Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 03, 2020, 04:17:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

If you are unsure how a given part of the site will work, try using the help page, it can help you use codes and navigate the site.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Bryald’s Journal – Part 3, the Upper Ishensa River  (Read 1582 times)
Kane
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +12/-3

« on: September 10, 2009, 04:28:04 PM »

Since the murder, everything has changed; our once easy pace has become almost a sprint, as we continue north toward the Ishensa Gates. The sergeants are pushing us harder bypassing the normal rest stops and camping along the river. Each night we post a full guard detail and bank the fires to make the camp less visible. The mood of the company is grim; the murder overshadows every conversation, every decision. From the whispers I hear, not everyone believes that it was one of the camp followers who killed the recruit; we may have a murderer in our midst. 

This morning we passed by the fortress of Riverford, the halfway point to the Ishensa Gates. As we marched Sergeant Yorin told us of the defense of Riverford at the end of the Second Age. The fortress held back an orc host for the better part of an arc, before the inner walls were breached, buying vital time for the King to gather an army north of Davindale. When the relief army came, they found less than a score of defenders still alive, barricaded into the lower storerooms. Looking over the company, I wonder if we’ll have the courage of the defenders of Riverford. 

Each day past the fortress, the farms and villages grow farther apart. There should be farms all along the riverbank and herdsmen and hunters driving the boro west to Bastion. The land feels empty as if life has fled. The few farmers we see carry weapons and leave their fields well before the sun sets. The farmsteads are made of heavy stone and few have more than slits for windows. Villages are walled and guarded even during the day. The war against the Shadow, which seemed so distance in Davindale, is very real here and our daily weapons drill has taken on a new urgency. 

For the past few days, ever since we passed Riverford, I’ve felt like I was being watched. Initially I brushed the feeling aside thinking it was just long forgotten childhood fears resurfacing. Each day I scanned the horizon and peered into every building we passed, but I found no proof that someone was watching me. I couldn’t shake the feeling so this morning, I approached Sergeant Yorin and told him I felt we were being watched. His response surprised me, he asked if any of my family had every trained as a channeler. I told him no, but he said he wouldn’t be surprised if I had the spark in me. He said the Shadow has eyes and ears everywhere, and it was likely that we were being watched. He told me that I should trust in my feelings; they would keep me alive.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: Bryald’s Journal – Part 3, the Upper Ishensa River
Jump to: