Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 22, 2019, 01:30:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

If you are unsure how a given part of the site will work, try using the help page, it can help you use codes and navigate the site.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Pre-game Discussion (Clarion Quietus)  (Read 7139 times)
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« on: June 10, 2010, 12:32:35 PM »

One of the things I do in my real life games is sit down before hand and talk about the story we are going to tell. I like to ask a series of questions and map out my ideas of gaming as a hobby, and our expectations of it. In real life, this tends to just be a bunch of people sitting around and BSing about the hobby and getting to know each other. It's become an important part of my gaming ritual, and I'd like to try it out in this format.

Scattered throughout are links to fill you in on some of where my ideas come from, as well as (hopefully) push more people into thinking clinically about the hobby. To me it's not enough to tell a story. It's equally important to understand how stories are told, and to understand what makes a story worth telling.

General stuff:

About Me:

I've been doing this for a while, and I'm fairly avid. I started with 1st Ed  AD&D and stayed with it through all it's various editions and changes. (I recently hit a schism and chose Pathfinder over 4e because of my view that Pathfinder is more mechanically diverse and stays truer to D&D's original "feel", but that's just an aside)

I've also played just about everything else under the sun, and being the nit-picky judgmental bastard that I am, I've eventually found most of them wanting. I prefer mechanics that support certain styles of gameplay, and am firmly in the "mechanics matter" camp. That's the reason for my dissection of the numbers and operations of the abilities, and my inclusion of so many "optional" rules. They add layers of complexity, but once gotten used to I firmly believe that they add to the experience by supporting the style that we tell the story in.

I am primarily a Narrativeist in style, but I use some very Gamist methods to support the story. I feel that a firm understanding of how to manipulate the rules is key to making characters and NPCs who perform they way they are intended to.

In fantasy, I am drawn to gritty, romantic, hopeless struggles. My favorite book is Heroes Die by Matthew Stover . My favorite movies are Casablanca and The Crow. My favorite comic series is Sandman. The reasons I'm drawn to Midnight should be obvious.

My Philosophy

Gaming matters. It is the modern-day version of the Collaborative Narrative which is the oldest ritual humans have ever had. It's how we built our belief systems and laid the foundations of our societies since our history began. Through it we explore the universal themes of what it means to be human. We get to know the people telling the story with us better than any conversation ever could, and through understanding them, and reflecting on the choices they make, we understand ourselves better as well. Through gaming we are able to test what we believe, cutting away the things that we outgrow, and honing our personal philosophies for better use in the real world. Best of all, we do this in a safe, consequence free environment. We do not have to carry the real life burden of the repercussions of choices made in a game. We can explore our darker natures if we like, without harming or frightening anyone we care about. We can play our own devil's advocate without Nietzsche's Beast staring back into us.

The world is built by dreamers, and today, dreamers are gamers.

Specific Stuff:

The Story:

Legends tend to come in two types. Stories about Places and stories about People. Sometimes they can be hard to differentiate. The Iliad is about a place, and a series of events, even though it is filled with powerful, memorable characters. The Odyssey is about a person, Odysseus, even though it is filled with many memorable and fantastic locales.

This story is about the world of Aryth. It will follow the footsteps of a small group of individuals, and the focus will be on them, but it is not entirely about them. Sometimes the characters will be pushing the story, but there will be times that the story will be dragging the characters behind it. The characters can and will shape events, but certain things will happen. Sometimes it will be because the characters were not around to stop it. Sometimes it will be because they were there, but simply couldn't do enough. Aryth is a tragic place. You'll just have to try to be ready for it.

That being said, I will try my damndest not to make you feel like you're being "railroaded". If I wanted to simply tell myself a story, I'd do that. World-Shaking events are planned to drive the story along. What happens because of them is entirely under your control.

The Game:

If one person isn't having fun, none of us are. I want your feedback. If it's sensitive, PM me. If it's not, the OOC forum is a great place for discussion about how we tell this story.

Rewards will be few and far between in this game. There are no XPs so you won't get the instant gratification that normally pushes gamers along certain paths. That being said, rewards and advancement are an important part of the experience, so instead of XPs, I'll be awarding Action Points. You do something awesome in game, you'll get back the fuel to do more awesome stuff later. I'm also going to open up the Rewards process to your peers. At the end of every leg of the story, I'll give everyone an Action Point or two to hand out to the other players, so that if someone does something that you particularly enjoyed, helped push your character's story, or just said or did something that made you laugh, you can give them something as a thank you.

Everyone hates bad dice rolls, especially when they end up with a character dying. For that reason I'm going to allow action points to be spent to auto-stablize a character, and to be spent to keep a character alive when they should otherwise die. There will be a cost of some kind, but as long as you have action points, I will not kill your character.

That being said, if you get bored of the game, or your character, let me know. I feel that players should always have a say in how a character dies or leaves the game. Heroes deserve heroic ends.

The Contract:

Games require a social contract between players. It is often left unsaid, and can become a point of contention if the various players are approaching the game with differing ideas of how it should work. For that reason, I'd like to map out my ideas about how this game should work.

I hate it when games die without the story concluding. I hate it when I wrap a plotline around a character who then leaves the game. I hate it when games have to be delayed because of people's schedules. I admit it. When it comes to my games, my stories, I'm a goddamned selfish, egocentric, tyrannical bastard.

The upside is that I promise you that I will not give up on this game. I've been trying to tell this story for almost 7 years now, and in the three times I've started it, it has always collapsed due to real life complications. The reason I started playing PbP games in the first place was to gain the experience I needed to be able to tell this story. I finally feel ready and I thank all of you for helping me finally scratch this itch.

That being said, this game will likely run a long, long time. Please don't join if you don't think you'll be in for the whole trip. I'm all for trying it out and seeing if our styles are compatible, but if you aren't feeling it by the time I start weaving your character into the plot, say so and bow out.

Please post regularly. Real life will get in the way. Let us know. Please don't just disappear. If I know what's going on, I'm very accommodating. If a player vanishes unexpectedly, I tend to get a little grumpy. If you don't plan on having your character participate in whatever is going on, just post that in OOC. "My character is going to sit this one out" is enough to let me know that you're still paying attention and that I don't need to wait for you before pushing on.

If I call for a Roll Call, it means something important is about to happen. Everyone will have 2 days to check in and tell me they're around and ready to go. After that, I reserve the right to NPC your character.

The Questions:

Those are my expectations and ideas. Now it's time for me to hear yours-

1) What draws you to gaming?

2) If you had to describe yourself as a player, in regards to Midnight, how would you do it?

3) Are there any themes that you find uncomfortable enough as a player that you would prefer never to explore in a game?

4) If you had to categorize the "party role" you play in your own social circle, what would it be?

5) If you had to categorize the "party role" you are most often drawn to portray in a game, what would it be?

6) What interests you or excites you most about the character you will be portraying in Clarion Quetus?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 05:29:34 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +5/-0

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 01:44:18 PM »

Addiction.  I started over 26 years ago, and have never wanted to stop since then. Wink

Specifically... the chance to explore other minds and possibilities.  To not only do and see things I can't in real life, but to be different people.

The opportunity to overcome challenges and to pit my wits against the unknown.

The chance to experiment with ideas and ideals... and to see how others work (or don't).

As a GM, I love seeing how people respond to situations and problems.

2) If you had to describe yourself as a player, in regards to Midnight, how would you do it?

"New" or "the GM".  I played in Harrowed's Under a Pale Gray Sky for a while, but IRL the only way I get to do anything with Midnight is to run it.

As a result "enthused" would be a fair description. I'm very much looking forward to this.  Smiley

3) Are there any themes that you find uncomfortable enough as a player that you would prefer never to explore in a game?

Not that spring to mind....

4) If you had to categorize the "party role" you play in your own social circle, what would it be?

The GM. Tongue  On rare occasions that I get to play, I tend to be the setting-info resource, used by the GM to feed data on the world to the other players and to explain why the plot is important.

Taking the question more generally - I suppose that I might be the old-fashioned cleric: the (apparently) dependable one trusted to hold things together, turned to most often once things have already gone wrong, and frequently acting as a diplomat between contending factions intent on flashy pursuit of their own agendas. Wink

5) If you had to categorize the "party role" you are most often drawn to portray in a game, what would it be?

Cynical old-timer, trying to find hope in the world.  I greatly enjoy exploring obscure corners of settings, finding underdogs or strange causes to root for and bring out onto centre stage.  Midnight's a fabulous setting in that regard. Wink

6) What interests you or excites you most about the character you will be portraying in Clarion Quetus?

I've never played anyone so non-combative in remotely as dangerous a setting.  My PCs tend to be world-weary and self-sufficient, rather than bright-eyed and hopeful.  Playing an Int 20 genius will be an intriguing challenge in its own right, but seeing if Amethyst can retain her optimism and faith in people will certainly be very interesting.  If she can manage to share some of her optimism, rather than just being a strange eccentric, I'll be delighted.

Edit:  I'm not a huge fan of the threefold definition system, since as a player I primarily want to explore my character and the the world - see how the PC develops in the context of an unfolding story.  In some of the alternative structures of analysis, I'd be more of an "explorer", albeit with a focus on non-physical versions of it.  It's close to narrativism, but can be utterly uncatered for in many "unfolding story" games.  Simple physical exploration doesn't do it for me, however, which often has me firmly identified as a "narrativist" in turn....

In terms of system, I like the mechanics to provide a coherent feel for the world (or to be nigh-on invisible), which makes me either a setting-specific "realist" simulationist or a minimalist.  I've enjoyed things from wholly systemless freeform gaming to derivatives of the infamous Rolemaster.  So long as the system matches the game, I can be happy with it.

I also enjoy some gamist elements - I certainly get a kick out of matching the efforts of system-obsessed twinks and min-maxers by using my head... which is usually only meaningful in a systemed, gamist environment.

In this, I'm personally after story and character- and setting-exploration.  I'm keen to see how Amethyst and the other characters develop, want to see what the Doomed Hero version of Midnight is like, and am eager to find out what Crown of Shadows entails.  I've never read it, since I always entertained hopes of being able to play it at some point.... Wink
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 04:19:55 AM by Exile » Logged

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 06:44:26 PM »

The chance to explore new places, events, and people I would otherwise never get to experience.  Almost as much, I like it as a forum for spending time with friends in a collaborative environment.  The latter point changes when moving from face to face to PbP, but not so very much.

From your mechanics matter link, I'd classify myself as a Narrativist that likes an equal mix of Fortune and Drama...when DMing, I'll fudge rolls for some things if I think the story would be better, but I won't on others (like PCs stabilizing in Midnight, for example).  I recently played a homebrew system by a Simulationist, and I hated the system with a burning passion of a thousand suns.  But I'll play any system if you're doing the rolling and the worst of the bookkeeping.

By far, Midnight is my favorite of any setting I've seen for RPGs (not that I've looked over an extensive region, though, but I haven't gotten bored yet).  I don't play MN in RL often, and when I do I usually GM.  PbPs are my chance to play a PC and know I'll get a good story out of it from the fine folks here at AtS.

Not particulariy

Leader and organizer, with a framing of DM

Something new...I try and change it every time.  But my builds tend to favor DEX over STR.  I'm rarely the Tank of the group, unless I'm the artillery mage.

I kinda suck at pre-building character personalities, so I usually let them grow organically.  Seeing how each character grows into a wildly different end result from just a few different initial conditions (Attributes, Class, and Path) is a lot of the fun for me.  Each character is a fresh canvas, as it were.

Dunkin stats
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 03:45:41 AM »

The Questions:

Those are my expectations and ideas. Now it's time for me to hear yours-

The opportunity to create an interactive story in a fantasy world, portraying chracters with amazing abilities in a world of epic danger.

To midnight, relatively new but to gaming long time narrativist/gamist/dramatic

Not that I can think of.

Leader. DM to my group.

Leader or wildcard

Playing a character who will learn to control a force that has in some ways ruined and in other ways defined her life. Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:29:34 PM by Doomed Hero    

wolfen_child
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 04:34:09 AM »

Fantasy. The whimsy of the mind. And escapism. I've been roleplaying since I was old enough to remember. My parents are both gamers, and I'm an avid reader of anything I can get my hands on. I enjoy the art of being someone else, or somewhere else. I enjoy group narrative, because playing in my own head would just be mental masturbation, but more importantly because it allows for me to explore other dimensions of my own psyche (as you said), and other worlds.

I've actually never played a PC. When my boyfriend and I picked up the system, I kind of wiggled it out of his grasp (he also DM's). Reading over your posted links, I'm solidly a Narrativist, with a strong bent towards drama (as both a DM and a player). The rules aren't as important to me as the outcome. As a DM, I will admit I fudge die rolls a lot. In games I play in, I like strong storylines more than straight combat, but I do enjoy a good hack'n'slash every once in awhile.

Not that I can think of at the moment. If one comes up, I will let you know.

Hmmm... Paladin, most likely. Though I can resemble an old school Ranger (2nd edition, where rangers had to be of a good alignment). I'm somewhat of a leader (my friends jokingly call me their Alpha Female), and I have very strong convictions about right vs. wrong. I will also acknowledge that I'm a very lawful person, as well as a control freak. It's part of what I enjoy about gaming so much - I can just let go and be someone else.

Usually leadership roles (of late), though I'm comfortable playing supportive characters as well. I play a lot of Rogue/Fighter combos, which is interesting. Ranger is my favorite class.

He both resembles and is the antithesis of the kind of character I haven't played in awhile. I like the concept of being somewhere between an urban and wilderness based character.

And I kind of like being a plot device. Makes me feel important Smiley
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 01:57:33 PM by wolfen_child » Logged

Kiron Whitemoon
Lightbearer

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 08:45:29 PM »

First I want to just say I purposefully read any answers on here except for DH's first post, so if anything seems similar or even mocking it isn't intentional, or intended as such.

It is a good creative outlet, I would love to write books, but the fact is my attention wains whenever attempting it. so with other writers aiming at telling tale, it is vastly easier to stick with the story. and find out what is going to happen next.

I would describe myself both as a newbie and an old hand. I have been playing since first edition and the itty bitty hand books that were paper back. but as far as midnight goes, I have only learned about it recently. that said I have taken to it with an enthusiasm.

Personally, I prefer to stay away from romance, I.c. I typically play it off as my characters finding the world to dangerous to seek out anything that would cause them to have a weakness. or they have already lost a love and remain true to them. I don't mind anyone else exploring it, so long as they don't expect me to participate. in other words . "get a tent!" in this case I would just throw a I'm sitting this one out up and let you continue on your way.

I would be the face character. I tend to make the jokes the noise and draw the attention the other guys would rather not have on them.

The tank, I love to keep it nice and simple and not have to worry about which spell would work best and did I have it prepared in advance, I like the simplicity of swinging my weapon of choice and being done with it.( I do like it when other people do the work though.)

The potential to be a good bad guy, if this world was nice and clean and ruled by just gods(say forgotten realms), Nefario would be running around your roofs, giving your children nightmares and stealing your clothes off your back, your food from your table and he would be killing your loud mouthed sons. but as it is, the world has  enough evil and there is plenty of wicked to be done to the enemy.

I look forward to lighting up this world of midnight and stablizing justice through at the realm...that way I can live up to my name sake. Nefarious!

All it takes is one candles flame to send the shadows in all directions. We must shine brightly, and even brighter still. If the shadow is to be cast out,We must not just stand upon our wick,But cast ourselves to the ground, stand upon the tender. Rise lightkind and burn. Burn brighter still.
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 12:52:50 AM »

Started gaming at the ripe-old-age of 25. And haven't managed to stop since.
I like the collaborative effort that is role-playing both as GM and a Player. I like fantasy books, and this is as close as you can get to be in one.
And of course, I like to meet with my friends... it's a social night  as much as a game night.

Narrativist-Gamis, in that order and not just for Midnight. I usually start by writing a story and then trying to fit a character (race, class, whatever) into that story.

Nope.

Gaming-wise: split between GM and Player.

Usually like to play skilled characters with high charisma (I'm one of those strange people who likes to play bards). But actually I will try change direction with each new character I play, each time playing something different (different class, different race, different alignment, etc.)

The darkness in Marakal, and the fact that I have no idea what his future holds; this is true to most characters I play. Like someone else said: they grow over play; when they go up a level I look back and decide what skill/feat they might have learned; they make decisions according to what they believe and know at the moment (or at least I try).
TwiceBorn
Editor

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 12:01:49 AM »

Quote from: doomed hero

I've been gaming since I've been about 11 or twelve years old -- so about 24 years. I started with my childhood friend's totally free form and improvised approach to D&D, then moved on to playing basic D&D and the various incarnations of the game up to D&D 3.5/Pathfinder. I purchased the 4th edition core books, but they just didn't grab me. That having been said, I've gone through many dry periods due to real life--I didn't game at all between the fall of 1996 and 2003 or so.

Since day 1, I've been drawn to gaming because of:

. the way it sets my imagination on fire and takes me beyond the bounds of mundane everyday life;
. the way it keeps me connected to my friends (it would be so easy for us to drift apart or to be overwhelmed with real life if we didn't make a commitment to get together and game every few weeks); . . how the social interaction also enables us to share and live through exciting adventures together;
. how it allows me to explore other worlds, cultures and personas.

While I enjoy reading and watching movies, gaming is far more rewarding because you take an active role in the development of the story and characters.

I'm more a narrativist than anything else. I've been known to perform highly risky (sometimes suicidal/altruistic) actions if performing those actions were consistent with my character's personality and values, even if my PC might end up losing his life in the process.

With the exception of a brief run in another PbP, I've only ever DMed Midnight. When I have the privilege of being a player (including in non-Midnight games), I try to make a PC that is different from the other ones that I've played. I don't get to play often and have a shamefully big gaming library, so when offered the chance to play I attempt to make the most of both my imagination and gaming resources. That having been said, I think I've played more bards and rangers than anything else, if only because I can relate to them directly on some level.

Nope. Midnight is about as gritty a setting as you can find. I would be disappointed if things didn't get really ugly at some point.

Usually the DM. When not the DM, the role varies depending on the kinds of players and PCs we have at the table. If necessary, I'm content to "fill gaps."

Everyone in my current real life gaming group is assertive without being a spotlight hogger, and we all have a very collaborative approach to the game. Having fun and moving the story forward are most important. I'm certainly not a rules lawyer.

Flawed hero. I like playing characters with detailed backgrounds whose personalities are shades of grey, and who may change over time (e.g., gradually going from CN to NG or even LG, or vice versa). I like PCs who have internal struggles, and who don't always "do the right thing"... even if they may regret it later.

a) I'm playing something other than a human, for a change (while I have experimented with different classes and character concepts over the years, for one reason or another I have usually stuck to playing humans).

b) The gradual discovery and awakening of... things both unfamiliar and unexpected.

c) I'm not only playing in Midnight... but I'm playing in Doomed Hero's version of Midnight! I have a great deal of admiration for all the work you've contributed to AtS, and look forward to experiencing your take on the world.
[/quote]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 12:06:14 AM by TwiceBorn » Logged

neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 05:13:27 PM »

I'm fairly new to "table-top" RPGs, but gaming in general, like all play, is a basic good of living a uniquely human life.

New to the setting. I was already drawn to it and I consider myself a Midnight GM-in-training. I want to introduce my usual gaming crowd to it. But first, I decided to start by playing in what looks like a seriously promising campaign. What better way to learn the world?

Generally, I open to anything. But I would be very uncomfortable with a game that perpetuated "rape culture." I have no reason to expect that this game would.

Zone Controller.

Zone Controller, naturally. But I'm also fond of playing Glass Cannons and stealthy Rogues/Scouts, and Skillmonkeys.

My character is just about everything that it is deadly to be: channeler, fey. Being forced to stay in the shadows, a natural-born sniper.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 10:53:08 PM by neverfox » Logged

Matt
Lightbearer

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2011, 05:27:11 AM »

I like stories. I used to like using the math and crunching numbers to express a character, situation, or tactics. Now I find that a tedious and really just want to share a story. For me the dice are just there for adjudication when needed, and for the fun randomness they can bring.

I haven't played Midnight. I like a gritty story though (Glen Cook, Black Company anyone? Erikson, Malazan Book of the Fallen?)

Roleplaying an elf. Actually, I do not need to explore sexual themes beyond where needed to progress the dramatic action of the story. I am quite happy with keeping my own participation limited to an R rating in that regard.

It used to be leader. Now it is hermit with some curmudgeon for flavor.

Charismatic lead that gets the party where it needs to be with some comedy along the way, or a tough-bitten and dour dwarf. Art imitating life I guess.

This is the first time I have come into a game with an inherited character. It moves me a bit out of my comfort zone, and hopefully will provide some growth to my imagination and writing.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 06:11:47 AM by Matt » Logged
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 04:25:08 PM »

First off the social aspect.  Reading books and playing video games are fine ways to spend an afternoon but sitting around a table with your friends is an even better way to spend your time.  The idea of playing a character in a far off land and having an impact on the world at large, while doing things I might never even try to do IRL has drawn me to gaming since I was first stumbling my way through the rules at 13.  Overall I would say that gaming has been a positive influence, as time went on I have found myself taking more active roles in my life and being more like the characters that I wish to portray in gaming.

Fanatic.  Ever since I was first invited to join in playing a campaign run by Doomed Hero and learned of the world of Aryth and the rich history of the setting in Midnight I've been hooked.  I've spent hours just reading all of the source material I could get my hands on and also spent quite a bit of time reading over the site.  I consider myself very experienced and knowledgeable of the setting in many ways.

Having played in games where I have  played characters that intentionally, unintentionally, both directly and indirectly killed other PC's, been naturally suspicious, blissfully unaware and naive of other characters motivations, been lied to and back-stabbed (literally), been morally challenged in many different shades of gray, being motivated by greed, honor, desperation, orders, beliefs, having lost their way and gave up on trying to be a "good" person and made the wrong choice while doing what they thought was the "right thing", I would have to say there is very little I would't try doing these days.  Haven't had too much chance to RP the possible romance aspect of the games but would not be opposed to trying it sometime.

Event organizer.  Usually I am the one who ends up contacting people, giving rides, getting food and drinks and checking with peoples schedules to make sure the events happen.

Combat support character/face man.  Usually, I find myself playing a buff caster that tends to be a high charisma character that has a combat trick.  Skills are generally focused on out of combat/knowledge shticks, while feats are saved for combat effectiveness.  Characters tend toward good natured older folk wise to the ways of the world, or very driven youngsters who generally have little to no idea of whats going on.

6) What interests you or excites you most about the character you will be portraying in Clarion Quietus?
Or Quietus Clarion, as the case may be.  Really, it's the chance to play on the other side of the fence in a well set world for once.  After having played Xein as a resistance member in Doomed Hero's last game, and having several accounts of what might have been from our party's Seer had Xein not been rescued in time and also wanting to see how exactly the Shadow forces operated, it was nice to get a change of perspective.  Also seeing a change in character build and the way Xein operates now is a nice change of pace.

Currently reading: Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series; The Hero of Ages.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Pre-game Discussion (Clarion Quietus)
Jump to: