing into bandages, there is a reason to use the Elves traveling clothing.
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +5/-0

« Reply #1226 on: November 12, 2013, 03:57:52 PM »

Argh!

Sorry.

When RL's not been kicking my !&£%&, my ISP's been unreliable.  Once again, trying to catch up now....

Edit: As a 'system' query... it's possible in PF to use Detect Magic to study an enchanted item and work out its purpose and how to activate it.  Is that possible with a Midnight Charm?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 04:08:21 PM by Exile » Logged

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #1227 on: November 12, 2013, 04:47:40 PM »

Yes, that is how you would usually do so in PF.  Midnight charms are unusal in that they are innate magic, but I think if you have it in hand you can.
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #1228 on: November 12, 2013, 08:56:14 PM »

Detect Magic only works on Channeled and Divine magic. I explain this away as detect magic being sort of like a tool to detect anomalies.

Innate magic isn't detectable with that tool, because there is no anomaly. That's the way the object is supposed to be.

It's more complicated than that, but you get the idea.

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #1229 on: November 13, 2013, 04:22:47 AM »

*nods*  I suspected that'd be the case, but thought it'd be a good idea to check.

Should Amethyst have any idea of how to identify a charm by some other means?

And I thought I'd try to work out what kit had been grabbed, if only so that I (and any other late returnees) could see what'd been snaffled:

• Bayal's Bow -- Eirik
    1 Masterwork Elven Shortsword -- Amethyst
    2 Masterwork Snow Elf Fighting Knives -- Eirik (both)
    2 Elven Cloaks -- Amethyst, Eirik
    2 pairs of Elven Boots -- Dunk, Eirik
    2 pairs of Elven traveling clothes -- Amethyst, Eirik
    2 masterwork backpacks -- Amethyst, Dunk
    1 reddish agate the size of a baseball (something about the stone resonates to Siobhan) -- Amethyst / Siobhan
    1 exceptional quality map of the kingdom of Erenland (old) -- Eirik
    1 Masterwork Disguise kit (4 more uses) -- Ivy
    1 Masterwork Healer's kit (3 more uses) -- Eirik
    Two sacks of herbal tea (32 doses) -- Amethyst (both)
    1 Spell Talisman of Invisibility -- Eirik
    1 Spell Talisman of Disguise Self -- Eirik
    1 Spell Talisman of Haste -- Eirik
    5 unidentified Charms -- Amethyst

Wrath and Fury -- Dunk
    The Axe of Durgis -- Kjellan
    1 Masterwork Earthbreaker hammer -- Amethyst / Siobhan
    1 Masterwork battleaxe -- Eirik
    1 suit of Masterwork Breastplate -- Dunk?
    1 Masterwork Chain Shirt -- Kjellan?
    1 Masterwork Heavy Shield -- Dunk
    2 stones with an aura of Conjuration. Likely used to summon something. -- Ivy

Orcish vardatch and quiver of javelins -- Eirik
    Heavy steel shield, studded leather, hand axe, light hammer, breastplate -- Eirik
    Lightest-weight shield that she could find -- Amethyst

various normal quality axes, hammers, shields, uterucks, waraxes, chain armors and breastplate, as well as orcish vardatches, shields, javelins, and studded leather armor.

All equipment is sized for elves, dwarves or orcs, and will require craft checks to alter for characters of significantly different sizes or builds.

Please pardon my ignorance, but what's an Earthbreaker hammer? (Now found in the PFSRD)  It sounds impressive, and therefore at least potentially worth taking (even if only to hide it from the Shadow forces somewhere in the tunnels). Wink

And is a fairly short human close enough in size to an elf that the elven clothing would be wearable (if not necessarily a good fit) without conversion efforts?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 08:01:42 AM by Exile » Logged
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #1230 on: November 13, 2013, 10:05:39 AM »

Isn't the earthbreaker the hammer Dorin grabbed?  Also dunk isn't taking the breast plate armor...too much for someone trying to be a scout and guide.

Dunkin stats
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #1231 on: November 13, 2013, 10:22:31 AM »

I'm very happy to be corrected: that's part of the point for posting the list. Wink

You said that Dunk would "armour up", so I took a guess at him grabbing the bit of masterwork armour that didn't seem to have been taken by anyone else.  Apologies for assigning you the wrong thing.
Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #1232 on: November 13, 2013, 12:07:06 PM »

According to the 2nd Edition guide, Elves don't usually grow as big as humans do. So you as a fairly short Erenlander woman should actually be about perfect in size for their clothing.

A lot of the stuff Eirik is carrying is actually for use as the situation calls for. If we know the enemy is coming, he's going to armor up. If he's scouting, he'll be in lighter armors. Different weapons for different situations. Ect.
Pheros

« Reply #1233 on: November 13, 2013, 12:36:27 PM »

I meant the shield and axes. That should be enough for him. Wanted to save some stuff for the rest of the group.
Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #1234 on: November 13, 2013, 01:27:59 PM »

Hmm, yeah I guess I did let myself get carried away by all of the shiny loot. If anyone actually wants any of what Eirik got, because his name came up more than anyone else in the loot list Amethyst made, go ahead.

In another note, I made it to Insurgent Spy. Woot!
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #1235 on: November 13, 2013, 11:38:47 PM »

Wow, great work, Exile. Ivy could definitely use the kit, but as she hinted IC, unless someone stronger can carry it around, it would be quite a burden at 8 lbs.

Doomed Hero

« Reply #1236 on: November 14, 2013, 02:49:59 AM »

Here's a decent idea of what an Earthbreaker looks like
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #1237 on: November 14, 2013, 05:04:47 AM »

Crumbs.  That's quite some hammer.

Well, even if no one else was taking that, we could wedge it in a tunnel behind us as a decent obstacle. Tongue

I'll have a shot at updating the list today, and see about replacing the hammer with something else for Amethyst to pass to Siobhan in the IC post.  I'll also refigure Amethyst's carrying capacity, and see if she can haul around the disguise kit for Ivy: she's already on a move of 20 whenever she's lugging around her pack, so she might be able to take a bit more without further slowing down.

Doomed Hero

« Reply #1238 on: November 16, 2013, 09:35:01 PM »

That is effectively it for the Durgis Rock portion of the adventure. Things are going to get a little less dwarf-centric for a while.

Like the last big arc, I'd like everyone to PM me their two favorite character moments, starting from when the smaller party members slipped into the feast hall to assassinate drunken goblins, all the way through this sunset over the ruin.

I'll compile them, core them down, and post them for a final round of voting. The winner gets a campaign trait appropriate to the action that won them the honor.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:38:14 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
TwiceBorn
Editor

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

« Reply #1239 on: November 17, 2013, 01:36:55 PM »

DH:

(click to show/hide)

Doomed Hero

« Reply #1240 on: November 17, 2013, 02:48:15 PM »

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 06:50:18 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Pheros

« Reply #1241 on: November 17, 2013, 06:23:08 PM »

Yeah, I had it on my item lust, but forgot as well. I like the current flow of the story DH so edit as needed.
TwiceBorn
Editor

« Reply #1242 on: November 18, 2013, 10:36:21 PM »

That is effectively it for the Durgis Rock portion of the adventure. Things are going to get a little less dwarf-centric for a while.

Like the last big arc, I'd like everyone to PM me their two favorite character moments, starting from when the smaller party members slipped into the feast hall to assassinate drunken goblins, all the way through this sunset over the ruin.

I'll compile them, core them down, and post them for a final round of voting. The winner gets a campaign trait appropriate to the action that won them the honor.

DH,

I sent you a PM with my votes… but the message does not show in my ATS Outbox. Can you please confirm whether or not you got it?

On another note, I wish there were something we could award you… you've done an amazing job as PbP DM for this game. Your descriptions are vivid and evocative/atmospheric, characterization of NPCs is solid, and you sure as shit know how to create suspense and tension. It's been an honour and a privilege to be a part of this game, and I hope it lasts for years to come!

Thanks also to the other players -- it's been a blast!
Fates Chagrin
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #1243 on: November 18, 2013, 10:51:45 PM »

I fully agree with Kjellan's statement. It would be nice to do something cool for the DM in charge of the best PBP I've been involved with.

Also Kjellan, when sending your PM's, there is a small check box on the bottom left of the text area that allows you to save an outbox copy of what you wrote.
TwiceBorn
Editor

« Reply #1244 on: November 18, 2013, 10:54:51 PM »

Also Kjellan, when sending your PM's, there is a small check box on the bottom left of the text area that allows you to save an outbox copy of what you wrote.

Ah yes, that's what I forgot to do… thanks for the reminder.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #1245 on: November 18, 2013, 11:44:39 PM »

Aw, thanks guys.  oops
Doomed Hero

« Reply #1246 on: November 18, 2013, 11:47:14 PM »

DH,

I sent you a PM with my votes… but the message does not show in my ATS Outbox. Can you please confirm whether or not you got it?

I got it. I'm going to compile them once everyone gets a chance to chime in.
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #1247 on: November 20, 2013, 04:51:03 AM »

I'm still trawling through for ideas.  And trying to remember the ones I've already had, so that I can compare them. Wink

But yes: DH's work with this would be impressive even if we only looked at longevity - few games last anywhere close to this long, let alone manage to do so while remaining entertaining. Smiley

Would Amethyst have had a chance to Detect Magic and apply Spellcraft (+9, or +11 if Heroism is still in effect) to the conjuring stones to figure out what they actually do, while moving through the marmot tunnels?  That seems to be about as good a chance to concealment as the group'll get, any time soon.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 05:14:44 AM by Exile » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #1248 on: November 20, 2013, 12:35:40 PM »

there's not much of a chance of doing it while moving. If we assume that you took a few short breaks along the way, maybe.

The thing about charms is that they are innate magic, so they don't give off a magical glow. They usually have clues built into them as to their nature, but those clues tend to be very cultural.

Growing up with Grandmother, Amethyst able to recognize a charm when she sees one. Figuring out what they actually do is another matter entirely. Usually that takes some magical experimentation.
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #1249 on: November 20, 2013, 12:37:55 PM »

Sorry - I thought that the conjuration stones giving off an aura would mean there was something there to study.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Clarion Quietus (OOC) Part 2
Jump to: