Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2019, 03:51:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

You can enable or disable the quick reply box in your profile, be sure to change the settings to suit your own preferences.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 52
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Quietus Clarion (IC)  (Read 311720 times)
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2011, 10:31:29 AM »

"Mister Kael," Lord Skinner said with a perfect smile "When you have seen as many miracles as I, you stop believing in luck or coincidence. Everything serves Him. It is all part of the Plan."

Hans crossed the room with a slow poised grace that belied his lanky form. The door swung open revealing an unexpected looking personage.

"Legate Illustrian, Lord Skinner will see you now."
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:34:01 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
Johanas
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +2/-0

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 08:07:01 PM »

Roycilo calmly strode into the study. He bowed low, and once he had risen, respectfully nodded to the other men. "Lord Skinner, I have heard tell these are your lands, and as befits custom, I wanted to present myself to you. I try to live a courteous life, and find that the old customs are best. True to custom, I present myself here to your discretion. Anything you need, I shall strive to provide."
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 11:49:49 PM by Johanas » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2011, 10:30:47 PM »

"Legate Illustrian." Lord Skinner said with a nod of acknowledgment. "Your exploits precede you. This is Sir Riddar, a soldier of the Order, and Agent Kael, and investigator in service to the crown." He says with a graceful sweep of his hand. "They have some questions for you."
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 10:32:53 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Johanas
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 11:51:13 PM »

"I live to serve. Ask away gentlemen; I have nothing to hide. I do His Will always. "
Coyote777
Lightbearer

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2011, 03:44:35 AM »

"Well spoke.  You traveled here with companions, yes?  Fellow travelers who continued on to Swiftwater, if reports are to be believed.  Tell us of them.  Take care to leave out no detail, no matter how seemingly inconsequential."
Johanas
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2011, 10:07:33 AM »

"Truth be told, I know little of them. I was directed to a gnome merchant man, back at Baden's Bluff, when I inquired as to attaching myself to a caravan. I was told his name was Wendle, and he was a well-known face. I even inquired to his trustworthiness, and was informed he was just a merchant. I saw nothing to indicate otherwise. He had a few travelers with him. One was named Gary, another Eirik, and a Dorin. Dorin was a Dorn, and built large even for a Dorn. He had shoulder-length blonde hair. Eirik was an Erenlander like myself. Gary was a Sarcosan man with a scar on his chin. They had drinks with a Horace, a brunette gnome man, and a pair of ladies. One Erenlander, one Sarcosan, I didn't get their names. They were both stunning, and if I had had the time, I would have liked to get to know them better. Wendle mentioned something about family with regards to Horace. If I may ask, why are you inquiring as to the traveling companions of one of God's Clergy? Have I offended someone?"
Coyote777
Lightbearer

« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2011, 01:01:34 AM »

Riddar's gaze wandered, apparently not hearing or choosing to ignore the question.

"This gnome...Horace.  And the two women.  Were they locals?"
Johanas
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 08:34:56 AM »

Roycilo's eyes narrowed in an expression of anger and disgust, and he quickly caught himself, and changed the gesture to him closing his eyes and rubbing them. He sighed. "Truthfully, all I know is that Horace is a merchant, some kind of trader, and that the two women were his apprentices. I would assume it likely they were not from the area, as they were traveling merchants. I was only at the table with them for a few minutes, before we all went our separate ways."
Homp
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2011, 02:25:50 PM »

Leaving no time to breath for the priest, Kael shifted his posture forward in his chair and began his question at the moment the last syllable had left the father's lips.

"And these men that you mentioned, travelling with the gnome Wendle, what of them? Were they members of some kind of crew, or like yourself were they just catching a ride? I care little for the dorn, but the other two, did you observe any behavior from them that you would consider... out of the ordinary? Did they give any clues as to the intention of their final destination?"

Johanas
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2011, 09:53:42 PM »

"It seemed that they had worked together before, but not for long. Gary mentioned something about a new crew, and even then, most of them just seemed to be headed to a similar destination. As for the two ladies, they said incredibly little. They mostly just sat there and were quiet. They seemed newest of all. As for destination...East is all I know. They were headed East." He paused for a second, and caught his breath. "Have I been traveling with criminals?"
Doomed Hero

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2011, 10:10:13 PM »

The main doors burst open accompanied by an animalistic snarl. "Skinner, I lost her!"

The words were Black Tongue, but barely intelligible, formed by a mouth with more of a muzzle than lips. It looked like a small wolf, but with humanoid qualities. It had arms and hands. It sat on it's haunches as it came to rest, but it was clear that it could stand upright if it chose to.

As the doors had burst Hans had moved far faster than anything natural with a boneless motion reminiscent of a striking serpent. He had planted himself in front of his master with his arms wide and  low, his hands splayed like claws. He seemed somehow taller even though he was crouched, as if his arms and legs had stretched as he moved.

Lord Skinner had not moved or spoke, but the eyes in the holy symbol he wore had pulsed with a dark crimson light. Some kind of magic or miracle had been worked, but nothing visible had happened. The light in the symbol's eyes faded and Lord Skinner visibly relaxed as soon as he recognized the creature that had burst through the door.

"Cara's free." the creature growled.

Lord Skinner raised a hand to his head and rubbed between his eyes as if pained. "Why can things never go according to plan?"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 03:01:55 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Johanas
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2011, 11:27:36 PM »

Roycilo's head sharply turned toward the doors as they slammed open. His right hand flew to his holy symbol, and his left into his clothing. Once he realized he was in no immediate danger, he pulled his left back out, leaving his right hand on his holy symbol. Lost who? Who are these people, and what IS happening here?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 08:57:32 AM by Johanas » Logged
Homp
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2011, 11:43:43 PM »

Kael snapped to his feet as the doors burst open. He immediately leveled his stance as his left hand shot into his pocket, lacing his fingers into the holy symbol within. His posture was centered much like his gaze, directly at the beast before him.

What manner of creature is this?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 02:06:10 AM by Homp » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2011, 03:42:38 PM »

The windows were glass. None of the visitors had noticed really, but they noticed now. Lightning flashed outside, painting the priceless windows with bright violet-white light for an instant. Hans pulled back the leathery curtains to reveal a larger bay window. It occurred to Kael that this much glass was worth more than Prince Helrion's entire treasury. Lord Skinner peered out toward the river into the fog. "No Thunder. It is her." Skinner said to himself.

"Don't second guess me, Skinner. We have to move, now!"

Lord Skinner waived his hand dismissively at the wolf-like creature on the floor. "Criminals. Yes." He said, aswering Father Illustrian's question. "Both my own annoyances and the ones these gentlemen are tracking, if my guesses are correct. Somehow my trap has been sprung too early."

Lord Skinner closed his eyes for a moment and muttered a prayer of insight. A moment later they snapped open again, an amused smile on his face.  "Gentlemen, I believe the ones you seek are currently caught by the folly of my servant here." Another flash of lightning lit up the priceless windows. "If you would like to take them alive, I suggest you go towards that light, with haste."

Another creature hurtled through the door, this one far more graceful than the last. Again Hans stepped in front of his master. Lord Skinner only rolled his eyes.

The new arrival was a halfling, but pale as snow and dressed from head to toe in black leathers. His ears were long and his frame slight and he was glaring fiercely at the strange wolf-creature.

"Ah, Xein. Excellent timing." Lord Skinner said approvingly. "The ones we seek are at the cove you discovered two Arcs ago. Lead our guests there. Skindancer, when you arrive, please find another host. You know how Xein hates it when you possess his pet."

"Like I give a damn what that freak thinks." The wolf-creature snarled.

"Just go." Lord Skinner said with infinite patience. "Cara is very dangerous and getting answers is much more difficult when everyone is dead."

Coyote777
Lightbearer

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2011, 12:09:12 AM »

There came the scrape and clatter of metal upon metal as Sir Riddar finally began to move from his chair.  He hauled himself from his seat awkwardly, standing at his full near seven foot height and suddenly filling the room.  He pulled the great-helm he had rested under his left arm over his head.  The helm, like the rest of his plate armor, was made from blackened and burnished steel.  It had been shaped as the head of some great howling, enigmatic beast.  Not quite wolf or serpent, but something of both.  The jaws of the beast snapped shut, sealing the helm.  Riddar reached for the great black-pommeled doublehander he had leaned against the seat, pulling it roughly over his shoulder.

"You're proving to be a man of too many mysteries, Lord Skinner."

When Riddar spoke, his voice was a booming rasp echoing within his helm, like the crack of thunder met with the churning of gravel.

"If it's discovered that some pet witch of yours has gotten loose and is causing havoc, you'd best be planning a truly incredible explanation... "

He turned to the door, favoring Kael with a nod and grunt. 

"Well, let's be off then.  Before the killing concludes without us."
Homp
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2011, 12:56:05 AM »

Within a moments notice of Riddar's acknowledgement, Kael was out of his chair and in a dead sprint out the doors they had entered from. So many thoughts had rushed through his head in the past minutes, strange creatures, the bay window. It was still completely baffling to Kael who this lord skinner was, or how he had managed to acquire such a manner of living. All of that stopped as the lord spoke his last words however, and everything else was wiped from his mind as he remembered his mission.

Find the prophet
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2011, 02:18:31 PM »

Xein halted his movement as he entered the chamber, his gaze was sternly fixed on Skin Dancer.  As he was addressed his attention switched to Lord Skinner, immediately both his anger and prepared words died in his throat.  His new orders given, Xein nodded in acknowledgement, taking notice of the guests that had arrived.  Noting the language being used he slips easily into the Erenlander tongue.  His tone indicated a strong respect for his lord, then immediately slid to neutrality as he spoke to them.

"As you command Lord Skinner.   Follow me."
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:53:03 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged

Currently reading: Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series; The Hero of Ages.
Johanas
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2011, 11:08:10 PM »

Roycilo looked perplexed. "Ah...Your Grace?" he asked Skinner. "What is going on? I mean no disrespect of course, but I know little to nothing of what is happening here. Am I under an Inquisition? And what is this I hear of a pet witch?" He gave a sidelong glance at whatever it was that had burst into the room. Probably an astriax-possessed guard dog. That gnome had mentioned something about...something out there.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 12:27:23 AM by Johanas » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #43 on: June 07, 2011, 12:01:42 PM »

Lord Skinner waves his hand dismissively at the comment about the 'pet witch' and continues to look out the window at the flashes in the distance as he answers Roycilo's question, "That young man that just dashed out is tracking the Baden Prophet. It seems he was a traveling companion of yours for a time. I was never an inquisitor, so I do not know if what you have done warrants investigating, but you seem to have displayed remarkably poor instincts when it comes to sensing the motivations of others. A dangerous trait in a Legate of any cloth. I will be speaking to a colleague about how to proceed in the matter. I'm sure any assistance you can offer in rectifying the situation will not harm you. The choice is yours."

As Illustrian stood trying to make sense out of his situation his gaze fell upon the chair recently vacated by the mountainous knight. The man's armor must have punched a hole in the exquisite leather. A ragged hole was spilling some kind of dark liquid down the leg to pool on the floor.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 01:33:43 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Johanas
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2011, 12:31:07 AM »

"I...well, you see, Lord Skinner, I am a simple preacher. It is my duty to spread the word of His Grace, and as such I tend not to look for the ill in people, simply their intent to display true faithfulness. Many can express faith through hard labor, as hard work benefits all."  Roycilo cleared his throat. "If it pleases you, I can assist in this endeavor. I live to serve."
Doomed Hero

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2011, 07:31:47 AM »

"I will pray on the matter, and pray for you as well." Lord Skinner said with a friendly and pious nod. "We will speak when you return. Try not to let her kill you."

Illustrian bowed and left, hoping to catch up to the others. The door shut leaving Lord Skinner standing at the window. "Hans," he said to his servant, "Contact the Abbess. Ask her to send me her most promising Novice."
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 07:36:43 AM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Homp
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2011, 01:31:24 PM »

The Fleshcrafter's Stables, Outside the Manor, Arc of Obares, night

Kael burst into the large stable, in such a manner that if the door had not been open already, he would have taken it off it's hinges. He was not surprised at the number and quality of steeds that Lord Skinner possessed given the apparent extent of his wealth, and was in fact surprised at this point to think that he had never even heard of the lord before. It didn't take long to identify the horses that he and his companion had arrived on.

"In here Riddar!" he shouted as he ran to his mount.

The old legate's directness had grown on him and although their goals did overlap, they were not identical, and thus Kael could wait no longer.

He'll catch up he told himself as he took off towards the lightning
Johanas
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2011, 08:01:22 PM »

Roycilo came down into the stables, and noticed the group preparing to depart. He turned to the Elfling. "Excuse me good sir, but I couldn't help but notice you seem to be in good with Lord Skinner. Perhaps I could trouble you to borrow a horse? I would love to assist your Master with this endeavor, but fear that if I walk, I would miss out on all the fun." There is something off about this halfling. Some dissension in his ancestry. I wonder if halflings can breed with Sarcosans? That would explain his height in relation to other halflings...
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2011, 09:27:17 PM »

Xein warily eyed the Legate as he spoke. "If the master believes you skilled enough to aid, then find a horse quickly.  We hunt soon."  With that he strung up his bow and looked for a swift mount.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 02:10:32 AM by Luiniel Blades » Logged
Johanas
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2011, 12:09:59 AM »

Roycilo looked around the stable. While he had no intimate knowledge of horses, he had been trained to ride. He picked a suitable-looking horse, not overly large, not too small. It was more sleek, built for speed, less for power. He grabbed a saddle from off the wall, and threw it and a blanket over the horse before leading it out of the stable. He mounted it, and raced off after the riders ahead of him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 52
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Quietus Clarion (IC)
Jump to: