Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 29, 2020, 10:29:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Avoid offending or attacking other users, be polite and well mannered and only good will come from it.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Under a Pale Grey Sky [IC]  (Read 117628 times)
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #325 on: July 07, 2007, 03:53:35 AM »

Shelg

Shelg heard the cries of the merchants and buyers of the marketplace and could even feel their eyes upon him, but his eyes were on the vulture. For a moment he thought that the bird-of-prey was looking at him, it's eyes briefly locking with his as it turned its head, but that moment passed quickly. The vulture spread its wings and flew away, and Shelg followed it with his eyes till it disappeared from his view behind some trees.

Quote from: Harrowed
Ranjip
"This is an auspicious day, the spirits have blessed both you and my humble self. It has been my honor to serve the spirits will in this, I will take what ever humble payment you deem appropriate."

"Blessed?" said Shelg returning his gaze to the merchant, "As you say it. As for payment... I fear I have not much to offer, my tools are of the predator as you have seen. As he looked down on the knives he felt the pull of his black sword, weighing on his back in its' scabbard. Slowly drawing it out, he placed the black short sword on the counter between him and Ranjip, but he did not look up at the merchant, his eyes were going up and down along the black blade and hilt he carried for so long: scrutinizing it, remembering it, and as his hand hovered above it, feeling it without touching.

It felt both right and wrong to give it away, Shelg could not tell which feeling prevailed. "I have been carrying this for a long time," he said finally looking up at the merchant. "Will you take it?"
Lord Melkor
Lightbearer

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #326 on: July 07, 2007, 08:17:45 AM »

Sareth met Amara`s gaze intently when she questions his ability to maintain the disguise, but his expression very quickly turns to amusement.

"Oh, Amara, I thought that you already know me better than this. And no one who knows Theorin would think think that he can choose someone incapable of subtlety as his Enforcer. I certainly learned few lessons on humility,  long before I left Theros Obsidia for the first time. Still, your advice sounds good, let`s go."

As they walk, Sareth looks around with interest, as he hasn`t seen a place like this under the rule of Shadow. However.....

"I see that you start to like this place, Amara. It certainly seems quite idyllic, and the people here seem to enjoy the kind of peace one cannot find in the rest of Eredane. But we unfortunately cannot lower our guard to enjoy G`tul, this appearance may yet prove to be an illusion....and if we the One God ever wills for this city to fall, no Dragon will be able to save those people." -He shrugs a bit, and continues with his masquerade, following Amara as expecting his "bodyguard" to make a passage  through the crowd, speaking to her with tone observers may expect the wealthy merchant to give orders.

As the merchant aproaches them, he studies him, gesturing to Amara for translation.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 11:40:35 AM by Lord Melkor » Logged
Harrowed
Editor

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-1

« Reply #327 on: July 07, 2007, 12:11:06 PM »

Shelg

It felt both right and wrong to give it away, Shelg could not tell which feeling prevailed. "I have been carrying this for a long time," he said finally looking up at the merchant. "Will you take it?"

The merchant stared at the blade, "I accept,' reaching over the counter he takes the blade and sets it out of sight on the counter. "If I might make a humble suggestion, wear those blades with pride. The spirits chose you to have them, a predator does not hide among the sheep. It devours them."

I like the cut of your jib. How do I subscribe to your newsletter?
-RPG.net
arnon

« Reply #328 on: July 07, 2007, 03:13:15 PM »

Shelg

The cuts stopped bleeding quickly enough, but some drops have run down the sides of his hands, I will clean them later, he thought as the blood dried. As the merchant speaks Shelg sheathes the knives carefully knowing that he will have to arrange an appropriate scabbard for both blades. "A Predator devours, yes, but he knows when to show himself," he responds to the Ranjip. "Thank you," he says to the merchant as he turns away and leaves the counter.

He looks up at Grrrak next to him as he walks, "That was interesting," he said to the huge orc. It was, he thought to himself while unconsciously thumbing the hilts of his new knives, I gave my blood and my blade... and yet, I feel that it was right. It was right.
Berova
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #329 on: July 07, 2007, 11:48:33 PM »

Grrrak

Grrrak grunted and gave Shelg a nod of assent, quipping, "May the 'Vulture's Delight' serve you well."  Grrrak's keen eyes observed the twin red blades in Shelg's hands.  To Grrrak they appeared as if they were always meant to be.  He then added, "I am not used to dealing with such vipers... er, traders... when Odrendor want or have need to acquire weapons, someone else usually bleeds.  We do not usually pay with our own blood for such things..."[/color]

Turning his attentions back to the strange merchant to complete their task at hand, Grrrak returned to speaking in the tongue of commerce, "Deep canteens and desert cloths you say...  Trader, we may have need for such things, enough for a half dozen, including one as large as such as me."  Grrrak paused long enough to hear the merchant Ranjip answer if he would or could accommodate their needs before further inquiring, "As a merchant of the desert, you must know of its secrets... of mystical elixirs or perhaps accoutrements that might aid one such as I to survive such harsh climes, especially one so encumbered such as myself.  Also, you must, as well, be familiar with ways to avoid and, when that is not possible, ways to combat her  deadly... predators... perhaps you can enlighten a stranger in a strange land?"
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 12:05:53 AM by Berova » Logged
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #330 on: July 08, 2007, 03:30:01 PM »

Grrrak

"Deep canteens and desert cloths you say...  Trader, we may have need for such things, enough for a half dozen, including one as large as such as me."

"I can accomodate you and your companions. If you are planning to travel deep into the desert I would humbly recommend a guide plus camels."

"As a merchant of the desert, you must know of its secrets... of mystical elixirs or perhaps accoutrements that might aid one such as I to survive such harsh climes, especially one so encumbered such as myself.  Also, you must, as well, be familiar with ways to avoid and, when that is not possible, ways to combat her  deadly... predators... perhaps you can enlighten a stranger in a strange land?"

"I would be honored to help,' he looks towards Shelg, 'those that travel with the spirit blessed."

"What you need to understand about the desert is that her predators strike from surprise and kill with a single strike."

He reached behind the counter and withdrew a small cage. Inside was a scorpion, Grrrak had seen drawings of them before. Small desert predators that killed with their claws but mostly with the venomed stinger on their backs.

"These creatures are the greatest danger that the desert poses. However, the ones that we have in our desert stand as tall as you and have plates thick enough that arrows cannot penetrate. You must strike at their soft underbelly, their armor is very thin there."
Berova
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #331 on: July 09, 2007, 02:52:16 AM »

Grrrak

"As tall as I, you say... then that would mean these things are bigger than... a long boat..." His thought trailed off as he allowed Ranjip to continue.

Intrigued by the tactical challenge by such a formidable predator as the desert merchant described, Grrrak asked, "I see... soft underbelly... thin armor... yes, eviserate it, but how would one do so while avoiding that venomed stinger?  Do they hunt in packs?"

"We'll have a guide... but you pointed to the need for those cloths and deep canteens of yours.  What of the elements?  Out from the North, we're accustomed to snow drifts... and blizzards... is not the climate always like this?" Grrrak pointing to the idyllic weather they are experiencing in G'Tul.  "If not, as you infer, what other precautions do you suggest?"
arnon

« Reply #332 on: July 09, 2007, 04:09:26 AM »

Shelg

Shelg studied the small creature, a scorpion, he remembered, carefully and with great interest. It would indeed be interesting to see such a creature in a larger size.
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-0

« Reply #333 on: July 11, 2007, 11:56:29 AM »

Amara offers a deep bow and a wry grin to River Rider.

"We may converse in a tongue more appropriate to one who wields the curved blade", she offers, "or continue in the tongue of trade, if you prefer...."

Continuing in his chosen language, she adopts a somewhat more business-like manner.  "I have been commissioned to investigate a broad spread of options, to lay before my master a feast of opportunity, if possible.  We would be interested in hearing of opportunities here in G'Tul that might pique the interest of a far-ranging traveller - and would also welcome access to your lore of the dunes and what might lie within them.  Similarly, should there be one here whom you might recommend as a proficient worker of the arts of will-shaping, or a seer of distant events and possible futures, I would be glad to know how to tell my master what must be done to meet with them.  A trader in genuine antiquities, or items of lore and learning, or even untranslated texts or mysterious artefacts - all would potentially pique my master's interest."

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #334 on: July 12, 2007, 02:28:55 PM »

Amara offers a deep bow and a wry grin to River Rider.

"We may converse in a tongue more appropriate to one who wields the curved blade", she offers, "or continue in the tongue of trade, if you prefer...."

"Please, the tongue of trade. I know many languages but most native to our blessed isle."

"I have been commissioned to investigate a broad spread of options, to lay before my master a feast of opportunity, if possible.  We would be interested in hearing of opportunities here in G'Tul that might pique the interest of a far-ranging traveller - and would also welcome access to your lore of the dunes and what might lie within them.  Similarly, should there be one here whom you might recommend as a proficient worker of the arts of will-shaping, or a seer of distant events and possible futures, I would be glad to know how to tell my master what must be done to meet with them.  A trader in genuine antiquities, or items of lore and learning, or even untranslated texts or mysterious artefacts - all would potentially pique my master's interest."

"I know of several merchants in G'Tul that deal in antiquities. Furniture, jewelry, urns, all of great age and preserved condition. But your second request, a seer. I know of two. One is a creature called Walker-of-Dunes, it lives out in the desert and has takes goods and services in trade for it's knowledge in the past. The second lives here in G'Tul, one of the desert tribe. Uris, she lives up on the bluff." He points towards the waterfall and extends a finger heavy in gold band towards the top of the waterfall.

Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #335 on: July 26, 2007, 05:37:59 PM »

Amara nods thoughtfully, eyeing the direction in which he points, before glancing to Sareth.

"I think that we might be interested in viewing the antiquities of which you speak... and also in visiting these seers.  Do the two of them have reputations or abilities that differ significantly?"
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #336 on: July 29, 2007, 11:31:32 AM »

Amara nods thoughtfully, eyeing the direction in which he points, before glancing to Sareth.

"I think that we might be interested in viewing the antiquities of which you speak... and also in visiting these seers.  Do the two of them have reputations or abilities that differ significantly?"

"I can arrange the antiquities, they are spread out over several shops but all are close. I shall arrange suitable transport. As to the seers, they are vastly different in temperament. Uris, is quite friendly towards those that appreciate her and her gifts. Walker on the other hand is rumored to have eaten a petitioner that showed disrespect.

He claps his hands in a short pattern, and the child that was lingering outside of hearing range runs off.

Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #337 on: July 29, 2007, 11:42:07 AM »

Grrrak

Intrigued by the tactical challenge by such a formidable predator as the desert merchant described, Grrrak asked, "I see... soft underbelly... thin armor... yes, eviserate it, but how would one do so while avoiding that venomed stinger?  Do they hunt in packs?"

"Since it cannot see underneath it, it's attacks below are crude and guided more by luck. But they do not hunt in packs, a predator that size must consume much food, the desert could not support more than a few in a large area.

"We'll have a guide... but you pointed to the need for those cloths and deep canteens of yours.  What of the elements?  Out from the North, we're accustomed to snow drifts... and blizzards... is not the climate always like this?" Grrrak pointing to the idyllic weather they are experiencing in G'Tul.  "If not, as you infer, what other precautions do you suggest?"

"Our climate,' he stumbles over the word, 'ah, the weather. Yes, we have a season of storms and rain along the coast later in the year. That season can be difficult, but we enjoy the delight you see the rest of the year. Several kilometers into the desert things change, vastly. Take water, twice as much as you should need. The days are warm and the nights cold, if your guide knows his trade you will travel partly during the day, in the coolest parts, and in the night before the darkest comes.
Berova
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #338 on: July 30, 2007, 01:08:21 AM »

Grrrak

Grrrak contemplated the merchant's words... "There was wisdom in his words." A viper he might be, as all traders are, but he viewed this one with a new found respect.  Grrrak might not have been one of the brightest being born especially when it came to things that were not tactical in nature, but his sheer tactical acumen, honed through generations of breeding, inculcation, and need, more than offset any lack of raw intelligence when confronted by a deadly foe.  When it looked like Shelg and Daniel were ready to go, Grrrak quipped to the Trader Ranjip in parting, "G'Tul bring you prosperity in everything you do."
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #339 on: July 30, 2007, 07:58:14 PM »

Grrrak

"G'Tul bring you prosperity in everything you do."

He smiled, revealing several missing teeth, ""To you as well my large friend. May you return burdened in wealth, with memories of our friendship."
Lord Melkor
Lightbearer

« Reply #340 on: July 31, 2007, 02:54:38 PM »

Sareth gives an approving nod to Amara, as she transaltes her conversation with the River Rider.

"Those antiquities dealers may indeed be a step in right direction- perhaps something from that lost ship could reach the city, though there is possibility that no one else has ever found about it- few have Theorin`s resources or brains"-  He scratches his small beard.

"I am not sure whether we can gain something from those Seers- if we have to, Uris seems like less troublesome person, but there is always a catch.... perhaps this Dune Walker has some real power?"
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:58:24 PM by Lord Melkor » Logged
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #341 on: August 07, 2007, 05:40:16 PM »

Amara proceeds to try to wrap up arrangements to view these antiquities - personally eager, if nothing else, to see if anything of note might turn up.

She remains non-committal about which seer might be visited, intending to present the rest of their companions with the information gleaned about where to find them and how to approach each magician.
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #342 on: August 11, 2007, 10:52:17 AM »

Arc of Halial, 20th Day
Early Afteroon
Clear Skies
The streets of G'Tul

The rickshaw was pulled by several burly men, one of whom kept eying Amara's better female attributes when he felt that she wasn't looking. The merchant led them from antiquity shop to shop. Most of them held junk, old junk that wasn't worth the prices in barter that wanted.

The real treasure was in the merchant's tongue, a man who seemed to love the sound of his own voice. The conversation was skillfully directed by Sarath and Amara to the two seers and their habits.

Uris, was known to be quite vain being a moderately attractive woman who lived alone on the bluffs. A skilled cliff diver, once a year on the anniversary of G'Tul's founding she, to the delight of the children, dives from the top of the G'Tul cliffs into the harbor below. Most of her predictions are short term only, people consult her about short term deals, potential mating, the weather for the week. In those areas she's know to be rarely wrong. The merchant recommends buying her clothing as a gift, she appreciates the finer things. Amara does remember seeing several dresses, a few shops back.

Walker-of-the-Dunes, less is know about it. People that have petitioned it for luck have never returned quite the same, some have returned as better men, others ate sand until they died. None of them spoke of the same creature, always a different form. For some it was a two legged creature made of lizard scales, others for them it was a giant desert lizard, several even spoke of the creature as a statue of stone that walked. It's lair is in one of the most dangerous areas of the desert known for giant scorpions, and venomous snakes. For obvious reasons Walker is consulted much less that Uris but has never been known to be wrong.

As Amara and Sareth depart, to meet up with Grrrak and Shelg, the merchant wishes them good luck and the man with the wandering eyes slips Amara a note with an address that smells of spice and sweat.
Lord Melkor
Lightbearer

« Reply #343 on: August 12, 2007, 04:59:54 AM »

"You are doing a great job, Amara. I must confess that this Walker-of-Dunes captures my interest.....provided that we need to visit to Seer at all, of which I not sure of, I don`t think that this woman giving advice to lovers would be of any use in our mission."- He strokes his beard, wondering about possibilities and opinions of other Enforcers.
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #344 on: August 16, 2007, 07:19:35 AM »

Amara nods pensively, eyeing the address with interest before tucking it away.

"I might actually disagree on that point, thinking about it.  If she can predict the next few days' weather with reliable accuracy, and we are set to venture into unknown wastes with which none of us are familiar, the more fore-warning the better.  I am tempted, if we can barter for suitable attire for her, to pay her a visit and gain her predictions for the inland route.

Similarly, if she can indeed provide some guidance as to the course of significant interactions... she might be able to offer some insight into Walker and his likely response to us.

I might also just have acquired an address at which I might be able to find out... other things.  G'Tul seems not to hide much of its trade, but I am sure that there is an underbelly to the place... and this might perhaps be a route into it.

Most likely not worth pursuing if it would delay our journey to see Walker, but it might be worth investigating if there is time."

((Ack!  Sorry.  RL's been a bitch of late))
arnon

« Reply #345 on: August 29, 2007, 03:05:00 AM »

Shelg

The sun was climbing higher in the Asmadarian sky Shelg noted, as they walked away from Ranjip's stall. The handles of his twin knives were warm in his hand as he held them steady so that their uncovered body would not cut through his clothes and skin. I'll have to find a couple of scabbards for them, he though and started going in his mind through the inventory he remembered seeing on the Clear Sky.

"We should be heading back to the Clear Sky," he said to Grrrak and Daniel as they walked, his eyes searching the market for Amara and Sareth, "The guide to take us to the Walker should be arriving soon... if he managed to arrange one."
Berova
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #346 on: August 29, 2007, 08:14:39 AM »

Grrrak

With thoughts of giant scorpions still dancing in his head, Grrrak nodded in agreement with Shelg.  "Everything we've seen thus far has been intriguing.  The Walker will probably not disappoint us in that respect at least."  Grrrak uses his supreme height advantage to look for their companions amongst the throng that is the market.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 12:03:53 PM by Berova » Logged
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #347 on: August 31, 2007, 02:05:26 AM »

Amara and Sareth were easy to spot, even through the teeming crowd. Grrrak's height advantage, and a little luck.

The two were just bidding goodbye to a fat man in bright robes.
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #348 on: September 05, 2007, 02:54:06 AM »

Gathering the Enforcers together they exchange information, at least a few snippets enough to maintain an image of teamwork.

Such is life in the employ of the Shadow.

"I am of G'tul, and I am to take you into the desert to the Walker-of-Dunes." The speaker was a young man, maybe 5' 5" in height and younger than thirty years. He could be best described as craggy. His face and hands looked like they had seen hard use, especially his face. It had the appearance of a tight leather mask pulled over bone. He was equipped for a trip into the desert. His garb was light, and colored a strange mixture of desert colors. His weapons, a short spear of wood and dull metal with a ugly broad head, and a plain hand axe looked like they had seen plenty of use.

"When do we leave for the Dunes?"
Berova
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #349 on: September 07, 2007, 12:39:27 PM »

Grrrak

"Greetings G'tul.  I am Grrrak.  How many days travel into the desert is this Walker-of-Dunes?"

ooc: Grrrak's large waterskin already is 4 times as big (and heavy) as a regular waterskin, but if necessary, Grrrak can carry another 4-5 regular waterskins.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: Under a Pale Grey Sky [IC]
Jump to: