Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2020, 03:12:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Threads are marked read only when you open them, if you leave the site and come back later they will still be marked as new, so there is no need to read all threads at once.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: A Murder in Alvedara – Chapter 23 – Suspicions and Potential Victims  (Read 1636 times)
Kane
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +12/-3

« on: December 06, 2010, 05:07:07 AM »

A Murder in Alvedara – Chapter 23 – Suspicions and Potential Victims

It was late afternoon when the reports came in from the bridge district. As expected there were dozens of buildings, most partially ruined that could serve our killer. So far, there was no sign of recent activity. Our sources on the street were also surprisingly quiet. Knowledge of the murders was spreading. We weren’t the only ones to realize that there was a pattern to the killings and the city seemed to be holding its breath waiting for the next victim to be found tomorrow night.

The only interesting piece of news I received were about the number of armed men coming into the city. The high and mighty were bringing in their own men, not trusting the city guard, me, to keep them safe. Normally I’d object to having so many people not under my control roaming through the city, but if it made the killer’s job more difficult, it was good by me. I had little faith they’d accomplish anything.  A murderer who can destroy souls and take Corporeal Mehan’s patrol without a sign of struggle won’t be deterred by a handful of mercenaries or armed riders.

I thought back to my last conversation with Yolan and Bashar. If the victims are being chosen for what or who they represent, who’s next? My mind kept drifting back to the idea that it would be a merchant or one of the Prince’s advisors. I thought through the people I knew in both camps. They had to be large, physically fit men to match the other victims. I could think of only two or three people who even came close. I made a mental note to send a patrol to each of the men to check their security and advise them not to leave their homes for the next few days. Better they think they’re a victim and huddle in fear for a few days then end up on a slab.

What else could I do? There had to be something. My brother had all the information I had and hopefully he’d be able to contact me if he found anything. I could flood the bridge district with men tomorrow, but I was just guessing that that would be the site of the next murder. I needed at least one more piece of this puzzle to give me any hope of catching the killer. That piece was probably going to be another dead body. Could I survive another killing, especially if it’s a person of power?

The day was over.  The last rays of twilight were gone and the city had gone dark.  Looking out my window, I could just make out the silhouette of the grand temple. Strangely my thoughts went not to my brother but to a certain long legged woman who’d been in my office just the day before. I imagined that I could still smell her scent and wondered what it would feel like to hold her close. Dangerous thoughts, but if I’m already doomed why shouldn’t I act on them? There was a wry smile on my lips as I laid down on the small bed in the back of my office. Best to get some sleep.  Tomorrow is going to be a long day.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: A Murder in Alvedara – Chapter 23 – Suspicions and Potential Victims
Jump to: