Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2017, 01:22:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

If you are unsure how a given part of the site will work, try using the help page, it can help you use codes and navigate the site.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Meta Thread (Clarion Quietus and Quietus Clarion)  (Read 47533 times)
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #200 on: January 01, 2017, 05:06:45 PM »

It's 4th level. I sort of wanted to do a case by case discovery of your individual abilities but this is just more of an awakening.

Currently reading: The Phantom Tolbooth
Jester
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« Reply #201 on: January 01, 2017, 05:15:05 PM »

Thanks for clarifying it for me
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #202 on: April 17, 2017, 01:49:26 AM »

A new addition I'm adding to your Action Points system.

If the group happens to feel stuck in a situation and either wants to petition the GM for some advice for continuing on, or would like to see the situation change in a dramatic way, I'll allow you to spend 3 action points for either of these options.

PM me on things you may want to see happen and I'll see if I can make it work/feel appropriate.

Examples include:
- Having a 3rd party show up when things are looking bad during a fight.
- Activating a higher level Heroic Path ability for dramatic effect.
- Having an NPC offer a new choice during a long winded scene.
- Making that character you were sure was dead get up for 1 last round.
- Petitioning me to change the world in some fashion you think would be cool.
- Changing something about your character overnight.

Anything else you can think of. Subject to DM approval, of course.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #203 on: May 03, 2017, 04:00:17 PM »

To all of my players:

I'm sorry for the radio silence that has once again settled here. I am still running the games but I am officially instigating a 10 day hiatus that I should have posted last week while Finals are approaching for this semester.

With summer incoming I should have a decent amount of time to post more often than I have been. To the remaining members of Clarion Quietus's game that are still paying attention, I hope that your lives settle down to a more steady arrangement and you are able to chime in again.

Quietus Clarion's players I am sorry for the break in the game once more and hope you will stay in the game.

Still recruiting:

And again, to anyone else who's reading this, if you're interested in joining either side, please let me know either here or in a Private Message and we can discuss joining the game:
Jester
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #204 on: May 03, 2017, 04:16:25 PM »

Rash'Gar will be awaiting your return.

I personally enjoy this immensely. Hopefully we get a couple of more people interested in taking part.
Siona33
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #205 on: May 05, 2017, 03:15:55 PM »

Sure, Luiniel, take  your time. . @Jester: Yes more people would ne nice.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 03:24:13 PM by Siona33 » Logged
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #206 on: May 07, 2017, 08:44:38 PM »

Good luck with finals.  Things are steadying out for me now, so I'll be around this summer

Dunkin stats
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +5/-0

« Reply #207 on: May 12, 2017, 04:10:19 AM »

Belated good luck from me, too.

I am desperately hoping that my own RL is calming down a bit - or at least setting into a more regular form of stress.

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #208 on: May 15, 2017, 02:35:46 AM »

Well okay, it was a little longer than anticipated, but we are back.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #209 on: June 18, 2017, 02:18:24 PM »

Okay folks, so if you can read this, I just found it a lot more difficult to access this site. I don't know if its just me or not, but this has me worried about the continuation of the game. I've had websites pulled out from under me before and its definitely feeling like this might be what's happening here. I hope that it's just me but I can't be sure yet until we get some moderator feedback.

Just a heads up.
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #210 on: June 25, 2017, 11:23:26 AM »

Posting shortly
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #211 on: July 04, 2017, 01:33:31 AM »

Hey guys, so I was just browsing a different game that I'm a part of and some of the things the DM implemented are very good ideas. I think I'll follow suit with the idea of just having everyone start making passive skill checks, taking 10, on various things and then adding the modifiers. This would primarily be for things like Perception, Survival, Knowledge Checks, or anything else you can just take a 10 on. Even skills that you normally wouldn't. I think it will drastically reduce the amount of time in certain scenes as some Characters will just succeed if there's a base DC to beat. Also this will allow you guys to see who is good at what and then have more time to think of creative solutions to things.

Of course if you wish to roll for yourselves in hopes of rolling higher, or opposed rolls, will still need to be checked for but that's nothing new.

I have no idea why I didn't think of this before, or if I did, I may have forgotten somewhere along the way.
Jester
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #212 on: July 04, 2017, 08:15:07 AM »

Sounds fine to me.

As I've said in the past I just like the storyline.
Siona33
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #213 on: July 05, 2017, 01:50:47 PM »

Sounds good to me. As with Jester im here for the Story.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 01:53:08 PM by Siona33 » Logged
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #214 on: July 13, 2017, 12:00:28 PM »

No problem here.

J
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #215 on: July 13, 2017, 05:09:13 PM »

That works
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #216 on: August 09, 2017, 02:52:53 PM »

Extremely belatedly - works for me, too.  "You're competent enough to manage this" is a good option for GMs to have to keep things moving along.

Another option I've seen used is to have a pool of pre-rolled d20 results for people: the GM just taps into those as required.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #217 on: August 09, 2017, 03:58:20 PM »

Huh, the pre rolled pool is an extremely interesting idea. Just have people roll 5-10 times in advance and use that when things slow down.
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #218 on: August 09, 2017, 04:06:42 PM »

I've seen a GM work with a single (huge) table of d20 results for everyone and everything - whatever roll comes up for however many charatcers (player- or not), he just ticks off that many in order.  So no one player has their own good or bad luck with dice, superstitions over *how* a die should be rolled or re-rolled don't bog down play, etc.

Either way, it can allow the GM to fudge things a little.  Want to spare a player that 1 you can see coming up next?  Well, the enemy had to make a Perception check just there.  Want to give someone *other* than the luckiest player the chance to critical?  Throw in another check for something or other, to delay that 20.  Of course, for that sort of reason, some players profoundly mistrust it - any die not in their hands is to be viewed with the deepest of suspicion! Wink
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #219 on: August 10, 2017, 01:30:15 AM »

Oh okay. Interesting... it adds a certain degree of stacking the story with easy to write moments by effectively preloading what happens. Which is more interesting than just having everyone take 10. Then of course as the GM I can find reasons in the narrative to shake things up while still working within the parameters I've set for myself.

Of course I do understand the player mentality of rolling their own dice as I myself prefer that. If that dice comes up as a 2 on my saving throw against Deathblade Poison, it will be by my own hand!
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #220 on: August 10, 2017, 03:51:14 AM »

When running games IRL, I've often told players to just "give me a roll" - trying to train them into trusting me to tell them the results (and what it was even for) afterwards.  That way, I can leave the dice in players' hands while still doing something to cushion people from a run of horrible luck, or from failing a check that the player thinks absolutely must not be failed.  It also covers some of the same problems as using the single huge table: it makes it harder for those players who view the GM as the enemy to nit-pick and time-waste (a search for every possible bonus and exemption can usually be avoided).

But it's not really possible here, where die-rolling is a multi-player event involving forum code.

So... personally, I'd be quite in favour of both the "you're competent enough to..." option (particularly good for general Perception checks for what could be considered "spot the fairly obvious", and for Survival efforts while moving long-distance overland where things are likely to average out over time) and the use of a batch of pre-rolled results.

If the players pre-roll and post results, they can 'own' them as their own good or bad luck - but can also potentially try to 'game' bad results or delay good ones by pushing for more or fewer checks to be made.  If the GM makes them and has an unseen pool of them, then the players lose the degree of involvement in determining their own characters' fates that rolling the dice grants.  Take your pick as to which is preferable (I'd probably go for the latter, myself - mix my results in with everyone and everything else's).

Either way, the option remains to make specific rolls for special things, if time permits.

But here, having them pre-rolled could speed things up quite a lot - though it'd put more of an onus on you as the GM to remember all our bonuses and oddities (and speaking as someone whose character is built on such things, I can safely say that's not necessarily a minor task).
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #221 on: August 10, 2017, 11:09:50 AM »

Posting shortly
Siona33
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #222 on: August 11, 2017, 03:14:52 PM »

These pre- rolls seem interesting. Nothing against it. Can anyone tell me how this works? I have never used it or seen it in use.
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #223 on: August 11, 2017, 04:47:51 PM »

The idea is basically that it'll almost always be the GM/DM who chooses not only when a roll should be made, but what it should be made against.  And the sheets are readily accessible for the GM here, so he can check bonuses as easily as the players could.

Thus, if there's a pool of d20 rolls available, the GM can simply take the next one in line, add the bonus, and have a result - and can therefore set about posing the results as soon as he wants them.  It takes out the need to ask players for rolls, wait for them to post to the forum, double-check that they didn't include any typos (I'm pretty sure I've asked the forum to roll d2 rather than d20 in the past!), and only then get to continue writing.

Complexities can arise - e.g. the options for use of Karma in this game - but almost all of those can be covered by a player requesting something in their pose... which is what would have to happen anyway, if they wanted to make a Sense Motive check for a specific purpose, or call on Karma to tweak the story, or anything else the GM can't anticipate on their behalf.  Players still direct their characters and choose what they actively try to do... but the GM gets to move things along more quickly in between the points where players make active choices.

As for how the pools of roll results are generated... it can be as simple as the GM noting down the results (in the order they're rolled) of 10 or 20 or 100 die rolls.  He ticks each one off as it's used; whenever another d20 result is needed, he moves on to the next.

The idea's simply that it saves time: rather than "everyone make Perception checks" taking a matter of days to resolve (or weeks, if Luiniel tries waiting for me!), Luiniel can check everyone's results while he's writing, and just keep going with the story.  Should something critical come up, he can pause there and emphasise its potential importance - so that people have the chance to spend Action Points, activate abilities, etc.  But that's something he'd be doing in 'normal' running of the game anyway.
Siona33
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #224 on: August 12, 2017, 10:51:55 AM »

Thank you. I can see where it can save time.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Meta Thread (Clarion Quietus and Quietus Clarion)
Jump to: