Home forum Help Search Login Register

Site Sections

User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2020, 07:31:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

Site Tips

Check the links box on the front page, there you will find all Midnight sites we are aware of.
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: Return
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Author Topic: Return  (Read 2188 times)
Bleak Knight
Global Moderator

Spell Energy / Taint +13/-7

AKA Draug

« on: April 08, 2009, 05:45:04 AM »

RETURN

Twilight had caught up with him as he made his way across the bracken fields around the fortress. Harsh brush had replaced the crops of years past, dripping with thaw. His boots squelched in the muddy soil. Spring had come. Almost.

Glistening snow clung to the cold stones ahead of him, reflecting the light of the setting sun with a false promise of warmth. The sun had not yet set, and he was glad for it. He had no wish to sneak upon them in the dark.

Their home was a ruin. Towers shattered, gatehouse obliterated, walls torn down. It had been a wasted thing for as long as he could remember. Destroyed and neglected, the broken castle had been a safer refuge than it had ever been in its glory days.

When he had left, green moss, fresh straw and young saplings had flourished along the ramparts and in the courtyard. Now, dry winter trees straddled the broken stones with their brittle roots, shivering as he did in the winter wind.

Someone should have spotted him by now. He made no effort to stay hidden, but made his way onward.

They came out to meet him as he crossed through the remains of the gatehouse, into the shadows of the courtyard. Silently, they climbed out of their hiding places and surrounded him, armed and ready. They were few, yet more than he had feared.

The wind had died down when he entered the compound, but he still felt colder than he had outside the walls.

Their walls, now. It has been so long.

A man spoke up. He knew the weathered face, but had forgotten the name.

“You”.

“Yes”.

His mind recalled something, and his eyes drifted down the man's arms. The fingers on his left hand were nothing but uneven stumps. He smiled a little inside, but it didn't reach his lips or eyes.

It was orc teeth, yes it was. Hello again, Fingers.

“You've been gone a long time, friend”.

“Yes”.

“Yet still alive”.

“Still alive”.

“Can we trust you?”

He pondered that for a while, and thought of the dead and gone. Listened to the falling snow
and the sound of his own breath. Felt the chill of winter and the cold of their eyes on him.

Who are they?

They had been his brothers, once. Some of them, at least.

“With time, perhaps”.

“I hope so”.

“As do I”.
Hi guys,

Long time, no see everyone. I'm back now, though. I hope I'll have something to contribute soon.

BK
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 05:50:25 AM by Bleak Knight » Logged
Pheros

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-2

« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 08:31:43 PM »

Welcome back BK!  Good to see your return.  And I can't wait for whatever new material you have to offer...

Joe

Dunkin stats
Nifelhein
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +22/-0

Whisper's Will

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 08:16:06 AM »

Welcome back to the shadows! Grin

"We cannot live only for ourselves. A thousand fibers connect us with our fellow men; and among those fibers, as sympathetic threads, our actions run as causes, and they come back to us as effects."
 - Attributed to Herman Melville.
Kane
Administrator

Spell Energy / Taint +12/-3

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 09:29:02 AM »

Bleak,

Good to have you back.  Hope you enjoyed your time on the waves.

Kane
Harrowed
Editor

Spell Energy / Taint +6/-1

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 01:36:29 PM »

Welcome back dude.

I like the cut of your jib. How do I subscribe to your newsletter?
-RPG.net
Pages: [1]
Send this topic Print
Against the Shadow  |  Forum  |  Midnight & RPGs  |  Games and Stories (Moderators: Kane, Bleak Knight)  |  Topic: Return
Jump to: