Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 03, 2020, 11:29:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

If you liked something, say so, if you think it can be bettered, say so, commenting on threads and giving ideas for the site are always welcome.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: The Dirge of Clan Tynon  (Read 3599 times)
Kane
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +12/-3

« on: December 10, 2009, 10:52:19 AM »

The following is dedicated to Smeagol.  You asked for a story about the debacle after the fall and a lost treasure and here it is.

The Dirge of Clan Tynon

In the windswept Barrens, miles from any road or trail, is a small, crumbling cairn decorated with scraps of a red and green tartan.  The sad monument appears to have been made in haste with little thought toward form or function. Less then three feet high, the cairn is too small to cover all but the smallest of infants. Crude letters have been scratched into the surface of the largest stone, with just one word – Tynon. 

Barely visible through the rocks is a rotting leather satchel. The cairn appears to have been built to protect it, but years of wind and rain have shifted the rocks and exposed the satchel to the elements. You are torn between respecting the wishes of whoever buried the satchel and knowing that in a few years, whatever is inside will rot and there will be no memory of what was lost. With some remorse the satchel is retrieved revealing a tightly bound oilskin package.  Inside are a handful of crudely tanned skins, each covered in the old norther script.

I barely escaped the last ambush and at least one of my wounds has reopened during the pursuit. I may only have hours before they find my trail and I’m too weak to escape them this time. With my death comes the end of my dreams of Clan Tynon.  I was close to finding the soul of our clan; a symbol to rally the scattered families who fight to survive in this wasteland. If you find this record, maybe you can succeed where I have failed.  I will lead them away from here, but it is up to you to find Anos’s sword and bring us hope.

As the Wall fell and the Dark God’s hordes scoured the lands, the last of our great Mhors, Anos, rallied the clan and sought to buy time for our women and children to flee to hidden sanctuaries. With less then a hundred warriors, he fought a war of sudden strikes and quick withdrawals; always leading the Shadow farther and farther away from our people. His was a noble struggle that stretched well over a year, until with less then a handful of men he was driven into these same barrens.

My grandfather was one of the last of Anos’s raiding party. Wounded, horses dead, and with little food, the Mhor knew that they would not survive for long.  They could hear the baying of the Shadow’s hounds in the distance and they had used up all their tricks to throw off their scent. But it was more then their own death that they feared.  The Shadow wanted the sword of the Tynon’s, Anos’s sword, the symbol of the clan since the great migration north of the Pelluria. That sword, the soul of Clan Tynon, could not fall to the Shadow.

In my youth, my grandfather told me the story of those last days, and how the Mhor hid his sword in a shallow cave, high up an escarpment, in the hopes that maybe he could return and reclaim it if they escaped the Shadow. The Mhor then bid his remaining men to scatter, to rendezvous a little more then an arc later at the clan’s winter pasture. My grandfather waited at that pasture for a full cycle of the moon, but no one came.  He was the last.

The next dozen years were spent constantly on the move, avoiding the Shadow’s patrols, slavers, and dark spawn that hunted on the plains.  My grandfather never had the chance to return to the barrens and retrieve the sword but instead entrusted that duty to first my father and then to me. I’ve spent twenty years seeking that cave, but now, I’ll die, having found the cave, but not being able to save the soul of our clan.

If you’ve found the cairn, you are close. Less then a day’s march to the east are a series of ravines.  In one, you will  find Clan Tynon’s mark, the great stag, no larger then the size of your fist.  That is the proof that the cave is near. There is no path; but a strong man can make the climb.  Beware, there are orcs everywhere.  A warren must be close at hand and their scouts and hunting parties are thick upon the land. I thought I could slip through their pickets but I was wrong and will pay with my life. Succeed where I have failed and bring the sword back to my people. There is still spirit left in the clan waiting to be rekindled.  With this sword the clan will rise again.

Col, son of Agor
smeagol
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +9/-2

Hiding from Shadow

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 05:54:11 PM »

Kane,

I JUST LOVE IT!!!

Thanks, old friend.

"Il n'est pas besoin d'espérer pour entreprendre ni de réussir pour persévérer" - Devise de la famille d'Orange
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 03:17:46 AM »

This. Is. Awesome.

Love it.
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 08:00:54 PM »

Awesome...I like it alot.

Now that's quite a nice adventure hook, right there...

Dunkin stats
Kane
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2009, 08:48:21 AM »

Gents,

Glad you liked it. I was trying to reply to Smeagol's request and come up with a little side quest/adventure intro.  The player's have no way of knowing how old the package is, whether the orcs are still in the area, or even if the sword is still there.  Add to that the issue of finding the scattered clan and proving the sword is the sword from their legends.  Hopefully someone will be able to use it in their campaign.

Kane
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 12:47:49 PM »

Already planning Kane. Smiley

I had an idea of creating a series of short adventures that span from the end of the Third Age (life in the Forts) through some of the Last Age and finally to "present day" Midnight when the "proper" campaign begins. These adventures will probably be run as 'intermissions' from what will soon be our ongoing Ptolus campaign (returned when i finished the current Red Hand of Doom campaign).

This story gives me both a short adventure: the PCs will be part Ano's last riding party; and later on in the campaign itself it could be used when the PCs 'stumble' on it...
Kane
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 02:51:45 PM »

Arnon,

Sounds great.  Wish I was one of the players.

Kane
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: The Dirge of Clan Tynon
Jump to: