Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 07, 2021, 10:52:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Avoid offending or attacking other users, be polite and well mannered and only good will come from it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Doomed Hero's New Paths  (Read 42272 times)
rozarius
Lightbearer

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2010, 02:19:49 AM »

Sure sorry also I can't start threads from the berry I seem to missing that the search and the edit buttons
^Graff
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2010, 06:26:43 PM »

I'm not sure if it's necessary, but is there any reason for you not giving the Hawkeyed Close Combat Shot as an option?
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2010, 06:39:05 PM »

I'm not sure if it's necessary, but is there any reason for you not giving the Hawkeyed Close Combat Shot as an option?

Two reasons.

One- it's available from other sources.

Two: personal taste. I've always hated that ability. It makes ranged weapons into melee weapons. No reason to ever switch again. In he stories we love, that never happens. The archer does, occasionally, have to pull out the blades and mix it up (Legolas and tis knives, Robin Hood and his sword?) We never see an archer fire from distances of less than five feet. Why? Because it's stupid. What we see is the archer sake a few quick steps back or to the side, and let the bad guy  have it in the face. Parting Shot covers that, giving you an attack while you Withdraw.

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2010, 06:50:03 PM »

plus bows are hard to make and disturbingly easy to sunder...you're just begging an enemy/evil DM to destroy your only weapon.  Very bad day...

Dunkin stats
rozarius
Lightbearer

« Reply #54 on: October 01, 2010, 01:08:10 AM »

Yeah I looked its a feat that can be taken by a 4th lvl fighter for one. Also he's right about that and thinking about it I agree about the flavor thing. But the reason I wanted it was so I could shoot out of melee if I need to. Guess quick-draw is in my future.

DH did you ever talk with nightflier about ricochet he didn't seem to like it.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2010, 01:48:22 AM »

He never mentioned it to me.
rozarius
Lightbearer

« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2010, 02:07:35 AM »

He did in the OOC game thread.
Brokenmonkey
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2010, 01:32:59 PM »

out of control in a great way. new heroic paths have so much flavor. i like your ability to stick with a theme and the reactive bonuses help you really bring out some depth to your character during play.  I do have some questions about the hawkeye path.  ranged defence-- seems like its ment to cover allies not to defend yourself is that how you see it?  snatch arrow---- seems like a classic Jack Burton moment (which i think is really cool). my queston is on wizards 3.5 rules snatch arrow feat lets you return fire. i see your path as starting with catching the projectile then at 8th getting the return fire. maybe there is a diff snatch arrow feat that your using? when you get return fire does that mean arrows and crossbow bolts too?  
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 03:07:10 PM by Brokenmonkey » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #58 on: November 13, 2010, 12:06:35 AM »

I didn't include return fire because the ability is designed to be able to be used with any kind of ranged weapon, and some you can't really do that with (crossbows, blowguns, ect). I'm also not sold on Return Fire as an ability. It seems prone to abuse if you make it make thematic sense.

Someone fires at you with a bow. You are also holding a bow. You snatch the arrow and gain an immediate attack with it, right? Do you have to fire at the guy who fired at you? If so, why? Why couldn't you pick another target within your range. It doesn't make sense that you can only shoot at the guy who shot at you.

On the other hand, if you can choose any other target, then all of a sudden you run into the bag of puppies/whirl-cleave problem.

Essentially, if you make it mechanically sound, it becomes thematically inconsistent. If you make it thematically sound, it becomes mechanically broken. I hate abilities like that. I feel it's better just to avoid them.
Brokenmonkey
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2010, 12:47:44 AM »

I'm new to this site and still need to figure some things out. As a matter of fact i'm new to forums altogether. I agree with your point over mechanics and thermatics. i am confused by your statement  that you left out return fire. On page 3 of this thread your lvl 8 ability is return fire. Is there a section with your final product for new and old heroic paths? I have seen statements about a rules or new rules section that updates core classes, paths, other stuff but have not found it yet.

The "why"(return fire on attacker only) could be its a split second hand eye reflex that is mostly on a subconscious level (just following the same line of att your enemy used).Since its a free attack, no real time is spent on the decision. Thrown weapons fit nicely, but as you pointed out crossbow,blow gun, and bows cause problems. Items that need an implement (even if you have that implement) would require more thought and effort. Probably going to make that distinction for when return fire applies although now i'm curious what you replaced it with.

To avoid "bag of puppies" affect -- if you want to allow different targets just start a cone from you leading back to the attacker (leaving him in the middle). any enemies within the cone could be a target.  
also the ability only works once per round unlike great cleave. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 02:55:43 AM by Brokenmonkey » Logged
Doomed Hero

« Reply #60 on: November 13, 2010, 02:16:50 AM »

oops oops. You'll have to forgive me, it's late here and it's been a while since I looked at that path. Didn't remember I'd included that ability. I still hold to my thought that it's prone to abuse, and looking at it now, I see that the ability needs to be re-worded.

I'll fix that tomorrow, thanks for the feedback. Feel free to help me out with questions and comments on any other path or ability. As you can see, nothing's ever completely finished as long as it can be edited. All the paths here have been playtested, though not as thoroughly as I like, but are functional aside from the occasional oops moment like this. They are designed for use with the Pathfinder system, so you may need to tweak them a bit for use with 3.5
Brokenmonkey
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #61 on: November 13, 2010, 01:52:44 PM »

No problem! I just think its cool you are throwing good stuff out there. I'm the one who is responding to an old thread. So many threads to read and when i start looking at the dates of these posts quite a few members have been carrying the fight for many years!       Thank you everyone!
Doomed Hero

« Reply #62 on: November 13, 2010, 06:14:32 PM »

No problem. Welcome to the fight.

I've edited the ability. I'm pretty happy with the fix. It's not as prone to breaking.
Brokenmonkey
Heepa-Heepa

« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2010, 02:11:53 AM »

I like the negative 4 to switch targets over my cone effect although i might use both but at negative 2.

I'm having difficulty with the snatch arrow ability lvl 4 which grants the snatch arrow feat. I have checked both wizards 3.5 and pathfinder feat definitions. They both allow return fire (as per snatch arrow feat) under slightly different conditions. If you get to return fire with the snatch arrow feat at lvl 4 where does the lvl 8 return fire come into play?

Maybe lvl 4 could be deflect arrow then lvl 8 snatch arrow?
IORNBORN
Insurgent Spy

WE WILL ALL SOMEDAY DIE. . . I CHOOSE TO DIE FREE!

« Reply #64 on: November 30, 2010, 02:48:39 PM »

Great body of work Doomed! Consider this ganked!
Doomed Hero

« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2010, 03:50:44 PM »

I'm having difficulty with the snatch arrow ability lvl 4 which grants the snatch arrow feat. I have checked both wizards 3.5 and pathfinder feat definitions. They both allow return fire (as per snatch arrow feat) under slightly different conditions. If you get to return fire with the snatch arrow feat at lvl 4 where does the lvl 8 return fire come into play?

Maybe lvl 4 could be deflect arrow then lvl 8 snatch arrow?

That's not a bad idea. I had forgotten that Snatch Arrow allows you to return fire. Maybe I just need to write up a new version of the ability that is a little less "superhero-y"

Iornborn, use whatever you'd like, but please give me play reports and suggestions. One can never have enough playtesters or discussions.
DaveTheMagicWeasel
Lightbearer

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2011, 08:38:06 PM »

I hereby call upon the power of mighty Izrador and demand that this thread rise!  Rise I say!

DH, I've got a player looking at Stormbringer .  One question tho - at 3rd level it lists "Weather 1/week".  I can't find a Weather spell in 3.0, 3.5 or Pathfinder, so I'm curious what this refers to?  It lists Control Weather at a later level so presumably it's not that?

Cheers
Luiniel Blades

Spell Energy / Taint +4/-0

"Inch towards daylight"

« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2011, 08:50:28 PM »

Hey Dave, the reason you couldn't find what you were looking for is because Weather is a 2nd level Midnight spell.  There is a link on the right side of the screen on the Home section that leads to Darkness Falls forum that has a list of most Midnight things.

http://darknessfalls.leaderdesslok.com/
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 08:53:32 PM by Luiniel Blades » Logged

Currently reading: Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series; The Hero of Ages.
DaveTheMagicWeasel
Lightbearer

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2011, 02:18:45 PM »

Aha!

Yeah, should've thought to look there really  oops

Cheers!
TwiceBorn
Editor

« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2011, 12:46:42 AM »

here's my retake of the Warg. I wanted to get away from the Animal Companion thing and flesh out the shape-shiftery stuff. I wanted an animalistic path that didn't step on the beast's toes. It ended up being very much based on traditional werewolf legends, but without the psychosis usually associated (there's a touch of that, but nothing that makes the player really lose control of the character unless things go horribly wrong)

These guys are physical powerhouses, which is nice becuase the only other choices for bight a physical powerhouse are the Giantblooded, the Ironborn and the Juggernaut. This gives another option.

Wereling

Characters with this path must chose a single predatory Animal of size Small, Medium or Large. This is the character's Bonded Animal.

1 Predator, Silver Allergy
2 Hunter's Senses
3 Shapeshift (Medium, 1x per day)
4 Shift Sinew (2 points)
5 Ferocity, Lunacy
6 Fast Heal 1 (Silver, Fire or Acid)
7 Shapeshift (medium, 2x per day)
8 Hunter's Senses
9 Shift Sinew (4 points)
10 Ravenous Recovery
11 Shapeshift (Large, 2x per day)
12 Fast Heal 3 (Silver, Fire or Acid)
13 Quicksilver
14 Shift Sinew (6 points)
15 Shapeshift (Large, 3x per day)
16 Hunter's Senses
17 Regenerate
18 Fast Heal 5 (Silver, Fire or Acid)
19 Shapeshift (huge, 3x per day)
20 One With The Beast

Predator: All animals have a sense of you as the animal you share a bond with, and will react accordingly. You gain a penalty to Handle Animal and Wild Empathy checks equal to your level when interacting with any creature that naturally fears or competes with your Bonded Animal. You gain a bonus to those checks of the same amount when interacting with your bonded animal. In addition, you grow fangs. These natural weapons deal 1d4 damage. and deal damage using 1.5 times your strength modifier instead of just your base strength.

Silver Allergy: The touch of silver is uncomfortable. Touching anything made of silver for more than a round causes an immediate painful rash. Prolonged exposure causes damage at a rate of one point per minute.

Hunter's Senses: You gain either Low Light vision, or Scent. If you already have that ability, and you chose it again, it doubles the distance of that sense.

Shapeshift: You gain the ability to shapeshift into your Bonded Animal, gaining all the abilities of an average member of that species. This functions exactly like Beast Shape, except that you may only shift into your Bonded Animal, and you are restricted to the sizes listed on the chart above, and the duration is measured in hours instead of minutes. As you raise in level, the Shapeshift ability functions like the Beast Shape spell of the appropriate level. For example, when a 7th level Wereling uses Shapeshift, it functions as Beast Shape II, because 7th level characters are capable of casting 4th level spells.

Shift Sinew: You gain the ability to shift around your body mass and muscle structure. As a swift action a number of rounds per day equal to 1/2 your character level you may move attribute points from one physical attribute to another. The amount that can be shifted is listed on the chart above. The attribute points must always be moved in groups of two, but do not have to come from, or go to, the same other attribute. For example, a 14th level Wereling could choose to lower their dexterity by 6 points ad raise their strength by four and their con by 2 for one round. Or they could lower their dex by 4 and their con by 2 and raise their strength by six. This effect lasts until your next round, and shifts back automatically unless you choose to maintain the effect (also a free action).

Ferocity: A creature with ferocity remains conscious and can continue fighting even if its hit point total is below 0. The creature is still staggered and loses 1 hit point each round. A creature with ferocity still dies when its hit point total reaches a negative amount equal to its Constitution score.

Lunacy: During the three days of the full moon, as soon as it rises at night, the Shapeshift power takes hold, immediately forcing the Wereling to shift into the form of their bonded animal. During this time, the Wereling can still use their Shapeshift power, but instead of turning them into their bonded animal, it instead changes them into their true form for a short time. During these three days the Shapeshift power's duration is measured in Minutes instead of Hours. Also during those three days, the Wereling takes double damage from silver and must consume their body weight in meat each day. If they do not, they lose control of their conscious selves and become a mad and ravenous beast until they manage to eat their fill, or the full moon is over, whichever comes first. This power always takes on the largest and most powerful form of the Bonded Animal that it can, as defined by the Shapeshift power according to the wereling's level.

Ravenous Recovery: Your metabolism has sped up and changed so much that now meat quickly aids your body's recuperation. You may heal one point of attribute damage per pound of meat consumed. You may eat a number of pounds of meat per day equal to your Con score. (minimum 1, Lunacy supersedes this. During the full moon, a Wereling can, and usually must, eat a great deal more.) You may recover energy drain or negative levels at a rate of one negative level per five pounds of meat consumed. The meat must be raw and fresh to gain the benefit of this ability.

Quicksilver: You may now shapeshift as a Swift action.

Regenerate: You become nearly impossible to permanently kill. You no longer have a threshold at which you die from taking damage. The only way you die from damage is if you take an amount of damage dealt by fire, acid or silver equal to your Hit Points plus you Consitution modifier. So long as the total damage does not equal that much you will continue to regenerate and will eventually wake up. You may now even reattach severed limbs. Essentially, so long as your heart is still able to get blood to your brain, you will survive. This ability does not prevent death from non-damage sources such as starvation, hypothermia, or drowning.

One With The Beast: Your Fast healing increases to 10 and is no longer halted by fire or acid. You may now shapeshift at will.

A player in my game has decided to adopt a modified version of this path (but thanks for providing a solid foundation, DH!). He has renamed it the Shifter. He didn't like the way Shift Sinew worked, and replaced it with an ability called Hybrid Shift.

Hybrid Shift: At 4th level, your humanoid form may gain aspects of your bonded animal. The transformation is a swift action and lasts a number of rounds equal to your level + your Wisdom modifier. Your base speed increases by 10 feet, and you gain a +4 bonus to Acrobatics and Climb checks. At 9th level, you gain a +2 natural armour bonus to AC. At 14th level, you gain a +4 enhancement bonus to Strength.  (Note: this version of hybrid shift was tailored for a PC with a leopard as a bonded animal -- different skill or enhancement bonuses might be more appropriate for other bonded animals).

I think it would make sense for Lunacy to manifest at level 2 -- before the PC learns to consciously shapeshift or take a hybrid form. We have also adjusted Lunacy so that the PC only needs to consume one quarter of his body weight in meat each day, rather than the equivalent of his body weight (we thought that was a bit excessive).

For the 1st level Predator ability, we got rid of the two fangs, and replaced them with the following options: "In addition [to bonuses/penalties on Wild Empathy and Handle Animal checks), you gain either the Aspect of the Beast feat (Pathfinder Advanced Players' Guide, p. 151) or Razortusk feat (APG, p. 168).

Doomed Hero

« Reply #70 on: November 19, 2011, 11:07:46 AM »

Finally getting a chance to respond. Silly real life getting in the way of my fantasy game projects.

I look forward to hearing about your PC's play results go.

I like the idea of moving Lunacy. I'm going to implement that. I also like the first level Feat options. Simplifies things a lot. Now that the feats exist I can use them.

I'm a little concerned about Hybrid Shift. Fist, it has no downside. It's just a static bonus with a decent duration that's a swift action to activate. The only comparable abilities are Rage and Haste. Rage is a swift action with similar duration, but has a small inherent penalty. Haste on the other hand is a similar bonus with no downside, but is a standard action to activate.

I would recommend making the character take a penalty of some kind (perhaps a lowered Int to reflect a more bestial mindset), or increasing the activation time.

Doomed Hero

« Reply #71 on: November 19, 2011, 12:08:42 PM »

I altered the wording on Lunacy to make it 1/2 the body weight of the animal per day, but specifically noting that this is the body weight of the animal not the character's original weight.

Leopards typically weigh about 100 pounds, so your PC shouldn't have too much trouble bringing down game with enough meat. It starts getting to be an issue for the PC who wants to be a Werebear though...
TwiceBorn
Editor

« Reply #72 on: November 19, 2011, 02:51:14 PM »

I'm a little concerned about Hybrid Shift. Fist, it has no downside. It's just a static bonus with a decent duration that's a swift action to activate. The only comparable abilities are Rage and Haste. Rage is a swift action with similar duration, but has a small inherent penalty. Haste on the other hand is a similar bonus with no downside, but is a standard action to activate.

I would recommend making the character take a penalty of some kind (perhaps a lowered Int to reflect a more bestial mindset), or increasing the activation time.

Good point. That having been said, whereas rage provides a PC with a significant boost in power (hit points, and attack bonus/damage output from increased Strength) starting at level 1, hybrid shift starts granting bonuses at level 4 -- and in the case of felines, we have limited that to a +4 bonus to Acrobatics and Climb checks at that level... hardly something that's going to unbalance combat. I also don't think a temporary +2 natural AC bonus at 9th level would really be unbalanced, though the +4 STR at level 14 might be if not balanced with a small penalty... am I correct to assume that your overall concern with hybrid shift was only with the 14th level STR bonus, or do you have concerns about the level 4 and 9 powers as well?
TwiceBorn
Editor

« Reply #73 on: November 19, 2011, 02:55:09 PM »

I altered the wording on Lunacy to make it 1/2 the body weight of the animal per day, but specifically noting that this is the body weight of the animal not the character's original weight.

Leopards typically weigh about 100 pounds, so your PC shouldn't have too much trouble bringing down game with enough meat. It starts getting to be an issue for the PC who wants to be a Werebear though...

Although a real leopard eats much less than 50 lbs. of meat/day, I agree that for the purposes of the heroic path, eating half of the animal's weight in fresh meat makes sense. And as it turns out, 50% of the animal's weight or 25% of the PC's (human) weight end up about the same. 

The PC has just hinted to the first time to his new companions what could occur on the full moon... which is three days away. Some of them are getting nervous, and already discussing the possibility of having to kill him if he should go out of control and pose a threat to them.
Doomed Hero

« Reply #74 on: November 19, 2011, 03:19:15 PM »

Nice Smiley

The amount of meat is supposed to be a correlation to the original wolf-man legends wherein  a person would become feral and be compelled to consume enormous quantities of fresh meat.

I rationalize it as the energy needs of an affliction that causes rapid body change and regeneration. During the full moon the Wereling is consuming enough calories to meet the body's extra energy needs for the next month, and metabolizing it into fat extremely quickly.

It's not really worth putting into the mechanics, but in my game a wereling's post-full moon would come too quite a bit heavier than they were before, and rapidly lose the weight over the course of the month.

Professional athletes pack on the pounds in the off season, and then work out like crazy during pre-season to be at optimum weight. Usually by the end of the season they've dropped weight and muscle mass due to the body beginning to metabolize itself because it is impossible for them to actually put in as much energy as they are using regularly while competing.

Mechanically, these changes would be purely cosmetic, but this is the cycle I imagine happening every month to a wereling.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 03:21:23 PM by Doomed Hero » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Open Discussion (Moderators: Bleak Knight, Glacialis)  |  Topic: Doomed Hero's New Paths
Jump to: