Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 26, 2021, 09:50:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Our site is made by the fans for the fans. Support the Midnight community and register yourself today.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Under A Pale Gray Sky [OoC]  (Read 113531 times)
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-0

« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2006, 04:47:13 PM »

I was assuming that Amara probably didn't know a great deal, having only been recruited about a year ago - and having spent at least some of that time proving her worth to the legate and his underlings.

I'm honestly not sure what Harrowed has in mind for Theorin's organisation - whether the leader's the only one who knows much about anything (thus making it a lot harder for anyone to seriously infiltrate or damage his network), or if his agents are expected to be able to recognise each other so that they can help one another without hesitation in time of need (giving the individual agents themselves more chance of survival and success in their missions).

The impression I've gained from reading the stuff involving Kunin is that at least some of his agents really don't have much of a clue about anything beyond their immediate mission - but with Beahl, Sareth and Amara all being rather more "intelligence operatives" than assassins or bodyguards, they might well be expected to know more, if only to avoid ever working against each other.

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
Harrowed
Editor

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-1

« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2006, 04:56:56 PM »

Sorry for a bit of inactivity, I was busy as well as expecting a reply to my last IC post. Did Sareth reach ship with no problems? I am not sure how will the patrol react to him, so I am waiting with further posts

Yep, we're going to say that Sareth made it back. The patrols are much easier for him to manage, hidden credentials from the Order will do that.

I like the cut of your jib. How do I subscribe to your newsletter?
-RPG.net
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2006, 05:01:13 PM »

How easy it is to recognize a familiar, Harrowed?

A lot of people keep small pets, especially those with means to do so ... excess food and supplies. The lower level the familiar's master is the more difficult it is, at higher level the familiar exhibits more extraordinary abilities.

Lord Melkor
Lightbearer

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2006, 05:29:44 PM »

I am going to go with the assumption that Sareth knows about most other enforcers, is it okay Harrowed?
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2006, 06:24:43 PM »

I was thinking along the lines that Theorin would not give more than a name and a brief description of the other Enforcers since he seems to have a kind of "cell" structure going on.

Yep, the discription would likely be out of date and the name false but, that's life in the Order.

What would you two prefer assuming Harrowed doesn't have a set-up in mind?

Nope, Harrowed does not. He finds it much more amusing to let you guys come up with what you want. More paranoia that way. Keeping with the game theme and all that.  mrgreen
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2006, 06:39:32 PM »

I'm honestly not sure what Harrowed has in mind for Theorin's organisation - whether the leader's the only one who knows much about anything (thus making it a lot harder for anyone to seriously infiltrate or damage his network), or if his agents are expected to be able to recognise each other so that they can help one another without hesitation in time of need (giving the individual agents themselves more chance of survival and success in their missions).

The impression I've gained from reading the stuff involving Kunin is that at least some of his agents really don't have much of a clue about anything beyond their immediate mission - but with Beahl, Sareth and Amara all being rather more "intelligence operatives" than assassins or bodyguards, they might well be expected to know more, if only to avoid ever working against each other.

Ahem ...

Basically Theorin operates his network in a series of cells, those of you that watch CNN will be very familiar with the term. Or play any Delta Green for that matter, anyway.

Most of the cells have no idea the other cells exist, if one gets rounded up then he can't divulge the entire network. The down side is that, and can happen, cells end up working at counter-purposes and even in direct conflict with each other.

Here's the breakdown of who knows what ...

Original Enforcers [Getting a +2 bonus because of their amount of time in Theorin's service]

Grrrak  [No Skill]
Shelg's Gather Information check ... clatter ... clatter ... [7+1+2=10]
Daniel ["What am I doing here, life has gotten so complicated and bloody"]

FNG's [ mrgreen]

Sareth's Gather Information check ... clatter ... clatter ... [17+3=20]
Amara's Gather Information check ... clatter ... clatter ... [1+7=8]
Kunin-Zir [No Skill]
Beahl's Gather Information check ... clatter ... clatter ... [4+10=14]

Okay, based on that Sareth recognizes one of the character as Theorin's servant, your pick. Also Beahl recognizes one as well. Come up with whatever reasons you wish. Overheard conversation, documents, etc...
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2006, 06:40:09 PM »

I am going to go with the assumption that Sareth knows about most other enforcers, is it okay Harrowed?

See above messages, you caught me typing. Edit that IC post to reflect the above if you get there before someone responds. Speaking of which ... if you respond don't quote LM's post, give him a chance to edit it.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 06:41:58 PM by Harrowed » Logged
Lord Melkor
Lightbearer

« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2006, 06:46:00 PM »

See above messages, you caught me typing. Edit that IC post to reflect the above if you get there before someone responds. Speaking of which ... if you respond don't quote LM's post, give him a chance to edit it.

Them my last IC post is invalid, I will delete it and post later.
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2006, 06:49:09 PM »

Them my last IC post is invalid, I will delete it and post later.

Cool, Sareth does recognize one of the 'group' of Enforcers as Theorin's servant.
Lord Melkor
Lightbearer

« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2006, 05:47:12 PM »

Let`s say he recognizes Shelg, who is likely to be the one most famous among Shadow followers, elflings serving Shadow should be extremally rare.
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2006, 01:27:56 AM »

likely to be the one most famous among Shadow followers

Shelg does have a fan-club in several major cities... Wink
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-0

« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2006, 09:48:50 AM »

Secretly, Amara actually has a Shelg fan-club tattoo on her butt, but is too shy to admit to recognising her hero... Wink
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #137 on: November 13, 2006, 07:04:58 PM »

Beahl's Diplomacy check ... clatter ... clatter ... [19+14=33]
Red Taleel's attitude shifted from Hostile to Indifferent.
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #138 on: November 14, 2006, 01:36:01 PM »

OOC: Can I cast Detect Thoughts on Red Taleel unnoticed?

You can try. Concealing spellcasting is a ... blink ... blink ... crap.

GM FU failing me ... damn.

Already, who know what the hell a conceal spell casting check requires? I'm drawing a blank over here.
Nifelhein
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +22/-0

Whisper's Will

« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2006, 03:36:28 PM »

Harrowed,

There is a feat in sorcery for hiding spellcasting, I would say you can hide the verbal as conversation to someone, provided the person helps that, somatic as normal talking gesticulation, no direct observation required, test would be bluff against sense motive, I would add penalties for somatic and verbal components, as well as material, at -5 each. Alternatively you can use sleight of hand for somatic and bluff for verbal, material and general performance.

You couldn't hide the effect or where the effect come from though, not the case in detect thoughts. This is all ad hoc ruling though, since nothing truly allows one to cast spells without them being shown as such. Spellcasters (or those with rtanks in it) would be able to use spellcraft instead of sense motive, this would make hiding a spell somewhat possible but truly difficult if any spellcaster is nearby.

This idea is based in the Subtle Caster feat, found in Sorcery and Shadow, see it at Darkness Falls.

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects."
 - Attributed to Herman Melville.
Ghola
Lightbearer

« Reply #140 on: November 14, 2006, 04:01:27 PM »

I took that feat for Beahl but sadly didn't read up on the mechanics - there's nothing I can find in the SRD about concealing spellcasting, and nothing in my copy of the 2nd ed Midnight book.  As the feat came from a 1st ed supplement I'm thinking there is something in MN01 about it (don't have it with me at work).

"New heroes will arise, driven by fate, to lead the world out of darkness and herald the coming of a new dawn." -  Aran Noros of the Sahi Priesthood, Commentaries on Vesra’s “Prophecies of the Last Age”
Lord Melkor
Lightbearer

« Reply #141 on: November 14, 2006, 04:39:18 PM »

Well, the duration of detect thoughts is one minute/per level, and it takes one standard action to cast. I assume Sareth can cast it when he is not seen by anyone.
Nifelhein
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +22/-0

Whisper's Will

« Reply #142 on: November 14, 2006, 04:41:25 PM »

There isn't anything on that anywher I have seen in all my DMing years, hat is why i suggested the monster above... man i hate D20.
Berova
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #143 on: November 14, 2006, 05:08:49 PM »

Tell me if this sounds like it comes close (although it is an epic level feat):

AUTOMATIC SILENT SPELL [EPIC]
Prerequisites: Silent Spell, Spellcraft 24 ranks, ability to cast 9th-level arcane or divine spells.
Benefit: The character may cast all 0-, 1st-, 2nd-, and 3rd-level spells as silent spells without using higher-level spell slots.

Special: A character can gain this feat multiple times. Each time a character takes the feat, the spells of his or her next three lowest spell levels can now be silenced with no adjustment to their spell slots. This feat doesn’t increase the casting time for those spells that normally become full-round actions when cast in metamagic form. However, since bard spells can’t be enhanced with the Silent Spell feat, they can’t be affected by this feat either.
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #144 on: November 14, 2006, 05:49:37 PM »

There isn't anything on that anywher I have seen in all my DMing years, hat is why i suggested the monster above... man i hate D20.

The trick to D20 is when you can't quickly reference a rule, like now, you just make something up.  mrgreen

So Bluff ... vs ... Sense Motive.

Hmmm, Detect Thoughts has V, and S components. So you can whisper to yourself, the area is crowded and other conversations are happening so we're going to say that one is a freebee.

S ... hmmm, I'm going to rule that he can disguise it as something with either a Sleight of Hand or a Dex check. It's crude but we'll use it for now.

Lord M: Yeah, but people look around, espcially in circumstances like this .. so there is a minor chance. Shelg is the only one that really has the Legate as a focus.

So no Sleight of Hand but he's got a decent Dex.

Sareth's Dex check ... clatter ... clatter ... [15+2=17]
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #145 on: November 14, 2006, 05:59:56 PM »

Red Taleel's Will Save ... clatter ... clatter ... [DC14][9+4=13] Failure
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #146 on: November 14, 2006, 06:16:43 PM »

Speaking of attention, since Shelg's studying the Legate we'll see if he notices something is up ...

Shelg's Spot check ... clatter ... clatter ... [DC17] [10+8=18] Success
Ghola
Lightbearer

« Reply #147 on: November 14, 2006, 07:12:52 PM »

Looks like saying Red has an "appetite" is something of an understatement.   Laugh
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #148 on: November 14, 2006, 11:15:59 PM »

Looks like saying Red has an "appetite" is something of an understatement.   Laugh

That's what you get when you read someone's mind.
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #149 on: November 15, 2006, 03:28:39 PM »

Okay, so the Negotiating phase.

To keep things moving we'll handle this in OoC

Red Taleel wants 400vp per character to transport you to Halisport.

Diplomacy checks can be made to reduce/haggle the price down.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: Under A Pale Gray Sky [OoC]
Jump to: