Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 12, 2019, 07:43:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

You can enable or disable the quick reply box in your profile, be sure to change the settings to suit your own preferences.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Meta Thread (Clarion Quietus and Quietus Clarion)  (Read 93639 times)
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2011, 02:57:39 PM »

1 point per level per night of rest, starting with wounds.

This can be increased with long term care and full bed rest

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2011, 02:58:57 PM »

It's also too bad that none of the good guys took Cure Minor wounds as one of their innate magic spells.  There was a Midnight game I was in where I played an Elfling and it seemed like that only thing keeping us going through the early levels were the additional 5-12 hit points spread around the party a day.   Our group was too afraid of being located by Astiraxes to use Channeled magic.

Currently reading: Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series; The Hero of Ages.
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2011, 03:24:34 PM »

There is no Cure Minor in Pathfinder because it would allow free unlimited healing (no limit on zero-level spells). Otherwise, I would have taken it.

Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2011, 03:48:10 PM »

I thought rather specifically we had a discussion that Midnight rules superseded the Pathfinder spell rules as far as spell-casting was concerned.  Innate Magic shouldn't change and Channeled magic 0-th level spells were still limited as well.  I'll check again to make sure.
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »

Well, if that's the case, I'm bummed. I would have taken Minor for sure.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #55 on: November 06, 2011, 03:57:41 PM »

Hmm, well normally I'm against letting a person change their characters once a game has begun but, why not ask Doomed if you can maybe switch one of your Innate Magic spells around.  I don't recall ever seeing you use any of those spells and you also have the benefit of the fact you chose based on limited information out-of-game, another thing is that if anyone could do it for in-game reasons your character with her Wyrd path does that spell change thing all the time.  Doomed might just veto it but it's still worth trying, I think.  Also, if you want even more in-game reasoning, Xein did actually use Cure Minor wounds on himself at some point.  Your character being barely alive at the time, just might not have noticed the fact and subconsciously grabbed onto the magic.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 04:01:33 PM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #56 on: November 06, 2011, 05:00:25 PM »

That works for me. Go ahead an make the change.
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2011, 11:05:18 AM »

Ok. So, I come from Pathfinder experience into Midnight, as opposed to the other way around. And since I don't have the core book handy, what are the Midnight rules for 0-level spells?
Doomed Hero

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2011, 12:54:45 PM »

It's detailed in the Magecraft feat-

Magecraft [Channeling]

Prerequisites (Hermetic only): Literacy in at least one language in which you are fluent.

Benefit: When you gain this feat, you must choose the magical tradition with which you are connected. You then become a channeling spellcaster and gain benefits and abilities as described below. Regardless of the tradition chosen, the character gains knowledge of prestidigitation, three other 0-level spells of his choice, and one 1st-level spell of his choice. He may then cast a number of those 0-level spells per day equal to 3 + his spellcasting ability modifier. If the caster exceeds this limit, treat all 0-level spells as 1st-level spells for purposes of spell energy and spell damage.

In addition, he gains a number of spell energy points equal to his spellcasting ability modifier. The spell energy can be used to cast the 1st-level spell he selected, as well as later learned spells.

Note that when selecting your 1st-level spell, you may not select spells from the greater schools of magic.

Until a character learns a Spellcasting feat, he can only cast the spells that he learned from the Magecraft feat. Once a character gains a Spellcasting feat, he may learn and cast any channeled spells he wishes within the limits of the rules for channeled spellcasting.

Source: Midnight 2nd Edition, p. 123
wolfen_child
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2011, 01:29:38 PM »

Well poo. I'd have taken Cure Minor as well. I thought we were limited to a cross-listing. Ah well, my own fault for not checking.

Doomed Hero

« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2011, 01:48:24 PM »

Don't worry, there will be an opportunity to rearrange things soon. I'm not the kind who's going to make players live with character-build errors made before they really understood how all the rules worked.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2011, 01:53:45 PM »

I just created a group page for the game on Facebook in order to save myself time in letting people know when scene switches happen, and also to help us get to know each other a little better. If you use facebook, please join.

Here's the page
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2011, 12:21:31 AM »

Sorry, I'm an intentional luddite here in regrads to Facebook.  But I'll keep my eyes on the boards, don't worry.

Dunkin stats
Johanas
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +2/-0

« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2011, 04:24:00 PM »

That actually goes for me too. I've avoided Facebook successfully so far. Good Idea though. I support the inclusive of other media into roleplaying. DH knows this, he's been in my games before. I never included social media though...
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-0

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2011, 07:37:02 PM »

I'm afraid that I'm not on FB, either.  I've been lured into trying Google+, but only intermittently remember to glance at it. Wink

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2011, 07:38:03 PM »

I pretty much only lurk on G+ now. Facebook just doesn't do it for me anymore.
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-0

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2011, 07:44:38 PM »

I'd recommend slinging out a "we've changed scenes again" email, if you can, DH.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #67 on: December 28, 2012, 07:07:17 PM »

New Topic For Discussion-

Maps and Combat

The fight against the drunken goblins in Durgis Rock is the first traditional combat encounter the game has had so far. It only includes 3 PCs and frankly, it's giving me a headache.

The issue is that, with how I've decided to run combat (group initiative), and the fact that I don't have access to my map-making program right now and am forced to use Google Docs, I end up with a bunch of posts full of letter/number combinations that correspond to a space on the map (talking about where people are or where they are moving to), and then another set talking about the enemy they are going to attack.

It makes my eyes glaze over trying to decipher it all.

Any suggestions would be helpful. I really want combat to go smoothly, and I'm dreading having to do this with the full party.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #68 on: December 28, 2012, 07:08:14 PM »

One of my first thoughts is:

Move yourself on the map. It's able to be edited by anyone, so go for it. That will cut down on what I have to do a lot.
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #69 on: December 29, 2012, 01:24:23 AM »

I've you done away with the idea of more free-form, "cinematic" combat and just doing away with the tactical maps? It has it's own disadvantages, of course, but in a forum format it might work better.
TwiceBorn
Editor

« Reply #70 on: December 29, 2012, 02:52:17 PM »

I'm fine with making our own moves on the map, but in some cases we've been waiting for clarification from the GM on certain technical points prior to making a move. DH, I think Ivy is still waiting for a ruling from you in the CQ OOC thread.

Aiso
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #71 on: December 30, 2012, 01:31:49 AM »

i moved myself on the map if it didnt work for you please let me know. Nefario moved to v21.

\\\"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth\\\"-Einstein
Doomed Hero

« Reply #72 on: December 30, 2012, 06:14:26 PM »

Ok, I think I figured out why this became an unexpected chore.

I run a couple other games on the Paizo forums. They have an internal dice roller there. Group initiative works because people can post in whatever order they want and the results are immediately apparent. It makes things a lot less complicated for me to sort out. In this game, there are more questions, and people wait for results before deciding what they are going to do. Means a whole lot more book keeping for me and I hadn't expected that.

For this game, I think Ivy's right. We need to stick to normal initiative and a more cinematic combat approach. I will still make basic maps to provide a general layout and frame of reference, but I won't worry about the "tactical wargame" side of combat as much. The way we've been doing it before now has been working fine and has been plenty fun.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 06:23:12 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2013, 02:06:51 AM »

Personally I prefer the more cinematic option, especially for online games.  I think we can run with this method quite well.

Doomed Hero

« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2013, 06:14:57 PM »

Pheros has suggested the possibility of each character putting down a 3 round action plan in the OOC thread during combat.

This would let me paint with broader strokes, so to speak, hopefully speeding up combat significantly.

I would still give the results of the rolls on an OOC post and let the players convey the results through their character's eyes.

Any arguments for? Against? The table is open for discussion and questions.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Meta Thread (Clarion Quietus and Quietus Clarion)
Jump to: