Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 17, 2017, 03:37:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

If you liked something, say so, if you think it can be bettered, say so, commenting on threads and giving ideas for the site are always welcome.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Quietus Clarion (IC)  (Read 197508 times)
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #1200 on: September 28, 2017, 02:07:46 PM »

The dagger cut swiftly and efficiently and the acolyte's throat turned red with blood in an instant. In the crowd, Arasam, started forward as if to rush his way through the crowd but he was held back by the others.

The acolytes eyes grew heavy very swiftly and they closed before he slumped forward. The two on either side of him were now the only thing keeping him held up.

Lazhin moved forward. "The Sacrifice has now been received. The next harvest will be blessed by Izrador. Never fear, my dear flock. Bear in mind what you have witnessed here tonight, we will catch the witch that has escaped us. Know that even we are not untouchable and the price of our failure to serve our God is high. But also know that great service is to be rewarded. We now welcome Legate Aliya Arvalor to our ranks.

Legate Aliya you have completed your final tasks for the night. You are now a fully fledged member of the temple Legates. Welcome. Now my dear flock, return to your homes. I am sure the new dawn awaits you."

Currently reading: Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series; The Hero of Ages.
Siona33
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #1201 on: October 01, 2017, 04:29:21 AM »

Alia was relieved that this eventfull night was over. Never had she thought her induction as a full Legate would go off the rails like this.  she would rest a bit and meditate. Only the escaped witch gave her a bit headache. As insurgents usually do.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #1202 on: October 01, 2017, 06:59:07 AM »

The crowd was ushered out of the service chamber which was unlocked. A pair of servants removed the sacrifice from the room and began cleaning the floors. Aliya was excused with a gesture of favor from Lazhin, who despite all obvious setbacks, appeared quite content with the evenings outcomes. Once she had reached her private chambers, Aliya found that everything appeared ready with her bed made, a small table set with some refreshments, on a chair lay brand new robes which appeared to have been meticulously tailored for her appearance.

A letter of her introduction into the Keepers of Obsidian also sat on one desk. With this she knew she would be allowed access to the normally restricted libraries of most of the temples. She would no longer have to borrow the occasional book a member of the order might have, or be forced to read over the shoulder of another. She could pursue her own studies into nearly any field she wanted. More than that, she now had the ability to travel the world freely and would be a well respected member of the order. No longer would other members simply sneer down their noses at her for being a member of the Umbral Catholicon. She would have to make a choice eventually as to whether she would begin to wield her political power and attempt to climb the ranks of the order or simply utilize her abilities to stay out of the way. But that was a choice for another time.

Finally she allowed herself to relax and began to meditate. It was harder than she thought, perhaps it was because of everything she had gone through since earlier. She felt as though she had a headache coming on. There was a pressure there that she wasn't used to, something almost constricting to her very soul. But she would not be so easily deterred. Eventually she pulled deeper, the uncomfortable sensations passed and soon it was but a faint sensation, within her meditative void she could ignore almost anything. Instead she felt a swell of power from her belief, a deeper understanding of the greatness of Izrador. Her god was pleased with her. Her power strengthened in all aspects.

Rash'Gar helped Xein move out of the chamber. Even as they got outside of the oppressive room, the crowd quickly scattered, returning to the respective homes. Leaving them with only a few stragglers who stayed behind to ask the acolytes questions or beg for favors. The aura of cold finally dissipated from Xein and although shaky, the pale Elfling seemed to finally be able to stand properly.

Thank you brother, I believe I will be alright now. he thought for a moment and pulled out the azure gem he'd managed to hold onto. I do not know exactly what occurred but after that explosion of Arcane magic, Skindancer seemed able to pull energy from the gemstone through me. There's still a pulse of energy but it's diminished now.

While Xein remained contemplative about the effects of the stone, Flit arrived out of the shadows. He was now dressed in full armor and had battle gear. "Leader, you're safe. That is good. Wisp keeps watch from above. Human female, escaped on horse earlier. Unsure if we were to pursue. Sergeant Clouse was asking if you were around. What should we tell him?"
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 07:03:17 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Jester
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« Reply #1203 on: October 02, 2017, 11:39:49 AM »

Rash'Gar glanced around before answering Flit.

" Lead us to to Sergeant then get Wisp and get all our gear ready for a journey"

We need to leave this place Brother. Are you feeling alright?

Rash'Gar helped his Brother along as they followed Flit to the Seargeant.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #1204 on: October 03, 2017, 01:52:50 PM »

Flit took the two brothers away from the temple. He led them toward the outskirts of Badstone then to the supply lodgings. Already things had already taken a turn for more organized than they had left it. Despite it being in the middle of the night, the area was well lit with a good deal of torches and lanterns. Clouse had posted a dozen guards scattered around large sectioned off area where crates were being meticulously gone over by the militaristic Hobgoblin along with his personal entourage as well as a handful of what appeared to be clerks. They were busy itemizing lists of finished goods, raw materials, foodstuffs, and weapons and copying them down on sheets of parchment.

The Goblin then left to do as Rash'Gar commanded.

"- and I want you to reduce all food tax rations given to your military by fifteen percent once fall hits. This will allow you to store more grain for the winter. Then increase the amount you give out to twenty percent once the first winter chills set in. You're also along an essential supply line but at the barest outskirts of where things might go bad for you militarily speaking. Make sure you see to your workforces needs before winter by repairing tools or getting new ones as well as making sure their clothing is good enough to last through the winter."

He spotted Xein and Rash'Gar and waved the clerks off. "Seems like something unusual occurred with the ritual this evening? Care to explain." It was less of a question when coming from Clouse.

"The intended sacrifice managed to escape." Xein began. "There was a blast of raw arcane energy which had been captured and filled one of the temples... sacred cisterns. She was a Channeler and it seemed to empower her while directly hampering the Acolytes and the Legates present. As well as a fair majority of the crowd."
Siona33
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #1205 on: October 06, 2017, 02:32:39 PM »

Aliya took some time to rest, then she washed up, dressed and made her Way to the others.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #1206 on: October 07, 2017, 06:07:11 PM »

He continued. "The Legate left in charge, Lazhin, took the acolyte who was supposedly watching the intended channeler and sacrificed him instead. Thus making the ritual a success in the end. Aliya is now a fully fledged Legate too."

Clouse  nodded. He didn't seem particularly surprised by the information Xein brought to him.

"Well as long as the Legate currently in charge here is happy and content. That's all we can hope for. Either way, we should see about getting out of here as soon as we are able before we get bogged down again. I've got a few more things to organize but I'm going to be working everyone here through the night. We have our own mission to complete, don't forget. I doubt that Grey Legate, Jael, will let us off the hook just because Sir Riddar is no longer with us. Technically Aliya is not a part of that particular mission, although it seems like she's dedicated enough to hunting down insurgents, she'll be an invaluable ally in many situations."

"She's already sided with us though. Doesn't that mean she'll help us?"

"True, she will likely help us but she's also unfocused when it comes to any insurgent activity. If what I've seen is any indication, when she learns of any activity she wants to immediately go to investigate and stamp it out."

"Is that bad?"

Clouse inhaled deeply and sighed. "Yes and no, Xein. You're smart but you're inexperienced. Just like she is. You need to use your head more and think harder. Why do you think I'm trying to get us out of here as soon as we're able to go?"

"To... continue with our mission and close the gap between us and the insurgents we are hunting."

"Yes, that's our overall goal. But why else?"

To... not get bogged down?

"Exactly. What you may not have noticed is that we've been completely reactive to events going on around us. Our current task to hunt the insurgents from Jael, your mission to serve with Sir Riddar, everything that's happened since you two left your lords manner. It's all been reactive. I know it doesn't seem like it but it all started because someone else did something first. What I don't want is to have the Legate who's currently in charge of this place tasking us with something else to do before we can leave."

Just as Clouse was ending his speech, Aliya arrived.
Siona33
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #1207 on: October 10, 2017, 12:24:46 PM »

Alia had not heard clouses entire speach. " Seargeant Clouse, you do not need to fear the high Legate "bogging you down" with unneccessary work. My great-uncle hates this himself and if it does not serve some higher purpose he will not do it. As for Lazhin, well he is my uncles Assistant you could say, if there is no order from higher up then he has not the power to do so. Anyway are you well? The  blast from the ritual was heavy.  Aliya asked the others. Her demeanor a bit more tired and perehaps a bit more irritated and cold than usual.If there is nothing else, i would like to know if you have some leads. I am going down to te archives to get a few more maps and our documents, some of the maps are works of our orders agentsand  have the old pathways that are used for smuggling and such. If you want i can Check if anyone matching your targets is mentioned in matters of justice or has used a pas to enter or leave. With a bit of luck i can find out where they are headed. All i would need is a general description of this group of fugitives and perhaps one or two names mentioned in regards to them."
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #1208 on: October 16, 2017, 02:24:24 AM »

Clouse nodded at Aliya's request.

"Is that what that was? The blast felt like a light tingling sensation but nothing to worry about.

I can't begin to guess how useful any smuggling pathways would be nowadays but the maps for the surrounding regions may be useful in us not getting lost."

He then began to relay all the information that he knew of the group they were chasing as well as approximate details of their physical descriptions like their height, eye color, hair length and color, their skin tones, any distinguishing scars or markings, rough builds, their exact race, and approximate weights. He also gave a rough idea of how some of them preferred fighting.

"Although I can't be completely sure on those as they come from Lackey's memory but I trust him enough. I don't have any real leads on where they're going yet, aside from the fact they're leaving the mountains... I might advise in limiting the amount of information you give out about looking for a group this large. You may cause others to start looking for them which might help us or it might cause rival groups to arise and start looking for them in order to curry favor with Jael and whoever else is looking for them. That choice is yours though.

Unless we are given express permission to assist you in the library I believe you will be on your own in hunting out the information you want."

Xein stepped forward. "I know many of their names. I managed to find get on their wagon as they were escaping from their hideout one night on a wagon. There was an Erenlander woman by the name of Amethyst. A tall Sarcosan woman named Siobhan. There was something strange about her, she could manipulate fire. A Gnome trader by the name of Wendel. A strange Halfling named Nefario. He seemed to have no trouble spotting me in the dark. An Elfling like myself named Ivy. I think she's a Channeler of some kind but she didn't seem to be in full control of her abilities. There were two others, a younger Erenlander man who may have been a tracker and an older one but I feel like he died in Durgis Rock during the assault there. There was also a Dorn, I didn't get his name, but he was massively strong. Strong enough to push back the old Alpha of Rash'Gar's Pack. "

Clouse interjected after a moment. "Lackey says there was a Dwarf with them too when he saw them but then there were a lot of Dwarves at Durgis Rock."

Jester
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #1209 on: October 18, 2017, 01:41:57 PM »

Pacing and letting low growls escape his lips, Rash'Gar waited restlessly at the edge of the group with his two trackers, listening to the others discuss the situation.

We need to move soon Brother, this talk gives our quarry more time to run farther from us

Pacing and letting low growls escape his lips
Siona33
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #1210 on: October 20, 2017, 04:21:05 AM »

Aliya went and got the documents needed to cross the nearest millitary checkpoints.  She made her way to get passing documents and identification papers for her group. Perks of being a full legate and at her current home temple. Aftere that ishe made her way to the archives located in the second lowest area of the temple. She greeted the archivist and requested the maps of  badstone district. Her next quarry were reports from customs and city watch. A group of foreigners this diverse was easy to find. She would note any anomalies around them. But her best lead would be the trader Wendel, as he was acting Head of the caravan, and well if strangers acting suspicious then it would be natural if she was asking questins. No one would need to now that she suspected them entangled in bigger events.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 04:34:34 AM by Siona33 » Logged
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #1211 on: October 24, 2017, 01:50:12 PM »

The archivist reviewed his records and quickly fetched Aliya all the necessary maps of Badstone and  it's surrounding areas.

She then headed to the raven masters quarters. There she met with the head scribe and spent the better part of the following hour in order to draw up the necessary papers describing herself as well as her expected entourage to send ahead to the larger towns and military checkpoints so that they wouldn't be caught off guard should her group show up.

The head scribe seemed amused by the idea of Aliya traveling with so many different kinds of Goblinoids and no Human or Orcish bodyguards and balked openly at the idea of her traveling with an Ogre and even more so at the idea of a wolf-man, but her impervious gaze quelled his misgivings immediately. She then had him draw up a description of the group of outlaws as well.

"The messages should last around 2 months but after that I can't say anything."

Once the original documents had been fully drawn up, he summoned four youthful assistants to make copies. Once all the copies had been made and he'd had a chance to check them for any mistakes, none had any, he marked the papers with the official seal of Badstone and handed Aliya the originals. He then sent his assistants to ensure the messages were sent out to the proper locations.

She then went to speak with the city watch to see if they had seen or heard of anyone matching any of the descriptions coming through. The vast majority of the local population being Sarcosan helped to reduce the odds that anyone of any note had been missed. There had been no sign of any Dwarves in the last 15 years and there hadn't been any new Halflings in over a decade, except for the one she had arrived with there were only 19 Halfing slaves in Badstone and all were accounted for. The only Gnomes who had been through the area were No Dorn's had been seen in months, and Erenlanders while not uncommon still stood out. No one matched either the westerner Eirik or Amethyst's description. The woman Siobhan would be the most difficult to spot, but even so she was supposedly a remarkable specimen, at least according to Xein's description, and would likely stand out even then.

Aliya hadn't been surprised. It would have been too easy if they'd shown up here. But now that her preparations were well underway she could leave here knowing that she would be ready.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 07:04:41 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #1212 on: October 29, 2017, 08:02:22 AM »

As the hours went on, Aliya reviewed the older maps she had received and discovered one map of the surrounding areas marked with a peculiar handwriting and lots of personal notes. It was bound in a stack of papers which held records of official records detailing a discovery of a pair of smugglers who were found to be guilty of conspiring with Dwarven Fey by supplying them with food and various raw materials in exchange for finely crafted armor and weapons which the two had been then supplying a faction of Free-rider outlaws. The arms and armor had been confiscated as evidence and the pair had been tried for treason for crimes against the crown of Erenland.
A further attachment was an investigation done to discover the location of these dead drops. It was shown that the smugglers had 4 locations they made their rounds to. The first was to an area on the map some 70 miles to the north labeled clearing. The next was a poorly drawn small stand of trees labeled as forest, although there was a question mark drawn around it 60 miles to the west of that. Next was a small town roughly 90 miles northwest of there labeled as Hornblower's Rest, and finally it went all the way to Red Wind.
Siona33
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #1213 on: October 29, 2017, 10:46:04 AM »

She had hoped for more but well, you could not have everything. She made her way back to the others. Perhaps the had more.
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #1214 on: November 07, 2017, 05:31:42 AM »

Aliya returned to the front gate and her allies. Already she could see the changes Clouse had made being put into effect. It appeared that he had cut into the potential militia of Badstone as there were now guards stationed every 60 feet. In addition to the normal rotation of the garrison of Orcs, there were human guards and a small patrol of lightly armed men walked through the area now. It had changed the town from an appearance of a sleepy city to a much more vibrant and alert one.

Xein and Rash'Gar waited alongside the ogre, King Blanket, up on his shoulders was Lackey. Hard to spot initially were the two Goblin sycophant spies Flit and Wisp who stood not far from Rash'Gar.

Clouse himself had his bodyguard Red, and lastly was the quiet Grak scout, York.

The group was fully rested, newly geared, had all the supplies they needed, and had their goals in mind.

Clouse nodded to Aliya. "We're ready to move out when you are."
Siona33
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #1215 on: November 08, 2017, 02:53:16 PM »

I am ready. We should not get any problems at this point".
Jester
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #1216 on: November 08, 2017, 04:50:33 PM »

Brother, we need to move soon. The last direction I sensed the prey was that direction. We should leave now. we fall further behind every day.

As they were silently communicating Rash'Gar gestured in the direction he thought they should proceed.

As soon as they decide we will start our pursuit/i]
Luiniel Blades

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #1217 on: November 12, 2017, 07:38:51 AM »

Xein looked at his brother, Alright then Rash'Gar. We'll follow your senses. We'll find them more swiftly that way.

"It seems Rash'Gar has a lead on which direction we should best utilize."

Clouse glanced between the two trackers. "I thought you were the one with the unusual senses, Xein?"

"When it comes to sensing magic, I'm able to tell the difference of each kind. But Rash'Gar holds a much stronger sense of one of those members."

Clouse shrugged.  "Well then, we'd best move quickly. The rest of the world is very dangerous and there's no telling if that particular member will survive long enough for us to reach them."

Finally ready and with nothing else holding them back, the group of  them left Badstone Gate behind and headed along the northern road following after a faint trail.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 10:10:11 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Jester
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #1218 on: November 12, 2017, 10:14:51 AM »

We will scout ahead brother,

With that Rash'Gar nods at the two goblins and they fall in behind the man-beast as he sets out on the trail.
Siona33
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #1219 on: November 18, 2017, 07:56:03 PM »

Aliya thanked Izrador inwardly for her so far uneventfull journey.. In spite of this she ket her senses alert. If her travels had taught her one thing it was caution.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Quietus Clarion (IC)
Jump to: