Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2020, 07:57:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Whenever you send a personal message it is not saved by default, either change that in your profile or select individual messages to save.
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Midnight PbP at Paizo - Recruitment  (Read 15730 times)
nightflier
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« on: March 11, 2011, 02:43:49 PM »

I am running a game at Paizo boards, and it reached nearly 5000 posts. The time has come for the game to branch out in two directions. Essentially, some members of the party will go down the elven path, and some down the dwarven path. I am now looking for 4-6 players who will join the dwarven branch of the party. I'd like to put a call to the guys who already had characters in my game, but those died - but to others as well. The characters will begin at 5th level and I'll be using Pathfinder rules, slightly modified with my own house rules. The game will start in about a month, as soon as main party finishes the final quest. Here is the link to the Discussion Thread, so you may jump right in if you are interested: http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/community/gaming/playByPostDiscussion/nightfliersMidnight
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 03:10:41 PM »

My name is DH and I approve of this message.

Seriously guys, I've been in this game since the beginning and it's been a blast. Highly recommended.

Word to those considering it though, it has a phenomenal posting rate. If you can't commit to checking in consistently, aiming for at least once a day, this isn't the game for you.

'If you've ever wanted a PbP that feels more like a tabletop, has darn good writing and interaction, and don't mind putting in the extra effort, you'll probably enjoy the hell out of it though.

Second warning- Character mortality is fairly high. We've had four characters die and three leave the group in the year we've been playing, which for a PbP is quite a lot.

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
TwiceBorn
Editor

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 01:39:44 PM »

Are you guys still registering 20-50 posts a day?

nightflier
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 01:47:31 PM »

It's lot less now. It rarely goes above ten posts per day, I think. Although I hope that the posting rate will go up in the Chapter Two of the game.
TwiceBorn
Editor

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 02:28:23 PM »

It's lot less now. It rarely goes above ten posts per day, I think. Although I hope that the posting rate will go up in the Chapter Two of the game.

I enjoyed the game while I was involved and would consider joining again, but would hate to not be able to keep up with the posting rate if it shot up past 20/day again (I'm in three other active PbPs, run  a real life game of my own, work long days... and will be in Iceland for a month this summer).

It's probably better for me to stay out... I would feel really bad if I joined, and then left again a few weeks/months in due to inability to keep up.
nightflier
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 02:39:50 PM »

Well, I'd love to have you back. Doomed Hero has kept your old character alive (sort of), so you can resurrect him if you want. Perhaps it would be best to talk with DH and ask his opinion. The game has slowed down a lot since those days. There are a lot of new players and the party has changed a bit, but the core remains. I am now insisting on four posts per week - from Tuesday to Friday. The weekends are traditionally slow with posting, so nothing much really happens on Saturdays and Sundays.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 03:25:05 PM »

TB, the awesome thing about Eyvindr is that now he has a built in contingency plan for you having to be gone. He's a ghost. A little plot-related finger waving can give him an "unstable" form, and it's then perfectly reasonable for him to fade into the spirit world for a while. We treat it as a normal character in all other ways. i.e.- take enough damage and he "dies" and can't get a new body again without extraordinary circumstances.

Even if you can't keep up with the posting rate for a while and decide to drop until your life, or the rate of the game, calms down, it doesn't mean you have to drop it forever.

I think it's a uniquely ideal solution to the predicament.
nightflier
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 03:35:39 PM »

I'd like to add that right now I am working on a comprehensive set of rules, that will include reworking of races, classes, PrCs, feats and probably some skills. If you decide to get back in the game, you are by no means bound to play Eyvindr. I plan to complete my rework of the races in the next day or two, and to present a couple of new races as well.
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-0

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 03:44:34 PM »

I'm... seriously tempted, but that rate of posting is a bit intimidating, to say the least.  Hrmmm....

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
nightflier
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 03:58:06 PM »

As I've said, required posting rate is 4 posts per week. Sometimes it's higher, but only in fights and critical moments. Come check the game thread and talk to other guys in the discussion thread. I am GM, but I really listen to my players, so they will have their say about new players and PCs and the ultimate decision to accept new blood will be up to them.
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 04:20:17 PM »

I'm intrigued. Will check it out later today and get back to you.

Chops
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 08:00:09 PM »

I'm also a player in this game and it has been a blast.  The group dynamics have been great and the players are all very mature.  The posting rate has worked well for me.  The only times it gets really high is during combat, which has also been very exciting.  The roleplaying aspect of this game is what keeps it strong though, as the characters are vivid and alive.  

I highly recommend this game.

Edit: Twiceborn, it would be awesome to have you back.
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-0

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2011, 07:48:17 AM »

I'm Ulaidhan over there.  Still not certain about having the time, but I'm definitely interested. Wink
Doomed Hero

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2011, 07:03:07 PM »

Give it a shot. The worst that could happen is that you decide you can't do it and have your character go out in a blaze of glory.
Chops
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2011, 07:05:09 PM »

Give it a shot. The worst that could happen is that you decide you can't do it and have your character go out in a blaze of glory.

I have a feeling this next fight is going to go that way for some of us.
TwiceBorn
Editor

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 11:57:41 PM »

DH, when you have a moment, can you PM me details about Eyvindr's current relationship with Ragnar, what he has been up to, and a quick summary of the major events in the game since I left (those that would be known to Eyvindr, at any rate)?

Chops and Nightflier (and DH) -- thanks so much for the kind words welcoming me back (if indeed I do opt to return)!
Doomed Hero

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 01:29:04 AM »

PM sent.
nightflier
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 09:04:09 AM »

One thing we'll need to work out - Eyvindr's white bone item has gone into making Sorrow. If he gets back into the game, I'd recommend that Sorrow goes to him, although with new set of powers, and that Ragnar makes another blade for himself. And I would recommend spear, since Ragnar has that Odin thing going on. I think there is still some bone dust left.
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 11:14:46 PM »

So is there any detail at this point or will all of that come out in a month? When you say dwarven path, do you mean we would be Dwarves?
Doomed Hero

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2011, 12:26:21 AM »

Dwarven path means that the adventure will take place in the Kaladruns and deal with Dwarven issues. It doesn't necessarily mean the characters would have to be dwarves, but it would be good if they had some stake in (and knowledge of) dwarven ways.
nightflier
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2011, 05:18:02 AM »

What the DH said. The game will be dealing heavily with the war against orcs and dwarven politics, so recommended races are: dwarves, dwarven half-breeds, gnomes and humans. All the races will be modified, especially the gnomes, who are now more like standard Pathfinder gnomes. Dwarrow are changed as well - a lot. They are now +4 Charisma race, and their description reflect the changes in gnomish appearance, so think somewhat less stout dwarves with virulent green hair and red-blue beard (combination varies according to player's wishes), larger than life and prone to song and merriment - not at all dour and grumpy as is standard for Midnight. A highland imp is also allowed, and one player is already interested in HI hermetic channeler.
TwiceBorn
Editor

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2011, 10:06:38 PM »

PM sent.

Thanks for that. Mulling it over.
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2011, 10:12:38 PM »

Very cool. Do you see any particular needs that might suggest a design or is there something less than reading the whole game to date that would help me get an idea of exactly what it's all about?
Doomed Hero

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2011, 11:04:24 PM »

this thread-

http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/community/gaming/connection/nightfliersMidnight5000PostsGameNewPlayersNeeded&page=1#25

maps out the existing characters and shows some of the things other people are thinking about.
DaveTheMagicWeasel
Lightbearer

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2011, 01:03:15 PM »

Hmmmm.... I'm certainly tempted by this, just not sure about keeping up with the posting rate.

Also, not too familiar with Pathfinder.  Didn't strike me as any great improvement on 3.5 tbh so I've never had much cause to learn a whole new system.

Any idea when the game would be starting?

First thought for a concept = a Feral Dwarf.  I've always thought they were cool.  Some sort of Wildlander/Barbarian, Kurgan, probably dual-wielding urutuks and maybe heading for Durgis Battlerager if I could file the Durgis fluff off since Feral Dwarf lends itself more to a northern clan.
Pages: [1] 2
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: Midnight PbP at Paizo - Recruitment
Jump to: