Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 16, 2019, 08:08:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Before making a question, try using the search function, sometimes your doubt has already been answered before.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 1  (Read 300898 times)
Exile
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +5/-0

« Reply #925 on: January 13, 2012, 05:06:39 AM »

Amethyst frowned pensively, pursing her lips.  "Mmmm.  Well, that would seem to suggest that he is already to the West of us and heading further away - which makes me wonder why someone here should receive any... inklings with regard to his movements."

Looking to Grandmother, she raised her brows.  "Unless you're aware of any convents to the East of us?"

Ex infernis, spes
Amethyst's Combat Stats
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #926 on: January 15, 2012, 06:01:10 PM »

"No, dear, I'm not. Of course, I'm not an expert on the subject." Grandmother said with wide eyes, sipping her tea. "What I would like to know is how this young man knows anything about what the Maleficarum is doing."

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #927 on: January 21, 2012, 03:32:23 PM »

At least initially, Amethyst simply offered Eirik a rather hopefully expectant look of her own.  Clearly, that was an answer she would be interested in acquiring, too.
wolfen_child
Insurgent Spy

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #928 on: January 23, 2012, 09:21:41 PM »

He swallowed, eyes darting around the room, looking for some sort of distraction from explaining his strange "gift." It wasn't something he could simply describe, wasn't something he'd ever really had to. Explaining it out loud often made him feel crazy, or made people look at him strangely. He frowned. "Sometimes I see things. Things that I don't see with my eyes." The seer backed up, pressing down into his seat and sighing. He ran a hand through tangled hair.

"It's how I knew Cara was going to lash out at the Cove." His eyes darted to Siobhan cautiously. Those wounds were obviously still fresh. He didn't want to upset the woman. "But there wasn't enough time and I didn't put the pieces together fast enough. I don't understand why sometimes, what they mean or if they have any meaning at all. Like this one. I'm not sure what knowing this witch-taker is heading west is going to do, but I know it."

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 09:45:27 PM by wolfen_child » Logged

Doomed Hero

« Reply #929 on: January 23, 2012, 10:07:03 PM »

"Prophecy is a strange and powerful gift, young man. Often more trouble than it's worth if you ask me. I've known a few prophets in my time and not one of them were what I would call stable. I hope you can learn to control this gift of yours before you stop being able to discern reality from vision."

Grandmother leaned back in her chair and sipped her tea.

"Do you tend to see the future, or the past? Rarely does a prophet see both."
wolfen_child
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #930 on: January 23, 2012, 10:30:00 PM »

Grandmother's easy demeanor seemed to bleed some of the tension out of Eirik. He smiled at her gratefully.

"You are certainly a wise woman Grandmother. It's not easy to tell vision from what's going on around me at that time, especially when they bleed together. Like standing at a crossroads, trying to figure out which road to take when fog blocks your view. It's easier when the things I see are further away - in time or place. Sometimes it's hard to tell the when of something, but I've had visions of the past." He frowned. "Though they feel more like memories. Mostly, I see bits and pieces of things that haven't happened yet. Possible paths that fate can take."

His hands were steady as he reached for a cup of cool water, sipping at it. His eyes felt drawn to Siobhan again, with Cara's blade. "I think I saw you, as a little girl. Ivy and Nefario found you."
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:53:08 PM by wolfen_child » Logged
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #931 on: January 24, 2012, 06:33:49 AM »

When Eirik seemed to indicate that he fit into a sub-category of prophets that Grandmother considered to be rare, Amethyst looked distinctly impressed.

Then she darted a nervous glance to Siobhan, rather worried about how her friend might take not merely mention of her darkly troubled past, but the revelation that a near-stranger had been seeing portions of it unbidden and uninvited.
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

« Reply #932 on: January 24, 2012, 05:01:46 PM »

As she looked at Eirik, the sword in her hand seemed to diissolve into falling ash, her body shifting from combat ready tension to something more coiled, more tensee, unsure of what emotions she was feeling build up.

Despite the dangers they had all been through, she barely knew the prophet, had barrely even held a conversation with him, yet here he was seeing portions of her past that she barely remembered through a haze of smoke, ash, terror and loss.

The cooking fire twitched, jumping as if responding to a non-existant gust of wind.

"You....saw them find me?"
wolfen_child
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #933 on: January 28, 2012, 11:32:05 AM »

"I think so," he nodded, frowning in concentration. He looked up at Siobahn, wracking his brain for something that could ease the hurt of losing her parents not once but twice. There wasn't anything he could say to dull her pain. He could only apologize for being witness to it.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to spy."

He looked around, trying to gauge the reactions of the rest of his traveling companions. He felt nervousness like a knife's edge, making hair stand up on the back of his neck.

"He - the Malificarum - felt... something. Like a surge of magic. It was the most powerful he'd felt in years. Then, there was a crow that spoke to him casually, like a friend." He tried to picture the landscape surrounding the convent. Maybe there would be a clue there.
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #934 on: January 28, 2012, 12:01:50 PM »

"That sounds like an Astirax, to me", Amethyst answered, darting a worried glance to Grandmother.

"But the magic?  That surely wasn't anything to do with us, was it?  Yet why...?   Ahh, do... is there any way to tell when what you see actually is in time?"
Sholano
Bane of Legates

« Reply #935 on: January 30, 2012, 05:43:27 AM »

Dorin stirred, for the first time since Eirik came back to himself. The big man had been reserved in his reactions so far, his lack of fluency in the Trader's Tongue making an already complicated discussion very hard to follow. "A blackbird? Spoke to this...witch-taker?"

"You want me to what?! ... Gimme a minute."
Dorin's combat data | Dorin's character sheet
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #936 on: January 30, 2012, 11:43:49 AM »

"Maybe it does have to do with us." Ivy spoke without at first removing her eyes from her food and then raising them up to Amethyst.

Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #937 on: January 30, 2012, 11:53:29 AM »

"Do you think that our... encounter was sufficiently potent as to merit such, umm, interest?", Amethyst asked nervously - before nodding to Dorin.

"There are servant spirits.  Demons.  That aid the Legates.  They can take the bodies of animals - take possession of them.  The Legates call them Astiraxes."
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #938 on: January 30, 2012, 01:00:31 PM »

"All I know is that whatever the cloaked ones did wasn't a bunch of parlor tricks. It affected me somehow. Triggered something. If it can do that..." Ivy paused to consider her next few words carefully. "Then there is Cara..."
wolfen_child
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #939 on: January 30, 2012, 01:09:20 PM »

"It could have been," Eirik nodded, thinking it over. "Unless the vision itself has some indication of when it occurs - the setting, the conversation - I usually have to puzzle out the when myself."

He glanced up at Ivy, frowning. "On the wagon, you said you took something from Dorin. What did you mean?"
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #940 on: January 31, 2012, 08:06:48 PM »

"I'm not entirely certain but I think someone put him under a spell. Somehow I knew this at the time. I don't know what is was exactly but I have a sense of what it did to him. See, when I touched him some of the magic flowed into me, but I wasn't affected like Dorin. I think I took the spell's power...and after that, the spell on him seemed to have less of it. Don't ask me to explain it all because it's still all so weird to me."
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:09:31 PM by neverfox » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #941 on: February 04, 2012, 05:35:57 PM »

"Magic does not normally work like that, Dearie." Grandmother said with a slant of her head. "Are you sure you aren't mistaken? You said you could see the magic? What did it look like?"
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #942 on: February 05, 2012, 08:06:39 AM »

Looking quite frankly fascinated, Amethyst also cocked her head - but opted to remain quiet rather than risk interrupting the explanation.
neverfox
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #943 on: February 05, 2012, 11:41:34 PM »

"Did I say that? Well, maybe. I can't even be sure I was seeing it, at least not with my eyes." Ivy turned red, the color standing in stark contrast to her cloak. "I'm sorry. I'm not sure how to explain it and I probably sound crazy as a result but...I distinctly remember swirls...colors. And a confidence that I haven't felt in a long time. I knew. I knew what to do. But somehow you're right; it's not supposed to work that way, is it? Am I a...a danger to you all?" Ivy's red color evaporated, leaving a pale, frightened sort of shame.
Ilona Ebonblade
Insurgent Commander

« Reply #944 on: February 06, 2012, 05:38:36 AM »

"You helped to save us all Ivy, you're no more a danger than anyone else here and nobody thinks you should be off on your own."
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #945 on: February 06, 2012, 06:37:37 AM »

"He was going West from a convent, not East", Amethyst pointed out gently.  "He wasn't setting out to come here.  And... we're all dangerous to be around.  Even I know a few things that could get us in trouble, however unimpressive my talents are when compared to those of the rest of you."
wolfen_child
Insurgent Spy

« Reply #946 on: February 08, 2012, 08:25:43 AM »

"I agree with Amethyst," Eirik nodded to the scholar. He felt hot then cold in sudden waves, swallowing. "There was a man who called me 'prophet' - the one who pulled me out of the wagon. By the look in his eyes, I don't think he's going to give up on finding me any time soon."
Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #947 on: February 08, 2012, 08:31:33 AM »

Amethyst sighed, closing her eyes.

"If this vision of yours was back in time a little, then the one you saw just now could be on our trail", she mused ruefully.  "If memory serves, there's a convent of the Sisters of Tender Mercy about a day away from Swift Water.  So if one who wanted to find you was there, and had the authority...."

Looking to Grandmother, she sighed, expression apologetic.  "I fear that we should be moving on tomorrow.  See if we can't lead him elsewhere."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 08:33:51 AM by Exile » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #948 on: February 08, 2012, 02:12:37 PM »

"I agree, dear." Grandmother said with a sigh. "I will be fine, don't you worry about me. I'll put together some provisions to send with you. The ladies can sleep in this room tonight. You men folk get the barn."

Pushing herself out of her chair with a groan, Grandmother went about collecting dishes and putting them in the wash basin. "Everyone up, up." she said. "There's chores to be done before bed. We need water drawn for cleaning and bedding needs to be put down. The animals need to be put out for the night to make room for all of you. There's dough to be made for tomorrow's breakfast. Things to do, things to do. Amethyst, Siobhan, will you two help me please?"

Opening a door, the old woman disappeared into another part of the house.

Exile
Bane of Legates

« Reply #949 on: February 08, 2012, 03:36:49 PM »

Offering Siobhan a somewhat rueful smile, Amethyst gestured a mute invitation to her friend, then turned to follow Grandmother further into the building.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories  |  Clarion Quietus (Moderator: Doomed Hero)  |  Topic: Clarion Quietus (IC) Part 1
Jump to: