Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2020, 03:01:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Did you know that to post outside of the Meta forum you must log in
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Bryald's Journal - Part 21 - The Tempering  (Read 1399 times)
Kane
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +12/-3

« on: November 23, 2009, 07:26:50 AM »

The Captain screamed fire, and a hundred bows sent arrows into the oncoming host. Seconds later more arrows flew out, but the wind and the orcs’ heavy armor limited the effectiveness of our archers. When the orcs were within fifty feet, they responded with heavy spears that punched through armor, driving a dozen or more defenders from the wall. Other orcs tossed grapples or threw up primitive ladders.  I didn’t have time to think, just react, chopping at heavy ropes or at the orcs who tried to scale the battlements.

After clearing ladders from my portion of the wall, I had a chance to see the rest of the fighting.  The orcs were attacking three of the four walls, but were focused on the west wall.  They knew it was the weakest and were determined to break through.  They had the numbers to spread our defense and limit how many men we could put along one stretch of the wall. So far we held the walls, with only a few orcs making it onto the battlements but those few were quickly overcome by small squads of Dorns led by Sergeant Dulthas.  My Sergeant Yoris and the first and second platoon, along with a platoon of Dorns held the west wall.

After what seemed like an eternity, the orc assault stopped and they fell back into the darkness. The snow was covered in blood and for the first time I could hear the moans of our wounded and dying. Our losses had been light, but the orcs could afford to trade lives. They could easily lose five to our one.  All they needed was to take a section of the battlements and we wouldn’t be able to hold them.

The orcs began to chant again and started to move forward.  The dark shapes that I thought were siege engines moved forward and I stumbled back as I saw that the shapes were actually some form of beast.  Standing easily twice the height of a man, these misshapened brutes were lashed together with thick chains.  Between them was a massive ram designed to break through our wall.  As the beasts lumbered forward, the orcs gathered for another charge. The battle would be decided here, at the west wall.

Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: Bryald's Journal - Part 21 - The Tempering
Jump to: