Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 03, 2020, 10:57:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

You can enable or disable the quick reply box in your profile, be sure to change the settings to suit your own preferences.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Bryald's Journal - The End  (Read 4854 times)
Kane
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +12/-3

« on: December 07, 2009, 08:30:50 AM »

That’s it for Bryald’s Journal. For those of you who have stuck with me for the past 23 installments, I greatly appreciate it. I hope you enjoyed reading the journal and hopefully gleaned a few things (from my perspective) about the later part of the Third Age. When I started the project years ago, I had planned to take a soldier through a season on the Wall and show the fracturing of the Kingdom of Erenland. I was also hoping to spark some interest in writing a later Third Age series of articles.  Maybe, someday, I’ll return to that idea and do something on the Third Age.

For those wondering about Bryald, I saw him as a person who had both the spark of magic (as seen in the Astirax attack), and being a champion of the Ayrth (having a heroic path). He would rise in the service and fight and ultimately die trying to hold the Wall.
If he were a player character, he would probably be a warrior 1/fighter 2 by the end of the journal.  I was not sure what path I’d give him.  Some options were Blessed, Guardian, or Tactician. Eventually I saw him gaining at least a level or two in Charismatic Channeler.

So, unless there are any questions or comments, I’ll close the book on Bryald and await some new inspiration.  Until then I plan on trying to survive Harrowed’s PbP. Thanks again for sticking with it.

Kane

arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 09:38:38 AM »

Kane,

This was a great piece of writing that I was waiting for every week. Well written and Third Age inspiring.

I'm actually of a mind now to run a short campaign (really no more than an adventure or two) based perhaps on this journal, and if you don't mind, i'd like to even "steal" and use these characters as NPCs.

Not now, but in several months perhaps (when my DM will want a short break).

Thanks for writing Smiley

Arnon
Kane
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 10:14:10 AM »

Arnon,

Steal away.  I enjoyed the writing and was a little sad to see it end.  I'm playing with an idea for a new serial for the new year.  I've got some work to do on an outline and have to see how much time I have.  Let me know if you need anything to support a Bryald game.

Kane
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 12:10:08 AM »

Yeah, I'd like to echo those thanks, Kane.  The stories were very enthralling and well written.  I liked the style a lot...it added a lot of character.  I look forward to your next serial.

Joe

Dunkin stats
smeagol
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +9/-2

Hiding from Shadow

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 10:09:04 PM »

Kane, that was a really nice read. You made the Third Age interesting.

Personally, I'll focus more on the "debacle" (ie, right after the Kingdom of Erenland fell). Lots of things to do: VIPs to protect, secrets to hide (magic, weapons for later resistance to find, old tomes, etc). And then some Last Age PCs will stumble on these hidden "treasures" (not in the D&D sense of the term, rather long-lost knowledge...).

"Il n'est pas besoin d'espérer pour entreprendre ni de réussir pour persévérer" - Devise de la famille d'Orange
Kane
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 11:36:47 AM »

Thank you for the comments, good to know people enjoyed it. I'm working through an outline for events that happened in the Third Age but are told by a survivor in the Last Age - a look back.  Still have to work out some issues on pace and flow. This next one will be slower starting but will have a big bang at the end. If I can work everything out in time, expect the first installment right after the new year.

Kane
Darth Alkar
Lightbearer

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 05:47:55 AM »

I was a pair of episodes late, but now here I am, finished, really pleased and wanting for more!

Great job, Kane. That was a weekly reading I will miss... but I read you have new plans... don't set them aside!

Arnon: would you keep us informed on your mini-campaign? I had a similar idea...  Wink

"There couldn't be a society of people who didn't dream. They'd be dead in two weeks." - William S. Burroughs
arnon

Spell Energy / Taint +8/-4

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 06:30:34 AM »

Arnon: would you keep us informed on your mini-campaign? I had a similar idea...  Wink

I always do Smiley

Though it will be some time from now...
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: Bryald's Journal - The End
Jump to: