Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 29, 2020, 10:10:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Only Admins and Global Moderators can post threads on the News forum, but all logged users can reply to them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Under a Pale Grey Sky [IC]  (Read 117627 times)
Harrowed
Editor

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-1

« on: August 21, 2006, 08:42:05 AM »

Arc of Sennach, 6th Day
Midnight
Clear Skies

Shelg

Easily slipping away under the cover of Orcish snores and the cloak of night Shelg slips back up the hill and to the small circle of the Enforcers waiting for him

I like the cut of your jib. How do I subscribe to your newsletter?
-RPG.net
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 08:42:57 AM »

Quote from: lordvoss
Kunin-Zir

The man looked at him in surprise, for a brief moment a light shined in his eyes and he seemed to straighten up. Then it was gone, his back slumped and he shook his head. 'Where would I go? What would I do? I have no family left.

He should have expected such a pathetic response. Actually is sounded more like an excuse than a response. An excuse not to fight back, or even try to make something meaningful out of a meager existence. Yet for some reason, the question caught the warrior off gaurd.

"I care not what you do, or if even you do anything. Where would you go? Anywhere. That is the whole point. You could go anywhere without being told to go somewhere. Of course, there is no one place that will  hide you forever, eventually you will be seen, and that brings up your next question. What will you do? You will fight back! Fight for your life and your freedom, and that of your family for generations to come. But I forgot, you have no family left. Yes, but that doesn't mean you will never have another family. The family that you once had, tell me Boatman, would they be happy with your current situation? Would they be proud of the man standing before me? Or would they be ashamed of you? And what about you? Are you proud of yourself, or does the guilt you feel inside eat at your very soul, day after miserable day?"

He paused for a moment, noting to himself at how pathetic he was now sounding. He knew that this man would most likely die before daybreak if freed. But he wasn't trying to save his life. Not at all, Kunin-Zir was simply trying to fuel the human need for revenge.

"I cannot tell you where to go, or what to do, I simply do not care. Choice is your, Boatman. As for the rest of us... we are getting off this thing. We should be far enough away by now."
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 08:43:22 AM »

Quote from: berova
Grrrak

Grrrak realized it was something that he had to work on, but his patience was wearing extremely thin when Shelg returned stealthily.   "What did you find?" Grrrak gnashed his sharpened teeth as he waited for Shelg's answer.
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 10:25:22 AM »

Shelg

Reaching the others, Shelg first goes to his pack and takes a swing from his waterskin and then splashes some of it on his face. He looked up at Grrrak, "Quite a bit actually, Grrrak. There was the woman the old geezer told us about... nine orcs, one legate and his sniffing demon, and a little girl packed up like a sack of coals." Shelg took another sip of water and looked at the others, "The Legate, i can't remember his name, was talking with the woman in the wagon. I couldn't get nearer to hear anything... he was probably 'negotiating' her to guide him south. He then left the wagon and whispered in his horses ear. I have a feeling she isn't satisfied, whatever the arrangement between her and the legate were."

He looked over at the location again. "I don't know if their planning to stay the night there. And at any reate, i don't think we have enough people to ambush them as it is... not nine orcs and a legate."
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2006, 08:05:33 AM »

Arc of Sennach, 6th Day
Midnight
Clear Skies

Shelg, Grrrak, Yuthel, and Daniel

From below, in the direction of the camp, comes a loud bellow. Then Orcish screams and howls, followed by more Orcihs tones only raised in laughter this time.

Shelg suspects that the sleeping guard has been discovered by his companions.
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2006, 08:09:13 AM »

He should have expected such a pathetic response. Actually is sounded more like an excuse than a response. An excuse not to fight back, or even try to make something meaningful out of a meager existence. Yet for some reason, the question caught the warrior off gaurd.

"I care not what you do, or if even you do anything. Where would you go? Anywhere. That is the whole point. You could go anywhere without being told to go somewhere. Of course, there is no one place that will  hide you forever, eventually you will be seen, and that brings up your next question. What will you do? You will fight back! Fight for your life and your freedom, and that of your family for generations to come. But I forgot, you have no family left. Yes, but that doesn't mean you will never have another family. The family that you once had, tell me Boatman, would they be happy with your current situation? Would they be proud of the man standing before me? Or would they be ashamed of you? And what about you? Are you proud of yourself, or does the guilt you feel inside eat at your very soul, day after miserable day?"

He paused for a moment, noting to himself at how pathetic he was now sounding. He knew that this man would most likely die before daybreak if freed. But he wasn't trying to save his life. Not at all, Kunin-Zir was simply trying to fuel the human need for revenge.

"I cannot tell you where to go, or what to do, I simply do not care. Choice is your, Boatman. As for the rest of us... we are getting off this thing. We should be far enough away by now."

He looks at Kunin-Zir and hangs his head, "They'd be ashamed of me. I'll help you the best I can, I know this river well."

He glances out the dirty porthole, "You want to wait another hour before you get off the barge. The Shadow runs roads up and down both banks, they'll be looking for you. There is a spot where the river bends near a bog, dropped off there you can escape into the bog and avoid their patrols."
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 10:19:56 AM »

Arc of Sahaad, 10th Day
Late Evening
Clear Skies

Kunin-Zir

Coughing up water from his lungs, he franticly grabbed at the slime covered branches. Caught in the weeds near the bank they were strong enough to hold his weight just above water.

The tears from near drowning clear from his eyes and he looked back towards the barge. The flames roaring from it's deck made it easy to see. Again he cursed their luck.

The boatman has seen it first, bearing down on them out of the fog. A massive frigate with lanterns lit and crew at the rails, their howls of excitement infected the boatman with fear. In his terror to escape he tried to manuver around the frigate but only succeeded in steering directly in its path.

The crew had rained fiery arrows as the Enforcers fled across the deck. Scampering like rats from piles of garbage to the next pile desperately trying to avoid the archers.

Drakan had been the first to fall, attempting to draw off the archers by heading to another pile of refuse he was struck in the calf. As he stumbled a half dozen arrows pinned him to the deck.

Shiva almost made it, struck at the edge of the deck by first one arrow, then another, and another. Then came the strange part, as Kunin huddled under a chunk of rotted door. Mist started to drift out of Shiva's mouth, then his eyes, in moments it was pouring out onto the deck. In a few seconds it changed from a cloud of mist to a physical form. It stood over nine feet tall, it's skin shimmered crimson in the torch light. Horns on either side of its head were capped in metal and long claws in place of fingers.

"Freedom. Free at last from that meat puppet."

Bat like wings unfurlled from its back as it started to run across the deck. Peering around the corner Kunin could see several volleys of arrows bounce harmlessly from it's flesh. The cries of victory turned to terror as the creature lept from the barge into the air. Taking flight for a few second it dove onto the deck of the ship. The cries of terror turned to screams of horror.

Not one to miss an opportunity Kunin started to run from the barge, stopping for a moment he grabbed the bowl from Shiva's pack. I need to find out what is going on?

Taking several more steps he plunged from the barge into the frigid water. The weight from his equipment dragged at his already tired muscles. He just barely managed to make it to the clumps of branches, shore mere yards away.

Flames from the barge were licking at the front of the frigate as screams and crunching noises drifted across the river.
lordvoss
Heepa-Heepa

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2006, 01:17:00 AM »

"What the hell was that thing?"
He wondered as he made his way from the bank of the river, the glow of fire and screams of horror behind him.
He had now idea where he would go, but he needed to find out what was going on. What was that thing in the temple, and why are the other legates after him?
All things would come in time he guessed. Right now, he needed to find a place to hole up for a time. Maybe they would think he was dead with the rest of those back there, and stop their search for him. That would buy him some time.
What ever was going on, one thing was for sure... someone needed to pay. He had finally started to feel comfortable with people, and now those people were dead. Someone would have to die for that. He would avenge them.
Armed with his bastard sword and his hatred, he dissapeared into the night.

"So Let It Be Written, So Let It Be Done"

~V~
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2006, 06:14:17 PM »

Arc of Sennach, 6th Day
Early Morning
Clear Skies

Shelg, Grrrak, and Daniel

The fires have gone out having burned up their source of fuel, namely the wagon. Trickles of light manage to shine through the heavy morning clouds. What they illuminate isn't a pretty sight, at least to all but a hardened warrior like Grrrak.

Everything went according to plan for a short while, and then it all went to shit.

The boulders that Grrrak rained down on the encampment kept them scattered and confused, Shelg was close enough to snipe at Orcs from different directions, trying to appear as if their numbers were greater than they truely were. Yuthel provided what arcane support he could, with Daniel close by his side.

Yuthel getting killed is when it went bad. The Legate's wolf managed to stalk close to him and attack, they were too close together for Shelg to help and he was focused on keeping the Orcs pinned down. When Shelg could get his attention back the wolf had tore out Yuthel's throat. As he fell back, dead, to the plains Shelg focused on the Orcs, there was nothing that could be done for Yuthel now.

Grrrak was able to close and assault the Orcs from their flanks. The sight of his massive frame and long reach broke the Orcs morale and their Legate's will. Gathering his forces they rushed Grrrak, who was forced to retreat, and disappeared into the night.

The Legate had set the contact's wagon ablaze, and since the battle there had been no sign of her.

To both Grrrak's and Shelg's surprise Daniel survived. As they mopped up the dying Orcs in the camp she walked in, blood covered her and she carried the head of the wolf which she tossed into what was left of the burning wagon. Her face has taken on a much harder expression, gone is the joyful, happy girl that was always at Yuthel's side. What is left is something else.
arnon

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2006, 12:18:44 AM »

Shelg

Shelg pulled the last arrow he found from the dead Orc, checked the tip, and threw it away. Useless.

His ears picked up Daniels' footsteps as she came into the clearing, all bloody and carrying the wolf's head. Shelg followed her with his eyes, no fear in her now, he thought as he straightened from his crouched position over the decapitated Orc. Is this how they are born?

Shelg shook his head and set his thoughts again upon the encampment. "The woman most still be around somewhere," he said over his shoulder to Grrrak, as he again viewed the carnage, again counting the number of dead Orcs, "and I wouldn't want to stay here too long."

Walking over to the burning wagon he tried to keep the smell of the burning hair and flesh of the wolf's head out of his nostrils. Circling the wagon he scrutinized the ground, trying to make order out the the mess. Shelg was no tracker but he had a knack for finding clues to what he was searching.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 12:21:13 AM by arnon » Logged
Berova
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2006, 01:23:45 AM »

Grrrak

To Grrrak's surprise, the girl not only survived, but had appeared to take out the legate's pet wolf.  Yuthel meant little to Grrrak, though apparently, that was altogether different to Daniel.  Of greater concern to Grrrak, the legate managed to escape once more even though he expected nothing less given their numbers.  For now at least, Grrrak would have to console himself the legate lost many more Orcs than the cowardly servant started with this day.

Grrrak proceeded to quickly help with the search.  "You certain, the legate didn't snatch her away?"  He too was anxious to get under way.  With that warhorse and the orcs in two, it would not be difficult to track down the legate.

ooc: If the legate started with 9 orcs, how many survived with him?
arnon

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2006, 03:17:19 AM »

Shelg

"I don't think he'd encumber himself with another prisoner," Shelg repleid not raising his eyes from the ground, "he's got that little girl tied on his horse. I'm guessing he tried to kill that woman."
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2006, 08:06:04 AM »

Shelg

Walking over to the burning wagon he tried to keep the smell of the burning hair and flesh of the wolf's head out of his nostrils. Circling the wagon he scrutinized the ground, trying to make order out the the mess. Shelg was no tracker but he had a knack for finding clues to what he was searching.

It helps when the clues aren't hard to find. At the back side of the wagon it appears that several contains or some sort of liquid, wine maybe by the smell. Right in the middle of one of the wet muddy spots is a foot print. It's small, might be a woman's and it's deep. Like it would be if someone had jumped from a height.

Several more footprints lead away towards the far path out of the courtyard.
arnon

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2006, 08:10:43 AM »

Shelg

"Here," Shelg calls out over the burning wagon, and start following the trail of footprints as fast as he can without loosing them.
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2006, 08:33:30 AM »

Shelg

"Here," Shelg calls out over the burning wagon, and start following the trail of footprints as fast as he can without loosing them.

The tracks lead out of the courtyard and out onto the plains. A few dozen feet outside of the courtyard and the tracks start to fade, a few more feet and they're gone. The harder ground of the plains soil hinders Shelg's limited tracking ability.

However, it's only been a few hours since the battle. The woman is on foot, and possibly injured. The Enforcers have horses.
Berova
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2006, 08:49:53 AM »

Grrrak

Grrrak bounded towards the direction Shelg indicated as if after some prey.  The hunt was on.  Grrrak's adrenalin was rushing through his veins once again.
arnon

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2006, 08:50:55 AM »

Shelg

Shelg returns to the courtyard. "She went that way," he points back the way he came from, "and she's on foot. Let's gather our horses and any supply we might find here before heading after her..." Shelg's voice trails off as he sets his eyes on Daniel again.

"We are going after the woman, girl. Where you go from here, I do not care. If you want to come with us fine, but you do not slow us down. Take Yuthel's horse." Shelg stops abruptly as if remembering something, looking at Grrrak "Did you make sure he doesn't raise?"
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2006, 09:01:03 AM »

Shelg

"We are going after the woman, girl. Where you go from here, I do not care. If you want to come with us fine, but you do not slow us down. Take Yuthel's horse." Shelg stops abruptly as if remembering something, looking at Grrrak "Did you make sure he doesn't raise?"

Arc of Sennach, 6th Day
Early Morning
Clear Skies

"Slow you down? I'm Sarcosian, try and keep up. Besides, this Legate owes me a blood debt.

She glances back, her face hard. "Yuthel won't come back, I've seen to it.

Berova
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2006, 09:44:16 PM »

Grrrak

Quote from: Harrowed
"Slow you down? I'm Sarcosian, try and keep up. Besides, this Legate owes me a blood debt.

"Good, a thirst for vengeance,"[/color] Grrrak thought, "that was motivation an Orc could understand."[/color]

She glances back, her face hard. "Yuthel won't come back, I've seen to it.

"Fear gone, this one will do whatever needs to be done. Good."[/color]

Grrrak stood straight, up to his full height, looking at the direction Shelg had indicated the woman fled.  "Gather your horses. I am ready to begin the hunt for our quarry."
arnon

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2006, 11:28:43 PM »

Shelg

Shelg almost smiled at her answer, but kept his face in check. However this turns, he thought looking at her, this could be interesting.

Finally he nodded shortly to her, "Go get the horses, I'll see what supplies I can salvage here." As she walked away to gather the horses Shelg glanced at Grrrak and said in his broken Orcish "We have keep eyes her."

And then he walk around the encampment, gathering whatever edible food he can find in the pack. He removes the handaxe from the belt of the Orc, checking it, and then dropping it near the pile of food he has already made. As he passes near the wagon he spots the golden egg, his curiosity is picked by this oddity and he picks it up, cleaning it on his sleeve as he takes a closer look at it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 11:39:27 PM by arnon » Logged
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 09:13:11 PM »

Shelg

As he passes near the wagon he spots the golden egg, his curiosity is picked by this oddity and he picks it up, cleaning it on his sleeve as he takes a closer look at it.

Turning it over and over in his hands he examines it. No maker's markings, no text carved into it. Examining it gets Shelg nothing.
arnon

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2006, 05:39:04 PM »

Shelg

Turning the egg over and over in his hand Shelg walks around the courtyard, waiting for Daniel to return with the horses.
Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2006, 05:48:12 PM »

Arc of Sennach, 6th Day
Late Morning
Clear Skies

The Enforcers were spread out across the high grass of the plains, several hundred feet between them as they hunted for a fled woman.

Sudden movement in front of Grrrak caught his attention. Crouched in the grass in front of him was the woman, an unattractive woman originally before last night fire. Half of her face was an angry red, bubbled and disfigured. Raised to her shoulder was the stock of a loaded heavy crossbow. She shifted it slightly and a glint from the bolt in the cradle caught Shelg's eye.

"Well, I'm not going to outrun you bastards so let's do this on my terms. Who wants the first round?"

Harrowed
Editor

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2006, 07:06:16 PM »

Arc of Sahaad, 11th Day
Early Morning
Clear Skies

Kunin-Zir

The Orc's hands weakly clawed at Kunin's grip. He could feel the strength of it's grip getting weaker as it fought. Kunin-Zir quickly glanced from side to side, the thick foilage hide his ambush from the rest of the Orc patrol. A quick motion of his wrist twisted the hilt of the sword protruding from the Or's back, a muffled gasp and the Orc died.

Grabbing the Orc under its arms he dragged it back into the thick bushes.

"This better work,' he muttered to himself. Following the directions that Shiva had shown him he quickly cut the Orc across the jugular. Holding out the bowl under the slow stream of blood he set it down as the blood reached the brim. Reaching underneath the bottom he ran a bloody finger across the rough symbols.

"Report."

The voice was clear and carried the weight of command. Legate Theorin.

Berova
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2006, 11:50:44 PM »

"Well, I'm not going to outrun you bastards so let's do this on my terms. Who wants the first round?"

"First round?  Human... there is no need to throw away your life so quickly; there will be no second round, just as you will get no second life.  We have no interest in your death... if you cooperate.  I am sure, we need not remind you, that legate left you for dead.  He knew we were quickly approaching and, despite his haste to save his own tail, he had your wagon set ablaze."  Grrrak paused long enough for what he said to the woman to sink in before continuing, "What say you?  Decide wisely, your life depends on it."

If the woman decides "What did the legate want with you?" Grrrak tightened the grip with his massive Vardatch as he awaited the woman's response.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: Under a Pale Grey Sky [IC]
Jump to: