Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2020, 04:08:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

You can enable or disable the quick reply box in your profile, be sure to change the settings to suit your own preferences.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: The Lore of Clan Goran - Chapter 13 - Sacrifice  (Read 1329 times)
Kane
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +12/-3

« on: June 21, 2010, 04:49:39 AM »

To our detriment, the tunnel we were fleeing down ran straight and true. We needed to throw off the pursuit, force the orcs to make choices about which trail to follow. For a day we ran, barely gaining any ground on the orcs. We were tired, angry, and frustrated that we had gotten so close. The brothers wanted to make a stand; make the orcs pay. They were afraid that we’d be too tired and be overtaken before we found a better place to defend.

We chose our ground; a stretch of tunnel barely six feet high, but wide enough for six of us to stand abreast. The orcs would be at a disadvantage, maybe enough to make up for their numbers. I put Horak to my left along the passage wall.  The feral dwarf had never fought in a battle line and he couldn’t be trusted to protect another’s flank. I knew he wouldn’t run and that he’d protect me as best he could.

We didn’t have to wait long. Out of the darkness came more then a dozen orcs. They tried to push through our lines, forced to stab forward with their weapons due to the constricted tunnel. We were pushed back several feet but held. The fighting was furious and I was forced to focus on just the few feet in front of me.  I could hear my friends crying out in pain, but there was nothing I could do about it. The minutes seemed to stretch into hours before the orcs retreated, leaving at least ten of their band dead at our feet.

As I caught my breath I looked to the rest of our patrol.  Ammos was dead, he head cleaved in. I was surprised that Horak was still alive. He was dripping blood from a deep gash but he had a fierce smile as he gripped his blood stained axe. He’d done well. We’d stopped the orcs advanced guard, but there would be more. We were going to die; it was just a matter of time. I had to get my journal back to the clan hold or everything we learned would be lost. Our lives spent for nothing.

We moved deeper into the tunnel. With luck we’d have a few hours before they would come again. Finally we found an area where the tunnel branched in three directions. I had what I needed and made my decision.  I pulled Sul, the youngest of the three brothers, aside and thrust my journal in his hands along with my supply of food and water. I told him to take one of the tunnels, hide, and wait for the orcs to pass. The rest of us would leave an obvious trail and face the orcs. The orcs wouldn’t know we were short one man and wouldn’t care.  If you’re reading this, then I’m dead, but my plan succeeded. Hopefully what I’ve learned will allow the clan to survive. Remember me and those who gave their lives for the life of the clan.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: The Lore of Clan Goran - Chapter 13 - Sacrifice
Jump to: