Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 16, 2019, 08:02:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Did you know that to post outside of the Meta forum you must log in
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 1  (Read 300888 times)
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #975 on: March 04, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »

Grandmother nodded and smiled. "Is there anyone you are traveling with who is adept at breaking locks? This may prove a challenge. It is still full of tarnish, and quite small."

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +5/-0

« Reply #976 on: March 04, 2012, 12:06:43 PM »

"One of our smaller companions, perhaps?", Amethyst suggested, looking to Siobhan for confirmation.  "It's something I've been wondering about myself, but I've not really experimented as yet..."

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
Doomed Hero

« Reply #977 on: March 04, 2012, 03:37:37 PM »

"Well go on then dearies, I'd imagine most of the chores are done by now. I have things to do. Go ask your friends if they can help, and get some rest. I'll see you both in the morning."

Grandmother gave them both a hug, and then disappeared back into her bedroom, leaving them alone with their thoughts and the evening chill. They could hear voices from around front near the wagon. It sounded like Wendle was grumbling about something.
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #978 on: March 04, 2012, 04:21:50 PM »

Having warmly returned Grandmother's hug, pressing close to the older woman, Amethyst then offers Siobhan a smile.

"So... I think that you should choose, since it's in your care.  Whom do we ask about lock-picking first?"
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

« Reply #979 on: March 08, 2012, 03:21:21 PM »

Siobahn thinks for a moment.

"I don't know, you're better at reading people. Who do you thing is better at breaking out of places or picking locks? I think Nefario said something about freeing my mother."
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:48:38 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #980 on: March 08, 2012, 03:30:37 PM »

Amethyst nodded pensively.  "We don't want to tread on toes... but I think that you're right, there.  Certainly seems like a good place to start, I think.  Do you want to ask him?"
Doomed Hero

« Reply #981 on: March 08, 2012, 08:53:36 PM »

The two women wandered around to the wagon to find the majority of the group helping Wendle clean out the back of the wagon. They were covered in flower and soot. A large pile of splintered wood and cloth was piled nearby. Wendle was looking over the small amount of equipment that they had been able to salvage with a sour expression. To no one in particular he grumbled "I really don't like the idea of heading into the mountains unprepared."
Matt
Lightbearer

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #982 on: March 09, 2012, 03:35:17 AM »

Nefario scratched his cheek, leaving traces of flower upon it. He looked from Wendle to the big Dorn. You want to go for supplies then? After that? How long before every shadowspawn in the country has our description. Got an ideas about that?
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #983 on: March 09, 2012, 06:51:33 AM »

Raising a hand in greeting as she approached, Amethyst offered a warm smile to the diminutive worriers.  "My permits actually cover this part of the world, if we can find something to trade.  I can directly help with that, of course, but I tend not to turn a grand profit.  Though... there's something not offering tangible profit that we're looking for someone to help with...."

She looked to Siobhan, hoping that she'd take over the request from there.
Matt
Lightbearer

« Reply #984 on: March 09, 2012, 08:32:07 AM »

Nefario looked at Amethyst then glanced quickly away. He had a hard time looking at her without the voices in his head howling. "I'm more worried about staying alive than I am about profit," he said, eyes finally resting on Siohhan. "If we do go to trade, perhaps we should leave the wagon somewhere and pack what we need on the boros? As much as I love that damned wagon."
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #985 on: March 10, 2012, 05:02:51 AM »

"I'm....I'm sorry I almost destroyed your wagon and a lot of your trading supplies." Siobahn said quietly, looking down.

She took a deep breath, looking over at Amethyst for support.

"We need your help Nefario, I know I owe you a lot....my life really, and I've caused you a lot of trouble, but......Grandfather gave me something,......something important, and I think we can understand a whole lot more about what's going on here if we could open it. I heard that you're the one who found my mother and got her free of....them, and if you're good with locks, would you try opening this one for me?"
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #986 on: March 10, 2012, 05:26:45 AM »

Lifting a hand to Siobhan's shoulder, Amethyst delivered a gentle squeeze, and offered the small males an encouraging smile.  "It could be very helpful indeed, if you were able to", she assured Nefario.

"And... without you, Siobhan, your mother might not have been stopped from attacking us at all.  We'd have been in a great deal of difficulty, without you."
Matt
Lightbearer

« Reply #987 on: March 10, 2012, 08:17:18 AM »

Nefario frowned. "You don't owe me anything, you hear. Everyone did the best they could." The beginning of a grimace flitted across his face at Amethysts words, and he held out his hand to Siobhan. "Give it here and I'll see what I can do."
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:47:14 PM by Matt » Logged
Matt
Lightbearer

« Reply #988 on: March 10, 2012, 05:46:18 PM »

Nefario looked at the lock and let out a long, slow breath. "I've never seen anything this small or delicate. Any idea where the key could be? Opening this without damaging it would be a feat."
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #989 on: March 10, 2012, 07:07:53 PM »

"Or require magic", Amethyst mused, brow furrowing pensively.  "I'm sure I've come across references to incantations that could open any lock, in some of the tales..."
Matt
Lightbearer

« Reply #990 on: March 11, 2012, 01:29:21 AM »

"Well if you can do that go ahead. I'll need to find some tools small enough to clean this out before I can pick it. You mind if I ask grandmother?"
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #991 on: March 11, 2012, 04:15:33 AM »

Frown deepening a touch, Amethyst once again peered closely at the lock and decorations on the book cover, just in case there appeared to be somewhere to accept the impression of a ring.

"I'd be astonished if she objected", she answered absent-mindedly, "and not overly surprised if she had what you need..."
Matt
Lightbearer

« Reply #992 on: March 11, 2012, 08:03:35 AM »

Nefario stood and looked up at Amethyst. "Take me to your grandmother."
Doomed Hero

« Reply #993 on: March 11, 2012, 11:52:54 AM »

"Afraid not dear." Grandmother said when the pair asked her about tools Nefarious needed.

She had managed to turn the main room into a rather comfortable looking hostel. Where she kept the sheer number of knitted blankets, neither of them knew.

"I have something that may work in a pinch though," she said disappearing into her bedroom for a moment. When she returned she handed Amethyst a large price of jewelry.

It was a cloak pin in the shape of a harp about the size of the palm of her hand, expertly made. A delicate hinge held the pin to the clasp and tiny diamonds accented it.

"It holds together fine when it's closed, but the hinge is broken. The pin falls off when it opens up. I got it from a friend a long time ago and I was hoping to visit and have it fixed one day, but now I'm glad I never got around to it. I thought maybe the pin might work as a pick."

As Amethyst looked at it she realized that it's design closely resembled the main lines of the symbol that had been drawn in the dirt outside.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:44:25 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #994 on: March 11, 2012, 12:11:21 PM »

Amethyst's eyes widened upon first seeing the beautiful - and clearly valuable - piece, but her look of surprise intensified when closer examination brought that resemblance to mind.

Looking up sharply, she offered Grandmother a bashful smile.  "It's lovely.  I hope that we'll be able to fix it for you in future", she breathed.  "And the design... it's quite unusual, isn't it?  I hope that it has brought you luck."

Carefully, she offered the little treasure to Nefario, eager to return the main portion of it to Grandmother's safe keeping to await future restoration.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #995 on: March 11, 2012, 12:43:50 PM »

"Keep it. It's just an old trinket, and no one will ask about a worthless piece of jewelry." Grandmother said, waving her hands dismissively. "I understand that tools of the sort you're going to use this for are quite frowned upon. Might as well use the built in disguise."
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 04:50:00 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #996 on: March 13, 2012, 03:47:16 PM »

Dorin set down the last supplies from what remained of the wagon, and clapped his hands together, dusting them off. He hadn't bothered contributing to the debate so far, and didn't intend to unless asked. Let wiser heads figure out the course - his place was to get them through the obstacles in the way.

"You want me to what?! ... Gimme a minute."
Dorin's combat data | Dorin's character sheet
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #997 on: March 13, 2012, 04:16:35 PM »

Amethyst delivered another hug to Grandmother.

"Thank you.  It's not only a kind thought, but a good one.  So... is there anything else we need to tackle that lock?"  She looked to Nefario for confirmation.
Matt
Lightbearer

« Reply #998 on: March 13, 2012, 06:39:24 PM »

Nefario shrugged. "This will only do half of it. I need something that will fit in the lock, not block the pick, and that I can put tension on. A thin piece of metal might do it, provided the shape is right."
Nifelhein
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +22/-0

Whisper's Will

« Reply #999 on: September 11, 2012, 05:07:48 AM »

And here ends the part 1 of the adventures, but they continue on Part 2!

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects."
 - Attributed to Herman Melville.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 1
Jump to: