Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 10, 2019, 08:36:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

You can enable or disable the quick reply box in your profile, be sure to change the settings to suit your own preferences.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Meta Thread (Clarion Quietus and Quietus Clarion)  (Read 93604 times)
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« on: June 10, 2011, 09:28:54 AM »

This thread is for discussion of the actual nuts and bolts of how the game is run. Note that this is not another OOC thread. That thread  is for the discussion of mechanics as they immediately apply (like combat). This thread is for the discussion of longer-term and broader scope questions and ideas of how to make the game run more smoothly, or questions about recurring rules issues (like how Readied Actions work in a PbP game).

Players in both games are encouraged to participate in discussions. I'm running the games in the same style with the same rules, so when I ask for input or a majority vote, I'm asking Everyone, not just one game or the other.

First Order of Business-

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
Doomed Hero

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 09:29:02 AM »

DH, now that we're using mechanics, does it make sense to have a thread dedicated to tracking temporary modifications to stats, e.g. Vit and Wounds, conditions, Karma, attack bonuses etc., rather than modifying the character sheet in the Book of Legends? We could create one post per character and put all currently relevant stats in it, modifying as we go.

Neverfox posted this idea in the CQooc thread as a means of tracking temporary adjustments. Basically it would mean that everyone would make condensed numbers blocks for their combat stats.

I like this idea, but i'm thinking of logistical issues form having to switch from one thread to another. Lets put it to a group vote. I'm in favor of it, but I'll only use it and enforce it if the majority is on board.

Votes, folks?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 09:31:04 AM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-0

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 09:52:38 AM »

I'd back it - especially given the possibility of scenes being put on hold due to RL.  A 'hard' record of vital statistics makes sense to me.  And it being in one place makes it a lot easier for DH to consult and, for example, see that Ivy isn't Staggered. Wink

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 10:27:52 AM »

I'm also in favor of this.

Currently reading: Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series; The Hero of Ages.
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 02:22:28 PM »

I'm not opposed, though I foresee lots of flipping between this and the Books of Legends/Shadows.  I'm happy keeping current values updated in the BoL/S in italics next to the full values, but those are long and hard to flip through. 

Basically, whatever works best for you, DH.

Dunkin stats
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 02:42:49 PM »

From the Wyrd Wild Caster ability:
Your effective caster level for determining which spells you are able to cast is equal to 1/2 your character level.
Is this rounding up or down? Obviously, the Wyrd has two 1st level spells at character level 1 (which implies that it might round up) but it could just be that that's an exception to the rule.

TwiceBorn
Editor

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 05:03:32 PM »

I'm neutral on where/how to record changes in hit points, etc. Whatever works best for the DM.

Matt
Lightbearer

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 05:36:13 PM »

What about adding a section to the bottom of each character sheet for current status?
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 05:38:42 PM »

I like it.
Jester
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 06:23:14 PM »

I'm fine with whatever works best for the DM.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 06:52:30 PM »

From the Wyrd Wild Caster ability:Is this rounding up or down? Obviously, the Wyrd has two 1st level spells at character level 1 (which implies that it might round up) but it could just be that that's an exception to the rule.

Round up, as per wizard spell progression.

Also, it occurs to me now that the randomization effect and list doesn't work exactly as I'd like. For now, please pick 4 first level spells. More details to come when I have time to do a full explanation and overhaul of the ability description.

Essentially, when you gain a new spell level, you'll have a full list of four spell possibilities. Any time you successfully drain spell energy from a spell being cast, if that spell is of a level that you can cast, you'll be able to drop one of the spells on your list and add that spell.

That's the rough idea anyway.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 07:00:36 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Johanas
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +2/-0

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 07:33:22 PM »

I am always up for trying new things. Count me in.
Johanas
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +2/-0

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 07:37:33 PM »

Anyone not completely familiar with the rules: Delaying an action is different than Readying an action, though they are similar.

Readying an action is like setting a trap. When the trigger condition is met, the action occurs. This can actually interrupt or supersede the actions of others, or even completely negate them (I ready an action to sidestep ten feet if he charges me). Readied actions can only be standard actions, and do not change your initiative order. Also, if the trigger condition isn't met, the readied action is lost.

Delaying an action is simply waiting. You can jump in whenever you want, but cannot interrupt another action. Essentially, you go immediately following the preceding character. You get your full round action, and your order in the initiative changes accordingly.

To give you an example of the difference, with a readied action you could run up and push someone out of the way of an arrow. (charging is a standard action as long as you havent moved yet in the round, and only move your base speed) With
 a delayed action you could see the arrow coming and decide to move, but you'd be a moment too late, could catch your injured companion and shoot back. (move as normal, catch companion for free, fire as standard.)

Make sense?

Doomed Hero

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 10:51:39 AM »

I think we have a majority on the Combat Tracker subject.

Here's what I'd like:

Someone who's good at formatting, I'd like you to make a blank template of combat relevant data and use the Code tool to post it here for everyone to steal and fill in.

For those of you that aren't code savvy, basically there will be a "quote box" but instead of a quote it will have raw html code. You just need to copy it, paste it into your reply when you want to post your combat tracker, and fill in the blanks with your own numbers.

I'd like the good guys to post theirs first. Bad guys you can start when they're done. One thread for both games
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2011, 01:24:05 AM »

I'm cool with that.
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 05:29:45 AM »

Do we have anyone who's particularly good at forum-coding?  If not, I can possibly try to blodge something together.
Gabboge
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 07:55:02 AM »

Don't look at me. I'm a graphics designer. We just come up with idea and pretty pictures, dreamweaver is as deep as I go into programing.

\"No Mr.Bond..... I expect you to die!\"  -Travis.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2011, 12:07:00 AM »

Ok, so all you need to do is copy and paste the stuff in the grey box below into a new reply, and replace all the Xs with your characters info. As the game progresses, just update the numbers as necessary.

Code:
[u][b]Name[/b][/u]

Vitality x/x
Wounds x/x

AC: x

CMD: +x

[table]
[tr][td]Body Area[/td][td]Armor Type[/td][td]Bludgeon DR    [/td][td]Pierce DR    [/td][td]Slash DR    [/td][td]Damage Threshold[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]1) Head[/td][td]xxx[/td][td]x[/td][td]x[/td][td]x[/td][td]x[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]2-4) Torso[/td][td]type[/td][td]x[/td][td]x[/td][td]x[/td][td]x[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]5) Right Arm[/td][td]type[/td][td]x[/td][td]x[/td][td]x[/td][td]x[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]6) Left Arm[/td][td]type[/td][td]x[/td][td]x[/td][td]x[/td][td]x[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]7-8) Right Leg[/td][td]type[/td][td]x[/td][td]x[/td][td]x[/td][td]5[/td][/tr]

[tr][td]9-10) Left Leg[/td][td]type[/td][td]x[/td][td]x[/td][td]x[/td][td]x[/td][/tr]
[/table]

BAB: +x

CMB: +x

Weapon Name: +x, dx+x

Weapon Name: +x, dx+x

+x Fort
+x Ref
+x Will

Action Points: x

Current Status Effects:

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 12:12:02 AM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 08:55:10 PM »

The game is moving along slower than I'd like. I understand that real life gets in the way so I've been brainstorming some ways to help speed things up.

I check the site an average of three times a day and try to respond as quickly as I can to anything new. There are a couple of players who are my real world buddies and when things directly concern their characters I usually just shoot them a text message.

If any of you folks who have never actually shook my hand are willing to give me a phone number or a facebook invite, I can send you a quick note when you're needed in game.

You can shoot me a phone number in PM on this site or-

You can find my facebook page here if that's the best way of contacting you- http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=702815855

Just remember to tell me who you're playing.
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2011, 03:50:54 PM »

Not quite the reaction you had in mind, eh, DH?
Jester
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 06:25:43 PM »

I am in two other PBEM Pathfinder Campaigns. The requirements in both are minimum of one post per day. It seems to work for both of them and as the story picks up speed we post sometimes three or four each per day. Group size is 6 in one 7 in the other. Not sure the best way to get people more involved. Just my thoughts.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2011, 06:32:31 PM »

It's not really about getting more people involved. It's about making sure the ones that are already involved are a little more diligent about checking.

Right now there's a lot of people involved, but that just means I need extra effort from everyone to make sure it doesn't bog down. It'll speed back up as soon as this encounter is done and the groups split up again.
wolfen_child
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2011, 06:57:04 PM »

Honestly, I check Facebook considerably less than I check my email. I can give you my number as I have unlimited text messages if that works for you, DH.

Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2011, 06:58:28 PM »

Sorry again for my own recent delay - that was incompetence rather than lack of diligence, per se.  I was sure I'd posted!
Doomed Hero

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2011, 07:07:03 PM »

Honestly, I check Facebook considerably less than I check my email. I can give you my number as I have unlimited text messages if that works for you, DH.

That works great. Just send me a Private Message with the number.

Anyone else who wants to follow suit, go ahead.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Meta Thread (Clarion Quietus and Quietus Clarion)
Jump to: