Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2020, 08:27:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

If you want to know when a new thread is posted try subscribing to a forum.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: A eulogy for a prince  (Read 4870 times)
Doomed Hero

Spell Energy / Taint +11/-4

« on: July 06, 2009, 06:50:24 AM »

Tonight, after 20 months of game time, at the climax of the 2nd full story arc of the campaign, Hrothgar Durgis, Prince of Durgis Rock, Son of Dorthane Woden the ninth, was laid to rest.

He was slain defending the ancestral homeland of his people, the ruins of Old Calador, from invasion. A powerful dragon struck him down but the dwarf's equally powerful will and unrelenting purpose drove his spirit onward long after his heart had stopped beating. Even after the dragon's breath had melted the flesh from his bones, he still fought on, empowered by the spirits of his ancestors, eventually cleaving the drakes head off with two powerful chops of his father's mithril axe.

Upon slaying the dragon and driving out the shadow's forces Hrothgar held on to his corporeal form long enough to pass his fathers axe and his grandfather's helm to his brother, Woden, son of Woden who was named Dorthane of Clan Durgis.

His spirit, now trapped in the spirit world, has taken on the role that his ancestor Durgis the First once fulfilled, that of The Voice of Ancestors. Hrothgar is now bound to the helm of Durgis, which is now worn by his brother. He gives council and guidence even after death.

His last act of selflessness was to posses and guide Dunken Durgis; his own cursed and dying mentor, and Khaz Bloodfist; his once hated, now trusted Orc companion, into crafting and enchanting powerful dwarven weapons in the flooded underwater tomb of Theodrin the First, Prophet King of the Dwarves. The weapons are scripted with final messages from their dead companion and made with his own rune-carved bones worked into their design.

Hrothgar's legacy lives on in the clan he reforged. He is survived by his brother Woden, his adopted brothers Berodin, Fenrir and Xein and by his adopted sister Fedwin. They, and the others that new him well, now each carry a piece of him into their further battles against the tides of darkness. His spirit is with them. H

Hrothgar was given voice by my good friend Kristopher "Kit" Moreland who made sure that all of us who met the brooding dwarven prince will carry a bit of him with us as well.

With these words I honor a fallen hero.

I invite any of my players to use this thread to recount their favorite moments of our very own Prince of Destruction.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 06:56:10 AM by Doomed Hero » Logged

Jack Chick, Abdul Alhazred, and Aleister Crowley walk into a bar...
smeagol
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +9/-2

Hiding from Shadow

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 05:03:36 PM »

What an epic end !

"Il n'est pas besoin d'espérer pour entreprendre ni de réussir pour persévérer" - Devise de la famille d'Orange
Aiden
Disembodied Spirits

Spell Energy / Taint +0/-0

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 02:37:33 AM »

Ya know, Hrothgar never really had a way with words, and he knew it too, but he saved my life more times than I can count and I owe him many thanks for that.. For two people who were really nothing alike at first glance I think he understood Aiden better than almost anyone else in the party..

Hrothgar wasn't the ideal picture of a leader, but that never stopped him from taking up the mantle.. god knows that bastard got us roped into more side quests that any sane person would ever ask for... he's also the only dwarf I've ever met with the uncanny ability to improvisationally toss the blade of his ancestral axe down a crag shaft that was about the size of the blade of an ancestral axe.. these only stick out in my head among the many improbable, albeit possible, acts of heroism that he's committed. I'll be damned if anyone else ever tries to claim they won an arm wrestling contest with the ocean. In fact, I'll call them a liar and explode them if they do.

Clearly, Hrothgar was, and I even say this quite literally, a larger than life character.. I don't think there will ever be another dwarf like him and a large tip of the hat goes to Kit.. what he may ever lack in technical prowess, and ability to abuse the system, he makes up for in double with his commitment to the game, his character, and his party mates.

It's been a complete joy to watch Hrothgar develop into the Prince that he is over the past nearly two years,
I look forward to seeing what death has in store for Hrothgar, or rather what he has in store for it..

*Raises a large Glass*
To Dwarf with the largest spiritual beard I've ever seen

Oh and Doomed, I'll give you the great honor of explaining the Ludicrous Death Machine that we built in his honor...
Sholano
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 12:56:26 AM »

"He wrestled with the ocean, and held it at bay.
Where he walked, the earth split asunder.
The storm was no match for his fury.
And though the fires consumed his body, his spirit only burned brighter."
-inscribed on the side of the Prince of Destruction (a siege engine built in the memory of Hrothgar Durgis), by Sholano Gale.

Here's to Hrothgar. He was a f**in' dwarf.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 02:14:14 AM by Sholano » Logged

"You want me to what?! ... Gimme a minute."
Dorin's combat data | Dorin's character sheet
dimitri mazieres
Heepa-Heepa

Spell Energy / Taint +1/-0

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009, 11:22:13 AM »

Wow... That is the kind of campaign I would love to play in.
Congratulations to all who where involved in it. It sounds as if it was a truly epic experience.  Smiley

"Many point out that this battle against the darkness is an impossible one, and they may well be right. Impossible or not, however, the battle for righteousness is one that only a few heroes are brave enough to undertake"
Berodin
Disembodied Spirits

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 12:10:28 AM »

"Hrothgar.

Warrior. Friend. Leader. Prince.

Brother.

Hrothgar. As your companion and ally, and above all else, your brother, I say to you now...you are one of the things I love in this world the most, above all else. You were always there to guide me in our youth, you taught me the way of the dwarf, taught me how to stand tall and firm, an immovable pillar when the weight of the worlds bore down on me...You showed me how to be stronger than our enemy, and how to channel my frustration and helplessness into true, concentrated rage, that we could unleash on our foes...together as one.

I stand as tall as I do now...because of you. More important that the battle you taught me to fight however, I believe is the most important lesson of all; the heart of what it means to be a dwarf: You taught me what it meant to have a family.

For every act of bravery or feat of strength I can lay claim to, there are three that follow your name when the winds whisper of the fear you strike into our enemies hearts.

You held a bridge single-handed against a stone-machine of the shadows dark designs, Buying your allies enough time to strike at the beast.

You defeated an Oruk Captain in one-to-one combat.

You cleaved a mountain in two.

You wrestled the very heart of the oceans, and emerged victorious.

You pulled you allies on a sled made from lashed-together shields, 60 miles.

While I lay pinned against the cave wall, trapped by the immense girth of e Delver, you MOVED IT. Not even an ancient keeper of the mountain could stand against the fury of my Brother.

When all seemed lost, and the dragon's fiery breath and devastating claws ripped the last breath of life out of your Mortal Body, The pure unadulterated rage of a hundred generations of Dwarves fueled you while you bested the mighty Dragon.

Hrothgar, my Brother. It would be an understatement to say that this band of weary resistance members will never be the same without you. Your death has brought me to my knees. Never in my 20 years fighting the shadow have I ever felt so much pain...But take heart my brother, for Your Brothers, Fenrir and I both, will live on and fight in your name. I promise you, I will use your last gift to me to destroy the Shadow. I will cleave through their pitiful ranks with a smile on my face, and the song of Durgis on my lips. The filthy Orcs (sorry Kaz) Will learn to fear the dawn. I will teach them just HOW angry a dwarven raised Dorn can be. In your Name, I raise a glass of fine ale, and with it I remind you that your death has not been in vain.

TO HROTHGAR, THE PRINCE OF DESTRUCTION!...

May the shadow forever fear his name..."

-Berodin, son of none.
The Right Hand of the Durgis Clan
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 09:08:52 AM by Berodin » Logged

A Barbarian must
Be satisfied.
He seems boring to others,
But he has his great secret.
That is,
He can keep up with ToB classes
In raw damage. Though he is
Often a dip class,
\\\"I attack again\\\" has its merits!
Sholano
Bane of Legates

Spell Energy / Taint +3/-0

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 02:15:39 AM »

Wow... That is the kind of campaign I would love to play in.
Congratulations to all who where involved in it. It sounds as if it was a truly epic experience.  Smiley

Ain't over yet. Been running almost two years now, and the campaign continues, although that leg of it is over. As a matter of fact, in a few months here, when Doomed Hero (our GM) moves away, there's been some talk of moving it to this site as PbP, if in a reduced fashion.
Aiden
Disembodied Spirits

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 12:49:55 AM »

Ain't over yet. Been running almost two years now, and the campaign continues, although that leg of it is over. As a matter of fact, in a few months here, when Doomed Hero (our GM) moves away, there's been some talk of moving it to this site as PbP, if in a reduced fashion.

I hadn't heard any of this talk. but I suppose it is a viable option..
and although we're done with this leg, I really can't say I'm the least bit excited about some of the things we're heading towards..
every time I think something is going to ease up on us.. I remember why I wish I'd never told DH I'd be his plot-monkey..

anywho.. if we only have to lose one party member per major story arc, then I'm sure we'll be able to last a fair bit longer  Wink
Doomed Hero

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 01:56:37 AM »

every time I think something is going to ease up on us.. I remember why I wish I'd never told DH I'd be his plot-monkey..

Who took the gag out of your mouth?! Git back in yer hole, monkey! Git!!
Prince_of_Destruction
Heepa-Heepa

The Durgis Juggernaut...at the start of the madnes

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 02:25:51 AM »

Gald to see that Hrothgar was admired and honored by others. After we finally have his wake. I'll post his words to the party. I still have to come up with how Woden is taking all of this.

Hrothgar! Murderating the forces of Iz-ra-dor! Hrothgar!!!
Doomed Hero

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 03:03:35 AM »

He's taking it like a dwarf, which basically just means he's taking it, and no one will probably ever know.
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: A eulogy for a prince
Jump to: